Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

11 days post op and been clinically depressed for seven years

1. Lissy
    Lissy
    Little story but my family has a very large history of mental illness and depression so when I had my daughter my doctor and husband noticed things in my behavior that where different and I was diagnosed with post-pardum depression. Then when my daughter was 13 months old I got t-boned and injured my neck and hip and still dealing with chronic pain. Since then life has been hard. I had to stop working in the fall of 2010 because of the anxiety and depressions and I was suicidal on and off until about 9 months ago. I have lost all my friends and my husband died a few weeks ago, we where separated at the time but that doesn't seem to soften the blow. When I examined my life and what I wanted it to be I started to think about weight loss surgery. I went to my chronic pain doctor and my psychiatrist and they both where so enthused by it I decided that it was the time. I've gained 60lbs in the last 18 months and it just kept packing it on. I'm hoping it helps with the depression by reducing my pain and increasing my self esteem and increased energy. I'm the only parent my kid has now so I need to be the best and healthiest I can be. My meds have been all screwed up since the surgery. I'm going to see my psychiatrist about changing meds to ones that are smaller pills and getting grief councilling. That's my story. Look forward to hearing others.
  2. compact
    compact
    Hi Lissy,
    I think you will find the sleeve really does have great potential to help with your physical problems.
    So happy to hear you are seeing the psychiatrist and counselor. It made a big difference for me to ask for help and get some.
    You have had a very rough time. Time for things to get better for you now!
    Nel
  3. Seejo
    Seejo
    I would really encourage as much mental health support you can get after surgery as it is stressful. So sorry about your loss.
  4. Lissy
    Lissy
    Thanks. I find it hard to talk to others about my mental status for fear of being judged.
  5. glaciereux
    glaciereux
    Lissy,
    I believe everybody in this group has suffered the pain of judgement, and we won't hurt our group mates because we are all in the same "family".
    Share your thoughts and frustrations with us, even if we can't help, you know there is someone in this universe listening to you.

Glaciereux in Singapore (Asia)
  6. ozzi69
    ozzi69
    Lissy, the physical changes you are about to go through are overwhelming but you will see, it is worth it. As the person in the mirror is changing, so is the mental wellbeing, or so I believe. Suddenly you see the reflection of someone who looks younger, healthier and more attractive, and while this should not be the case in an ideal universe, it many times means feeling better about yourself and getting positive attention from others, and that make you feel good and more confident. I know the underlying problems are still there, but it's a start. In any case, try and stay strong for your child and yourself ( I've got two beautiful children myself ), and remember you are not alone in this. We will never judge you !
  7. Lissy
    Lissy
    Thanks everyone!
  8. jennak89
    jennak89
    yes, so true, I have depression, ptsd, anxiety disorder. I can say I am so much better, don't get me wrong I still have my months and moments. I jsut choose to be stronger, I do take my medication to help me, I was asked that I should stop taking it, I was like NO, I notice if I don;t I am more moody.

I began to love my new self and learned to love my old self.... give it time.
  9. skowron5
    skowron5
    I just got back from eval and they will not pass me until I get new meds. My shrink just retired and it will take me 3 months to get in to a new one. Then I have to be with the new one for 3 months before they will allow me to have the surgery. I am upset, but maybe it is necessary to get them adjusted. I am so down that I have to wait 6 months. I am losing circulation in my legs and my ankles swell up and turn purple if I walk around the grocery store. I can't believe I have to live with this 6 more months when everything else checked out o.k. Sucks to be Bipolar. Hope you feel better soon. I was so glad when someone told me about this group just now. We need support of others that understand our minds.
  10. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    OMG Lissy. I can't even imagine your struggles with all of that happening to you. YOU ARE SO STRONG! Remember that. In fact, most people who struggle with mental illness are the strongest of all people. Your situation is heartbreaking and I admire you so much. Believe that. I've never endured it. I have a major inkling that you are an extreme fighter. Very admirable. Don't ever doubt that. You are so special.
  11. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    And Lissy, I had the surgery for myself as well, but mainly my child. That proves where your heart truly lies, and that makes you more loving than most. I am her only parent also, and we have to remember that we must be around as we are their everything. You're heart is in all of the right places. Be PROUD of yourself. The more struggles a person encounters, the better human being you become. It sucks, but it is so true. You have so much to live for, and you have many, many happy years ahead of you. I no longer live in my own head or trapped in a body that doesn't work very well, and it will be the same for you, I promise. Remember, you've got more knowledge than most people in this world to mold your child into one of the most magnificent human beings in this world. You've got this in the bag. Consider yourself lucky, even if it doesn't feel that way. And with the loss of the man you loved at one point, that's traumatic, but I think you know deep down that your child is better off without him. That sound horrific. He didn't deserve to die, but your child can be so happy and confident just with you alone. I've got the proof
  12. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Skowron5- Please tell me that you have been approved. Bipolar (as I very well know myself) is a killer within itself. Your post just makes me sick. Quite obviously, the psych evals are a joke, especially when they are messing with your LIFE. As a nurse, I can see that they are more focused on the psych eval than your actual LIFE. I'm angry for you and I hope you have finally been granted the surgery. You are handling way better than I would. I'm REALLY concerned and I really want to know what's going on with you. Personally, psych evals are useless as it is just common sense that one will be happier and healthier after the surgery. Nobody even recognizes me anymore. Not physically, but personality wise. Of course it improves your mental health. Being overweight makes your mind overweight as I always say. I hope I'm wrong about your physicians, but it sounds like a mess full of screwed up doctors, and hopefully a more practical and knowledgeable opinion has been made. You have a great outlook, but don't ever, ever, ever give up until you are granted the better life that you deserve.