Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Weight Gain

1. dyiana
    dyiana
    I have been working on loosing weight since June 2012. Doctor told me in October That I needed to be at 220 to do the surgery. Two weeks ago I Finlay got my weight down to 216 and last week got my surgery date because I have reached pre surgery goal weight with the doctor. It was a struggle to get to that weight. I increased my exercise and ate mostly protein. Tomorrow I go in for a day long pre surgery class and they are going to weigh me. My scale at home is saying 219. I am afraid I am going to be scolded and perhaps have my surgery date canceled. I am felling anxiety and stress over this. I have worked so hard and waited so long. Has anyone else experienced this? I have Kaiser and I am at the Richmond CA facility.
  2. mngal10
    mngal10
    All scales are slightly different and most dr's allow for that...no worries
  3. Misscole0014
    Misscole0014
    There are so many things that can count for that...STRESS, water weight, are you due for your "friend." Don't worry and talk to your DR. I am sure he will be understanding. Good luck!
  4. leo39
    leo39
    First of all, congratulations for all your hard work, you are almost there! If they would cancel surgery for a pound or two, that seems excessively 'anal' and I don't think they will call you out on it. More likely, they'll ask you to keep on going with your efforts through to the surgery, maybe go down to liquids a week before the operation. They want you to be as prepared as you can mentally as well as physically, the weight isn't as important as you breaking any patterns and habits that keep you heavy. Once you have your new stomach there is no going back and you will have enough to deal with physically to recover, as well as the head hunger that tries to convince you to do things you shouldn't. That's why they want you to follow a very restricted diet. As hard as it is to do, it will be your new life in a short while!! The faster you accept it as the norm, the better.
    For me, I find if I am not drinking enough water, I will stay at the same weight. The only way I continue to go down is by drinking 8-10 glasses a day. I used to not even really like water but now I crave it (once you have the habit of drinking that much water, it will happen to you as well). It just gets things moving and gets toxins out of your body, keeps your digestion humming right along, etc. I try to have a full glass before I even get out of bed and just keep it in my hand or close at hand all day long. I find that, even more than exercise, helps me continue to lose.
    I wish you a great doctor visit and a speedy recovery from the sleeve!
  5. Debbie Barnes
    Debbie Barnes
    I did the same exact thing. The nurse did scold me a bit, I'd gained .4 lbs and she said I was supposed to be LOSING, not gaining. But the dr. Told me it wasn't a big deal, and on my surgery day I was up about 3 lbs, and he did the surgery. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Besides, I'm sure your dr. Wants your money.
  6. jerri2913
    jerri2913
    I know the panic...my Dr assured me she would not do it if I gained. Nurses even told me they have seen her cancel the day of the surgery.
    However, I don't think they mean a pound or two. They are looking for any big gains that indicate you are not taking this serious.
    Just 3 pounds could be water weight, and since they deal with over weight people all the time
    I should think they have enough common sense to figure that out. Have you eaten anything high in salt?
  7. kj44
    kj44
    i didnt have to reach a specific weight to have the surgery......thankfully.
  8. dyiana
    dyiana
    Thank you everyone for your replies and support. It was water weight. I had chicken marinated in soy with ginger and garlic and Having a low thyroid makes me prone to water retention. I lost it all the next day.

When I went it I weight 220.02 and now I am back down to 214 -215. The water came off the next day. Still learning about myself in many ways!