Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Dr. Almanza

1. Joanne1958
    Joanne1958
    If anyone is thinking about going to Dr. Almanza's clinic plz contact me first.
  2. vmb
    vmb
    Hi, I have an appointment at the end of January.
  3. cassandra
    cassandra
    I was going to him but had a change of Heart...so Wat happen.
  4. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    He was the first doctor that I looked into... and the first doctor I ruled out.
  5. DragonsLoard
    Just like Texas Girl, he was the first one I looked into but as I read more and more about him I quickly realized that he was not the surgeon for me...
  6. Joanne1958
    Joanne1958
    Good decisions ladies am glad to hear that you make the right choice!
  7. vegasgirl
    vegasgirl
    I went to Dr. Alvarez and I'm so glad I made that decision. It was more money the others in mexico and it was worth every penny. I had an amazing experience with him and his staff. I would highly recomend him.:
  8. Selah117
    Selah117
    I heard good things from a lot of people that went to Dr. Almanza, but I also read bad things and heard some bad things about the clinic from another medical professional (not a doctor) in the same area where he works. There's a gal on Facebook who used this doctor and she had serious complications. Sometimes that can happen, but what should NEVER happen is that the Dr and medical staff wouldn't return her phone calls during this scary time. That made me change my decision on what doctor to use. I also heard that there were people waiting outside in the street with their IV's hooked up, obviously post-op since there wasn't enough room in the clinic. That is just a bad sign. I would rather pay a little more for a different doctor and clinic. It seems that the clinic used is like a WLS mill and I didn't want to be just another number. Be smart. Do your research and do it well and be thorough.
  9. mydecision
    mydecision
    I went on the 21st I enjoyed being around other people instead of being in a room by myself for hours. I would go back again I had a wonderful experience. Yes I had pain but who doesn't after surgery. It's been 4 1/2 days and I feel pretty good. I've lost 6 pounds since surgery and I met several wonderful women.
  10. Phranquie
    Phranquie
    I went to Dr. Almanza on 8/8/12 for my VSG. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the surgery, medical care or my recovery. I had excellent medical attention and unlike a lot of pople I know I have had never had any vomiting, acid reflux or strictures or pain beyond the first couple of days after surgery. I never took pain meds after the second day post op. The staff was courteous, competent and friendly at the clinic and at the recovery house. I specifically chose Dr. Almanza because of the number of surgeries he has performed, not because of the price. I am a professional person and aware of what good medical care is and I feel that while the system is different than in the US that the overall care I received with Dr. Almanza was excellent.

I travelled alone to have surgery and stayed at the recovery house which is like a college dorm with several beds in a room and with shared bathrooms. This might not be for some people and before I got there I thought I might want to be alone in the hotel. But once I got settled in I was glad I was there as there was company from people who had just had the surgery two days before and they were friendly and helpful as was the staff. My every need was taken care of at the recovery house by the nursing staff. I felt well enough to go on a little shopping excursion to downtown Tijuana two days after my surgery.

All in all I would do it again in a heartbeat. Since 8/8/12 I have lost 98lbs with no complications at all.
  11. Joanne1958
    Joanne1958
    It is a personal choice and would not tell anyone who or who not to go to, but my story is alittle different than all the rosey everything was perfect stories that I heard when choosing a doctor. We were not offered a shopping excursion even asked to be taken shopping and was told to go to the pharmacy across the street from hotel. That was just one of many things that was different from others stories. Just think if people want to hear others experiences they should have that opprotunity. I do not regret having the surgery either I am 9 days out and have lost 20 lbs and do not have to take insulin anymore so did it strickly for health reasons.
    Selah I think you made a great decision that works for you! Wishing you all the best and congrats Phranquie on your 98lb loss that is awesome!!
  12. Dyanne4293
    Dyanne4293
    I had my surgery done by Almanza July 17. I found his staff to be professional and knowledgeable. I was Type 2 diabetic and they gave me more antibiotics as a precaution so I didn't get an infection. I took my boyfriend. My biggest complaint would be that they wouldn't let him stay with me until my surgery and didn't let him see me afterwards. However, we stayed at the Hotel Tucuan after surgery and had good service there. They clinic took good care of me post-op. I didn't have any complications. There was a man in my group who did. I blame his complications on his being a heavy smoker and drinker. I started out at 198 lbs. I've lost 55 lbs and have 20 lbs to go. I had my surgery to get rid of Type 2 diabetes. I (much like Joanne1958) have not had to take insulin since my surgery! I would do it again. I have had several emails from Dr. Almanza's clinic checking on my progress.
    I walked and shopped every day after my surgery, mostly because I was told that walking would help with gas and gas pain. AND - I love to shop!! LOL
  13. JennHug
    JennHug
    I was so worried when I started reading these, until I got to the more positive ones. I have WLS with Almanza on the 21st, and its all paid for and planned out to the smallest detail. I am so sorry for that anyone had a bad experience.