Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Check In - how is everyone doing?

1. LisaNunu
    LisaNunu
    This is Lisa - I am 53 and had my sleeve on July 15. So far I am loving the weight loss - having a little trouble with how quick I loose energy though. Not that I was a dynamo before - but seem to get really exhausted pretty fast now. I hear that will pass though and be replaced with a ton of energy! That is something I am seriously looking forward too.
    The swelling is down in my legs (I actually have ankles again- woo hoo)
    How is everyone else doing?
  2. Goldibluqq
    Goldibluqq
    I was sleeved on 7/15 also..I am 56...I lose weight fast..then I was in a 3 week stall..but I'm back to losing. .my energy level is not full yet either..it is amazing how little I can eat now..continued good luck on your journey..
  3. 5DogMa
    5DogMa
    1 year 8 months out now. Not so "in-love" with my sleeve anymore. They honeymoon was over after maybe 3 months. Can eat anything I want just not as much as I want in one setting. But I can eat a whole small McDonald's cheese burger at one sitting or 2 regular Taco Bell tacos in one sitting. I can eat almost as much as I want spread out through out the day.

So, as I've always known. It's just a tool. One you can use or abuse. I've gained back 6 lbs eating ice cream at night and toast for breakfast. I didn't lose as much as I wanted either by 25 lbs. I'm 59 this year and I stopped losing after the 1st year.

This is just like any other weight loss tool. But it's mostly a head game; the same game I've always played with food. Food is my drug, my addiction. I can choose to use or not use. The sleeve doesn't stop the head games. It stops you from binge eating although if I wanted to I could eat a whole large pizza. 1 piece every hour, just like an elephant, just one piece at a time.

Would I do it again? Right now I'll say yes. But ask me again next year because if I don't get this head game under control my answer will be NO - another failed weight loss attempt tool. Food is too easy to use and the addiction so strong. So who do not understand say "why put yourself thought this surgery if you weren't going to use the tool?". I would ask why do so many people do rehab over and over. ADDICTION. At least food isn't illegal
  4. 5DogMa
    5DogMa
    Just one more thing. The hunger came back after the first year so that part was short lived for me. I get hungry now, really hungry.
  5. vivianl
    vivianl
    I am turning 50 in a couple of weeks. I had my surgery on June 17. I have lost over 60 lbs but I am not thrilled because I am having such a hard time eating. I can't digest any meat of any kind or even solid foods. I throw up every time I eat. This must be what bulimics feel like. I am afraid to eat and I am so sick of protein powder!!!
  6. ChrisJ
    ChrisJ
    I agree, it's still a head game after 8 months and 70 lbs. but a binge is now a 1/4 cup of ice cream instead of a 1/4 gallon. I'm 68 and.feel good about the surgery. It stops me from mindless eating and gives me time to rethink a bad choice. I have time to walk away before I make a further bad decision. I am about 15lbs from goal and I can see me not living a food dominated life...for the first time.
  7. The_Redhead
    The_Redhead
    I'm 52. I'm hoping to get a sleeve in October (after I turn 53).
    Previously I had a lap band and I loved it. It was tough living with one but once I realized that it was in charge and I had to respect it; life was good. Unfortunately, I had a adverse reaction to a medication I was taking and ended up slipping my band. I've gained back all the weight I lost and found a few extra pounds along the way. I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to 'being sleeved'.
  8. Town976
    Town976
    Hi! I'm Jan and I am 54. I had my sleeve surgery on July 23rd and I am doing great! Today is the most normal I have felt. I was able to do some housework and exercise and not feel like taking a nap. I am still working on determining what "full" feels like. But I am loving it. I no longer work, so I am home all day and don't have to battle the temptations from working in an office and having to eat lunch out. If I have to have something during the day, I will have string cheese.

Good luck to all!
  9. vickybeads
    vickybeads
    Hi ya'll. Victoria checking in. Had my sleeve done 19 Nov 2012. Turned 59 in last month. I'm down 68 pounds as of this morning. 12 lbs away from goal (although hubby thinks I've lost enough). I keep telling him, I know I'll gain 10-15 lbs, so I want to go under and have some wiggle room.

I don't really exercise, although I try to hit 5000+ steps every day; I try to get in at least 40-80 grams of protein a day (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't); I try to watch the carbs and fat (although I won't turn down a bit or two of candy occasionally; and I definately try to get in 64+ ounces of water every day. Weekends are the hardest, so I weigh myself on Monday - kind of a self kick in the butt to stay on track.

No boobs and no butt (well they're still there, just need to hang upside down every day to get them back where they belong ).

Cheers!
  10. BCmomabear
    BCmomabear
    I'm 56 and 13 months post sleeve. I have lost 76 lbs and have been sitting at 202ish for 2 months. I certainly could improve what I eat, as I have more of an appetite and really need to be mindful. I am beginning to wonder if I really even WANT to get under 200. Maybe I am undermining my goal to get to 160... maybe I actually don't want to. I don't know , I just know that I'm not trying as hard as I was earlier. I never exercise, but I walk hours every day. If I break 200 I will be jubilant!! In the mean time I am thrilled to be wearing a size 18 and have everyone call me skinny. I don't want to be too hard on myself, as those days are hopefully behind me. I love my weight loss and loosing more would be wonderful. I get on the scale at least once a week. If I stop doing that, I know I'm in serious trouble as I know I need to "keep it real"!! Don't beat yourselves up too much ladies. We're not perfect, just a work in progress.
  11. TexasLady
    TexasLady
    Hello fellow Sleevers! My name is TexasLady (Dylee Beall); I am about to turn 62 this coming October; and I was sleeved on June 3, 2012. I have always had stomach problems, which continued after my surgery. I had a difficult time after surgery because I had a very bad reaction to the morphine. But I am completely fine now. My starting weight was 217. My goal was 140 lbs. I now have maintained my weigh at 132. I weigh everyday. That works for me because in the past when I would go a week w/o weighing, I would get scared to even weight myself, and it doesn't take long for your weight to get out of control if you don't stay on top of it.

After reading about some people gaining weight after a period of time, I just had to set the record straight. First of all, be patient, it takes a long time to heal and an even longer time to learn what you can eat and what foods you need to stay away from. During your time of healing, which can be up to a year, you need to eat appropriately, small portions, with in between knacks. Be very careful not to over eat. Learn to stop whenever you start to feel full. Make sure you eat 5 meals a day, which should include protein bars and shakes. I eat a lot of soup. I have always had a problem with portion control, so at first my husband would prepare my evening meal plate (I use a small plate, which helps). I have never gone to eat tacos or hamburgers at a fast food place. That is sabotage! These type of choices will never work! Do I eat a hamburger once in a while? Of course! But I eat healthy lean meat and I only eat 1/4 to 1/2 of the burger and only a few of my husband's fries. I have learned what foods that I need to stay away from. I have lost my cravings for bad foods, but I do eat anything I want, however I watch my portion control. Honestly, I never have that "I'm starving feeling." I do still have my chocolate, usually dark chocolate covered blueberries, pomegranate or other fruit which I mix with mixed nuts. Did I say I don't exercise? I can't because of painful RA. But I eat less to compensate for that situation. You have to find what works for you individually. IT IS NOT A DIET, IT IS A LIFE STYLE CHANGE.

Sleevers the most important thing during the first year is not to over eat, because you will stretch your stomach and you will be right back fighting your weight just like before your surgery. I think most of us are at a desperate point in our lives to change our eating habits for life if you have taken this drastic step to have surgery. You probably want to be healthier and you never want to feel the way you did when you were fat. So learn to eat to change your life. Before my surgery I took 5 blood pressure medications per day, I had sleep apnea, I took lots of cholesterol meds, and my blood sugar was on the rise. I knew where I was headed if i didn't make a change in my eating habits. I do not have any of these problems now and I only take 1 cholesterol med each day. You hear nothing feels better than being skinny, but I can tell you nothing feels better than being healthy at my age.

Stay committed and you will be successful. My before and after pictures are posted on this group page. However, I have lost more weight since I posted these pictures. I hope this information is helpful and I pray that each of you stay committed. I have no doubt you can be successful! God bless.
  12. blondie12au
    blondie12au
    G`day there. I was sleeved on 31st January 2012 and am just LOVING the new me. I am just a couple of kg off goal weight and have been extremely happy with the results. I will NEVER go back to being a "fatty". I saw my Dr. yesterday and he is also very happy with my progress. Yes I occasionally throw up, yes I occasionally eat to much but I will never be ruled by food again. I can eat anything I like just very small serves. That includes steak, prawns, chicken, salad and any and all vegies. When hubby and I go out for dinner I just order an entre size meal. Mostly I cant finish it but we do not see that as a problem. Unlike the lady above,5Dogma, I hardly ever get hungry. I have also found a great protien shake mix that is called Body Tech. I mix it with powdered coffee and it is the best shake I have found. The ready made ones are all way to sweet for me and I am lucky as I do not have a sweet tooth so have no sugar urges. Good luck with your journey. xxxcoralxxx
  13. Jingles
    Jingles
    I am almost a year out and have my annual checkup this week. I am down 96 pounds which is fantastic!!! I am 62 now and feeling so good...I purchased a Fitbit which makes me accountable with exercise since I am linked up with others and being somewhat competitive I want to lead the pack, so-to-speak. I briskly walk 5 miles a day and make sure I climb 20 flights of stairs or more a day. I find I can eat more now but I am trying to be good - I still add protein chocolate powder to my hot coffee a couple of times a day (blend it in the blender and it is a mocha coffee) - have not had a sip of soda for a year now which I think is one of the best moves we sleevers can make for life long success. I have burned through several sizes of clothes and seem to have replaced food binging with clothes shopping - so fun! I never thought I would wear a size 10 - down from size 22!! No regrets from me but I know at this point in time one year out I now have to make good choices - I do get hungry, I can eat more than in the past and I have a really hard time losing weight. I would like to lose 4 more pounds so that I am officially in the "normal" BMI range on the chart. Thinking it will take 6 months to lose 4 more - but I will keep plugging along trying to do the best I can.
  14. Kathieh
    Kathieh
    I was sleeved on June 5th. It's good to hear these updates. I can see that I could go either the way 5DogMa describes or the way TexasLady does.. both really help me to think. I can eat pretty much anything, and it's my fear from this surgery - that it doesn't really force me to change, that things are only marginally easier than before in terms of diet/exercise having to have ME, the food addict and physically lazy one in control. I've lost about 30 pounds, but still haven't been doing the level of exercise I should be, so still have to work on the habits a lot. I like not feeling like eating so much though, and even though I do feel some hunger when I don't eat for awhile.. it's easier to just eat and then forget about food. I'll concentrate on NOT stretching my stomach. I think mine is not as super small as some, which I guess I maybe wish it was a little smaller and I would get "full" feeling even faster.. I can eat a whole hamburger patty.. dont really HAVE to chew chew chew.. and like 5DogMa describes, could eat half a portion, then 30 minutes later eat more etc.. so yes, all habit training really. I guess the tool for me is more of an assistant and a reminder, but it doesn't feel like a cure. We'll see in six months where I am.. I hope I've developed the exercise habit by then.
  15. butterscott
    butterscott
    I am 55, sleeved on Nov. 26, 2012. I have lost 65 pounds with about 20 to goal. I feel and look so much better. I can eat everything and sometimes sweets. Small portions are the key. I never get sick of throw up. This was the perfect tool for me. I haves "tried" to cheat but my tool will not allow me to. I'm loving my sleeve. I am beginning to be call skinny and it is the best feeling in the world. I bought s pair of jeans 2 weeks ago in s size 14 and was told today not to west them anymore. They are falling off me. Whow, that has never happen. My problem is my bra size. 38dd. Can't wait for that to go down. I like that I don't have to measure and count calories. I know what and how much to eat. I weigh myself every day and mark it on my calendar. It's nice to look back over the months and see my progress. It has not always been consistent, but every month I have lost at least 2 pounds and I was never discouraged. Thanks fellow sleevers. God bless.
  16. simplysexy50s
    simplysexy50s
    6 more days til Surgery and excited
  17. DiPri
    DiPri
    Hi all, I'm 58 and was sleeved 12-12-12 down 70 pounds still have 30 to go but best of all I'm off my diabetic meds! Was never happy being fat but being diagnosed diabetic last October put me over the edge and the wake-up call I needed. I do find I can eat too much and kept a journal for a short time to prove to myself what I was doing. Can't eat a lot at a time but can graze all day- now I keep myself focused and busy and that gets me doing exercise that gets things done - not good at exercise for exercise. Me weight loss has slowed down but the inches are still coming off I would do a sleeve again and recommend it for anyone that is serious about taking care of themselves.

I can eat anything but do my best to keep it healthy- diabetes is always waiting if I go off track - so that keeps me in line.

Must say - I think I'll start standing on my head to get what's left of my boobs and but in the right place if only for a short time!!!
  18. Cindola
    Cindola
    Howdee! Cindola here -- just realized that I've had my sleeve for almost ten months today! I am down about 50 pounds -- the past few months have been in a holding pattern, but I've also been eating whatever I want and not watching my protein intake. Much of my lack of progress is due to head/taste hunger -- lately I've been exploring ways of getting the tastes/flavors that I want without all the carbs, definitely a challenge for me as I have always craved sweets and still do to a point -- have found some great ways to get the flavor of coffee cake/cinnamon rolls into my plain Greek yogurt (yeah, for Fiber One 90 calorie coffee cake bars broken up into my yogurt). I keep reminding myself that it took me years to gain the weight and I will get to my desired goal when I get there! My time line doesn't have an end at this time.

One of the reasons that I held off on responding to the original post, because I last week I went to lunch with a group of retired friends some who hadn't seen me for over a year -- It was a great time and it was nice to have someone other than my family acknowledge my accomplishments! We had another reason to celebrate a fellow co-worker had gotten a clean bill of health after a year and a half of cancer treatments!!!!

As to the comments about energy, I can say that there are those days that I have incredible amounts of energy and others when I just want to veg out all day -- it always is related to my diet, sleep, and hydration levels. Sleep being something that goes in spurts!

A close friend who has a lap band, always asks me: "Would it have been worth it if you never lost another pound?" The answer is always "YES!" Because, without my sleeve I'd still be heavy, my blood pressure would be out of control, and I wouldn't have the energy that I have today!