Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

What Happened to everyone in group 50+?

1. TexasLady
    TexasLady
    I am 60 years old. I have not been sleeved yet, but surgery is tentatively rescheduled for July 3. I was looking forward to finding an adult group close to my age as I thought we would discuss things that possibly younger people don't discuss. I am very sad to see that none of the older groups are active. I also thought the Baby Boomer Group would be fun and informative too. But not much there either. If some of you would like to become active group members, let's talk.
  2. Debbie L
    Debbie L
    Hi Texas Lady!
    Hope I am not too late with this post. I just became a member because I am going to get the sleeve. I am still in the process of getting an authorization from my insurance co. the second time. I chickened out the first time. I know now that this road is the one I must take if I ever want my life back. I have so many health issues because of my weight that I figured the surgery was worth it. Let's chat, OK?
  3. Grma1956
    Grma1956
    Hey ya'll. I am 55 years old. I had my sleeve done on 6-20-2012. I believe the hardest part was sip, sip, sip. Just be careful not to get dehydrated. Hard to get an IV in when you are.
    Surgery was a breeze. Prayed about it, realised I would not live another 20 years on the road I was on.
    I am three weeks out. Doc says its extremely important to keep up your protein intake. If I don't get my 60 grams a day, My energy is zapped. The protein shakes and I were not friends, but they had their place and I am grateful for them. Just remember, you can do anything for a certain period of time.
    Already it is worth it! I went into surgery at 255 pounds. I have stalled for about 4 days at 226 pounds. That's okay, I can already tell a big difference.
    I was spending close to $ 1,000.00 a month on medication before. Diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension, skin disorders, depression, etc, etc. Leaving the hospital on day four, I take 1/4 of a blood pressure pill. Good luck to you all!
    Debbie
  4. florida 60 girl
    florida 60 girl
    What a wonderful note. I needed this information so much. I am still in prep stages believe surgery mid Oct . Thank you so very much.
  5. annabel
    annabel
    GMA1956
    How did you make "friends" with the protein drinks? The best brand that I have found is Pure Protein, chocolate shake, although the vanilla cream isn't too bad. I am just so tired of cold and sweet. I am more a fan of savory or salty. Do you ever feel full on the drinks? I am never hungry, but am never full either. Does this sound right to you? My surgery was a month after yours 8/21/12. Looking forward to hearing from you and others.
  6. butterscott
    butterscott
    Hello, I am 55, weight 255, and scheduled for surgey in November 7. Thanks for all the advise and lets keep it going!
  7. Memo
    Memo
    Having my surgery this morning. I loved my shakes! but hate this bowel prep! I'm still going. Guess have to put a depend bcuz I don't know if I'll make to hospital! Wish me luck n prayers. Still scared n nervous.
  8. rarb
    rarb
    Good luck to you on your surgery. I am 55 and still in the process of getting my initial appointment. I have to have a psych consult and that's scheduled for Monday. Still nervous and haven't gotten over the leakage issue.......
  9. BethJane
    BethJane
    I think us older gals might have had a lot more experience with other surgeries and maybe better able to understand and navigate the sleeve process, and maybe even be more relaxed about our decisions, it comes with the territory, I do post and blog a lot, but a lot of it is to the younger crowd it seems. I don't intentionally want to be sleepy here, but have found I can also look for advice from any age group mostly about what to eat. I joined this site because I thought I might have questions about the sleeve and menopause, but honestly, my menopause completely disappeared after the sleeve, but I am only 3 weeks post op. I would appreciate any comments if you have any guesses, reasons, or experiences with menopause and the sleeve???
  10. Jasmine
    Jasmine
    Beth Jane - How are you doing this soon out? Are you feeling well . . . eating yet? My surgery is just around the corner and I'm a tad nervous . . . not all of the time. . . . It just "hits" me sometimes! I'd love to hear how you're doing!
  11. pianomom
    pianomom
    I am 64 and had the sleeve on 12/26. I have had no problems or complications and seem to be able to tolerate most foods. I am not eating any breads, pasta, rice, sugars but other than that, the doctor placed me on "normal" foods, just 5 oz or so. I am now exercising at the gym on a couple of machines 2 days per week and doing the beginner Zumba class 3 days per week. I have lost a total of 56 pounds; 39 since the surgery. My daughter is having the sleeve on 3/13.
  12. abequa2000
    abequa2000
    I am set for April 9th 2013 getting my band out and the sleeve on im ready
  13. dawnrachel
    dawnrachel
    HI All, I'm on the count down with 14 days to go. My surgeon does not require a pre-op diet except to eat light and take metamucil the day before. I have been so looking forward to it and decided that I not only need to read the 'good' posts but the ones where things did go so well....just to be prepared. I find it's giving me lots of anxiety. Not so much that I wouldn't go forward but making me pretty tense. Glad to hear the success stories of those in the 50+ group.
  14. joanaheter
    joanaheter
    I am on my last leg of jumping through hoops for my ins...doing my stress test tomorrow, next week doing my last weight management class and nutrition class. Hope fully I will be ready by July to have this done...
  15. Rn1334
    Rn1334
    I was sleeved on 8/1/2012...luv my new life..I'm 5 pounds from my goal wait, I've had no complications, I excercise 40 minutes per day and I luv shopping for my new wardrobe...life is good and it can be done if you follow directions...:-)
  16. reberm
    reberm
    Hi Everyone, My surgery date is June 6th. Have been working on the pre ops since February. Got the call last week to set the date.! Wow it is really happening now. Getting excited. Just found this site and it is so great to be able to read all these posts. I am 58. I know several people who have had the sleeve. One who had a revision from a band that just never worked for her. They all look wonderful. My own 27 year old daughter had a band 7 years ago and she lost but gained it back. She is getting really jealous that I am getting the sleeve. It dawned on me that I am 30 years older than the ones I know. It made me hesitate. I was so happy to find this over 50 group. So reassuring! Thank you
  17. Muppin
    Muppin
    50+ are best years of our lives. I am finally taking care of myself, took care of everyone else. I think my nights and days are messed up, hyper and night and tired during the day. Oh well putting my foot down and getting that under control lol