Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Is anyone worried about being sleeved at such a young age?

1. amykarryn
    amykarryn
    Just curious if anyone is worried about being sleeved at such a young age? The positives is that we get to live our lives and get the most out of them for longer, but the sleeve is a newer surgery with less data and statistics to go by as far as longevity and any long term effects...and sort of more of a commitment to eating in a certain way that can be difficult than if you got the procedure in your 50's or 60's as an example. does anyone have any thoughts on this, or has anyone done any research?
  2. sarahjjames76
    sarahjjames76
    Not as worried as I am of the chronic health problems that going along with being 100+ lbs overweight for the rest of my life. Not as worried as I am about sitting the rest of my life out on the sidelines because I have this gigantic belt of fat around me. I don't think changing the way I will eat is going to be any less easy at the age of 50 or 60, in fact I feel it would be harder. It's hard enough at the age of 36.
  3. amykarryn
    amykarryn
    I hear you. I guess for me right now it's just the weight. I don't have any health issues right this moment, but i'm sure if i stay this weight i will develop them. and as you mentioned, a lot of this right now is emotional based on feeling invisible. And living life on the sidelines as you put it. i also have a 15 month old son that i desparately do not want to bring bad habits to, nor do i ever want him to feel like he has to defend his "fat mom" from anyone...
  4. ezell29
    ezell29
    When I started thinking about having the surgery (sleeve) the one thing that kept coming in my head was the fact that it was so new so for me i went with the rny just cause its more data out there. But I think at a point when we do have to think about what better being unhealthy or enjoying a life with family and friends .
  5. amykarryn
    amykarryn
    I was really afraid to have something like the gastric bypass for a lot of reasons, and I was really not too impressed with the lap band. I am really beleiving this will be the best surgical option for me. i just get nervous that i'm 33 (i'll be 34 when i have the surgery) and it is quite a long time to live with it. But i do want to have a quality of life, and be healthy. And start shopping in non plus size stores. That would be awesome.
  6. Hollylouya
    Hollylouya
    I'm not worried. They've been doing the duodenal switch for a long time and the sleeve is the first step in that procedure. I felt confident that there was enough research and data to proceed. So far I'm glad I did.
  7. amykarryn
    amykarryn
    Hi Holly, it's good to hear that there is some familiarty there it is part of the an operation that has been performed. plus the internet can have a lot of data that is not really from actual MDs. It's sort of hard to do research on the web. I feel much better talking to people who have actually gone through it.
  8. aclabombard13
    aclabombard13
    I completely agree with Sarahjjames76 - Not only did it not concern me that I was doing this at a young age, but I'm so thankful I didn't wait until I was older. I actually wish I had done this 10 years ago. I was 32 when I had my surgery done and I don't have a single regret. I have two daughters, who are 4 and 6, that I want to set a good example for and certainly don't want them to have to feel embarrassed by me - "the fat mom"! My success so far has exceeded all my expectations. When I started my journey in March of this year I weighed 260lbs (I actually believe I weighed an additional 10-15lbs in Dec 2011). I began my pre-op diet at the end of March and by the end of May I had lost 30lbs and was so ready for surgery. Now here I am, not quite 6 months out from surgery, and I weigh 150lbs!!!! It is amazing how much a change in weight has changed me! I have a new outlook on life, a new attitude and have regained my self-worth and self-esteem. I'm so happy to go out in the world and not have to hide myself away and feel invisible. I've gone from wearing a size 20-22 to wearing a size 6 and 2x shirts to a medium, I never would have imagined I would be in a size 6, especially in less than 6 months and I'm not even done losing yet. Like you, I also had no health issues, but that was just another reason not to wait. Why wait until the fat starts tearing down my body and eating away at my health? Only you can know what's right for you. I think you're getting apprehensive and that's completely normal... as much as you try to research and prepare yourself, there is still that fear of the unknown. I am perfectly fine with eating this way for the rest of my life. I can still eat most foods, just in much, much smaller portions. You're right about researching on the web, it's hard to find accurate information and chances are you will find horror stories that are made up by people against WLS, meant to sway people from having these procedures. You've come to the right place for good information and advice, who's better than those who have already gone through it? Good luck with your journey
  9. Atyourcervix78
    Atyourcervix78
    I am definitely not scared about having this surgery at a "young" age. Because, in my family, few people make it to 55. Sad, but true.
  10. Sleeve Steve
    Sleeve Steve
    I'm not scared. I'm a guy. I don't really worry that often. lol
  11. christinaja
    christinaja
    I'm not worried about the surgery itself. The risks, as compared to other surgical options, are minimal, and the effectiveness thus far is impressive. My biggest worry is the health issues that would, inevitably, come later in life for me. I am your age, 33, and have already had health issues.
  12. Nikki-Coco
    Nikki-Coco
    I am 36 mother of 6 total (including steps)... I was just sleeved on May 1st. I am still wondering what all I am experiencing day to day with my body but I am so glad I took the first step to getting rid of the health issues, lack of energy, lethargy, frustration from shopping and so looking forward to regaining that vibrant life I once lived. I cant wait to dance(professionally) again, enjoy shopping with my friends and daughter and have the energy to be the young woman that I am