Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

suggestions for portion control pre op

1. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    Im in month 4 of my pre op process and im having trouble with portion control and avoiding fast food and junk does anyone have suggestions on how they conqured this. I don't buy junk food at the grocery store my husband is the one who brings it in and ive taked to him and he says hell eat what he wants regardless of the fact I have to control my intake he isn't overweight but diabetic as well. Im trying to make these changes before I get sleeved come jan 2014. Im diabetic as well and have to make sure my sugar levels don't get too low
  2. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    While you may need to control portions now the portion control is done for you later after the sleeve. But your husband sure isn't helping or encouraging you at all. Sorry to hear that. Not much you can do other than ignore the food and do what's right for you... easier said than done I know.
    Good luck
  3. Luann
    Luann
    Sorry he is being less than supportive. I can think of a couple things that would have crossed my mind by now, but then I am no longer married. I guess slipping a hearty dose of laxative into his junk food would not be mature, although knowing it's there would make it easier (for you) to resist.
    I know what it's like to be struggling to accomplish something so important & feel sabotaged. Boo to him!
  4. Gaiatree
    Gaiatree
    Many surgeons won't do the surgery if you gain any weight before the surgery b/c it makes for a fatty liver which can increase the risk of the surgery. The thing that worked for me previous to having surgery was that I went on a 2 week protein diet......I ordered stuff from Bariatric Advantage......had a protein bar for breakfast to control my blood sugar (I cut it up in small pieces and spread it out on a plate to make it look like there was a larger amount), had 3 meal replacement shakes during the day, and Unjury chicken soup protein drink in the evening to avoid all sweet stuff, and lost several #s. Then weaned myself off this regimen and by then I only wanted to eat about 700 calories/day. I suppose my stomach shrank quite a bit and I was miserable if I ate a lot of food and lost 6#s in 2 weeks. My surgeon requires everyone with a BMI of >40 to do this meal replacement diet before surgery for 2 weeks. As far as the junk food goes, maybe your husband will compromise and agree not to eat it around you....or even let you see it. Keep in mind that junk food is junk, and not food; it's addictive & slowly destroys people's health and well being. Good luck!
  5. Jospugjake
    Jospugjake
    I'm in the same boat. Worried my liver will be too fatty. Can't even imagine... Help!
  6. SuddenlySlimmerSusan
    SuddenlySlimmerSusan
    I had an issue with relying too much on fast food for breakfast and lunch pre-op. My nutritionist suggested frozen meals. I stocked up on some of the Weight Watchers frozen breakfasts, and tried the Special K breakfast sandwiches (as an alternative to an Egg McMuffin and Medium Non-fat Mocha at McD's). I also bought a variety of WW and Healthy Choice frozen meals that I could have for lunch (focus on the higher protein ones - but do not buy the Atkins - they are loaded with saturated fat). It helps with portion control (and convenience) - although to be fair I thought it helped more for days when I took them to work. On days when I was at home, I would just eat the frozen meal and then find myself back at the fridge an hour later. I also bought some fiber one and protein bars. I would add those as snacks for days when the frozen meal didn't quite cut it. If you think about it - a 280 cal frozen meal and a 120 calorie bar are probably still far less calories and better portion control than your average fast food lunch. We also had an issue as a family with eating out way too much - so I did some research on the internet and created a cheat sheet with 2 or 3 healthier choices that I could pick from the menus at probably the 10 most frequent restaurants we ate at. That helped too. I didn't lose a ton of weight - but I dropped about 25lbs in 4 months just making those few changes and getting a little bit more exercise. Also don't beat yourself if you eat more one day.