Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

What lead you to decide to have WLS?

1. werlmc02
    werlmc02
    I know for me, diets never worked. I was on the yo yo diet. Lose weight then gain, lose then gain. Soon, it got to be that I couldn't lose weight at all, just gain. I would go up a dress size every year. Then, the health conditions started to pile on. Sleep apnea, IBS, GERD, back problems, headaches, Depression, Anxiety, and menstrual issues. I was going to the doctor some times 2 to 3 times a week. I hated that. So when my mom had WLS and I saw how well she did, I did some research. I went to several surgeons and they turned me down becomes I had previous abdominal surgeries and having another would be to risky. I gave up all hope of every losing my excess weight. I continued to gain till the point now it is unbearable. When we moved to Oklahoma, I tried one last time to find a surgeon to operate on me and by the Grace of God, I found one. Now after almost 2 years of meeting that surgeon, I have a date and my life is going to change...forever.
  2. Necie
    Necie
    I too have been on a yo-yo diet for majority of my life. I have always had issues growing up and have never fully been able to get rid of the weight. Once I got into high school, I just seemed to keep putting on the weight and more. I have done so many diets and have come to the conclusion that a little assistance couldn't hurt. So, I talked to my doctor and began looking into WLS. I originally wanted to do the Lap Band, but as I did more research, I decided that due to some health issues that it wasn't for me. I don't really like the whole re-routing with the bypass surgery so I looked into the sleeve. After a few hours of research, I definitely felt confident with getting it done. Although it is not reversible if something happened, this is the best decision for me. I have not been so excited about something in a while. This is going to be life changing, but only to make it better! I wish all of you good luck!!
  3. werlmc02
    werlmc02
    This is going to be such a major life changer. I am so happy for you and glad you took action in your our life to get healthy. Best of luck to you also!
  4. b.good
    b.good
    I want to know what it feels like to be thin. Never have been. When I look through pictures growing up I'm usually the biggest one in the photo. I hate pictures, can't wait to not delete every picture because I hate the reminder of being fat. I'm going to get sleeved because it works. I've never seen anyone lose 100 pounds in a year and love their diet (til the sleeve). I don't want to just keep getting bigger as I get older. I want to be THIN!!!! I can admit I'm not going to do that on my own. I need the sleeve.
  5. StephanieLynn
    StephanieLynn
    I want to be able to take my kids to Disneyland and go on the Dumbo ride with them.
  6. Crystal Woods
    Crystal Woods
    I was very small growing up. My max weight in high school was 110 lbs. I had my first daughter a month shy of my 20th birthday and my second daughter 17 months later. I lost back down to 140 lbs but to me I still looked gross and over time I backslid to 160 lbs. I had my son Corbyn in 2009 and suffered a cardiomyopathy... its like congestive heart failure. I wasn't able to exercise or do much of anything for over a year and my weight climbed to my current weight of 214. I am only 5 ft tall so extra weight is very noticeable. My cardiologist recommended it but without insurance I thought it was impossible. Then I found Dr. Almanza in Mexico. I have used all of my tax return on this surgery but I know it is going to be worth it.
  7. Mandy Hislop
    Mandy Hislop
    I am 29 years old and have been overweight over half of my life. Every diet I have done has failed. My weight at it's highest (not pregnant) was 277, and at it's lowest 230. I have a family of big women, with heart attacks, diabetes, and other issues. I decided, I don't want that. I have proven that the diets don't work for me whether it's my head that is broken or my body I don't know.
    I am scared, and nervous and excited. I got married in January and I told my husband that I wanted to do this, I was sick of being overweight, sick of hearing you have a pretty face, sick of being tired, sick of not shopping in regular stores, and I don't want to be my mother. My husband told me, you are beautiful, I married you for who you are, but if this will make you happy get it done. So, March 6, 2012, I will be sleeved by Dr. Almanza. No looking back, just running forward. I am excited to see what my body truly is underneath all of this fluff.
  8. Shannon1006
    Shannon1006
    It is comforting to hear all of you go through the same issues of being overweight that I have had to deal with my whole life, I can not express how excited I am to lose the weight that has been holding me back for good! I cant wait to shop in something other than plus size stores. The first thing I do when I hit my goal weight is going zip lining!
  9. Mandy Hislop
    Mandy Hislop
    Shannon, That is an AWESOME idea!!!! Maybe we should have a HUGE post sleeve, goal party and all go ziplining?????
  10. Shannon1006
    Shannon1006
    Sounds awesome!!
  11. big-daddy of 10
    big-daddy of 10
    <----------this is the reason for my choice yes all my kids and wife so 12 reasons right there
  12. Boricua2012
    Boricua2012
    I have been overweight my whole life....i say I was born OW.lol Im 29yesrs old and I was always around 256lbs or so. Since I had my daughter in 2010 I now weight 314!!! Never have I been this weight. I looked into gettin the gastric bypass yrs ago and I was told when you get that surgery you could not eat steak anymore.....(im a steak lover!!) So I didnt get it. Now I can bearley walk the mall with my 2year old without my knees or feet hurting! Im 100% fed up with being big! I want to run and play with my daughter and not get tired so fast. Im excited to announce that I will be sleeved on Monday August 13,2012!!! I am 1 day away from my surgery im nervous as well but more about the after pain. Ive had a c section and im praying the pain isnt as bad as that. Well wish me luck and for those prayer warriors out there keep me in your prayers pls and ill do the same! I will also keep you all updated after!
  13. beccah90
    beccah90
    I want to be able to feel good about myself...and be able to ride every coaster at a Six Flags with my siblings....AND be able to go into a store and shop in the regular sizes.

Plus, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, and high blood pressure runs in both sides of the family. I want to be the one who changes how my family eats and change the line of unhealthiness in our family tree.

I'm 22 and want to live my life to the fullest!
  14. faniie86
    faniie86
    I had been slightly overweight since i was a teenager but after my mom's death i simple dealt with The pain my own not caring about my weight anymore 'til my doctorat told me that i wouldn't live past my 30's i already couldnt walk ans had trouble breathing that's when i realised that 23 yrs old was just too die, i simply wanted to live a normal life and singe then not even once i regretter my decision, cause now looking back i wasnt myself now at almost 27 i can only think of the futur ans all The things i will be able to do !!!