Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Should you let your primary care doctor know of Mexico plans?

1. leahmj88
    leahmj88
    I am getting the sleeve done march 22nd in mexico. if anything went wrong after I came back or if I needed to be prescribed pain meds/naseua that I would have to visit my primary care doctor. I didn't want to let her know because she might try to talk me out of it because its in Mexico. Should I tell her just in case? your thoughts please.
  2. Joanne1958
    Joanne1958
    I wasn't going to tell my doctor either and then I thought I'm going to need his support when I come home! I needed him to take out my stitches and monitor my blood work, so I did tell him and he did not try to talk me out of it at all. He told me he would do as much research on the sleeve as he could to answer any questions I have and if he didn't know he would call in one of his surgeon friends! I was so glad I told him, it's up to you but I would recommend you tell her your plans. Best of Luck!!
  3. slapperuski
    slapperuski
    Why would you not? At some point in the future, you may need Dr. care and he/she should be aware of all your medical history. Totally makes sense to make your physician aware of any needs you may have in the future.
  4. KarenVipVa
    KarenVipVa
    I just went to my primary care doctor last week and told him what i was thinking of doing. He first asked why I chose to go to mexico when I told him my insurance wouldnt cover me here in US. He said pick my doctor or doctors and let him know and he will check them out too and also make sure I am in the best health I can be in for the surgery. I was so happy and so glad he was so supportive. I haven't scheduled with anyone yet. So dont be scared to tell them if they care about you they will support your decision. if not i would find another primary care person. good luck!!
  5. Ms.lovely65
    Ms.lovely65
    yes, most definitely. You need to make sure you have post op care. I'm recuperating now from mommy makeover plastic surge ry. Don't know what I'd do without my pcp. Good luck
  6. Olga1o1
    Olga1o1
    Sounds like you all have really great doctors! That's really awesome!! I unfortunately have Group Health (A.K.A. Group Death) and they are known for denying people for any reason at all, being cheap and cutting corners, so something like this would pretty much guarantee me no coverage. So I am having to keep quiet about this unless I end up actually needing help. ..And to be honest this is something that really conserns me, because I DO wish I had a doctor and a plan that I could be open and honest with. My last doctor I had on a different plan I would have told him about it, and he WOULD have been supportive. A couple years ago I actually started the WLS process with him and though he was surprised he though this surgery is a good decision for me and had no problem writing up referrals for me!
  7. AngelNP
    AngelNP
    My PCP was very supportive and thought it was a great idea. She had a friend had a butt life in Mexico. LOL She knows I have been struggling with weight the past several years.
  8. laserskingirl
    laserskingirl
    Unless your doctor is your parents, I see no reason not to tell. It is your body and as long as you are going to a reputable dr in Mexico with a good track record, they should be offering support. The only time a dr should frown on it is if you are not a candidate for this surgery for whatever reason. This is nothing to be ashamed of, I am going to be sleeved in March 22, 2013 with Dr Garcia and cannot wait and sharing my news with everyone including my dr so I can have positive support from everyone... Especially my primary care dr!! These drs in Mexico for the most part are world class and we should be proud to use them... American drs may frown on it because they have to charge so much in the USA or the frustration of dealing with insurance and hate to loose the business elsewhere and many drs who are not in bariatrics are probably unaware of what big good business it is to go to Mexico for this surgery and are just concerned with the unknown of another country ... Yes tell your dr, be proud of yourself for such a huge step and let them know you appreciate their being their for you.... Otherwise, if they make you feel guilty or ashamed, find a new dr to support you!!
  9. ItCldBeSweet
    ItCldBeSweet
    I have not told my Dr. yet. I have an appt with my primary on 3/18/13 which is 9 days before I am scheduled for surgery. I suppose I will tell her then. I will need my Dr.s support when I come home. I just hope she is supportive of my decision & does not try to talk me out of it! (Because she won't)
  10. dbarnes7
    dbarnes7
    My PCP knew I had been trying for 2 years to get my insurance to cover the procedure and was denied 4 times and I lost all of my appeals. My PCP, my cardiologist, knee surgeon and sleep doctor were all 100% behind me in getting the surgery and were angry with the insurance industry for not allowing it. The only doctor that wasnt behind me was the stomach doctor that was going to do the surgery if the insurance was going to pay for it.
    But anyway, to answer your question, yes, tell your doctor. He needs to know of you having a surgery like this. Mine was 9 weeks or so ago and I havent been to my PCP yet. The stitches are the kind that dissolved so I didnt have to have them removed, the nausea is over with in a day or 2 and I had no pain so no need for pain medication.
    If your doctor give you a hard time over you trying to better yourself, then he is not a very good doctor, he should support you in your decision and efforts to improve your health in a lasting way that will make a huge difference in your quality of life.
  11. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    My PCP has been more than supportive!! He didn't try to talk me out of it, he just said choose my surgeon wisely and that's what I did. He is doing my blood work and everything now! Please tell your PCP!!
  12. WyomingDiva
    WyomingDiva
    I wasn't going to tell my PCP either, but my daughter absolutely threw a fit, so I made an appointment and just walked in there and told him what I was doing (no asking permission) and then asked if he was willing to do my after care. After a few questions, he said 'yes' with no arguing or static.

So, I would say - take a chance. I think my attitude helped, though. I was not asking permission and I was respectful when I asked him if he was willing to be part of the journey.
  13. Fireman0750
    Fireman0750
    I needed a letter from my Dr. which he had no problem doing. I talked to him about it the last time I was in. Since my wife has lost over 70# in 6 mo so far he was very curious about it. When I told him I was thinking about it he encouraged me and wants to follow my progress and has thought about it himself.
  14. imtad
    imtad
    Oh my, I never even thought about this part. I leave for Mx early tomorrow morning with surgery scheduled for Tuesday. It never dawned on me to talk to my PCP. Gee, I guess I better do that when I get home for TJ. oopppps. I figured I would just remove the stitches myself. Ignorance is bliss and I love bliss...just kidding but really can't you take your own stitches out?
  15. Rdoactv
    Rdoactv
    My pcp is supportive. She knows what I went thru to try to have the surgery here in the states. She had just become my doc when I had a stroke at 37 from uncontrolled BP.