Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

I just had a sleeve a few days ago and having trouble finding food i like to eat !!!

1. Zeekecavaricci
    Zeekecavaricci
    Wow. You shouldn't be on anything but liquids for the first couple of weeks, then only pureed soft items for the next two weeks and then slowly add back items as per your nutritionist diet schedule. Of course you will be gagging on food at this time. IF you do not have a diet, I will include ours.

POST-OP INSTRUCTIONS

Congratulations on your new life!!
    In the next 4-6 weeks, there will be many changes.
    NO FOOD, NO FOOD, NO FOOD !!!!!

At this time, liquids are very important. Keep a bottle of water with you, and sip, sip, sip. Gatorade is fine for the first day or two. You may also water down juice. Baby juice is also very good. Sip slowly, do not gulp. Some people will tolerate cold and some may not. It will be your choice. Popsicles, Jell-O, broth, or any clear liquid for the next week. You still need to try to consume 6-8 cups of fluid per day. It will be hard, but try.

Bariatric Surgery Post-Op Information & Diet

No carbonated beverages or alcohol for 6 weeks.

Follow the diet as outlined below:

SEE THE OTHER DISCUSSION GROUP BY ZEEKE CALLED "SIP,SIP, SIP
    Eat slowly and chew thoroughly- at least 25 times!

Avoid items with large amounts of sugars, especially those in liquid form. They are filled with non-nutrient calories and slow down weight loss.
    Remember the stomach can only hold 3-4 oz after surgery. You will probably feel satisfied after 2-3 tablespoons of food. Do Not Over Eat! Over time your stomach will stretch. It takes 6-9 months (possibly longer) for your new stomach size to stabilize and allow you to determine your normal meal amount.

Stop eating when you feel comfortably satisfied. If ignored, vomiting will follow and you can stretch the size of the stomach. The more you push it and the more you vomit or wretch, you will increase the inflammation and swelling in your esophagus and pouch. If you are unable to keep anything down and are having extreme difficulty staying hydrated, sip on Gatorade or propel which also has electrolytes necessary for normal cell function. Once you feel better, return to non-calorie beverages such as water and flat diet drinks.
    Drink at least 6 to 8 cups (8 oz) of fluid per day to prevent dehydration.
    Stop drinking liquids 15 minutes before meals and resume 30 - 45 minutes after meals.
    Eat 3 small nutrient dense meals + 1 high protein snack a day.
    Introduce new foods one at a time in order to rule out any intolerance. If a food is not tolerated, reintroduce it in 1 week.
    If you cannot tolerate dairy, substitute Lactaid for milk. You can also try soy milk fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
    Add 1 – sub-lingual B12 vitamin a day (available at all local pharmacies over-the-counter).
    If you experience heartburn or acid reflux, this will be helped by taking Milk of Magnesia.

Your diet progression should be as follows:
    1st Week Post-Op:
    The first and second week you will be on a liquid diet. Using a straw is recommended to avoid big gulps that may cause nausea or discomfort.
    During the first week, clear liquids are recommended (water, apple, and white grape juices are recommended).
    From the fourth day on, natural fruit juices (strained) and gelatin (small chunks, chew and dissolve) can be added if well tolerated.
    Have all the clear water that you can in between "meals".
    Room temperature liquids during the first week are recommended (slightly cold gelatin is acceptable).

2nd to 3rd Week Post-Op:
    On your second week continue with clear liquids and gelatin and add:

Whole natural fruit juice, use synthetic sugar to sweeten (Equal, Nutra-Sweet, Stevia, etc.).
    Pear and Apple pure
    Soups (broth):
    Potato
    Tomato
    Lentil
    Vegetable
    Chicken

3rd to 4th Week Post-Op (Home Soft Diet):

Blended meat and poultry (the texture of baby food), soft poached eggs
    Canned and/or ****** baby foods that are low in sugar and higher in protein (meat and chicken) are acceptable.
    Low fat cottage cheese, sugar free puddings
    Unsweetened applesauce, pureed canned peaches (not in syrup), mashed ripe bananas
    Blended soft cooked vegetables, or overcooked and mashed with a fork
    Oatmeal, grits, farina

Food Suggestions for Home Soft Diet
    Food Group Food Choices
    Bread, Cereal, Pasta, and Rice: 1-2 serving/s 1= cup
    Hot cereal (with skim milk) – unsweetened oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits
    Fruit: 1-2 serving/s 1 = cup
    Unsweetened applesauce, pureed canned / ****** peaches and pears in their own juice (not syrup), any fruit pureed without the skin, mashed ripe banana
    Vegetable: 1-2 serving/s 1 = cup
    Any vegetable (except corn) cooked soft and blended or mashed with the back of a fork. Make sure broccoli and cauliflower are cooked very well.
    Meat, Poultry, Fish, Nuts, Beans and Eggs: 2-3 serving/s 1 = cup
    Chopped up soft poached eggs or scrambled egg, egg salad with low fat mayo, blended meat, poultry, and flaked fish (fillet) cooked very soft and moist (mix with lemon, light dressing, a pinch of oil), blended tuna salad without vegetables, very soft/moist meatloaf (after one week), gefilte fish, and silken tofu.
    Milk, Cheese, and Yogurt: 3-4 serving/s 1 =cup
    Skim milk or Skim Plus, low fat or non-fat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, sugar free custards and puddings, non-fat unsweetened / low sugar yogurt, sugar free frozen yogurt, and sugar free fat free ice cream.
    Fats and Oils: Limit all
    Miscellaneous:
    Canned soups, homemade soups (vegetable, meat, poultry contents should be overcooked or blended) - limit cream soups – Healthy choice, Progresso Lite, and Healthy Request, egg drop soup and Miso soup.
    Sugar free Jell-O, sugar free popsicles (Dole, Starburst), Pedialyte popsicles, and sugar-free/fat free ice cream.
    Artificial sweeteners which are acceptable: NutraSweet / Equal, Sweet n’ Low/ Saccharine and Splendid/ Sucralose
    Liquids: Sip throughout the day but not during meals. Try to drink at least 6 to 8 cups (8 oz) of fluid per day.
    Flat diet soda, skim milk or Skim Plus, Crystal Light, decaf coffee and tea, all broths, any sugar free beverages, and water!

4-6 Weeks Post-Op:
    All foods previously tolerated, tofu, fish and seafood, thinly sliced deli turkey or ham and other luncheon meats, slices of low fat cheese, unsweetened canned or cooked fruit, potatoes, squash, unsweetened cereal with skim milk or skim plus, boiled chicken in broth (cut up in small pieces), crisp toast and crackers, beans and peas, and lean, moist ground turkey and beef.
    6-8 Weeks Post-Op:
    Diced poultry (no skin), vegetable burgers, soft cooked vegetables, soft fruits (watermelon, honeydew, peaches, and plums), and well-cooked pasta.
    3 Months Post-Op:
    Rice, un-toasted bread, lean and moist meat and poultry.
    4 Months Post-Op:
    Veal, crunchy fruits and vegetables (including salads). Beef and pork can be introduced but poultry and fish are recommended due to lower fat content.

The diet should always be high in protein and low in refined carbohydrates (white flour).
    Preferably, choose protein first, then fruits and vegetables, and then whole grains.

STOCK YOUR PANTRY
    It is encouraged that you plan ahead and stock your kitchen with foods that will support your nutritional needs after surgery. The following are suggestions to get you started.
    DRY GOODS
    Whey protein powder
    Vitamin/mineral supplements
    Natural peanut butter
    Almond butter, soy-nut butter
    Cocoa powder
    Benefiber
    Crushed flax seed

LIQUIDS
    Herbal teas
    Bottled water (non-sparkling)
    Crystal Lite
    No calorie beverage (non-carbonated)

FRUITS
    Sugar free frozen fruit
    Sugar free canned fruit
    Applesauce
    Baby pureed fruits

SOUPS
    Low fat cream based soups
    Vegetable soups
    Lentil soups
    Bean soups
    Chicken broth
    Beef broth
    Tomato soup

CANNED FOODS
    Beans
    Fat free refried beans
    Pasta/tomato sauce
    Canned fish (salmon, tuna, sardines)
    Canned white meat chicken

CEREALS
    Oatmeal
    Grits
    Cream of Wheat
    Kashi hot cereal

SPICES / FLAVORINGS / SYRUPS
    Any spice or herb to flavor food
    Favor extracts: vanilla / orange / mint
    True lemon/lime
    Torani or DaVinci Gourmet sugar free
    flavored syrups

DAIRY
    Skim milk
    Almond milk
    Soy milk (Soy slender, Continent 8)
    Cottage cheese
    Ricotta cheese
    Plain non-fat yogurt
    Sugar free non-fat yogurt
    Eggs or EggBeaters
    Silken Tofu

VEGETABLES ( a blender, magic bullet, or blender helps here)
    V-8 juice
    Canned peas, carrots, beets, squash
    Baby food pureed vegetables

SUPPLIMENTS
    *Protein (Most whey protein powder (one scoop) = 52 gm protein, blended with 1 cup of soy/almond/skim milk = 8 grams)
    (This gives you 60 gms. of protein in one drink) Daily recommendation = 60 gm. (Can be split morning and evening)
    LITTLE KNOWN FACT: PROTEIN TAKEN BEDFORE BED BREAKS DOWN THE FATS, CARBOHYDRATES, AND CALORIES, WHILE YOU SLEEP
    THERE IS IMPROVED WEIGHT LOSS IF ALLOWED TO WORK AT NIGHT !!

*Multi Vitamins ( I had to use childrens chewables) I also found some liquid vitamins at the health food store
    *Iron tablets
    *B -12 sublingual tablets (B-12 increases weight loss and decreases body and mental stress) I get 1 cc shots twice/week

NUTRITION PLAN
    Immediately after your surgery it is very important to follow the eating and drinking instructions to allow the procedure you underwent time to heal completely at the surgical site. This has been estimated to take a month or more. It is also important, especially in the first weeks after surgery, not to overeat or swallow large bites of food that have not been chewed extremely well. Problems may occur if these instructions are not strictly followed. When vomiting occurs the stomach may rise up about the band placement causing slippage of the band requiring re-operation.

NUTRITION PLAN
    Your nutrition plan is divided into four (4) phases – each phase allowing you to adjust to your new gastric pouch.

THE FIRST FEW DAYS AFTER SURGERY:
    The day after the operation you will begin taking in fluids, but only drink a small amount at a time. Besides water, you should also choose liquids that have an adequate number of calories. To prevent nausea and vomiting, do not drink too much at any one time.
    Clear liquids only (liquids you can see through). These include broth, Jell-O, juices (apple, cranberry, and white grape), tea or popsicles. Again see the Discussion by zeekec called Sip, Sip, Sip

I hope this helps. Please take care of yourself and don't push this hard. After years as a bariatric nurse, I am now an R.N. in the Emergency Room and see leaks and ruptures almost every month by people trying to push food way too early. This is a very different life and it is not easy to follow, but you must stick to a very specific post bariatric diet plan. The above plan is a safe plan. If I can be of further assistance, please call out for help before you end up back in the hospital with a leak, rupture or a stretched out pouch.
  2. 1happyloser2b
    1happyloser2b
    Again, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! You are an extra bonus!!! We are sooo fortunate to have you on this site!!!!
  3. happyhabit
    happyhabit
    Exactly what I needed! I was thinking of making a grocery list of items to stock up on and this is very helpful
  4. Risty
    Risty
    this is what i have been looking for i really appreciate you posting thank you!!!
  5. carol62
    carol62
    I am on day 14 and have been on blended foods since day three as per my doc instruction..i have no trouble with any foods...good luck today
  6. Patty711
    Patty711
    thanks so much. Great info
  7. Rubyficient
    Rubyficient
    This is all wonderful, Thank you!!
  8. momdukes54
    momdukes54
    Thanks , good information. I am learning so much on this site . Glad you are here for us
  9. lovinglife420
    lovinglife420
    awesome thank you so much
  10. amcmillan
    amcmillan
    almost everyone will get dehydrated because they think they have had enough water.signs of dehydration headache,constipation/not going to bathroom for 5 days or more,a stall in weight loss is also a sign of dehydration,hunger pains.yep a lot of the time you feel hungry but your body actually wants water.so drink drink drink and drink some more.good luck
  11. patsy
    patsy
    Thanks so much!!
  12. SANDRA62
    SANDRA62
    I have a mantra that I use now---just to avoid this issue after (Surgery coming up in July)---"Eating is NOT an activity, it's a necessity". I know I will no longer have to focus on what I "Like" but what my body needs. I am choosing to do this and eating what I liked is what got me here in the first place---so I will have to do the exact opposite when it is all over. I'm sure I will miss many of the things I have come to love, but I think I will like shopping in the non-plus size part of the stores a lot more! And not aching all the time from being heavy...I'm so stoked about this whole thing. Thank you for this information--It sounds so extremely helpful and I like that it comes from a reliable source. I am definitely going to print and keep for reference!
  13. Terri P
    Terri P
    This is great information, Thank you!!!