Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Pain Medication Management

1. Jenniferkatie
    Jenniferkatie
    Going to Tijuana, Mx for my sleeve on July 8th! Very nervous about pain management post surgery. What meds do they use for your pain during the hospital stay and when moved to the hotel? And what do they give for nausea meds? Did any of you bring medications with you from home to manage your pain/nausea? Any information would be great! Just for information, I'm going with Dr. Garcia and having it done at Florence Hospital! Thanks!
  2. naschroeder
    naschroeder
    I had my surgery in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico and was given Toradol for pain when I left the hospital. However, I never used it. The pain was very manageable even immediately after surgery. At no point, did I ever feel that I was hurting to a point where I needed something, and I have a low pain tolerance. As far as nausea, I don't recall what I was given, but like the pain medication, I never used it. Personally, I don't think you should bring any medicine with you. Trust them to care for you. Plus, you don't want to risk the potential for drug interactions.
  3. imtad
    imtad
    They know what they are doing. You will be given meds while there and will be sent home with pain meds (mild non narcotic), antibiotics, and a nausea med. You will be uncomfortable but nothing that would warrant major pain meds. Pain is part of the process. It is major surgery and everyone of us experiences it a little different but we all seem to get through it. You will be fine and you just need to focus on how wonderful the whole thing will be. The only thing I would suggest or recommend that you bring and use is GasX dissolving strips. Gas is an issue for almost everyone. Not the same kind of gas you get from eating a bowl of beans but high in the gut and up into the shoulders. Other than that you don't need extras.
  4. bergamini
    bergamini
    Dr. Garcia gave me IV pain meds in the hospital and the previously mentioned Toradol on discharge. I brought some old Percocet I had leftover just in case but I never needed it.
  5. fatgirl2013
    fatgirl2013
    You wont need to take pain medicine, because they take good care of you. Dont worry! They are very professionals.
  6. Dyanne4293
    Dyanne4293
    Dr. Almanza give Toradol. Non-narcotic pain medication when you leave the hospital. Post op - in the hospital - I got IV Nubane. Which is an incredible pain medication! Upon discharge, I walked alot to get rid of gas pain. I took the Toridol several times in 72-hours.
    The reason Almanza does not give narcotics upon discharge because it slows the healing process and can cause rebound pain when it wears off.
  7. AngelNP
    AngelNP
    Pain medication does not slow healing process. The "pain" or discomfort is caused from inflammation which a NSAID is the best medication, and opioid medication is not needed, or pain is also caused by gas trapped (walking and Gas X strips work the best). In the hospital, IV meds (opioid and antiemetic) medication are used as mentioned above. Although I had different surgerons, I was sent home with Toradol and used it for 3 or 4 days and then no pain medication OTC or Rx. When I was hospitalized, I had a significantly swollen sleeve where I wretched after I walked, if this happens, request IV steroid-Methylprednisolone (OMG...it stopped my symptoms immediately & felt like a champ afterwards!) Hope that helps.