Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Bougie size????

1. DragonsLoard
    Can anyone tell me why Bougie size Dr Quinones uses? My Hubby spoke with Henry today and was very impressed!
  2. zmdh39
    He uses between a 32-36 depending on the patient.
  3. gemini*eyes
    gemini*eyes
    He told me he uses a 36 and after he sutures over the staples it ends up a 35.. Im pretty sure I asked if he used a 32 and he said no. But really there are a lot of different answers.. LOL. nothing seems exactly the same from day to day.. He probably does have a 32 but that is known to cause GERD later down the road.
  4. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    It depends on the size of your stomach. For smaller stomach's he uses smaller ones and for larger stomachs he uses larger ones.
  5. DragonsLoard
    Thanks for the replys. I've been talking to Dr Almanza agents but my hubby isn't sold on him due to the number is surgerys he performs in one day. Plus after my hubby spoke with Henry yesterday, I'm 99.9% sure I'll be going to Dr Q.
    Again thanks for the responses
  6. zmdh39
    Almanza had been my first choice until I found out how many surgeries that he did in one day, I get these guys are surgeons so they are trained to do 16 hour surgeries, but I don't know, I was just WAY more comfortable with Dr. Q and the number that he did. I also really like that Dr. Q was actually the one that train Almanza. Good luck to your hubby!
  7. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    To add to BOUGIE SIZE WHICH ZMDH has put on here, I hope this answers EVERYONE'S question. Now let me tell you all many people have reserves about going to Mexico due to they do not think that Mexican doctors are as qualified as a US,UK,etc. doctor. After a lot of research I am finding that Dr.Q is the only BARIATRIC SURGEON on here who does his French Bougie size usage similar to the good US bariatric surgeons, which again LET'S ME KNOW I CHOOSE A GREAT SURGEON. When it comes to bougie size A GOOD BARIATRIC SURGEON really would have to ACCESS YOU as a person in order to know what BOUGIE they should use on you AND really would have a better idea what HE WILL use when he is inside of you and sees your stomach. Have you all noticed you don't know until DR. Q has done your surgery what size you got? EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT so how can you use the same bougie size on each person? So here is some detailed FACTS I was sure to put together for everyone I see this type of posting all over the forum and if I forgot something let me know.
    Sleeve size, in all reality whatever size French bougie you get when the doctor is stapling/cutting your stomach, the stapler and French bougie there is a one and a half times the width distance. The size of the bougie does not matter only in the short term lost but it still has the same long term fact. So a person with a 32 and 36 will lose but in the short term the 32 will lose faster but they will end up being the same in the long run. Also, patients who had a bigger French Bougie used on them have a lower chance of presenting with a leak. REASONS A surgeon would use a bigger bougie based on YOU, your height, weight, if you have co-morbidies, or are older, because using a bigger French bougie will help relieve some of the pressure on the stomach like absorbing more of the nutrients etc. you need.
    Bougie Size if you got a 32 French bougie your new empty stomach pouch size is 1-2 ounces, if you had a 34-36 French bougie your new empty stomach pouch created is about 2-3 ounces in size. Now you see it is possible that if I was a 32 with a 2 ounce pouch a person who has a 34 or 36 could also have an empty stomach pouch of 2 ounces as well? A 32 French bougie has a diameter of about 10 millimeters or 0.4 inches, can hold 1-2 oz. A 34 French bougie has a diameter of about 10.795 millimeters or .425 inches, and a 36 French bougie has a diameter of about 11.43 millimeters or.45 inches. Now the stomach capacity of each person is not the same, so that is why they say estimates, WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT ANATOMY, my stomach could be longer than yours etc., but these are little factors and THEY DO NOT EFFECT WEIGHT LOSS AT ALL. ONLY IN THE SHORT TERM.
  8. gemini*eyes
    gemini*eyes
    Of course what your saying makes complete and total sense. HoWEVER!! i looked the man in the face and I asked him what sizes he uses. HE SAID HE ONLY USES a 36. He went on to tell me about GERD in smaller sizes.. He spoke plain english and I did not misunderstand. Henry was sitting in the room as well. henry was the only one that told me he uses a 32 but I feel like I should believe the actual surgeon. He told me this prior to my surgery before he saw my anatomy. I would like to know how many patients really know what size they have! ?? They dont send you home with a single piece of info except a bypass diet.. So not that the size really matter much in the end. I just hate to think my surgeon told me something that wasnt the case.. What he told me leads me to believe every single patient of his has 36... he then went on to tell me once he sutures on top its more of a 35.. so why the heck would he tell me one thing and then get on here and be told differently.. Like i said it doesnt really matter much other than knowing what is going on inside me and being able to trust him at face value..
  9. Jedi
    Jedi
    Hi All,

This is what Dr Quinones just dictated to me:

There is no set exact siza, the range is between a 32 to a 35, it all depends on the individual, please lets not get confused and start stating fcoments that are not accurate, please rember that the determination is done in the actuall surgery.

II was there and what I understood he told you was thet he likes to suture on top and that on you he was using about a 35, if you would like to know the exact size of your bougie just ask, that is what we are for this is a life long relationship as we stated in the consultation prior to your surgery if you would like the records we can e mail them to you or your Doctor back home, remember that first the surgical notes, indications and everything else is done in Spanish and we have to translate them by someone capable of doing the translation to English Medical Terms.

We have your best interest and result at heart, it is a matter of safety plus results what we want for all of our patients.

We are Ethical in everything that we do and follow protocols to a T.

It is very easy for other coordinators or even competing Doctors to say they do a 32, because you could never tell the difference.... We do not work that way.

Cheers Everybody !!
  10. Flutrby429@yahoo.com
    Flutrby429@yahoo.com
    Thanks for clearing that up Henry
  11. gemini*eyes
    gemini*eyes
    Yes.. Thanks for the clarity. no one is questioning your ethics...