Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New to the group, some questions....

1. bkunetka
    bkunetka
    I was sleeved on 12/29. I was 'diagnosed' with PCOS in 2006 after having a lot of trouble conceiving. I hadn't had a period since around October 2010, so I wasn't expecting to get one really quickly after the surgery. My doctor only said that I 'might start getting them somewhere down the road' after surgery. Instead I have been spotting on and off for all of January until this past Monday when I got hit hard. Still going here on day 7. Honestly, it has hurt more than my surgery, so I went to see my normal doctor and he decided I was having a miscarriage. Um...I don't think so! lol At this point I've had to take even more time off work because this has been pretty much stuck in bed even when taking pain killers.
    So my question is did anyone else have this kind of experience with their first period after surgery?
    My doctor told me that if it doesn't starting clearing up in another day or two to head to the ER, but seriously, what could they do? This whole thing has me super worried that something else is wrong, but at the same time, you go so long without a period you expect it to hit you pretty hard, right?!

Brittany
  2. Hollylouya
    Hollylouya
    Oh no! I didn't have that experience, because my birth control pill has been regulating my PCOS and my period for years. Are you on the pill?
    I had the surgery in part to improve my odds at getting pregnant with weight loss and my doctor has been ADAMANT that I not even THINK about trying for a full year after the surgery. He said you can have a healthy pregnancy but it will just negate the effects of the sleeve and weight loss.
    Anyway, you know your body better than anyone else. If you feel weird, seriously weird, go to the ER. If something bad is happening, they could fix it. If nothing else, they could give you peace of mind.
    Feel better soon.
  3. Veronica_Lennon
    Veronica_Lennon
    I would go to ER ASAP! They can do an ultrasound and other tests. You need to se an OB. Don't wait because if something is wrong it should be looked at right away. Best of luck and you will be in my prayers.
  4. Persiankity33
    Persiankity33
    I Don't think it was a miscarriage. I have couple years ago I had gone a few months without one and then finally gotten a period. It was awful and last 10 HEAVY days....u have to remember the lining of ur uterus thickens every month and ur period sheads the lining for the new egg being released. If u haven't had a period in a long time then ur lining is going to be super thick and ur body is going to work hard "cramp" to shead the lining so it's clear. They sent me to the ER as well because of a scare of hemoraging, which I wasnt....the ER told me unless I was filling up a pad within 1-2 hrs then I should be worried. I think ur situation is ur body just clearing out! Keep us updated
  5. mimikah
    mimikah
    I agree with persiankitty, plus having surgery makes one get an early period
  6. bkunetka
    bkunetka
    Thanks for all the replies. No I am not taking nor have I ever taken birth control. That's just something I've always been against. Everything finally subsided today. I never thought it was a miscarriage, I've had one before and it wasn't like that. I am positive now it was just my body catching up with shedding the lining after so long. I just hope the next time is not so bad! lol I can't afford to miss a week of work every month when it hits! I never even thought about how this surgery could improve my chances of having a child down the road. I definitely don't want/need one now even if I hadn't just had surgery! My doctor did reccommend a minimum of 18 months before trying, but I'm still pretty young so I'm planning on waiting longer than that. Anyways thanks for the advice ladies! Today has been much better and I'm ready to head back to work on Wednesday!
  7. ChrissyD
    ChrissyD
    I had my Surgery on the 24th of Jan and on the 2nd of Feb I was HIT and Hit HARD. I did not have the pain (sorry you did) but i think my last one was around Sept but I have spotting just like you talked about since Nov. mine has also started to slow THank the Lord. I think you are right about the catching up that was my thought. Praying for both of us it is better next time. I really wish my doctor would have just taken out my baby factory during my surgery. I am done haing kids. I pray God blesses you with Healthly Happy Babies I thank God everyday for mine after 5 years of doctors trying. Best of Luck to you.
  8. A_deshotel
    A_deshotel
    Just as someone above me said- if u haven't had a period in a long time then that's normal for your period to be horrendous. The lining of your uterus has endometrial tissue which thickens until it is shed. The shedding is your period. So if you don't have a period in a long time, the lining is super thick. You may even see what looks like clots but don't freak out, it's just tissue you are losing which is also normal. You don't just lose blood, you lose tissue too. The hellacious cramps are muscle contractions forcing the endometrial tissue out of the uterus. I go through this cycle about once every 4 months or so cause that's when I get my periods. I'm not on BC pills. The flow is so heavy I have to wear a pad and super plus tampon and change it frequently. It lasts about 8-10 days then clears up. And I do have spotting in between those 4 months. All part of having pcos. Thanks Mother Nature-You're a bitch! Lol