Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Here goes Needed to post for support.

1. fleiniebop1
    fleiniebop1
    Hi everyone,, I have not posted in this group yet but My name is Tena... I am over 350 actually and very nervous about putting that out there. I AM so miserable, I have went back and forth for several months about having the sleeve BUT not any more. I am ready but still don't take the jitters away that is for sure. My funding has been such a struggle but with some hope I find out Monday if it went through AS this surgery is what is going to save my life I feel. I have tried every avenue and have fought my weight my whole life and have tried more diets then time could take to type them. Some have succeeded for a short time but it always came back. SO now I feel this is the one thing that will be my crutch you might say To finally beat this battle of my weight.

I have made the decision to have my surgery in Mexico and yes that has brought a whole lot of grief in itself. I have chosen Dr. Almanza as my surgeon and my date is May 9th 2013. If anyone has any helpful tips on how to make this an easy process I am all ears. I was told 10 day post off but am shooting for 14 due to such a high bmi. so any ideas would be most helpful. I hope to make friends here and gain lots of knowledge that will make my journey a less bumpy one. Thanks for everyone's time.
  2. ShannaBanana
    ShannaBanana
    Hi tena, I used Dr. Almanza also. I'm 41 days post op. Yep it's alittle scary at first, but worth it. I had buyers remorse the first week, but then out got better. The staff at Dr.Almanza s is great. They make you feel at home. They take great care of you. Just remember there will be stalls and they re no fun but it happens. I'll tell you anything you want to know. Just ask me. And yes you will be safe there.
  3. itchycat55
    itchycat55
    make sure you follow the pre-op...I kept telling myself it is only 2 wks, I can do this...and I did. I had a very high BMI too, I weighed more than you, too.
    It was great having it done in Mexico, the best decision I have ever made.
  4. Meg82
    Meg82
    My experience was great in Mexico! Any kind of surgery is scary, but this one will completely change your life. I started at 396, so crazy that I was 4 pounds away from weighing 400 lbs. I was only 30 and not enjoying life very much. I had my surgery on December 13th and have lost almost 80 pounds. It's been such a great journey for me. Stay positive, know that there will be challenges, but it will all be worth it!
  5. healedheart
    healedheart
    I would highly recommend that you stick to your pre op diet closely. Someone recently posted that they went, were opened and found out liver was too large. They sent her home unsleeved. If you do the high protein low carb diet it should shrink it enough. I was on a liquid diet for two weeks. 20 carbs or less. I have heard good things about your choice of doctor.
  6. StephF89
    StephF89
    I was 318.8 when I started my 7 day preop diet. 308.8 day of surgery. Today I am 268. I had surgery 2/14 with Dr Almanza and it has been the best decision I ever made for myself. I am doing more with my children, more with my husband, we go to town activities, and do family outings more. It hasn't been the easiest thing ever, as in the beginning I struggled with head hunger vs actual hunger.

Best of luck, you can read my blog posting about my experience there.
    Take care !!
  7. dawnbarnard
    dawnbarnard
    Congrats on your decision. I'm one of the few that has not heard the best things about Dr. Almanza because he runs his patients like a cattle call and does 10-15 surgeries a day. You sit in a waiting room for what seems like hours waiting on your time for surgery. I'm not sure I would like that situation very much. After surgery, you are taken to a "recovery house" and are running back and forth down hallways and wherever else for your IV meds and whatever else you need. I was just a little taken aback by that and ended up going to Dr. Garcia. I had such a good experience there and was treated with such tender care, that I'm glad I made the choice. However, I have heard that Dr. Almanza is good with patients with a higher BMI.So there's always a trade off, you know? If you want tender care, Dr. Almanza may not be the be choice, but if you want a good surgeon, he'd be a comparable choice.

I started this journey out at 343 pounds. I had the surgery 2 weeks ago and I'm down to 323. Not a huge lost but some. Congrats on your decision and keep us posted!

Dawn
  8. fleiniebop1
    fleiniebop1
    Thank you so much for all your support and encouraging words. I am so ready to do this. I have been for many months but all the support has made it the wises decision I have made in a long time.
    dawnbarnard- I actually considered Dr. Garcia but with my very high BMI it lead me to Dr. Almanza. I have heard lots and lots of good things about both for sure. I know that there is a high rate of surgery's being preformed on a daily basis but that makes me more comfortable in my decision as far as Dr. almanza.. I would have to lose over 30 lbs to even be excepted by Dr. Garcia and the surgery would be an extra 500.00. Something I can not afford and If I could lose 30 pounds on my own I would deff do this on my own for sure. I am so glad that you had a successful surgery and 20 lbs!! that is awesome.

stephf69 - Congrats on your success.. I want this so badly I spread my children out so not only do I have a very active 4 year old I have a wonderful 24 year old, and beautiful 19 year old that is due any day with my second grandson.. so excited!!. so I like you want to be able to enjoy my children and my grandchildren and do as you speak of and do so much more then I am doing now. I can not wait!!. I will read your blogs for sure as all and everyone's input and help are continually making it the best decision ever.

healerheart- Thank you.. yes I plan on sticking to the diet. I am req to do so for 10 days but am going to for 14 just to make sure my liver is down. I read the story of the person that they opened and had to close to to the liver being to big. I DO not want that.

Meg82- First off I have to say you look amazing!! I seen your before and after and was actually thinking of contacting you personally as my wt is actually 371 and I seen with us being so close in wt i just wanted your input on what and how things were for you. Thanks so much for responding I myself do not enjoy life very much as I miss out on so much cause either I can't do it or what i want to do is impossible cause of my size and I am so tired of it. you dont even realize how much you miss sitting on the floor with your kids till you can not do it any more as for fear you wont get back up. Thank you for letting me know of your experience.

itcheycat55 - I deff will its what everyone says helps so much even bit of info I can gain to make the pre op better I will take it!!!

hi shannabanna- are you in Florida?? I thank you for your information .. I will take all I can get for sure.

Thanks again everyone if anyone has any pointers to make the pre op go smother I am all ears.
  9. StephF89
    StephF89
    I have 2 kids myself, a 13 year old girl and a 7 year old boy. Lord help me
  10. StephF89
    StephF89
    Oh I got a case of vanilla and a case of chocolate premiere protein shakes from Costco. Then I got a couple cases of strawberry Special K protein shakes from Walmart. I got a 32oz sipper from Walmart too, and a few "MIO" fruit punch water flavor enhancers.
    I did a 32oz sipper of water (sometimes flavored, sometimes not) when I woke up, then a chocolate shake for BF, then plain water and/or flavored water constantly until lunch, then a vanilla shake for lunch, theeeen back to water (flavored or not) until dinner, which then I'd have a strawberry shake for din din, followed by water (with or without flavor) til bedtime. I'd keep a full sipper of ice and water by my bed for throughout the night... I had soup a couple times (cream of chicken or cream of broccoli) and I didn't like SF jello at all (not even post op) work kept me occupied mon-fri 8-5 so it wasn't too hard, but weekends I just upped the water intake. Man.... I went to the restroom A LOT during this period!!! Boss probably thought I was crazy.
  11. fleiniebop1
    fleiniebop1
    lol.. thank you Stephf89 I know it is a mind set but I am ready!! thanks for those tips cause the break down makes so much sense to me.. I will try that. I am doing it for 14 days verses 10 I want to make sure that my liver is down for sure. I opened myself up for one fupa as I forgot to get passport.. ugg I pray I can get it in time..