Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Sleeved Yesterday at Mi Doctor

1. icon23
    icon23
    I had my surgery yesterday around noon at Mi Doctor with Dr. Elias Ortiz. Dr. Ortiz is awesome! Seriously, I know a lot of people prefer to choose Dr. Lopez instead of Ortiz because Lopez has more experience, but Ortiz has quite a lot of experience himself and Lopez taught him. If you're still deciding on a doctor and especially if you're using ALM, I highly recommend Elias Ortiz (not to be confused with Alejandro). If your surgery is during a time that Dr. Lopez is in TJ, he will assist Dr. Ortiz so you would have both of them anyway and even if Dr. Lopez isn't in town, Dr. Ortiz is very competent and capable. Plus, you save $200 ($250?) by going with Ortiz--that was not my reason for choosing Ortiz, but it is a nice bonus. Before surgery when Dr. Ortiz came to talk to me, he gave me a lot of information, so I didn't have many questions for him. He did mention that I would be allowed to have all the ice chips I wanted after surgery, which surprised me because I thought that absolutely no liquids were allowed and that I would be dying from dry mouth. I did ask him whether it would be possible to know how much the removed part of my stomach weighed and he said that he would actually show it to me after surgery, which he did (but I was still groggy from the anesthesia, so it was a little blurry, but that's probably better, lol).

In the OR, a nurse helped the anesthesiologist get me ready for the anesthesia. I have to say, even after they got my hospital gown ready to be removed for surgery (had to get the gown over the IV bags to be able to be completely removed), they left me covered up since I didn't have to be naked for their purposes. It was nice to be completely covered when I went to sleep and when I woke up--nice to keep some dignity. When I woke up, it didn't seem like any time had passed, so I was surprised when they told me the surgery was over. I was also surprised because I wasn't in a lot of pain. As I became more awake and alert, I did feel some pain--nothing terrible, but enough to ask for something--so a nurse came and gave me something in the IV. Somewhere around there is when Dr. Ortiz showed me my stomach. It didn't seem like it took me very long to feel awake and alert, but they kept me in the recovery room for about 2 hours. I had already been advised by another sleever to get up and start walking as soon as possible after surgery because, in addition to all of the other reasons you probably already know (get the surgery gas out, prevent blood clots), it helps the anesthesia to wear off and you want to do that as soon as possible because the anesthesia can make you nauseous and/or vomit if it's in your system too long. I think they might have kept me in recovery a little too long because even though I got up and started walking as soon as they brought me to my room, I did start to get nauseous after walking back and forth in the hallway about 15 times. I went to the bathroom to vomit, but every time I bent over, the nausea went away. Since I only felt it when I stood up, I decided to lay down then and I've felt much better since then. I can't remember if they gave me an IV injection for nausea right then (because I did tell the nurses how I felt), but they definitely did few hours later, according to schedule. They also gave me another injection for pain at that time, but I didn't necessarily need it. I've gone through lots of ice chips and done quite a bit of walking since then.

Around 8:30 last night, Dr. Ortiz came to check on me and he reiterated what he had told me earlier about the order that things would go today--swallow test with blue liquid, x-ray with white liquid, waiting on lab results, then released to have fluids--then he told me about how the surgery went. He said the surgery itself was about 1 hour and 20 minutes, but it was about 2 hours total in the OR including being put to sleep and waking up. He asked me if I remembered seeing my stomach and commented that I was awake and alert faster than most patients. He said that I am doing really well overall and based on my vitals and the appearance of my drain and all of my behaviors since surgery, including being vigilant about walking, he does not anticipate any problems or complications. He told me what will happen over the next few days, including when he will come to my hotel room to remove the drain, and asked if I had questions.

The leak tests went fine today and I have been having clear liquids with no trouble. Tomorrow I will return to the Marriott for 2 nights then fly home on Monday. I would definitely recommend this surgery (and my surgeon) to anyone who is considering it seriously.
  2. KarenVipVa
    KarenVipVa
    Congratulations!!! Sounds like you had a great experience. I am looking forward to my surgery. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and I hope you have continuted success!!
  3. bergamini
    bergamini
    Great job! I have heard good things about this Dr. Ortiz. Enjoy your time at the Marriott, the hotel is lovely and I found the chicken broth to be delicious. Sounds like you are flying through all the challenges and that's wonderful. Thanks for posting!
  4. MamaDupa
    MamaDupa
    This is exactly why I was so happy with Dr. Ortiz on the 27th of December! He IS awesome and the entire staff makes you feel comfortable. Abraham and Eduaro are a hoot and will help you with anything. Ask for the apple juice, it is delish! Best of luck to you. I am just coming out of the 3rd week stall. Lasted exactly 1 week. Started my 4th week and down 16 lbs in 22 days. Everyone in our group HATED the chicken broth at the Marriott, really gross and the popsicles are not what we are used to they are home made and only one of the flavors (orange) is good. If you go with Abraham to the Mexican restaurant after your shopping, the broth there is awesome and everyone loved it!
  5. Cheri
    Cheri
    I am feeling better and better about my choices! Can't wait until it's me!
  6. Miss Jay
    Miss Jay
    Wishing you a speedy recovery, Congrats on your new journey..........Miss Jay
  7. Fawn1120
    Fawn1120
    Thanks for sharing your story Icon23! I am seriously thinking about Dr Ortiz or Dr Lopez. Your story gives me total confidence in either surgeon! The closer I get to actually picking a surgeon, thinking about what happens, I start getting nervous. But your person story really helps.

Thanks for sharing!
  8. leo39
    leo39
    I'm going to Mi Doctor Hospital on March 4th with Drs Lousiana and Cabrera. I'm very hopeful that my experience is as good as yours - the hospital certainly seems to get good reviews as does the Mariott.
    Did you find out beforehand what anaesthetic and anti-nauseants are given? I'm hoping I can get specific ones that really helped me have a good response to surgeries I had to have in 2011. Sounds crazy but certain ones, I react badly to.
    Also with gas pain from the CO2, if you have someone who can rub your shoulders you can actually feel the gas rise up from your shoulders and neck. (they can feel the heat rising too!) And, I've learned along the way to ask (beg) them to push the gas out as much as they can before they stitch you up! I know that won't help those who've already had the surgery but maybe others might find that helpful?