Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

WELCOME, Baby Boomers!

1. Msvetrn
    I just created this group to make it easier to find folks over FIFTY to meet with. NOT THAT I DON'T LOVE ALL THE SLEEVERS!!!
    I just wanted a group we Baby Boomers could come to with perhaps different issues than the younger folks.
    Hope to see the group gets lots of members!
    ~Christy
  2. dutchgal
    dutchgal
    Yeaaaaaaaa!! I was hoping someone would do a site for us older sleevers. My biggest concern regarding the sleeve, which I haven't had yet, is the long term effects of our health. I visited my 90 yr old paternal aunt (91 in two months) and she is spry, alert and very active and still paints and does volunteer work and acts 70....she's amazing and doesnt have a darn thing wrong with her. Her mother, my grandmother was 91 when she died, her two sisters were in their middle 90s when they passed. On my mother's side, her aunts all died in their 90s...........so I come from a long line of very independent women who alllll lived into their 90s with very vital lives.....I don't want this Sleeve to affect my overall health in any negative way..I never get sick, my kids don't either...we have excellent immune systems and so my big fear is that somehow, I will mess up my system.
  3. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Hey, I'm more of a Generation Xer but I wanted to tell you that I liked the groovy icons, MsV! I'll just hang out and see what's coming up for me down the road.
  4. jerzeygirl
    jerzeygirl
    I would think there would be more of us sexy, cougars in this group..lol... Some people who are of our generation, probably won't admit it publicly. I'm proud to be 61 and undertaken this journey. I've never been thin and I always joked that when I die, I want to be thin and not from a disease either. I had health issues and that was my motivating factor in getting the sleeve. My hypertension is gone, diabetes is "normal" at this point and I'm getting ready to have a sleep study to determine if I can ditch the CPAP! I wanted to make sure I minimized my risks for co-morbidity from my health issues, not to mention I wanted to wear some tight jeans and sexy undies... Glad there is a group of people our generation and hope some of the guys join in as the male persective is always welcome. Hope everyone is doing well with their new lifestyle and let's share ideas, news, etc. Maybe if I get the nerve for some pics, that would be great!
  5. klassicant
    klassicant
    Hello, I am "over 60" and am a laband to sleeve converter. My surgery is on Oct. 4 and I am looking forward to it. I am not anticipating any problems. We are going to Germany the first week in Dec. and I hope to be well along by then. I am looking forward to being thin aain as I gained weight because of 3 years of prednisone. Any input on after surgey is welcome. I am a go getter and don't sit around for long!!! Glad to be aboard
  6. Gabby
    Gabby
    Hello All, I am so glad I found you and hope to see this continue. I just hade the sleeve done 9/19 and am so looking forward to my new life and mobility. jerzeygirl, I like your way of thinking, both about the health and the jeans and undies! I'm so looking forward to the freedom of mobility and am already walking like crazy. I'm so glad I made the decission I did.
    My name is Gabby and I'm 53, hope to see more posts here cause I'd just love to get to know more people in our age group.
  7. shartman
    shartman
    Hello everyone. I just joined this forum and joined this group. I'm 52 and surgery is scheduled for Oct 10th. Started my liquid shake diet 2 days ago. I was thrilled to find an over 50 group! I have one question to ask y'all. My Dr. has me on optifast shakes right now and I bought an additional 2 weeks worth for after my surgery. They run $2.43 per shake and I really can't afford to use them past the 2 weeks post-op period. Does anyone know of a brand of protein shake that tastes pretty good that would be cheaper than $2.43 per shake??? Any info on this would really be helpful to me.Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated! BTW, my name is Stephanie and I live in TX.
  8. klassicant
    klassicant
    I had my pre-op physical and my meeting with the hospital and my surgeon all this week -- so am set to go. My surgery is next Tuesday!! I am ready. I pureed food today in my "bullet" blender. I pureed chicken roast beef, carrots, raspberries, peaches and apples and froze them all. I also have unjury protein and some of the EAS protein drinks on hand for my first two weeks. I keep reading on here how many Dr's want you on liquids for 1 or 2 weeks post op. My Dr. will have me on liquids 1 day and then on day 2 I go on pureed food and protein shakes for 2 or so weeks and then introduce foods as I can tolerate them. I am so looking forward to this surgery and losing this weight. I can't wait to get into clothes a size 8 or 10 AGAIN.My name is Krista and I live in Iowa.
  9. Gabby
    Gabby
    EAS protein can be bought as a powder or ready made shakes. The powder cost around $10 and a four pack cost under $5 at Walmart. I like the vanilla and can add SF coffee flavors like carmel, Toffee etc to change them up. I hope this helps.
  10. Pixie
    Pixie
    Nice to meet all of you! My name is Pixie and I'm from North Carolina. I've been over weight my whole life and I'm so happy to have had the opportunity to have had the sleeve procedure. My health had continued to decline and I knew that if I didn't do something drastic I wouldn't be walkiing in another year. My son is fourteen and very active in sports and I wanted to be around for him. I know this is the best decision I've ever made. I think I will be better off in the long haul for having this done. I'm looking forward to the day that I can wear normal clothes from a store anywhere. Life is good!
  11. Gabby
    Gabby
    Welcome Pixie, I am a Sept sleever as well. I feel this decission was an invetment in my future. Best of luck to you. Gabby
  12. connie
    connie
    Hi Gals---I am so happy to join this group. I know some of you from the open forum, but some of you I don't---so, it is nice to meet you. THE only problem that I am dealing with right now is the bowel movement or opening of the bowels as someone said. I am trying to find the right softener/laxative/or WHATEVER THE HELL is going to work for me. I am giving Myrilax a try now, so far--NOTHING!!! BUT I do have faith that soon---yes, very soon I am going to be able to report that I have had a moving experience!!! My friend told me that it would take about 3 days for it to get me regular---PLUS---no kidding, think about this---we aren't putting that much in so there just can't be that much to come out---BUT--- I have been down this 3 day no action before and soooo do not want to go there again---time will tell---Blessings to you sistas---Connie
  13. TucsonAmy
    TucsonAmy
    I'm so glad to find this group. i thought I was the oldest person to have the procedure. I'll be 65 when i have it done on November 24the I hope it's not too late for me. I know i will be a mess of wrinkles when i lose my weight, so I'm not doing it for beauty. I just want to feel younger and have more flexibility and energy.
  14. Mary S
    Mary S
    Hey y'all! Newbie to this entire forum here. Will be sleeved on 10/14/11. So glad to see a group for over 50's - we do have challenges that the younger members don't, but they sure are catching up to us, aren't they!
  15. slangland
    slangland
    Hi eveyone! My name is Susan and, I, like you, Tucson Amy, just turned 65 in August. I'm already in the referral process and just waiting for my surgery date.
  16. teacherdan
    teacherdan
    Hi! I'm 59 and had my GS Mar 29, 2011. I've lost 105 lbs. so far. I've always wondered why others chose to have a GS at or about my age. I feel better than I have in years and am really enjoying retirement now.
  17. Gorgeously Free
    Gorgeously Free
    Hello everyone, I so love all your attitudes - well I have not even thought of tight jeans and sexy undies for such a long time but I certainly have been thinking about them lately. How nice it will be to walk into normal shops and not feel intimidated and out of place. Im with you jerzeygirl !!! - I go in for my sleeve surgery on 11/03 and have been worrying about my age and how I will go with the operation but after reading your posts I am certainly feeling a lot more positive about it. If anyone has any advice for a 54 year old from Sydney Australia then I would absolutely love to hear it. Oh and by the way gorgeous jerzeygirl - don't forget the stilettos xx
  18. KellyJ
    KellyJ
    Hi! My name is Kelly and I live in Texas. My surgery is scheduled for 11/19/11 with Dr Almanza in Mexico. I am very nervous about the surgery but know it is the right thing for me... Like some of you, I have also been heavy most of my life and I know in order to enjoy or even be able to live the rest of my life, I had to do something. So a week from today it will be over... in the mean time.... any advice?
  19. pberry
    pberry
    Hey Kelly...I am much more nervous remaining obese than the surgery. I went shopping yesterday and could barely walk when I got home. Both my legs and feet were throbbing in pain. I surely do not want to give up shopping. I believe if we focus on the different things that we will be able to do without all these extra pounds it just might over power the fear of the surgery. Ok these are little things but quite significant to me. Able to tie my shoes, cross my legs, roll over in bed without a struggle, play with the grandchild, play with my dogs, and not having to checking a chair for stability prior to sitting down. So far I have quit smoking and I have been on the liquid diet for one week losing 20lbs. It's all good and we will look back on this patting ourselves on the back...cause will be able to...lol
  20. lamessin
    lamessin
    Hi everyone -- I am 52 years old and had the surgery Nov. 10. I am on liquids until tomorrow when I get to have dairy products. So far I am not loving this liquid diet - feel queasy and headachy most of the time. This too shall pass. Looking forward new things!
  21. teacherdan
    teacherdan
    Kelly,
    I'll be thinking of you later in the week when you have surgery. I was a nervous wreck until the day of the surgery and on the nearly 2 hour ride to the hospital, I just calmed down and it seemed a voice was saying, "This is your chance. It will work."

I am a minister to a small church, and before the surgery, it was hard for me to walk anywhere. I used a walker with a seat on it so that I could stop and rest anywhere I needed to. Visiting people in the hospital was a chore, and sometimes I thought I'd end up in the hospital when I went to visit someone!

I've put the walker away, don't even use a cane, and can walk anywhere pain free! Yesterday, I took our youngest grandchild out and raked up a big pile of leaves and we played in the leaves for a couple hours! I could not have even thought about it 8 months ago!

All the anxiety about the surgery, etc., will be worth it in a couple of months. Good luck and may God richly bless you!
  22. scgal21
    scgal21
    Hi everyone! I am 54 years old and scheduled for surgery Dec. 8 by Dr. Ramos-Kelly. I have been gradually putting on weight for several years and I've decided to take back my life. I have, like most of you, tried every diet known to man and a few I made up along the way. I would lose 10-20 lbs and just gain it all back plus some. I have arthritis and a degenerative hip and knee, which makes walking very painful. I miss all the things that "skinny" people take for granted. I am so glad I found this site and all you warm and caring people!
  23. merrowl
    merrowl
    Hi everyone. I am also glad that there is a group for those of us over 50. I am 60 and go in on 12/2. Hope to control my gluscos. I went from 4.5 in Jan to 11.7 now. Getting sleeve and am wondering if anyone has had their spleen removed before the sleeve? If so how are you doing.
  24. magimae
    magimae
    Hi, I will have surgery in 13 days. Very positive that this is the right choice for me. But feeling overwhelmed with the diet after surgery. And I am on medication and I was told I need to find out about crushing medication etc... Has anyone had trouble with medication?
    I as so glad I found this site for answers.
  25. blues*room
    blues*room
    I'm 51 & having my sleeve in 3 more days on Monday Jan 16. Any tips, advice, etc for after surgery will be much appreciated. You may "friend" me you want; I would love it!

How's the excess skin for those of you who have been through this? I mean, do you at least look ok in your clothes? We have a pool & I know I looked horrible in a bathing suit before, but what will I look like this summer after I hopefully have lost at least 50 lbs?

Crossing fingers for an easy recovery! I'm prepared for everything, except I think it will scare the crap outta me if I have vomiting afterwards. That can't be good on a brand new stomach with sutures, right?
  26. Fresh Start
    Fresh Start
    Hi Everyone!

I am 51 and had my sleeve surgery on January the 2nd. Things have been going great so far. I have already lost 22 pounds! Not bad for three weeks.

I am looking forward to being a lighter, more active me. I have arthritis and have pain every day. I have a total knee replacement and my other knee barks at me all too often. I love to fish and hike and don't want to give either of those up.

Also, my daughter is getting married in April, so I am looking forward to buying my 'mother of the bride' dress in a regular size!

Nice to sell all of you here!
  27. JennyA
    JennyA
    Hi everyone I'm a newbie to forums.My name is Jenny and I'm 55 next week I weigh over 350lbs and thank God I don't have any health problems except this weight.I go for my first visit to the Dr next week.I am from the States and now live in Egypt..I am going to see a German Dr named Ralf Senner...He visits here every 2 weeks to do the surgery and follow-up visits.I won't lie and say I'm not scared because I am terrified.But after reading how well everyone is doing I am feeling a little better.I know it must be done because I am slowing down and my energy is also slowing down.Wish me luck and God Willing everything will be okay
  28. slangland
    slangland
    Hi everyone. My name is Susan and I'm 65. I haven't been on the forums in quite some time because I knew my surgery wouldn't be for a while. My appointment with the surgeon is April 26th and I was wondering what to expect and if I would have to go through any other visits before he schedules surgery. I'm really worried that he will tell me I'm not a good candidate but I did go through all the Kaiser classes and they referred me. I do have a few medical problems but I only weigh 166 lbs and I'm 4'11". I feel like I have to get at least 50 lbs off of me so I can walk without pain. Any advice?
  29. Mick
    Mick
    If you were referred then your doc thinks it would be good for you. I saw where the doc I was supposed to did not want to do anyone over 60 but i am 63 and he said no problem. I have had a tripple bypass a few years ago and they sill are willing to do me. We lost our Kaiser insurance through some silly paperwork problem so my surgery was cancelled the week before it was supposed to happen. We just got notified that our insurance was reinstated this week.

God is good!
  30. LindaJ
    LindaJ
    Hello all, I am 57 years young in North Carolina. I was sleeved on 4/3/12. So I expect to be 2 years younger by this time next year :-) They say 50 is the new 40, so I will consider myself young until someone tells me otherwise. I was sleeved, not for existing health problems but to prevent the ones I knew were right around the corner. I was borderline everything. Already I feel better, mobility is better, and I can't wait for the future.
  31. dreamydeb
    dreamydeb
    hi all. my sleeve is this wed and im so excited. im at 190 now .started at 214. really wish there were more posters on this forum. im 51 and cant wait to stop feeling90!anyone here from ny?
  32. Msvetrn
    Hi LilndaJ and dreamydeb!! Congrats on your surgeries...well...deb's is on Wed!!!
  33. dreamydeb
    dreamydeb
    thanks. i was done wed and i feel great.started full liquids toda.tolerated it well. have post up follow up thurs.how are all u doing? cant get anyone to join thisgroup!
  34. vwpeery
    vwpeery
    I was sleeved in mid march and have lost 40 lbs. I am 60 and I know I am going to have way too much skin. I feel pretty good most of the time, unless I eat too fast.
  35. SusanA
    SusanA
    I was sleeved 4/17 and did great until the 4th day. I thought it was going to be a loy easier than I expected.i had been coughing a lot cause of allergies and didn't think I could take my Allegra. Saturday am coughed real deep and felt an awful pain that felt like I was ripping apart. I have pain walking,and especially trying to get up from a laying or sitting position so I have had to sleep sitting in a straight back chair the last 3 nights. There is also a burning sensation and it is also numb at the same time. Ready to be past this part!!!!
  36. K8tie1
    K8tie1
    Hi, my name is katie and I am 64.... My surgery is 7/10/12 in Vancouver, wa. I have tried for three years to get y insurance to approve this. I have very concerned abouth day 1, 2, and3 after surgery! I do water aerobics 5 days a week along with 2 days of yoga so I'm not soooo out of shape in my 234 lbs body!!! What are those three days like after surgery and does anyone REGRET having the surgery??? Thanks see ya in cyber space.... Katie
  37. pstebbins1108
    pstebbins1108
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. My name is Pat and I am 64. Will be 65 in November and will be having my surgery shortly after that. Looking forward to a new beginning. Am interested to know what to expect immediately after surgery and few days following.
  38. Amanda K
    Amanda K
    Hello,
    I am pleased to find this group. I am being sleeved on 8 August 2012, and I am 54 yrs old. I live in Sydney Australia, so not in the USA. I am on the dreaded Optifast and only like the coffee flavour. But I know I will be well and truly tired of it by the time I am a couple of weeks post op. I am planning a trip to Hawaii in late October, so hopefully will be able to shop for a smaller size while I am there and get into a swimsuit. Plus try to get off some meds.
    I too am very anxious about the days after the surgery as it doesn't sound too pleasant, so any info or tips would be awesome.
    Amanda
  39. fit2bfabulous
    fit2bfabulous
    Hello everyone! I am 52 years old and have been battling my weight for the past 30 years. I developed diabetes about 7 years ago and started insulin shots 5 years ago. I am tentatively scheduled for Oct.15th to get my sleeve. I can't wait to start my new life! I especially can't wait to go into Victoria Secret and actual buy lingerie instead of only their perfume while having to endure those "looks".
  40. fit2bfabulous
    fit2bfabulous
    Hello everyone! I am 52 years old and have been battling my weight for the past 30 years. I developed diabetes about 7 years ago and started insulin shots 5 years ago. I am tentatively scheduled for Oct.15th to get my sleeve. I can't wait to start my new life! I especially can't wait to go into Victoria Secret and actual buy lingerie instead of only their perfume while having to endure those "looks".
  41. fit2bfabulous
    fit2bfabulous
  42. ava
    ava
    Hello,
    I will be 60 in 2 months. I have been overweight most of my life. My type 2 DM is currently under control, off BP meds and have lost 39 pounds since my surgery 6-6-12. I also am looking forward to looking good in sexy underwear and tight jeans. I'm also looking forward to having sex again.
  43. ANEWME
    ANEWME
    Hi. Just turned fifty and am happy to join your group. Surgery date was confirmed a couple of days ago and I have never been more excited about undergoing surgery. This will be a life changer for the better. I have been feeling anxious for a while as I am trying to incorporate protein shakes and more soft foods daily. My biggest issue is coffee. I don't drink my coffee black and have reduced the amount I add to the 1 percent milk. This step has been difficult since I love my coffee. Would greatly appreciate your advice on ways to eliminate it altogether.
    Thank you.
  44. ANEWME
    ANEWME
    Hi. Just turned fifty and am happy to join your group. Surgery date was confirmed a couple of days ago and I have never been more excited about undergoing surgery. This will be a life changer for the better. I have been feeling anxious for a while as I am trying to incorporate protein shakes and more soft foods daily. My biggest issue is coffee. I don't drink my coffee black and have reduced the amount I add to the 1 percent milk. This step has been difficult since I love my coffee. Would greatly appreciate your advice on ways to eliminate it altogether.
    Thank you.
  45. ANEWME
    ANEWME
    Thank you.
  46. ChrisJ
    ChrisJ
    Hi, my name is Chris and I think I'm the oldest one on here I'm 67. My surgery is scheduled for December 11th 2012. I have a wonderful life but I can't live it fully being overweight. Like all of you I want pretty clothes and the ability to do anything I want to do - and I still have a lot of things left on my bucket list. I know my skin won't bounce back but I'll deal with that problem when I get there. One issue at a time. So you youngsters who are still thinking about having it done, do it - don't waste another year. None of you are too old to start over and create a better life.
  47. cindygb
    cindygb
    ChrisJ- thinking of you today on your surgery day! Hope all went well!
  48. tuch
    tuch
    Hi, Jim here 54, Sleeve Dec 31 2012
  49. WyomingDiva
    WyomingDiva
    Hello, my name is Susanne. I will be 50 on March 20th, five days after my VSG.
  50. Pamrocks54
    Pamrocks54
    Hi everyone, I am Pam and I am 58 almost 59 years old. I really can't believe I am that old because I don't feel like it mentally but physically my bones ache everyday especially my knees, feet and ankles. I am borderline diabetic and my blood pressure used to be low but is getting higher all the time. I weigh 258 lbs today and my surgery is scheduled for August 5th 2013. I am retiring next year and my husband I plan on travelling in Europe for several months so I really need to get this weight off me now as it is really slowing me down!
  51. healthyandstrong
    healthyandstrong
    Hello I am turning 50 this year and I was sleeved on April 4th this year. thank you for this age group, group. I believe we have different needs than the younger posters and I looke forward to sharing with you all.
  52. Janny
    Janny
    I'm Jan and I'm 57. Why didn't I look into this earlier?? It will be soooo good to resolve my weight issues once and for all. I'm being sleeved in October and I can't wait!! My motivation is watching my daughters have the surgery, and wanting to be around as long as possible to see my gorgeous grandkids grow up. You just don't see 90 year old fat people. I guess my biggest concern about what's to come is my skin. I don't want to be too saggy and I don't want my face to look haggard. Apart from that - yay!!!!
  53. Carmen1963
    Carmen1963
    Thanks for creating this group! I just hit 50 and want to live long enough and healthy enough to enjoy my retirement -Someday!