Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

3 days pre-op with a question on pre-op diet slips

1. tmlathrop
    tmlathrop
    Great thing for you to offer advice with your experience, so thank you. My surgery is Monday morning (3/25). I've not been the most successful with my pre-op diet. When I cheated it was primarily healthy food, but I'm quite big and this was almost, well was, more than I could handle. I felt I did what I had to to stay sane and functioning. There were a couple of unnecessaries early on, but mainly healthy.

I am terrified that they're not going to do surgery. I've lost about 20 lbs total and know I would have lost more if I'd have stuck to it, but it's been years since I've lost twenty pounds.

Should I legitimately be worried or is it not as uncommon as I think and should probably be ok?

I really appreciate any advice because I'm really starting to freak out a little about this.
  2. T-bone
    T-bone
    how important is this surgery to you? if its that important then you better nut up and find a f@#KIN way not to cheat...the end!!!! you cn do it .....WE ALL CAN
  3. Sharita
    Sharita
    My surgery is scheduled for the 27th. March I have been terrible with my pre op, I was told to do a week long liquid diet.... I even cheated yesterday! In the week I have managed to lose just 2lbs. I am worried if this is a reflection that I am going to be a sleeve failure .
  4. Eileen123
    Eileen123
    I bet anything, that everything will be fine. The surgery will go on. Don't worry guys, the Dr usually likes at least 10lbs off during that time. And y'all lost more that that. U know its like the real last time u can enjoy eating what u want for now. But y'all won't make that huge of a mistake after surgery, u can't. Ur little tummy will get upset with u and you'll probably will be in pain. I start my 2 week pre op diet on. 4/15 & right now I'm trying to go out to my last places that I want to eat at hopefully this weekend and next. I have to visit Pinks again for them delicious hot dogs! I've only had it once and I waited so long before I finally got to go. Everyday is different, so tomorrow is a new day. Try not to cheat right before your surgery, I wouldn't go that far. Good luck!
  5. ksosne
    ksosne
    Ok here we go...a bit of hard truth. I was just like you, going out of my mind with the pre-op diet. I cheated in the first few days. But then I discovered that you can actually wake up from your surgery UN-sleeved! If your liver is too large, the dr will not do the surgery. This happened to another board member here. She has to go on a 45 day pre-op diet now. This fact alone is what kept me on the diet for the remainder of the time. Every time I wanted to cheat, I would think of how I would feel if I woke up without my sleeve. If you are diabetic, you are even more likely to have a large liver.

2nd fact, I was sleeved with several other people the same day. There were some who felt fine, and some who were sick and throwing up. The ones who were sick were the ones who cheated. I had absolutely no nausea and I believe it's because I stuck to the diet for at least 5 days. Use these bits of info to stick to the diet. Eat lots of jello and sugar free yogurt to stave off the cravings. You can flavor the yogurt with those Torani or DaVinchi sugar free syrups. I used the peach one mixed with fat free Fage greek yogurt and it was pretty good! Drink a ton of broth cuz that will make you feel full! Ask if you can try sucking on some sugar free hard candies if you need something sweet. Don't chew em up though!

If you absolutely can't stand it, talk to your patient coordinator for help. They may have another suggestion for something you can have and when you discover it, it feels like cheating when you eat it!

I wish you all the best of luck and hope I have helped!
  6. tmlathrop
    tmlathrop
    I did forget to mention in my initial post that my pre-op diet actually was 4 wks instead of 2 due to my BMI. I think I would have survived alot better if I knew it were two weeks. It's kind of too late now. My last weekend before surgery, and I will not be cheating at all of course. But I will find out my fate soon enough. FIngers are crossed. Thanks for the feedback all, at least the positive ones.
  7. Truebody
    Truebody
    The pre-op diet is not designed to lose weight. It is designed to get your liver - which is most likely fatty - not due to fat, but due to a diet containing carbs which if you don't use th energy contained within them by some full-on exercise is converted and stored. So if you are cheating - which seems ridiculous to me - but hey, your body your thing - then do yourself a favour and don't eat carbs.
    I for one wouldn't like to going under the knife for a stomach op, a stomach that sits underneath the liver in the body, and then not help my surgeon or myself by having a hard and enlarged liver, by not following his plan. The plan is designed to get you in the best possible shape for the operation - not to punish you for being fat.
  8. leo39
    leo39
    I am riding the line of wanting to encourage and wanting to educate.... so here goes and please know I'm not judging, I'm just sharing my experience.

I did not cheat on my diet but I did refuse to go off medication I had taken for four years, as I could not sleep without it (the meds are non-narcotic but lets face it, they are something my body expects and there is an addiction of sorts that occurs). I was honest about it, I took it right up to the night before surgery. Now, as for the diet, I was told it was to clear up my liver which was fatty and also had alot of toxins from all the meds I take. I'll list them - flexeril, lyrica, imovane and amitriptyline. I did not necessarily need to lose weight prior to surgery because compared to others I suppose my BMI was on the lower side for surgery classification (I was 200lbs and BMI was 36). I felt, hey, I'm not cheating on my diet, so the meds are not a big deal.
    Lets talk about after surgery. I was in withdrawl of my meds for three days and was dry heaving and tachycardic and having panic attacks. I was absolutely miserable. I was throwing up (nothing) so hard that I would pee all over the floor. TMI? I'm just trying to prepare you for what you face when you don't withdraw from food as well. I had the same, or similar symptoms to those who cheated on their diets. It took 3 days before we realized this was not surgery related and as soon as I took my meds I swear I was ready to go home - no pain, no nausea, weak from the past few days but able to sleep comfortably. I didn't even take a tylenol and I had the flu on top of everything else. That's how I WOULD have felt, had I done the slow withdrawl of medication like they advised. I was so mad at myself for the choices I made and I recognized I could have avoided so much misery had I just listened to my doctor and taken his advice seriously. I rationalized it and was stupid enough to think that I knew better than my sleeve doctor.

I know for one of you, you are having surgery on Monday, so there is not too much you can do. Drink a ton of water, even more than they recommend because you want to flush out your system as much as possible. Call your rep and ask if taking something like milk thistle (which cleanses the liver) is advised at this point. Tell the truth about what you've done, don't wait till the morning of surgery to be honest. Sometimes it is not a big deal to move your surgery to a few days later so that you have time to stick to the plan. Your rep may say its fine, and well that's great and I hope you have a great recovery, I really do.
  9. tmlathrop
    tmlathrop
    Just to pass along....16 hrs post surgery. No problems. All went very well. No nausea...yeah. pain not too bad. Most pain was from getting the air out they pumped in. Had a very hard time with that. But mainly past it now. Also back spasms which I had before but are worse now laying in the bed. So all in all good. Can't wait for swallow test so I can have water. Dying!!!! Anyway sleeping in short spurts so thought I'd update
    while I was up
  10. Fawn1120
    Fawn1120
    Great News TMLATHROP!

10 days pre-op I had 3 imatrex for migraine. I could not handle my headache! I googled it and found it was OK. I won't have another one prior surgery. I stopped my migraine prevention medication 14 days ago and that s tough for me!
  11. tmlathrop
    tmlathrop
    Good luck to you Fawn. My mom takes that and I know it's hard on your system, so hopefully you'll do ok without. Recovering really well myself. 6 days post-op. Drove today for the first time. Overdid it a little today so had some stomach pains. That was really the first time though, so I'm just watching it. Taking a nap during pain, if it's not too bad to keep you awake, is a great way to get past it.
  12. msnycia2u2013
    msnycia2u2013
    When you say cheating does that mean people are eating major meals? I to have cheated but I want to make sure it wont harm me meaning. I have pretty much been on a 10 day liquid diet. I hate broth with a passion, however, I made me some japanese noodles and an egg in it and remove all the noodles and the egg and drink the broth. At the bottom of the bowl is egg drippings and noodle scraps nothing major maybe two tablespoons in each bowl and I have had 3 bowls in 3 days is this problematic. This would be the only thing near solid that I have consumed.
  13. msnycia2u2013
    msnycia2u2013
    Oh my surgery is scheduled for Wednesday July 10