Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Feedback on Dr Alvarez?

1. Lcardullo
    Lcardullo
    Hi all -

I'm considering using Dr Alvarez for my gastric sleeve surgery and wondered if anyone had any comments, tips or experience to share.

Thanks,

Linda
  2. aprilnurk
    aprilnurk
    Hey Linda... First, let me say that I am the LAST person you would've ever thought would've been OK with this. Dr. A and his staff are AMAZING! I would recommend him hands down above anyone else. Everything went just like they said it would, and I have been more pleased than I thought i would be. I've lost 70 lbs so far, had surgery on 7/27. I'm not on here much, so feel free to email me if you have specific questions at pinkfrogs2@yahoo.com.

I'm copying and pasting a review I did for him on ObesityHelp.com

I first heard about the vertical sleeve gastrectomy several years ago, but it was so new and I always thought I was supposed to be able to lose weight on my own. I did look up weight loss surgery on the website of the hospital where i live SEVERAL times and even signed up for the informational seminars more than once, but never actually went to them. We called our insurance company and found out that NO type of weight loss surgery was covered. I wasn't sure how we would be able to pay for surgery without any help from my insurance. Then earlier this year, I heard that Bart Millard had the sleeve. IF you don't know who he is, he is the lead singer of MercyMe, and my husband and I follow his adventures on twitter - he has lost 100 lbs. My sister had gastric bypass 3 years ago and has been extremely successful, but something didn't set right with me having my intestines re-routed. When I checked out the lap-band, there were just so many people with complications, plus I read that there would be a possibility I would need to have it removed if I got pregnant, and I didn't want a foreign body inside my body. So that really limited my choices and I started researching the sleeve. Of course, my first resource was YouTube. I like to see people talk about things. And the more I researched, the more videos that kept popping up about Endobariatric in Peidras Negras, Mexico. At first, I was like.. there is just no way I would dare go to Mexico. I worried like everyone does that it was not legit, not safe and it would not be smart.. But it really seemed super legit the more I researched it. I consider myself to be an extremely good investigator, and I literally could not find even ONE negative thing about Dr. Alvarez or his practice.. So I went to their website, requested information, and within a day or so, I received an email from their office from Susan, who was super helpful. I must have asked her 5 million questions, and what really stood out to me was that NONE of her answers were generic, pre-written out or ingenuine. I felt like she answered my questions with heart, and she has also had the surgery so she is very knowledgeable. I convinced my husband that this was what I wanted to do, and more than anything we prayed and prayed about whether or not this would be the right decision. We decided that it was, so I sent my deposit and received all my paperwork. I was put on a 30 day liquid diet, which wasn't AS hard as I thought it would be, and my surgery was on July 27th. We flew into San Antonio, took the shuttle to the hotel they specified and Dr. A's driver, Rosy was right there waiting for us with my sleeve sister (someone who was having surgery the same day as me). We drove 2 hours down to Eagle Pass, TX and everything went just as they said it would. My husband and I caught a taxi to Chilis and walmart that night to get him some snacks for the journey (since we didn't check baggage). And the next morning, Rosy picked us up and took us over the border to the hospital. The hospital is old but very clean. The nurses wear cute little white nurse outfits and hats like you see in old movies. Anyhow, when I met Dr. A for the first time, he was very friendly and took us into his office, went over my paperwork, weighed me and then gave us a chance to ask any questions. Then they whisked us off to have pre-op lab work done. I will interject here that the people who draw the blood are SO GOOD. I had some blood drawn here where I live in FL a month before surgery and was poked SEVERAL times before she found my vein. The Mexican nurse made sure she had it before she ever stuck me once, and then when they started my IV, they were extremely careful and said they would only try once before turning it over to the anesthesiologist. They only poked once, and got it the first time. Everything went very fast (but smooth) from there. I was shown my room, which was extremely nice with hardwood floors and my husband had a couch to sleep on. I undressed, put on the robe and they started my IV. They said they would give me something to relax me and the next thing I knew I was waking up from surgery. Dr. A came in to talk to my husband after surgery and he and his associate Dr. Gabe were constantly checking on me throughout my stay. Dr. A also has an assistant named Jessica who speaks English and tended to our every need. She walked with us up and down the halls, she even took my husband to dinner twice, since he doesn't speak Spanish. She was always there whenever a nurse would come in, so I never felt like I didn't know what was going on... she was there to translate everything. Since my surgery 4 weeks ago, I have lost 26 lbs, and I lost 25 lbs before surgery as well. I have not thrown up once, and I have not any the first complication. I greatly attribute this to two things: 1. the power of prayer and 2. Dr. Alvarez's extreme skill and ability. I was so nervous going into the surgery, but I KNEW that none of the Dr.'s here would be as skilled as him; afterall, he does 2-3 surgeries a day. He really is extremely smart and I have been impressed with the entire process. I felt like he and his entire staff truly care about me, and even still he has been emailing me to make sure things are going well for me and telling me what phase is next. My surgery cost $9200 because I had a higher BMI than most (so there was an additional $500), but I really do believe it's probably one of it not THE best decision I have ever made. I know I am still very early out..... one month. But I feel great and I know that this is going to change my life forever. I am SO very pleased with my decision, and I would highly recommend Dr. Alvarez over ANY other surgeon out there. I just don't think you will get the same type of care, treatment and genuine-ness than with Dr. A and his staff! Please feel free to email me at pinkfrogs2@yahoo.com if you are looking into Dr. A and have specific questions!
  3. aprilnurk
    aprilnurk
    Hey Linda... First, let me say that I am the LAST person you would've ever thought would've been OK with this. Dr. A and his staff are AMAZING! I would recommend him hands down above anyone else. Everything went just like they said it would, and I have been more pleased than I thought i would be. I've lost 70 lbs so far, had surgery on 7/27. I'm not on here much, so feel free to email me if you have specific questions at pinkfrogs2@yahoo.com.

I'm copying and pasting a review I did for him on ObesityHelp.com

I first heard about the vertical sleeve gastrectomy several years ago, but it was so new and I always thought I was supposed to be able to lose weight on my own. I did look up weight loss surgery on the website of the hospital where i live SEVERAL times and even signed up for the informational seminars more than once, but never actually went to them. We called our insurance company and found out that NO type of weight loss surgery was covered. I wasn't sure how we would be able to pay for surgery without any help from my insurance. Then earlier this year, I heard that Bart Millard had the sleeve. IF you don't know who he is, he is the lead singer of MercyMe, and my husband and I follow his adventures on twitter - he has lost 100 lbs. My sister had gastric bypass 3 years ago and has been extremely successful, but something didn't set right with me having my intestines re-routed. When I checked out the lap-band, there were just so many people with complications, plus I read that there would be a possibility I would need to have it removed if I got pregnant, and I didn't want a foreign body inside my body. So that really limited my choices and I started researching the sleeve. Of course, my first resource was YouTube. I like to see people talk about things. And the more I researched, the more videos that kept popping up about Endobariatric in Peidras Negras, Mexico. At first, I was like.. there is just no way I would dare go to Mexico. I worried like everyone does that it was not legit, not safe and it would not be smart.. But it really seemed super legit the more I researched it. I consider myself to be an extremely good investigator, and I literally could not find even ONE negative thing about Dr. Alvarez or his practice.. So I went to their website, requested information, and within a day or so, I received an email from their office from Susan, who was super helpful. I must have asked her 5 million questions, and what really stood out to me was that NONE of her answers were generic, pre-written out or ingenuine. I felt like she answered my questions with heart, and she has also had the surgery so she is very knowledgeable. I convinced my husband that this was what I wanted to do, and more than anything we prayed and prayed about whether or not this would be the right decision. We decided that it was, so I sent my deposit and received all my paperwork. I was put on a 30 day liquid diet, which wasn't AS hard as I thought it would be, and my surgery was on July 27th. We flew into San Antonio, took the shuttle to the hotel they specified and Dr. A's driver, Rosy was right there waiting for us with my sleeve sister (someone who was having surgery the same day as me). We drove 2 hours down to Eagle Pass, TX and everything went just as they said it would. My husband and I caught a taxi to Chilis and walmart that night to get him some snacks for the journey (since we didn't check baggage). And the next morning, Rosy picked us up and took us over the border to the hospital. The hospital is old but very clean. The nurses wear cute little white nurse outfits and hats like you see in old movies. Anyhow, when I met Dr. A for the first time, he was very friendly and took us into his office, went over my paperwork, weighed me and then gave us a chance to ask any questions. Then they whisked us off to have pre-op lab work done. I will interject here that the people who draw the blood are SO GOOD. I had some blood drawn here where I live in FL a month before surgery and was poked SEVERAL times before she found my vein. The Mexican nurse made sure she had it before she ever stuck me once, and then when they started my IV, they were extremely careful and said they would only try once before turning it over to the anesthesiologist. They only poked once, and got it the first time. Everything went very fast (but smooth) from there. I was shown my room, which was extremely nice with hardwood floors and my husband had a couch to sleep on. I undressed, put on the robe and they started my IV. They said they would give me something to relax me and the next thing I knew I was waking up from surgery. Dr. A came in to talk to my husband after surgery and he and his associate Dr. Gabe were constantly checking on me throughout my stay. Dr. A also has an assistant named Jessica who speaks English and tended to our every need. She walked with us up and down the halls, she even took my husband to dinner twice, since he doesn't speak Spanish. She was always there whenever a nurse would come in, so I never felt like I didn't know what was going on... she was there to translate everything. Since my surgery 4 weeks ago, I have lost 26 lbs, and I lost 25 lbs before surgery as well. I have not thrown up once, and I have not any the first complication. I greatly attribute this to two things: 1. the power of prayer and 2. Dr. Alvarez's extreme skill and ability. I was so nervous going into the surgery, but I KNEW that none of the Dr.'s here would be as skilled as him; afterall, he does 2-3 surgeries a day. He really is extremely smart and I have been impressed with the entire process. I felt like he and his entire staff truly care about me, and even still he has been emailing me to make sure things are going well for me and telling me what phase is next. My surgery cost $9200 because I had a higher BMI than most (so there was an additional $500), but I really do believe it's probably one of it not THE best decision I have ever made. I know I am still very early out..... one month. But I feel great and I know that this is going to change my life forever. I am SO very pleased with my decision, and I would highly recommend Dr. Alvarez over ANY other surgeon out there. I just don't think you will get the same type of care, treatment and genuine-ness than with Dr. A and his staff! Please feel free to email me at pinkfrogs2@yahoo.com if you are looking into Dr. A and have specific questions!
  4. MOMX2
    MOMX2
    Linda--you can go to my blog on this site and read about my experience. He is amazing, and enough positive can't ever be said about him or his staff. Read his book, follow his guidelines, and you too will be celebrating success! Good luck on your decision. I am down 105 pounds in a little over 9 months and have never doubted this decision---before or since, and I still keep in touch with him.
  5. HealthyMama
    HealthyMama
    I will second everything April said! I only ever thought about gastric bypass, but when I heard about the sleeve and that there are no issues with malabsorption, I knew this was my chance. Dr. A and everyone on his team are so wonderful. There are no surprises and Susan to this day answers my questions. There was not a moment that I was scared or uncomfortable being in Mexico or under their care. The care was far more doting than in any hospital in the US. Good luck and if you choose Dr. A, you'll not regret it.
  6. 1onthemove
    1onthemove
    Linda

I am also a HUGE fan of Dr. A and his staff! The whole experience was perfect! The process of getting there and back, the surgery and everything in between was exactly the way it was presented before going down. I was so impressed with the hospital, both the staff and the cleanliness. The staff is amazing! He may not be the cheapest option but based on the research I did, I was very comfortable with my choice. It was important to me to be in a hospital with emergency care, if needed. Also I was very careful checking out his credentials and contacting former patients of his...literally contacting people out of the blue that were not on his website etc. Especially other Canadians from my area. Everyone had fabulous things to say about him!

As a surgeon, Dr. A goes the extra mile. Quite often you will read on the forums about patients with gas pains after the surgery etc. Not with Dr A! He is one of the few surgeons that has a machine that suctions out gas before leaving the OR. I honestly did not have a moment of uncomfortableness!! Go there in the best shape you can be, make sure you get up and walk as soon as you can after surgery -- and you will be amazed!

It has been 7 months. I have lost a little over 70 pounds so far. My diabetes and high blood pressure are gone...like totally gone. I feel amazing...and I owe it all to Ar. Alvarez, my sleeve and a very supportive team of family and friends that keep me motivated to make the changes I needed to make! I have no reservations telling anyone to choose Dr Alvarez.

Feel free to message me if you want more info!

Thanks
    Lorraine
  7. vwpeery
    vwpeery
    I had surgery with Dr. Alvarez 7 months ago, and I have lost 75 lbs. I am happy with my progress, I feel great, and I am a health care professional on a master's level and I was very impressed by Dr, Alvarez, his staff, and the staff at the hospital. I agree with everything said above. Good luck.
    Valerie CNM
  8. VSGOct2011
    VSGOct2011
    I'm just one year out on Oct 8th. I'm down 120 lbs and feel fabulous. I've gone from size 22/24 or 3-4x to size 9/10. Dr A and his team were amazing, they take care of all the little extras so you don't even have to think of them. He came by the hospital 6 times a day to check on us post op or if he didn't his co-surgeon did. We travelled from Winnipeg, Canada which was a long travel day going home. His staff took the extra effort to arrange wheelchair transport in the airport for me, even at the transfer locations...San Antonio to Denver to Chicago to Winnipeg. When we arrived home my hubby checked his phone and there was a message from Dr A checking to see how the travel had gone and how I was doing. Believe me we would never made t through O'Hare across 3 terminals if this hadn't been arranged. Even now, if you have a question. Him or his team will respond, usually same day. He provided a curved pillow in our take home bag of goodies which was very helpful for air travel home, making the journey back post op as comforts or as possible. When I think back to how much my life has changed this past year, I can't imagine not having gotten this surgery and more importantly, by Dr A. I had the choice to have it with him or wait for my provicial health authority to cover it for free but wait 3-5 years for that approval. That 3-5 years of my life LIVING IT FULLY is worth way more than the money I would've saved waiting for it to be free. No regrets!

One of my friends saw Dr A in January and she's a nurse with ER background. She had complications due to her own health issues and when I asked if she had regrets or if she'd still go with Dr Alvarez, she says he did everything correct to medically treat her and she wod recommend him 100% especially seeing how he dealt with her situation. She's down about 95 lbs now.

Like anyone else whose responded, and granted we may be biased, I can't say enough good things about him, his team or the medical tourism experience. Now to find someone who can do the M6 Disc replacement back surgery for my hubby and life will be perfect!
  9. VSGOct2011
    VSGOct2011
    I'm just one year out on Oct 8th. I'm down 120 lbs and feel fabulous. I've gone from size 22/24 or 3-4x to size 9/10. Dr A and his team were amazing, they take care of all the little extras so you don't even have to think of them. He came by the hospital 6 times a day to check on us post op or if he didn't his co-surgeon did. We travelled from Winnipeg, Canada which was a long travel day going home. His staff took the extra effort to arrange wheelchair transport in the airport for me, even at the transfer locations...San Antonio to Denver to Chicago to Winnipeg. When we arrived home my hubby checked his phone and there was a message from Dr A checking to see how the travel had gone and how I was doing. Believe me we would never made t through O'Hare across 3 terminals if this hadn't been arranged. Even now, if you have a question. Him or his team will respond, usually same day. He provided a curved pillow in our take home bag of goodies which was very helpful for air travel home, making the journey back post op as comforts or as possible. When I think back to how much my life has changed this past year, I can't imagine not having gotten this surgery and more importantly, by Dr A. I had the choice to have it with him or wait for my provicial health authority to cover it for free but wait 3-5 years for that approval. That 3-5 years of my life LIVING IT FULLY is worth way more than the money I would've saved waiting for it to be free. No regrets!

One of my friends saw Dr A in January and she's a nurse with ER background. She had complications due to her own health issues and when I asked if she had regrets or if she'd still go with Dr Alvarez, she says he did everything correct to medically treat her and she wod recommend him 100% especially seeing how he dealt with her situation. She's down about 95 lbs now.

Like anyone else whose responded, and granted we may be biased, I can't say enough good things about him, his team or the medical tourism experience. Now to find someone who can do the M6 Disc replacement back surgery for my hubby and life will be perfect!
  10. vwpeery
    vwpeery
    I have no issues anymore with high blood pressure or the pre-diabetes that has haunted me since 1993. No meds now, only vitamins. Dr. A was wonderful, I was so happy with my decision. It was a good experience. I have lost 75 lbs in 7 months. I can run up and down stairs now! My aching knees have not hurt for months. It is easier to do my job. Surprisingly, my mind is more focused and my mood is up-beat. Good luck, Valerie
  11. teamSUE
    teamSUE
    Dr. Alvarez and his team are the bomb!...... I cant believe I went to Mexico to have this done. THIS WAS THE BEST DECISION EVER. My husband did not want to go with me....I made him:-D.....HE was impressed ...I have had no problems at all. I would not go to anyone else. Wherever Dr. ALVAREZ is, that is where I would go. e has a great connection with his patients. I thought his team was excellent. I have worked 17 years around Drs and am pretty particular...not all are equal. In fact I met w/ 4 U.S. surgeons.....they just didnt have the experience with this particular surgery and I didnt want to be their trial and error group. I went to the best and in turn, got the best. Good luck to you.
  12. teamSUE
    teamSUE
    Dr. Alvarez and his team are the bomb!...... I cant believe I went to Mexico to have this done. THIS WAS THE BEST DECISION EVER. My husband did not want to go with me....I made him:-D.....HE was impressed ...I have had no problems at all. I would not go to anyone else. Wherever Dr. ALVAREZ is, that is where I would go. e has a great connection with his patients. I thought his team was excellent. I have worked 17 years around Drs and am pretty particular...not all are equal. In fact I met w/ 4 U.S. surgeons.....they just didnt have the experience with this particular surgery and I didnt want to be their trial and error group. I went to the best and in turn, got the best. Good luck to you.
  13. teamSUE
    teamSUE
  14. Lcardullo
    Lcardullo
    I am very appreciative of all of your responses. I have decided to move forward with scheduling the surgery with Dr. A and cant wait to begin the next phase of my life!

Linda
  15. Lcardullo
    Lcardullo
    I am very appreciative of all of your responses. I have decided to move forward with scheduling the surgery with Dr. A and cant wait to begin the next phase of my life!

Linda
  16. Lcardullo
    Lcardullo

Linda
  17. yourstrulycate
    yourstrulycate
    Hi Linda,

Congrats on moving forward with Dr. A. Personally, I am extremely excited to have my surgery with him. I've done a ton of research, and I am very confident in my decision to use Dr. A. When did you schedule your surgery for?
  18. Tjsoul
    Tjsoul
    I am one week post op from Dr.A and except for the minor pain still from where my stomach got pulled out I'm super happy already with my results! I'm so glad I found Dr.A and his staff are amazing!! Just to note that yes right now the hospital is under construction but I don't know when they are planning it all as they have the hallway 1/2 drywalled and tiles to pick were on the floor lol so it should be soon I had some complication from coming out of anaesthetics for almost 2 days.. I threw up every time I woke up or moved! That was the only thing that stopped me from walking the halls like my sleeve gals! But day 3 I was definitely moving faster than them... Each has their own pace to heal !! I would go back in a second.. Dr.A and his team are excellent and even reassured my mom before I came down that if I had any complications that I could stay an extra day in hospital or just come back for free except for the flight if I got back to Canada and had complications here!!! So awesome
  19. AmyInOrlando
    AmyInOrlando
    The more I read about Dr. Alvarez, the more convinced I am that I made the right choice !!!