Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

FLMA question for those having had the sleeve in Mexico

1. Nickijo
    Nickijo
    Did your surgeon fill out you FMLA paper work while you were in Mexico? If so did he suggest you be off 2 weeks after? I am concerned because I really dont want to use all my PTO for this time off.
  2. FirstLady
    FirstLady
    I tried to only Be off for 2 weeks but it didn't work for me. I had them fax my dr the info and they filled it out with no problem.
  3. wini
    wini
    Do u mean it didn't work because of pain or fmla denied if they approved how long did they give you I'm going end of month trying to get disability lined up thanks for any info
  4. MauiMelissa
    MauiMelissa
    Hi Nickijo
    I am right there with ya with turning in forms before my Mexico surgery date of 1/17/13. What I found: My regular PCP agreed to fill out the TDI form. It is one page. TDI is who will pay you for your time off. They did require that I use all of my PTO first and then TDI kicks in, They pay 75-80% of my normal pay. I had to foll out one page, one page to my employer and the last by my MD. It can be completed after you return as well but I was too nervous to leave it that long. I requested leave til 2/4/13.
    FMLA is a federal mandate that allows that your employer cannot give your job away for the time period you designate needing the leave for. It does not pay you. When I filled out the FMLA form with my employer, it took 5 minutes and they put the copy in my file. They do not even have to send it in to anyone., It is really just there to say that you are eligible for the leave. Federal guidelines say that if you are full time over a year that you are qualified for up to 12 weeks/year medical leave for you or your family member.
    My surgery company did say Dr. Lopez would fill out the form but again, my PCP agreed so I went that way. Hope this helps! Melissa
  5. wini
    wini
    I know who will pay but wondering what the standard amount of time off if there is such a thing
  6. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    I sent all my info via email to my Doctor before hand pertaining to FMLA and yes we got it all filled out and was able to use my sick time for the surgery for 3 weeks.
  7. Nickijo
    Nickijo
    Enfury8me your surgeons office in Mexico filled it out for you?

My employer requires us to fill out FMLA paperwork whenever we know we will be out and need to use our sick pay. We have to use 2 days of PTO and the rest can be sick pay @100% for 8 days after that sick pay cover 75% of wage and the rest can be covered by PTO or no pay if you don't have PTO. Id love to be able to get the paper work filled out before surgery if possible my PCP isn't thrilled with my choice to have surgery in Mexico he worries about the possible complications, so I really don’t want him to fill it out unless for some reason I return and need either more or less recovery time.
  8. vegasgirl
    vegasgirl
    I requested three weeks with Dr. Alvarez and that is what he suggested. I had no problem at work and was paid 100% for the two weeks and had to use one week PTO.
  9. goodwillgirl51
    goodwillgirl51
    my question is can my company i work for refuse the FMLA because it is from a doctor in mexico???
  10. Fawn1120
    Fawn1120
    I am struggling with my desire to keep it a secret or get more time off from work! I want both, but I can't have my cake and eat it too! I will discuss options with HR and see what options I might have
  11. Fawn1120
    Fawn1120
    Goodwill girl,
    Spoke with my HR person today. She said if you have a medical who says it is your treatment plan to be off work, according to FMLA, your employer needs to honor it, no matter if he's in Mexico or where ever.

Linda
  12. Fawn1120
    Fawn1120
    Update: HR contacted me and said that I can get FMLA without pay for recovery time. So there goes my vacation days!