Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

6 days post op only lost 2 pounds!!!!!!

1. rn4kids
    rn4kids
    I know i am not getting all my water in, or protein. I had actually gained 2 lbs when i got home from hospital!! And i was npo for almost 72 hrs with iv fluids most of that time.
  2. JuneBride
    JuneBride
    IV fluids will make you gain weight thats for sure! I gained SIX pounds from surgery to the day I got home lol.
  3. anncharlie
    anncharlie
    this is my 7th day out post op and I refuse to weigh myself until I go to doctor's office to get my staples removed... we are so bloated, swollen, and hurting that fluid retention is inevitable... don't weigh yourself till you go back to doctors and then you will have time to stop all the fluid retention and hopefully you will have lost a few pounds...
  4. leo39
    leo39
    So sorry that you are feeling discouraged. I know I've put on weight from IV fluids and after about five days it goes away. Those IV fluids are well worth the temporary weight gain, they really help while you are dealing with nausea and pain and not able to get in enough fluid/protein on your own. Chin up!
  5. imtad
    imtad
    rn4kids, maybe it would help you feel better if you went back and read some older posts. I know there is no way to read them all but it is very normal for there to be weight gain initially. You must give it a few weeks for the swelling to go down and the body to start processing again. If you read some posts you should also find that it is a bad idea to even weigh yourself for at least a week or two. Now if you had had lipo that may be a different story. The weight that was removed from you body in the stomach would only be a few oz's. Ad how many pounds of fluid you were given, the amount of fluid your body is retaining to try to heal it's self you come up with either a small gain or very little loss. You need to be patient and let your body heal and you need to do your best to keep it hydrated and nurtured so it can do it's job. You did not gain all your weight over night and our bodies cannot lose it over night. The scale is your enemy, not your friend. Take measurements and use that as your guide not poundage.