Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Follow-up after sleeve

1. amberbates21
    amberbates21
    Hello,

I had surgery on February 15th and have not seen a doctor in the states yet for a follow-up.....when do you normally go for a follow-up or is it even necessary?
  2. Newme2013
    Newme2013
    Hi Amber, its Karen. I saw my primary care physician 3 weeks after surgery. I had been doing fine but it was a precautionary visit. My doctor did my blood work and said it was important to know my vitamin D3 and B6 and 12 levels now. Also I have a history of hbp and high blood lipids so I have to make sure this is under control. After the results came back she said everything looked fine but I had to make a 3 month follow up appointees. Some people have not seen a doctor since surgery but given my history I had to.
  3. PlatinumPink
    PlatinumPink
    I don't intend to followup post op unless I have complications except for my stitch removal.
  4. lindmar
    lindmar
    Dr. Q told me to see a nutritionist at about 4 weeks & get blood work done at 3 months. I've never done it, but if you don't want to see a PCP you can get blood work done at Walgreens inexpensively. I think it's important to check Vit D, potassium, iron & calcium levels.
  5. lindmar
    lindmar
    btw I went to a nutritionist at the local bariatric center near me. She was SOOOO helpful! She gave me a lot info on vitamins & food & was very up-to-date on the latest bariatic studies. My insurance covered it, but they have cheaper rates for self-pay if needed.
  6. Eleanorrose
    Eleanorrose
    I also had high blood pressure, sleep apena, pre-diabetes, GURD< fibroymaligo, and high blood pressure behind my eyes. Now I am 30 pounds down, and my dr. wanted a before and after picture because he was to convice his mom to have this operation. I sleep through the night, no more gurd, or pre -diabetes, still have high blood pressure but for the first time in years I am sleeping through the night. You are going to love Dr. Q.

All the best, Eleanor Rose
  7. PlatinumPink
    PlatinumPink
    Lindmar, can you tell me more about this bloodwork at Walgreens? That is very interesting to me. When I get my bloodwork at my doctor I always end up with a $350-$400 bill left over from my insurance, it really ticks me off. So, if I could get it done at Walgreens for much, much cheaper I'd rather do that.
  8. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Amber i have no insurance I have not had a follow up since my surgery 7/6/2012.
  9. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Oh and they do have clinics if you really need to get a check up which are low income clinics if you qualify.
  10. lindmar
    lindmar
    Hi Platinum - just call & ask the pharmacist. I know they will test for specific things like A1C, but they also have a basic blood panel...iron, potassium, other vitamin levels. My mom has gone there and also to Bartels (probably local for here) because she's says the same thing about her doctor being expensive for regular blood work. Just call & ask them Oh I just remembered, a while back I wanted to check my A1C & bought a kit for $8.00 (yes $8!!) at Walmart. You sent 2 drops of blood in a pre-paid mailer & then get the results online a few days later.
  11. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Lindmar that is great advice for everyone if your in the FB group can you share that in there as well. facebook.com/groups/medeviews
  12. PlatinumPink
    PlatinumPink
    OH wow! That is awesome! Thanks for that info!
  13. fleiniebop1
    fleiniebop1
    If you have a quest, lab core, you can call them also .. if you are self pay you can ask for specific tests for what you need and its inexpensive. hope that helps..
  14. DragonsLoard
    https://health-tests-direct.com/

They offer blood test at great prices. You find a local lab have your test done and then you get your results online.