Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Exactly what is a post-operative bariatric meal plan ???

1. Zeekecavaricci
    Zeekecavaricci
    EXACTLY WHAT IS A RECOMMENDED POST-OPERATIVE BARIATRIC MEAL PLAN ???
    GUYS AND GALS,
    I have researched and found that this Post-Operative Bariatric Meal Plan is one that is most often utilized by Bariatric Physicians, Surgeons, and Hospitals.
    POST-OPERATIVE SURGERY MEAL PHASES 2, 3, and 4
    Bariatric surgery is an excellent tool to help you limit the amount of food you eat and to facilitate weight reduction.
    After bariatric surgery, you will need to significantly adapt your meal plan and lifestyle to achieve maximum success. You will be losing weight rapidly and proper nutrition is essential to maintain lean body mass, hydration, and skin elasticity, as well as to minimize hair loss.
    The post-bariatric surgery meal plan requires a significant change in meal planning for most people. We recommend that you begin adapting your current meal plan early on to prepare for this change.

The primary nutrition goals after surgery are as follows:
    Learn proper eating habits that will promote weight loss while maintaining health at a reduced weight
    Consume adequate amounts of protein to minimize loss of lean body mass and facilitate healing
    Take adequate amounts of fluid to maintain hydration
    Obtain adequate nutrients for optimal health through vitamin and mineral supplementation
    Post-Weight Loss Surgery Meal Planning Guide
    Most weight loss surgery patients will be discharged from the hospital on a liquid-only meal plan for two to three weeks. After three weeks the meal plan is usually advanced to soft foods for the next six to eight weeks with a gradual transition to regular consistency foods over the next six to nine months.
    Depending on your medical history and surgical procedure, it will be recommended that you take a multivitamin with iron, calcium, and -- with some procedures -- vitamin B12, additional iron, and/or vitamins A, D, E, and K.
    Included here are suggestions for making this a safe and uncomplicated transition.
    Stage 2: Modified Full Liquids
    Stage 3: Soft Foods
    Stage 4: Solid Foods
    HOW TO MAKE YOUR TRANSITION TO SOLID FOOD A SUCCESS

STAGE 2: MODIFIED FULL LIQUIDS
    Starting on the day you go home from the hospital, you should drink two ounces, (60 ml), or 1/4 cup of a high-protein liquid nutrition supplement every hour, on the hour, while you are awake. This must be a nutritionally complete liquid that would pass through a standard strainer.
    In addition to the nutritionally complete liquid, you should strive to consume two ounces of non-carbonated, non-caffeinated, low- or no-calorie liquid every 15 minutes after the hour for a total of eight fluid ounces each hour.
    Your first priority is to drink enough fluid to prevent dehydration; protein is a secondary priority. You should drink a total of six to eight cups of fluid (APPROXIMATELY 64 OUNCES) each day to avoid getting dehydrated.
    It is not uncommon to feel a sensation of fullness from liquids after surgery. This sensation may limit your ability or desire to take the goal volumes in the first several days after surgery. As you progress from surgery you should find it easier to meet the daily goals.
    For best tolerance, do not use straws, take small sips, and start with room temperature liquids.
    The liquid-only meal is prescribed for three weeks. Please do not start solid foods until instructed by your physician, and/or dietitian.
    SAMPLE MEAL SCHEDULE
    8:00 a.m. -- 2 oz. Boost High Protein
    8:15 a.m. -- 2 oz. water
    8:30 a.m. -- 2 oz. broth
    8:45 a.m. -- 2 oz. diluted juice
    Choose a high protein liquid nutrition supplement with no more than 15-20 grams of sugar and at least 13 grams of protein in an eight ounce serving. NOTE FROM DENNIS: I FOUND TUBES OF LIQUID PROTEIN AT WALMART (LOWER $$) AND ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE (HIGHER $$). THEY ARE CALLED "NEW WHEY" LIQUID PROTEIN. EACH TUBE HAS 42 GRAMS OF PROTEIN AND ONLY 3.8 OUNCES. THEY COME IN FLAVORS SUCH AS: Watermelon, Grape, Fruit Punch, Acai Blueberry, Raspberry, etc....JUST THINK--ONLY 1 1/2 TUBES AND YOU HAVE MET YOUR PROTEIN MINIMUM FOR THE DAY. THE LIQUID CAN ALSO BE DILUTED WITH WATER OR JUICES. I SIP ON THE TUBE THROUGHOUT THE DAY. YOU DON'T HAVE TO FLOOD YOURSELF TO GET YOUR REQUIRED PROTEIN !!! THESE ARE ALSO LACTOSE FREE, GLUTEN FREE, CAFFEINE FREE, SUGAR FREE AND FAT FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PROTEIN
    Protein is essential to aid in healing and maintaining muscle mass after weight loss surgery. It may also help avoid (but not necessarily prevent) hair loss associated with rapid weight loss. Try to consume at least 40-60 grams of protein per day.
    EXAMPLES OF STATE 2: MODIFIED FULL LIQUIDS
    High-protein liquids:
    No sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast and skim or 1 percent milk
    Eight ounces skim milk with 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder (16 total grams of protein)
    Boost High Protein or Ensure High Protein, available at grocery stores
    Whey or soy protein (Carb solutions, Spiru-tein, Designer Whey)
    EAS high protein drinks
    Ensure or Boost (Glucerna or Boost Glucose Control), available at grocery stores
    Isopure, available at nutrition specialty stores
    Low-calorie liquids:
    Water
    Crystal Light
    Sugar-free Kool-Aid/Wyler’s drink mix
    Unsweetened decaffeinated tea
    Decaffeinated coffee
    Clear juice diluted 50/50 with water
    Fruit2O
    Broth
    Sugar-free popsicles
    Propel Fitness Water
    Follow-Up
    Three weeks after surgery you should have a follow up with your surgeon and this will give you the opportunity to discuss your diet advancement program with your physician, surgeon, or dietitian. You should learn how to successfully incorporate soft solid foods back into your meal plan.
    YOU SHOULD NOT START SOLID FOODS UNTIL INSTRUCTED BY YOUR HEALTH PROFESSIONAL VISIT FOLLOWING SURGERY

STAGE 3: SOFT FOODS
    Soft foods will be added gradually to your meal plan over the next six to eight weeks. While on the soft meal plan you must continue to focus on high protein foods and avoid foods that are high in fat, sugar, or fiber.
    You may still need to get some of your protein from supplements until you are able to eat enough solid food to meet your nutritional needs (see the list of protein supplements above).
    Consuming adequate protein in your meal plan will help you maintain muscle mass and heal as you lose weight. Because you will not be able to eat a large volume of food at one time you should plan to eat a small meal four to six times each day.
    At meal times it is important to focus on high protein foods, making sure you eat them first. You will be instructed to add only one new food at a time to establish tolerance to foods slowly. If you do not tolerate a food well, the problem may be with the food itself, how it was prepared, or the way it was consumed.
    Learn to recognize when you are full. Indications of fullness may be a pressure, tightness, or heaviness in the center of your abdomen just below the breast bone. Feelings of nausea, regurgitation, or heartburn are indications that too much has been eaten or the meal was eaten to rapidly.
    Nausea, abdominal pain, or discomfort is most often the result of eating inappropriately and rarely a complication of surgery. Common Eating-related causes of discomfort are: eating too fast, not chewing food well, eating too much food at once, eating solid foods too soon after surgery, or drinking liquids either with meals or right after meals.
    Following are lists of foods allowed and those to be avoided while on the soft meall plan. The foods on the avoid list are there because most patients do not tolerate them for the first two to three months after surgery. Some patients do tolerate these foods, but it is best to start with the foods on the recommended list.
    Once you have learned how to eat with your new gastric anatomy and have healed from surgery, you can start to add other foods one at a time over the next few months. If you follow these suggestions, your transition to solid foods and weight loss will be a success.
    RECOMMENDED FOOD FOR STATE 3: SOFT FOODS
    High-protein foods:
    Eggs (cooked with minimal fat)
    Light or low-fat yogurt
    Low-fat cottage cheese
    Soft fish (baked, broiled, grilled)
    Small or baby shrimp, scallops, crab
    Tuna fish (fat-free mayo is okay)
    Tender cooked or ground poultry
    Tender cooked or ground beef or pork
    Bean and lentil dishes and soups
    Fat free refried beans
    Low-fat luncheon meats (turkey, roast beef, sliced thin)
    Shredded or soft low-fat cheeses
    Tofu (soy) mixed in soup or vegetables
    Other foods:
    Oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits (thinned)
    Softened cold cereal
    Cooked, soft vegetables
    Soft fruits without skin or canned in natural juices
    Crackers and pretzels chewed well
    Potatoes
    Low-fat soups
    Very dry toast
    Soft lettuce (green leaf or Boston Bibb)
    Soft foods to avoid:
    Sticky foods
    Bread (may tolerate if toasted)
    Sticky rice
    Pasta (especially overcooked or large noodles)
    Melted stringy cheese
    Macaroni and cheese
    Peanut butter
    Crunchy fibrous foods:
    Raw vegetables
    Fruit and vegetable skins
    Nuts
    Popcorn
    Chips
    Coconut
    Iceberg lettuce
    Tough or rubbery foods:
    Tough meat (steak, pork chops, ham, hot dogs)
    High-fat foods:
    Butter, margarine, oils
    Sour cream
    Cream cheese
    Mayonnaise
    Gravy
    Fat back, bacon
    Sausage
    Whole milk
    Salad dressing
    Hard cheeses
    Fried foods
    Bologna, salami
    Chips
    Desserts

STAGE 4: SOLID FOODS
    It is now 10-12 weeks post surgery and you are ready to progress from soft solids to regular consistency foods. Eventually, you will probably be able to eat most of what you were eating before surgery, only in much smaller amounts.
    Overall you should be making healthy food choices including lean meat or vegetable protein, low-fat dairy, incorporating fruit and vegetables as you are able, and avoiding empty calorie or “junk” foods as they are typically high in fat and sugar.
    Long term, patients must choose foods with good nutritional value. Each meal should have at least three ounces of protein. Learn to read food labels and limit fat and sugar intake, choose low-fat (five grams or less per serving), low-sugar (five grams or less per serving), and lean protein foods.
    The volume you can tolerate will always be limited so choose foods wisely to avoid filling up on foods with little nutritional value.
    EATING BEHAVIORS FOR SUCCESS
    Eat slowly and be aware of when you feel full. When you feel full, stop eating! If you continue to eat, you may develop intense chest pain and vomit.
    Chew, chew, chew! You need to make sure you chew your food very well before you swallow it. This makes it easier to digest and pass from your gastric pouch into your small intestine.
    Avoid drinking fluids 30 minutes before and with your meals. If you fill up your small gastric pouch with liquid, you won't have room for your food. Furthermore, the liquids may accelerate passage of the solid food out of the stomach and possibly cause some discomfort.
    Drink enough fluid between meals to meet your fluid requirements. You need six to eight cups of fluid per day to prevent dehydration.
    Avoid food and beverages high in sugar. High sugar foods can cause "dumping syndrome." After gastric bypass surgery, some people feel light-headed, sweaty, or faint soon after consuming concentrated sugar.
    Limit high fat foods. These foods may make you feel nauseated. They are also high in calories and will slow down your weight loss. Using a low-fat, reduced-fat, or light version of a product is okay.
    I HOPE THAT THIS INFORMATION HAS HELPED MY GROUP MEMBERS AND VISITORS, DENNIS (zeekecavaricci)
  2. Zeekecavaricci
    Zeekecavaricci
    -----
  3. Ahigdon
    Ahigdon
    Thank you for taking the time to educate us. I for one of many, appreciate your time and efforts.
  4. christinae85
    christinae85
    More info for the VSG file! Thanks a bunch!
  5. leo39
    leo39
    THank you so much. This is very helpful and actually makes alot more sense than the plan I was given by my doctor. For me, someone who is very swollen and who has already been back to the hospital, I need to accept that I'm like a newborn babe and I need to stick with liquid food or baby food consistency. I actually bought some baby food in resealable squishy packs, that have some flavours that sound good - sweet potato, pumpkin, squash with cinnamon, beets and berries, and apple/peach puree. I think in general we need to err on the side of caution and behave ourselves in order to allow total healing within the esophagus and stomach.
    Your posts are always appreciated and I wish you well on YOUR journey with a sleeve, which is very soon!!
  6. Patty711
    Patty711
    great grocery list!!
  7. 1happyloser2b
    1happyloser2b
    Thank you so much for this information great references!!!
  8. missbecks
    missbecks
    What a great guide!!!! Thank you so much!!
  9. JennySower
    JennySower
    thanks!
  10. CaymanKarma
    CaymanKarma
    Oh goodness.....this info is delightful! I am grateful you are sharing the wisdom with us. THANKS!
  11. Hev
    Hev
    Thank you so much for this information - Brilliant
  12. Kelli D
    Kelli D
    This was invaluable information!! I can't thank you enough for breaking this down so thoroughly. It is much easier to understand than the packet my doctor sent me. Thank you!!!
  13. akbutt
    akbutt
    Thank you so much for this information as it will forever be invaluable as those of us newly sleeved come into our own.
  14. Divaesque
    Divaesque
    thank you thank you thank you. wonderful information to have on hand !!!
  15. angela0121
    angela0121
    Love that!!! Thank you..I get sleeved June 14th and I'm a vegetarian so I have been a little worried about what I'm going to eat because my life is carbs now which is why I'm getting sleeved Do you know the name brand of the protein tubes that you bought at Wal-Mart? Those sound heaven sent!!
  16. jerri2913
    jerri2913
    All I can do is "ditto" every post that was made. You are a fountain of knowledge that I than God for.
    God bless you as you have blessed us.
  17. Think
    Think
    Wonderful and concise information. Thanks!
  18. Daisymae07
    Daisymae07
    Thank you for the great, detailed information.
  19. JoeDee
    JoeDee
    Thanks so much...this is so helpful.