Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Thanksgiving News?!?!?!?!

1. MissTeri
    MissTeri
    I was thinking about dropping the bomb to my family on Thanksgiving. So far I've only told my mom, daughter, siblings, beastie and folks at work. I haven't told extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) because they are so gossipy, if that's a word. I don't want to here "you're not that big", "you don't need it" because honestly those quotes will make me scream. With my family I know that's what they're saying to my face but what they're saying behind my back is probably worse.

So I'm conflicted. Why do I want to tell them, because rumors are already floating around and all I did was lose a few pounds from the pre-op diet. I mean I shouldn't care what they think anyway, right?
  2. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Everyone's different about who they want to share this news with. Believe it or not, ALL of the above is prone to gossip. Some may even sound supportive on the outside but inside they are forming their own opinions. Isn't the world challenging? I say, share it with who you want to when you want to. I have decided that this journey is very personal, so the only people that know about it is my immediate family, three co-workers (one I had to share because they management me,) and two friends. That's enough for now!
    Wishing you the best on your journey!
  3. dq1
    dq1
    I have told my mother and my bf, that's all. When I told my bf, it moved him to consider surgery; he will have his before I get mine. I will share my journey with everyone else once they see a noticeable difference. Perhaps I can inspire someone.
  4. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    I told my mom, husband, aunt, and 14 year old son and they were very understanding. I told my aunt because she had stomach stapling years ago and is interested in surgery. My mom and husband are interested in surgery and my husband just got approved. I told one sister a few days before surgery and I was so surprised that she was so understanding. I was going to tell my other sister while we were working out one day. I told her I needed help and she gave a speech how I don't and I can do it, so I didn't tell her. I ended up telling her when I got out the hospital and she was upset that I didn't come to her. I never told my father or brother and my sisters and mom didn't either. My mom, sisters, husband and I struggle with weight so they can relate. Only 2 friends know because 1 person we did this whole experience together and my other friend already went through it. My best friend, friends, co-workers, and other family don't know. I feel it's my business and if I want them to know, then I will tell them. I think I don't want to be judged because everyone isn't so understanding. Some people believe that we are taking the easy way out. My father noticed my weight loss but this is an ongoing thing for me to lose 50-60 lbs in 5-6 months and keep it off for the year, then gain it back, plus some. My son is athletic and is very supportive. People will gossip anyway, which is sloppy, just come to me and ask me. You do what you feel right, this is your business and not theirs.
  5. MissTeri
    MissTeri
    So I'm back to not sharing. I told my sister and she gave me that line "I'm taking the easy way out" but she's crazy because her weight is worse then mine.

So I'm not telling anyone else...yet. When I get to my goal weight, if someone asks then I may tell them. You all are right, it's none of their business.
  6. Seahawksfan
    Seahawksfan
    At first it was really hard for me to tell people. I had a 3 month wait before I could have surgery and I didn't tell anybody until the third month, and even then it was only my mom, best friend and SO. Now that you can see the difference, it's a lot easier for me to just come out and share. Even still though, sometimes I don't. It's very personal and like you, I don't like other people feeling the need to try to change my mind or scare me. I hope your family comes around and starts supporting you. The choice to lose weight, when your overweight, can be nothing but a good thing. Good luck!!