Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

My Experience in Mexico Sucked!!

1. mrsmichael
    mrsmichael
    I am going to post about my experience here. I arrived in San Diego and waited 40 minutes for the shuttle - it was late. My husband and I were getting sleeved together so we were able to be together every step of the way - we thought. We went from the airport to the Hotel Ticuan where we checked in and paid for the week. Since there were going to be 10 of us the next day 3/11/13 - we were to have the EKG and the blood work done at the hotel. Martin the patient coordinator came to get the paperwork signed and we were going to be one and two of the five people who spent the first night in the hsopital and had the surgery first thing in the morning. The lab people came in - he stuck me 5 times and had to get someone else to do it. The other person stuck me one time and got enough blood to finish the two little tubes. The EKG went off without a hitch. My huaband and I went down to check back out since we would be spending two nights at the hospital. The hotel charged us for the room since we were in it for 4 hours. We found out later they rented the room out after we were out of there - so they made double money on that room for Sunday night.
    Off to the hospital - just like people said, located in a strip center. The three other people had their blood work done and their EKG's done and their IV's started while my husband and I waited in the waiting room for about two hours. I was then taken back, given a gown and shown to a room. Once in a room, the nurse tried to do an IV, noticing all the bruising, he only stuck me once stating that the morning nurse could get me an IV before the surgery in the morning. No IV for me that night. My husband was then shown up to my room with an IV about 30 minutes later. We then went to sleep.
    We were awoken about 500am to meet Dr. Almanza - all 5 of us morning patients. He tolld us what he was going to do, what we should eat for the next couple of weeks, and then asked if we had any questions. He then took before pictures and left. That is the only contact I had with the doctor the entire time I was in Mexico. The surgery's started about 30 minures after that for the day. I was number 3 to go. Lupita came up to start my IV and she was fantastic. She got my vein with no problems and was really good. My turn for surgery and I walked down the stairs to the operating room - got on the table and they knocked me out. After the surgery they must have woken me up in the operating room because I walked back up the stairs and laid in the bed for about an hour. My husband was then done with his surgery. We laid together for about an hour. They then told me I had to go to the women's facility which is down the strip center. So, three of us women went. I laid there the whole rest of the day in terrible pain. I felt like there was no pain management - I was really hurting all day. They were giving me antibiotics and anti-nausea meds and said they were giving me the pain meds but I was in a lot of pain. Finally by the end of the day I couldn't take anymore and I buzzed every five minutes until he gave me something. He said he gave me some - then when I said I didn't feel any different, he finally came clean that he was out of pain meds and had to call over and get some more. So, finally a shot of the good stuff and that was the first relief I had all day.
    Then the day after surgery was no better. I got released early in the morning to go back to the hotel. When I was walking out my husband was walking in - they moved him over to this facility for more observation for Tuesday. At the hotel the nurse came right in and shot me up with antibiotics, anti-nausea, and pain meds. I took a shower and I tried to sleep. I laid in bed as long as I could. I got a call about 300 in the afternoon to go back to the hospital for an IV bag of fluids. When I was leaving the shuttle that was picking all of us up brought my husband back to the hotel. The fluids took a couple of hours and then back to the hotel. When we got back I was asking about pain meds and the nurse told me to take the pills they had given us. So, I have an IV site still in, and I am supposed to be swallowing pills? Ugh! This is one day after surgery. Miserable since it still hurts to swallow anything - much less the antibiotic - and the pain pill.
    The next day we had to go get the x-ray to show that it wasn't leaking - so drinking the gross blue stuff. Then in the afternoon get the drain out and the IV site out. Everything hurt and there was absolutely no pain management. I hated Mexico. All I can do now is pray that the actual surgery part is done right - and I don't know yet to be honest. Stitches should come out tomorrow. I do finally not hurt every second of every day. I am finally able to swallow without it hurting everytime - but I am 9 days out.
    I am sorry to burst everyone's bubble - but mine and my husbands experience were not all sunshine and roses. Our experiences sucked in Mexico. If we had to recommend it - we would not. We would tell people to do it here in the states. Pay the extra money at your local hospital. They will negotiate a cash deal with you - and give you better care than you will receive in Mexico. That is how I feel.
  2. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    Why would you expect to check into a hotel and not get charged for it? Sorry but why check in there at all? As for the IVs and finding a vein - yeah and? That happens in the US of A too trust me. They could never find one on me when I was heavy. The rest of it, the pain etc is part of the surgery. Same as in the US. If they had to separate your husband and you it was with good reason I am sure.

Maybe once you get to feeling better and being a few months post op you will be feeling differently when you have to buy smaller clothes and see the scale going down.

None of your experience sounds out of the ordinary. I felt like crap too and was in pain also. It's major surgery! It took me a good two weeks to not be in some kind of pain or discomfort. 4 months to really get my energy back and not feel light headed when I stood up.

Sorry you feel as though you had a bad experience but check back in a few months from now when the weight starts to fall off. The pain will be forgotten - it was for me anyway. I got there the nite before and had my tests done and spent the nite in the hotel then checked out and spent the nite in the recovery hotel, I only stayed like 5 hours in the clinic. (they paid for the hotel since I flew in early for their convenience since they had a full surgical day and they got me done before the 9 am shuttle from San Diego even showed up)
  3. cpaliz1
    cpaliz1
    WOW! I can't believe you went through all of that. Who the hell wants to be going back and forth when they just had surgery! Sounds crazy! I did have my surgery in Mexico with Dr Quinones on March 2nd and I had an awesome experience but obviously nothing like yours. I had surgery, woke up in the recovery room, then went to my room where I stayed until I went to the hotel. I spent two days in my room at the clinic and two days in my hotel. I also can't believe they ran out of pain meds and then lied about it! Also can't believe you only saw the Dr. one time! I am sooo sooo sooo very thankful that I went with Dr. Quinonez. I was considering Almaza to begin with and changed my mind! Thank God I did! I'm so very sorry to hear you had to go through all that. I'm praying your surgery was a success as well. In the long run hopefully this bad experience won't matter. If anyone has questions about Sergio Quinonez, message me. I'm happy to share....from the sounds of it, I wouldn't go to Almanza. Eeeeek...
  4. Tina Marie
    Tina Marie
    OMG !!! If I hadn't read it myself I would not have believed it. What you experienced was horrific. I had my surgery 8 days ago and it was the opposite of what you experienced. I really hope that the surgery itself was performed correctly. Best of luck to you and your husband. Perhaps you should locate a support group in your area. The group that I attend is awesome and has been with me and will continue to be with me as my journey continues.
  5. Olga1o1
    Olga1o1
    Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience! I would have been quite upset as well, sounds horrible!! I just had surgery three days before you 3/8/13 with Dr. Quinones and it went great. I didn't have to walk anywhere after surgery and was wheeled right up to my bed in a wheel chair and helped into bed. And the nurses waited on me every few minutes with whatever I needed, I slept comfortably and was able to get up every few hours during the day and walk around the hall. And my hotel room was covered part of the surgery price (I stayed comfortably at the clinic for two days after surgery and one other day at the hospital before I had to fly out). I loved my doctor and would do it all over again! I am now 12 days out and feeling great! But than I felt pretty good since the clinic, no problems.
  6. Olga1o1
    Olga1o1
    Oh and with my doctor (Dr. Quinones), I met him several times before the surgery, he spent quite a bit of time taking with me, even joking around, he is very smart and light-hearted. I really had no doubts whats so ever after I talked with him! And he kept checking on us every single day to make sure we were doing great, plus when he wasn't there the nurses still kept us updated on what was going on with all of us. I never felt abandoned by him or the staff.
  7. Godleegirl
    Godleegirl
    Gee it is so different in Australia but boy is it expensive. Hope you're feeling better soon