Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Insulin?

1. Pinkyjay
    Pinkyjay
    Good morning,

I am just looking for some advise for those of you who have had the sleeve done and are insulin dependant; how did you adjust your insulin with the liquid diet and post-op?
  2. lil78baby
    lil78baby
    Great question i never thought of that.
  3. joanaheter
    joanaheter
    Thank you for posting this question..I am also wondering this...
  4. Pinkyjay
    Pinkyjay
    I have to say I am a bit worried, I can adjust day to day but this will be a HUGE change.
  5. deray74
    deray74
    For myself I was on an insulin pump but for my fasting diet I only used a correction of insulin. After my surgery my blood sugars shot up there and I controlled it with at least half of what I would usually use. Now I am only on 15 units twice a day and working my way off this stuff.
  6. Pinkyjay
    Pinkyjay
    OH WOW! That's awesome! Are you Type 1?
  7. joanaheter
    joanaheter
    I can usually regulate it, but I am concerned when I have to go on the two week pre op diet how much insulin should i take i will have to watch it closely...
  8. Pinkyjay
    Pinkyjay
    That was my question too... getting the answer here is something is else.
  9. deray74
    deray74
    I am type 1 diabetic. The correction method is what I used when doing the pre op diet.
  10. finallyfree
    finallyfree
    I was insulin deoendent prior to surgery. As far preop , taking half of my lantus dose worked well. Think about it, if you aren't eating, yoyr insulin requirement is lessened.I actually have a endocrinology team that worked to maintain my numbers. Postop , I take it oily if needed and it's all based on what I eat. So I try to watch it. My base at bedtime is 200+ =6units lantus. During day, 200+=1 unut humalog quikpen,. Hope this helps. Yes, my a1c has lowered and my need for hypertension meds decreased.
  11. BrickHouse
    BrickHouse
    Can I ask what some of your A1C's were at the time of surgery? I'm T2 and on a Novolog scale, as well as a hefty dose (80 units) of Lantus. My A1C is 10. I'm so poorly controlled. I'm currently finishing chemo, so I hope it straightens out a little after I'm finished. I worry my A1C will hinder my efforts to get sleeved.
  12. wenpow
    wenpow
    Hi All;
    I have been a type 2 diabetic since 1997 and on insulin since 2001. I can only guess that I would start with about half of the amount of insulin that I used to take.
    In addition, I would test my blood sugar for the 2 weeks pre-op and two week post-op every 2-3 hours. It may seem extreme to some but I would rather know that not know what my sugars were up to.

I currently take 240 units of lantus a day (yup - that much!) PLUS 35-50 units of Novolog per meal (3-4 times a day) depending on the carb content. A1C - is around 7.5 - 8.2

I work out with a trainer who actually comes to my home twice a week.
    Am I a disciplined person when it comes to my diet!??? NOOOO! But I don't feel like I am terrible either...

Post-Op - First few days - I would think that you may not even need any Lantus at all just Novolog/Humolog to keep it under control.

Good luck - looking to have surgery over Christmas break...

Wendy
  13. Narasweet
    Narasweet
    My endo has suggested 1/3 usual dose the night before surgery, and 1/2 dose while on per op diet, I take lantus and novo rapid as needed, also to stop diabex tabs prior to surgery.

I have been having erratic sugars lately which is making dieting harder but looking forward to the after results, keeps me going!!

Being an Aussie have totally different sugar levels, normal range for us is between 4 & 8 ...

This will be life changing on so many level, just want it done!!

Take care all, hugs