Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Recap of my surgery

1. lindmar
    lindmar
    Hi All! Well I got back home on Saturday and am feeling really good! Sleepy but good. I promised a re-cap, but it's all a bit of a blur, so will try my best...

Day 1 - First of all, my daughter in law Hannah BEGGED to go with me, so I bought her a plane ticket and off we went (tickets are pretty cheap from Seattle). I was really glad to have Hannah - she waited on me and it was nice to have a buddy to talk to over the few days. We were picked up by Eddy at about 10 am and he entertained us the whole way to the hospital btw His wife just had the sleeve done with Dr. Q and Eddy is on the schedule too. I think that's a pretty good endorsement!!!

Got the clinic and they don't mess around. Blood work, blood pressure, horrid hospital garment, and pressure wrapped my legs. I have to admit...it was about this point I started to question myself...WHAT am I doing here???? Then we had to wait awhile for the doc to get to the clinic because (of all things) he was meeting with the Mexican IRS. They take retina scans & fingerprints from all the taxpayers. Yikes! But I digress. So many of you have raved about how nice everyone is and you are absolutely right! Dr. Q came and talked with me and put my mind at ease. He is very confident (not arrogant) and answered all my questions. Oh and I forgot to say that Henry has a new assistant named Dulce. She speaks excellent English and was there to cater to our every need.

I had the surgery at about 2:30 and back to the room about 4. I didn't truly wake up from anesthesia until 9:30. Hannah said I kept asking the same questions over and over and saying some pretty loopy things. When I finally woke up though I felt pretty good. My advice, keep the pain meds coming to head any pain off before it gets hold of you. Then slept all night.

Day 2 - Was up walking, then down sleeping, repeat pattern endlessly. In the afternoon Dr. Q came to see me and gave me the run down of the surgery. He said it all went smoothly and no problems. I DO however, had a VERY large liver, so thank heavens I stuck to the pre-op diet pretty well or who knows what he would have been faced with! As far as gas pains, I really haven't had any. I'm a very lucky girl!!!

The best part of day 2 for me was meeting Smitlien and Casey when they arrived at the hospital. They are both so nice! By Day 3 we were wearing out the hallway by walking laps. Another piece of advice...try to line up a surgery buddy if you can. It was so nice to have friends going through the same thing

Day 3 - Got my IV out (thank God) and my drain - no problem with either. My incisions are tiny and look good too. So then about 2 Dulce drove us to the hotel. Hannah and I were both pretty tired so we spent the rest of the day napping, watching TV and ordering room service. Yes, I got chicken broth thru room service and it was SO nummy.

Day 4 - Back to the airport with Eddy and 2 Canadian girls who were down for plastic surgery. I'm so thankful for the medical lane at the border. We literally passed thousands of cars...it was one big traffic jam for the regular folks. We did, however, get picked for a random inspection. Eddy said this was only the 2nd time in 3 years that has happened to him. They checked our passports (in my case, my enhanced drivers license) and pawed thru my suitcase. I was really glad I repacked at the hotel because it was a mess. Anyway the border didn't hold us up for too long. I don't know what would have happened if we were trying to cross with just a birth certificate and drivers license.

All in all it was and excellent experience! I'm so glad it's over and I'm back home. I want to say thanks to Dr. Q, Dr. Basca, Henry, Dulce, India, Aldo, Alma, Anna and Sylvia. They were all so nice and I felt very well taken care of.
  2. Irmice
    Irmice
    Im so glad you had a positive experience. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
  3. ItCldBeSweet
    ItCldBeSweet
    Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps a whole lot! I am so happy for you that things went so well! I am hoping to have my sleeve done in March....& I am sooo ready! Congratts to you & it must be so awesome to be on the losers bench!
  4. Olga1o1
    Olga1o1
    Congratulations!! And thank you for sharing your experience! This really helps all of us weighting on the bench for our upcoming dates!
  5. lindmar
    lindmar
    Thanks! I should also say that while I have had a very easy time of it, some people don't tolerate anesthesia or medication very well. So there is a good chance of nausea and/or vomiting. But will pass and the surgery still very worth while.
  6. kallima_butterfly
    kallima_butterfly
    im so nervous that i picked the right doctor so thank you for your post...it helped alot
  7. slim_again
    slim_again
    I'm just waiting to go to the hotel, feel exponentially better than the first day, it was just the gas that hurt but my room mate told me to take huge big deep breaths as much air as I could get in and it worked. Not much gas pain today-chest feels better! I dark the dye, no leaks so far. Just waiting on the doc. I've asked Henry for a copy of the video. He said he'll get it off to me along with translated medical records. Dr Q is be far THE best. I would do it again in a heart beat.
    Thanks for your synopsis, I echo all of your sincere good words.
  8. lindmar
    lindmar
    Slim - Congratulations!!!
  9. DragonsLoard
    Congrats Slim... I'll say it again, I am SO HAPPY I had Dr. Quinones do my surgery!!!! Today is day 9 post-op and I am doing great. Back to work today and I felt fine. PLUS I'm down 12lbs in 8 days.
  10. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    I knew you all would love Dr. Q!!! He was the best of the best!!!!!!
  11. vmb
    vmb
    Thanks for sharing it really puts our minds at ease those of us waiting in line I go in two weeks. Do you have any last minute advice for me?
  12. lindmar
    lindmar
    Hi vmb - Advice....hmmm. Be sure to take chapstick, flipflops for the shower, and loose shorts or capris or jammies for UNDER you hospital gown. After surgery I put those on plus my sports bra because I didn't want to walk around floppy if you know what I mean If you are able, a little extra cash for tips for the staff. That was fun! Oh and also take pictures!
  13. Eleanorrose
    Eleanorrose
    Thanks for all of the advice and information. It helps me feel so much better. I go on March 8th, two other people are suppose to be going as well.

He will be doing 3 sleeves on March 8th. I feel comfortable with that number of patients.

All the best,
    Eleanor Rose