Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Hello, and Extended Pre-op Dieting/Weightloss

1. lunetta
    lunetta
    Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm in Australia, and I'm currently at 258kg (348 pounds), which is the heaviest I've ever been.

My surgery has been set for late October this year, but my doctor is urging me to diet and lose as much weight as I can before this - before even the usual pre-op VLC diet. He says this is so I can go into the post-op weightloss with an advantage, plus it would be better for me to get my weight below 250kg for the surgery itself.

Has anyone else had this suggested for them?

I'd like to try, I'm just worried about the probability of my success, because after all, like I suppose many people here, I've done the dieting and exercise routine many times over the years and I KNOW how it ends up. The weightloss plateaus, then it all piles back on again (plus some extra). It worries me that if I start too soon before the operation date, I'll lose it and start adding it back again!

-
    Lynette
  2. Meg82
    Meg82
    I was at 396 lbs before my surgery and was only told to do the 10 day pre-op liquid diet. I guess each doctor is different and has their own requirements/ suggestions.
  3. LadyA
    LadyA
    I did a pre op liquid diet for a month prior to surgery. The doctor only required 2 weeks but I couldn't be over 350 since insurance was paying. I was 378 so I has to lose 28lbs before surgery. I was 347 the day of surgery. Start cutting out carbohydrates like pastas, rice's, junk food, candy, chips, soda and other high in sugar things. Start reading labels look at how much sugar and carbs are in stuff. It's shocking to see what all has it. As for a diet if your not having surgery until October start having a protein shake for breakfast everyday and no solid food until lunch. And no carbs unless its a vegetable. No juice, soda, or other sugary drinks. Drink Crystal Light, MIO, or the other little drink mixes that you can put in your water. No more carbonated drinks (including sparkling water). I say go ahead and get yourself in the mindset. Also cut out snacks. I am telling you all the stuff my doctors nutrition lady told me when I begun the process. Good luck!
  4. Jen NM
    Jen NM
    Cut out carbs, cut them now. Research the pale diet and the primal diet. Do it now to help you prepare physically for surgery. But even more important do it now to peppers your brain for post surgery. Surgery is just one tiny piece of a giant lifestyle change. You MUST prepare yourself mentally.
  5. JulesH
    JulesH
    October seems such a long time to wait.. I did the pre-op diet for a month before, the doctor suggested that the objective was to get the fat out of the liver to make it easier for the operation. So I stuck to it like glue, it wasnt too hard because there was a definite payoff and I knew after the sleeve was done, there would be a lot of diet restrictions to come. Im not sure I could do it for the length of time you have to though.. I weighed 172kg (379pounds) on my first doctor visit, now 6 weeks after the surgery (10 weeks from the start) Ive lost 22kg (48pounds) and was just given the go ahead to go back onto normal foods. So now there are going to be new challenges to face. Im an Aussie too!
    Best of luck with your journey..
  6. RockvilleGirl
    RockvilleGirl
    My doctor puts you on a diet immediately when they start seeing you so that they can demonstrate to the insurance that you have seen them for weight management and also gauge your commitment to changing your behavior. That dieting portion is just less strict. They really encourage you to cut most but not all carbs. My doctor then requires 4 weeks of pre-op diet once you have your surgery scheduled. 2 weeks of 2 protein shakes and one meal per day, and then two weeks of all liquids - protein shakes, broth, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles and drinks. My surgeon's explanation for the 4 weeks of more severe diet is that this helps to shrink the liver which makes the laparoscopic surgeries go better since the liver sits right on top of the stomach. Essentially if your liver is too large, the doc will likely have to make your incisions larger, and possibly also open you up.
  7. SassySteffi
    SassySteffi
    My Dr requested that I lose 3 lbs, as he wanted me to be 310 lbs by the time we are ready to schedule the surgery. I've been doing the 3 meals a day since Feb and really trying to watch what I eat. My surgery has now be set for June 18 and I start my liquid diet (2x a day) and eat a small dinner for the next 2 weeks. I lost almost 10 lbs since I started doing what they asked me too, as I now weigh 304. I hope to lose more with the liquid diet these next two weeks. The Dr is only looking out for you and if you're having your insurance pay for your surgery, it may be to see if you can follow thru with the plan afterwards. That's just my opinion. I wish you luck and YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!