Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

My wonderful surgery experience

1. happyhabit
    happyhabit
    I had the most amazing Doctor and Staff I could have possibly hoped for. I saw Dr Quinones in Mexico. I had never been outside the US and I was going alone. I was a bit scared to do the journey alone BUT as soon as I landed in San Deigo my driver was right there to pick me up. We picked up another gal who was having surgery from her hotel and off we went to cross into Mexico. The drive was beautiful and the driver was very knowledgeable. His wife had recently gone through the surgery also with Dr Quinones and was able to answer questions. As soon as we got to the hospital we were shown our rooms and the nurse came in to talk with me and set up my IV. Next came another nurse who sat and talked to me until the Doctor came in. He spoke PERFECT english as did Alma the 2nd nurse who sat with me until he came in. He immediately put my mind at ease. Told me if he say anything that he felt would make the surgery risky that he wouldn't continue. Also that he would be looking at my gallbladder as well as for any hernias which he would fix because he wasn't going to let me have issues down the road with being sleeved. He truly cared about my well being and said that I was his main focus while he did my surgery and until I woke up he wouldn't start anyone else.

To make sure that everyone is treated like this he will only do a MAXIMUM of 4 patients a day. After my consult I was taken to surgery, given my meds to go under and next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room with him right next to me. He teased me that I had actually fallen asleep after the anesthesia and I must have been very tired from lack of sleep the last couple days. I had slept 2 hours!! He had kept his word and not started anyone else until I was awake. He told me to rest and the nurse would be in the next room if I needed anything, I looked over and could actually see her in the room and knew I was safe. After drifting in and out for a little bit I realized I felt no pain and lifted my gown to make sure there were actually incisions lmao.

Back in my room I fell asleep for a little bit and when I woke up the nurse helped me to stand and walk so I could get the gas moving out of my system. After a couple laps I was very sleepy and went back to bed for the night. The next day Dr Quinones came in and we discussed my surgery. He was very impressed with how easy mine was and he could tell I had followed my pre-op diet exactly like I should. My gallbladder looked perfect and no hernias for him to work on either. He was very good with all my questions and made me feel like I was the only person who mattered. He wasn't rushing to talk with the other patients, I was completely satisfied with everything he told me before he left.

Dr Quinones came back the following day to remove our drains and check for leaks (None of us had any). He sat and answered any questions we had thought up (By this time we were all partying in one recovery room because of how close we all felt to one another). We then left for the hotel that he paid for (Oh if I had brought someone they would've stayed in my room at the hospital not sent to pay for their own hotel room like many other Drs do). While we were in the lobby waiting for our rooms to be prepped Dr Quinones pulled up and told me he had forgotten to give a piece of paper to our driver and asked me to give it. (The paper was something that just made our journey back over the boarder easier but not mandatory, but he went out of his way to make sure things went smooth for us).

After getting home a few days I had been having some dizzy spells and was getting worried. You hear all these horror stories about not being able to reach your surgeon after your discharged yada yada but NOT Dr Quinones. He immediately talked me through things and was able to figure out I wasn't getting enough protein by my symptoms. I am now doing the protein he has suggested and feel 100% better.

If anyone has questions about my experience I am happy to answer. I am extremely happy with my choice of Doctors. I had originally decided on 2 others but after doing lots of research knew that Dr Quinones was the only Doctor for me. He has his own private small hospital, doesn't treat surgery like a production line, is Proctor certified as well as board certified, perfect English, wonderful bedside manner, your not shuttled back and forth for tests (car rides hurt after surgery), and truly cares about his patients.
  2. BabyDoll
    BabyDoll
    He sounds like a great doctor!! Happy losing! =D
  3. lindmar
    lindmar
    Glad you are through it all & on the other side! I had a very similar experience with Dr. Q. He is great!!!
  4. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    I had my surgery with Dr. Q almost 7 months ago and your experience sounds just like the way mine went with him!! I have lost 104 lbs since then and gone from a size 22/24 to a size 9/10!!! I love Dr. Q and his staff!!!
  5. usfgrad34
    usfgrad34
    Thank you so much for your story and the replies. I am scheduled with Dr. Quinones on Dec. 11 and I go back and forth between being scared and being excited. It's hard to find a lot about him because he doesn't do as many surgeries but he sounds like a wonderful man and doctor. Thank you again.