Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Post-Op Diet Struggles

1. elielizondo
    elielizondo
    I'm 5 days out from my surgery and I am struggling to get a 2nd protein shake down and the 64oz of water. I think I am doing half of that...maybe. My gas pains are ridiculous. My 1st two days were the worst and on the 4th day I started to swallow better but it's still a struggle. I use the magic bullet blender to make my drinks and have found that using the top that is supposed to be for the grated cheese as a strainer for the shakes has really worked well in getting rid of the extra foam and bubbles the blender makes. For some reason, I am having a hard time burping so the pain shoots to my chest, back and shoulders. Ugh. Did anyone else have these struggles. When did it feel normal again?

Good thing is I don't feel hungry so I haven't missed chewing on food just yet! I have 2 more weeks to go on this liquid diet...I know I can do it. Willpower. Also helps that it freaks me out that if I don't listen to dr's instructions then you have to worry about leaks...don't want that!
  2. Laumichelle
    Laumichelle
    I had that gassy dealing pain for a little over a week. It gets better!!!
  3. koolie78
    koolie78
    I am also 5 days out. I have not had any issues with gas. At all. Or pain. I do have a high tolerance for pain but I also had the On-Q pain thing that I took out early. It was more of a nuisance. I'm actually scared because I feel so good. I do have issues getting all the water in but my doctor said make it a goal on week 2, don't worry on day 1. Plus, I never ever have drank that much liquid. Ever. In my life. So, expect that you will have some difficulty. Especially with 85% of your stomach gone, I hope your dr wouldn't expect you to be at goal in a day. Keep thinking positive!! My post appt is this Friday and I can advance to mushy! Already plotting my meal!!! I'm really craving rotisserie chicken!
  4. emotions_of_love
    emotions_of_love
    I am 10 months post-op and rarely (if ever) drink that much water! I usually have a 32oz Powerade Zero bottle and that I sip throught the day. Sometimes a little more, but not often.
  5. Cody0709
    Cody0709
    I am 15 months out, never did I drink that much water.
    I drank two or 3 shakes a day- after week two I started eating chicken soup etc. chocolate pudding.
    After 3 months or less you will be eating all normal foods- anything you want within moderation.
    For instance today we went out to dinner, had half a glass of diet coke, ordered stuff shells and had 2 1/2 of the 5 on plate, after I got my son an ice cream cone and has a few bites.
    After a few months you will be able to feel when you have eaten enough, if you eat to much you will get real tired and cranky for a couple of hours.
    My start weight was 335, current weight 225 been at that weight for 6 or so months.
    Your body will get use to everything and you adjust accordingly.
    Don't concern yourself with all the water, drink what you can in the beginning.
  6. Cody0709
    Cody0709
    Also I had bad gas pains, after 4 or 5 days post op you will wake up and feel like a million dollars.
    Mine were so bad I was in hospital from may 30th to June 2nd.
    June 2nd I walked out of hospital with no gas pain.
  7. freebutterfly333
    freebutterfly333
    I got sleeved on April 25th 2013 Just so you newbies know take biotin and make sure you get enough protein in. At 3 months if you don't your hair will start falling out in handfuls. I'm 4.5 months out and it is still falling out even if I get enough protein, enough water, take my multi vitamins, my vitamin levels are fine, etc. My doctor reports its normal and over 70 percent do loose there hair because of the trauma of the surgery but it will grow back. I love that I did the surgery and would not change it even though my hair is falling out and yes it is noticeable even though I have thick long hair. My highest weight 220 and I'm now 165 woooohooooo!!! I have been the same weight for about a month now. I can also eat what I want now it just takes time. When I first got my surgery it was hard for me to drink water. It was about a month before I could drink normal. I wish all of you the bestest luck.
  8. Jason71
    Jason71
    I am 4 months out (sleeved 4/30/13) and it does get easier. I felt like I was going to burst from all of the built up gas. After week and a half or maybe two weeks u will feel SO much better. I had a hard time getting my liquids in for two months probably and I still don't get 64 oz regularly. Maybe once every two weeks.
  9. RockvilleGirl
    RockvilleGirl
    I was sleeved 6/17 - I definitely didn't get that much water in initially. So first off your protein shakes can count toward your total liquid intake. Within the first couple weeks of surgery I was doing good to get in 48 ounces of liquid. Most days I was between 35-45 ounces. It gets easier. Most days now I still don't get quite to 64 ounces of liquids, and I don't necessarily think I was always getting 64 ounces prior to surgery either.
  10. mcisneros
    mcisneros
    I just had the sleeve on 10/3/13 and I'm really struggling with intaking all my fluids the gas pain is awful!! The only thing that Makes it better is that I'm loosing weight so fast.
  11. Ownit2013
    Ownit2013
    Some one on here was talking about Gas X strips? Has anyone used those? I get my surgery date on 10/18/13 and gas pain seems to be pretty common and I would love to hear any advice to keep it to a minimum!
  12. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    This is from my manual "Gas Pain
    Gas pain is a problem often experienced the third or fourth day after
    surgery. The pain can be mild or very severe and can be relieved by
    walking and by passing gas. Pain medication may dull the pain but very
    rarely resolve it. The use of antacids may provide temporary relief."
  13. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    My Doctor advises to drink 64 oz of water or fluids. I don't do all water. I do water, crystal light, sugar free jello, and or broth. This is considered liquids. My manual also list " Water
     Crystal Lite
     Diet De-caf Iced Tea
     Diet Snapple(fruit juice free)
     Chicken or Beef Broth
     Decaf Hot Tea
     Sugar-Free Jell-O
     Propel
     Decaf Coffee (not for first
    month)
     Fruit2O or Fruit H2O
     Sugar-Free Tang
     Sugar-Free Kool-Aid