Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

One month out, will I ever get the hang of this new normal in eating????

1. Forestgalice
    Forestgalice
    I'm still finding my way after surgery on the 21 Oct. I am in the puree phase, but I've tried scrambled eggs (only can eat one) and I've had some tuna with mayo, tried some pot roast last night, that hurt! mostly I don't feel hungry, and I know I am not getting in enough fluids and maybe shorting myself with protein. I picked up some protein pudding at GNC, lactose free, glutein free and full of protein. it was amazing and expensive, but the cans are 8 oz. so I can make two meals out of them. the sugar free pudding were for some reason making me gassy (milk sensitive I think) I am able to slowly eat whole grain toast with peanut butter, that is delicious, but only half a slice, gotta learn to just prepare less!!!
    haven't tried veggies yet except squash, that was a nice change. things I had at beginning like yogurt or applesauce are not appealing to me at all.
    So what are y'all eating or trying out?
  2. LaurenClaire
    LaurenClaire
    I had my surgery a week before you did and am in the same situation! It was hard to get all my fluids down and I still don't think that I get enough. I am drinking protein shakes (Atkins and Glucerna) to make sure I am getting enough protein in. I haven't tried toast yet. I have learned the hard way, several times, that one bite too many will make me sick.

I saw a recipe somewhere for ricotta cheese w/ marinara sauce - so doctored that up one night and it was good. I've eaten tuna, refried beans, pudding, cottage cheese, fruit, (canned, not raw yet), malt-o-meal, sushi/sashimi (no rice), hummus. I just added crunchy stuff - pretzels 'cause I was missing that. I'll try anything once, but am comfortable where I am now. Taking things a little slower than my NUT and dr suggested.
    Hang in there!!
  3. JeanethReinoso
    JeanethReinoso
    I had my surgery the same day as you forestgalice and I they have advanced me to phase III already which is solid foods and boy o boy does it hurt! So I kept myself back a little and am just trying to take it slow! I was however discouraged at my last dr. appointment on Monday as I had only lost 2lbs since my last visit which was 2 weeks prior to that! I am rethinking everything and want to go back to square one and see if that works! But since ive had a taste of food I find it hard to want to go back to 3 protein shakes a day!
  4. Forestgalice
    Forestgalice
    thanks for the feed back fellow Oct to ber sleevers I also find I'm drinking more protein drinks and jello to get in the fluids and not feel dehydrated. I've come to the conclusion that I'm so tired in part to not taking a beverage out with me, if I go more than an hour and not drink I am done, just get tired and sick feeling, so gotta really be prepared for outings I guess. I'm dying to have something crunchy and I just die when they advertise pizza on tv, I imagine the crush!!! I know I know.......but one can dream
  5. Chancelet
    Chancelet
    Had my surgery on the 29th, and am on purees. I've had soft boiled egg, which made me nauseous, fried plantains, but could only take a few bites. I haven't tried bread or anything crunchy yet - afraid of the pain. I've had some peanut butter by itself, which can be a filling snack. I'm getting almost over the commercials - skip over most of them. The hard thing for me is passing so many restaurants! They make me want everything... pizza, burgers, fried chicken, burritos... the list goes on.

I do need to get more protein shakes. I've run out of the pre-made kind and need to pick up some more. I've heard of protein shots and may give that a try. With water, sometimes an hour passes and I've realized I hadn't had any, especially when I'm busy. Got to keep water in mind.
  6. leehee
    leehee
    I was sleeved 10/28 and I have to keep a log for water and protein. I find it easier to do at work - guess I need a schedule. Also, I don't like the water at work so I am a heavy water enhancer user. People get a little jealous when I'm enjoying my grape Crush flavor! I've been able to go down to 1 shake a day and still get my 70-90 grams of protein in, but that's mostly due to cottage cheese & Greek yogurt. It would be really hard if I couldn't do dairy. You can do it! I've found that low fat deli meat goes down pretty well. We can do it!!
  7. kstarnes77
    kstarnes77
    Reading these, I feel like I must have a stomach of steel! I do think I have progressed too quickly as it has been so easy to continue to eat the type of foods that ive had no problem with. I'm on a regular diet, I just can't eat as much. I still need to figure out a workout plan, im terrible at this! I also have a difficult time with the chewable vitamins, I feel like I have to really motivate myself to eat them and all protein shakes are also something I feel i'd be 'choking' down. i'd much rather take the time to figure out a plan and snacks to reack at least 60 g of protein. I noticed the boca burgers, which are very soft for all of you who have had any trouble with advanced texture, have 15 g of protein and that's pretty good! I would imagine not having dairy would be very difficult since cottage cheese and the greek yogurt has such a high protein content for a smaller serving.

I have had turkey meatballs but honestly my first attempt with those did make me sick. that was the only time I have felt sick. I would suggest homemade meatballs that you can make with a meat and egg and power pack the protein in some smaller portions.

I made 2 ounces of deli meat filled with hummus for a meal one day, for two rolls...and it was so filling and at least the hummus added some extra protein. tasty!

thanks for starting this thread, I love reading what others are doing. And I forgot about tuna! ha!
  8. paradoxgal
    paradoxgal
    Tomorrow is my 4 week mark. I'm doing well on soft foods. I made scrambled eggs and toast for my daughter today and had a bite of toast after some eggs - first time I've puked. I started feeling really nauseated and ran to the toilet and just had so much saliva then blam, up a tiny bit came and I instantly felt better. I am feeling good eating soft foods and getting full quickly. Cottage cheese, soft meat and avocado from sushi, chobani greek yogurt, premier protein shakes, cream of wheat, and warm tea. These are the things saving me. It's so strange to get so full off of just a few bites. My biggest challenge is just eating slowly. It's been such a habit of mine to eat huge bites quickly, and starting back into eating tiny little mouse bites is just weird! Oh, I like the salmon - prepackaged by the tuna, but it's more tender. I had salmon salad on Saturday and it was tasty. Hummus and scrambled eggs dont digest well, but I will give it time. I like the weight watchers whipped cream cheese on ham or turkey slices rolled up. 2 of those make a great lunch. I miss fruit, but the tropical flavored sugar free popsicles are really delicious and keep me happy for my sweet fix. Wasn't a fan of the jello and protein shakes phase. I wouldn't care if I never saw another protein shake again!!