Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

What clothes to pack?

1. suelala
    suelala
    If there is already a checklist or something I haven't seen - another forum post - please direct me to it.

I am having surgery on Friday and just realized I don't know what clothes to bring with me. What do you suggest?

Will I be wearing a hospital gown most of the time?

I'm thinking I need to bring some loose-fitting clothes, to accommodate my tender stomach. I'm trying to pack as lightly as possible because I know how I am after surgery. The less headache, the better, and that means only taking what I really need.

Any suggestions are appreciated. My husband is traveling with me, FYI.
  2. suelala
    suelala
    Also, I've been thinking about joining the Facebook group, but I won't be able to add anyone as a friend or anything. For one, I barely use Facebook anymore because I have a LOT of nosy friends and family. None of them know about my surgery. I will tell them about it long after the fact. I can't take a chance of any new weight-loss-buddy Facebook friends saying something about my surgery on my wall. It's not worth the drama it would add to my life.
  3. bubbalove1
    bubbalove1
    Just got back. I wore sweats and a t-shirt on the flight down and back. Took pajama pants and t-shirt for day 2. Clean underwear and socks for everyday and had more than enough. Also packed Gas-X strips.
  4. vmb
    vmb
    Hi Suelala,
    Yes, you will have a hospital gown. I saw posts to bring your own PJs for after surgery. I would pack light you won't need much. I hear we need to bring Gas X and Biotine Breath Spray. I am having surgery on Thursday so I will be there too! I am putting bottles of water in my suitcase about 4 of them. That way I won' thave to drink the tap water there. I am checking my suitcase. You can't do that if you are carrying your suitcase on the plane. My spouse is traveling with me too. See you there!
  5. suelala
    suelala
    This is all great info. Thank you! Honestly, I haven't done much to prepare / research because I don't have time. I'm on the pre-op diet but that's about all, so I'm sort of clueless. I hadn't even thought about the water. I really don't want to check a bag. Is there a way to buy bottles of water after you get there?
  6. DragonsLoard
    suelala I was sleeved on Jan 12th. You don't have to worry about bottled water at the hotel or the Santa Fe they will supply you with all you need. The only person you'll need to add is India on FaceBook so she can add you to the group... I am like you no one on my FB page knows about my surgery... Good Luck!!
  7. suelala
    suelala
    @DragonsLoard - thank you! I hope to be a member of the FB group soon. Sent India a request and told her who I was here on the forum.
  8. slim_again
    slim_again
    You make a good point about facebook friends commenting about your sleeve on your fb. I have befriended some people, I hope they are smart enough to keep personal health issues, well personal. It's always fine to say you look great but I'd never post on someone's page about their sleeve.

No one knows about my sleeve except my OH, no one ever will know about it either as far as I can help it.
  9. slim_again
    slim_again
    You make a good point about facebook friends commenting about your sleeve on your fb. I have befriended some people, I hope they are smart enough to keep personal health issues, well personal. It's always fine to say you look great but I'd never post on someone's page about their sleeve.

No one knows about my sleeve except my OH, no one ever will know about it either as far as I can help it.
  10. suelala
    suelala
    I keep a lot of things private as a result of what I do for a living (it's not illegal or anything - just something requiring utmost confidentiality) and that means being very careful about what I share online, and where. And most of the time, secrets get out because someone innocently shared something. I realize they don't mean it maliciously, and they usually feel horrible when they realize they've mindlessly overshared, but for me, the after-the-fact "I'm sorry" won't undo the damage. It's still out there and I can't take it back, you know?

But I do hope to join the group! Added India as a friend... still need to get the group invite...
  11. Smitlien
    Smitlien
    Hi I had surgery the 17th here is what I packed for my stay. Pajamas, slippers, underwear, sport bra is much more comfortable after surgery, 1 of the stitches is right under your boobs so I think a normal bra will not work so well. The time you stay in hospital you wear a gown with your pajama pants underneath. Gass x strips, mouthwash helps for when your mouth feels dry, chapstick, then you can pack 3 pair of loose fitting clothes like sweatpants and tshirts they work the best! I did pack my towels but you won't need them at the hospital they have clean towels for you and at the hotel. Then don't worry about water they do provide bottled water. Also great tip when your at the hotel real del rio on the 4th floor there is a ice machine where you can get Ice to eat, I ate a lot of ice!
  12. suelala
    suelala
    I can't thank you guys enough for all this info. I'm about to head out for some supplies right now.
  13. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Did I SEND you a copy of Getting Started? It gives suggestions, what to pack etc. If not here it is for packing
    Proof of US Citizenship
    Passport Card, Passport Book, Enhanced Driver’s License, and Government issued Identification Card and Birth Certificate
    Clothing
    (1) Return outfit ex. Dress, or Two-piece Top and Bottom which is lose fit and comfortable
    (1) Pajamas
    (2) Ladies - Sports bra or other comfortable bra
    (4) Under bottoms (Boxers, Briefs, Panties)
    (4) Socks especially starting in December as weather gets extremely cold for us
    *Optional Sandals, House Slippers, but with socks you won’t need
    Hygiene
    (1) Deodorant
    (1) Bar Soap or Body Wash
    (1) Skin Moisturizer ex. Lotion, Vaseline, Baby Oil Gel or Baby Oil, Body Oil, etc.
    (1) Facial Towel
    (1) Body Towel – Towels are provided at facility but you can bring your own
    (1) Toothbrush/ Toothpaste – Due to surgery some people can gag while brushing teeth

Other
    (1) Minimum of $100.00 this will cover cost for Medicine, Tips if applicable, if you want to site see you will need to have more cash on hand. In Tijuana USD currency can be used in combination with Pesos, you will not need to have currency exchanged. If you have a guest you will need cost for food, which varies depending on location dining.
    (1) Electronic Device which can receive Wi-Fi signal as the facility does offer free Wi-Fi.

Questions about what to bring
    On the forum you may have read some people suggest bringing Gas-X strips, should I bring them?
    Gas-X is to help you relive gas; we all will have gas based upon the procedure which was performed and pumping gas in our stomach. The truth is gas is only released either through belching or through farting. It is rather discomforting when you do belch due to you are using your diaphragm and you just had major surgery there. Gas-X is to relive the symptoms of gas, where in your case you do not want to relieve the symptoms you want to get rid of the gas. I suggest before having your surgery it is highly recommended you take an oral laxative it triggers rhythmic contractions of intestinal muscles to eliminate what is in the intestines, which for us all is gas. It is better to get rid of the issue than to treat it with a Band-Aid. It is up to you if you would like to purchase the Gas-X. I took an oral laxative before surgery and my gas lasted for only 4 days.
    What about safety pins?
    You do not need a safety pin to hold your drain in place. You will not need to pack these. The drain is not even noticeable enough to be in your way to pin it anywhere.
    Should I bring Gauze?
    There is no reason a patient would need to bring gauze for their bandages. Before you leave the nurses do check your bandages to ensure they are fresh and not needing to be changed. If you would like to bring gauze you can but there is no need to have gauze.
    Items to purchase before surgery for when you are in Pre-Op
    I didn’t know what I needed post-surgery for my aftercare and these are the items I found myself needing to go purchase over the first few weeks.
     Multivitamins *Refer to Post-Op Diet
     Calcium *Refer to Post-Op Diet
     Protein Shakes *Refer to Post-Op Diet
     Sugar Free Drinks *Refer to Post-Op Diet
     Ointments or Creams
     Bandages and Gauze
     Soups *Refer to Post-Op Diet
     Bottled Water
     Optional Gas-X
     Optional OTC Pain Relievers
  14. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I will be updating this list due to some items are now available at the facility that you will not need like towels and soap
  15. judy79
    judy79
    You can friend someone, let them add you to the group, then unfriend them off your regular friends list.
  16. suelala
    suelala
    Re: Facebook - I'm in the group now, added india as a friend and she added me to the group. I'm Suzanne Myers Hartman.

Re: India - when you say to take the oral laxative before surgery, how long before surgery? My surgery is tomorrow afternoon. Should I take one now? I am familiar with laparascopic surgery, having had my gallbladder removed that way... dealing with the uncomfortable gas. The first day was especially painful. I'd like to eliminate as much of that as possible.
  17. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Also we began to start to provide the following...
    hand soap
    hand towel
    bath towel
    bath soap bar
    wash rag
    body towel
    tooth paste and brush if needed
  18. lindmar
    lindmar
    I also brought flip flops for the shower & bathroom. I ended up using them instead of slippers because for some reason my feet were hot