Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New to site

1. angel face
    angel face
    Hi -- I'm scheduled for surgery in April 2012. I'm about 190 lbs now (high 225) and I'm not getting a lot of family support for my decision since I "don't have that much weight to lose." Problem 1 is that I have been struggling with this weight for more than 25 years (I''m 47 now). Problem 2 is that I haven't been able to lose much by myself or with the help of my doctor. When I do lose, I gain it back eventually. Problem 3 is my co-mobidities -- High blood pressure and severe sleep apena. It would be great to be skinny, but I really just want to be healthy. Any advice on how to deal with the naysayers???
  2. Munchkin
    Munchkin
    I didn't tell a lot people for that reason. It is really not much you can do about others' opinion. Stick with your inform decision, you will be fine.
  3. Nanna2012
    Nanna2012
    I didn't have a lot of family support either and only told those who would be supportive... I had a lot of health issues too and the thought of growing older and unhealthier terrified me. I was sleeved on January 5, 2012, weighing 204.5... I'm now at 178.6. I feel so much better already and know I did the best thing for me. Hang in there and let the results speak for themselves. I know it'll be slow going, but so worth the ride!
  4. angel face
    angel face
    thanks for the support. I didn't tell many people, but I figured I had to tell my husband
  5. cab1965
    cab1965
    I'm glad to hear that others have also experienced the "why would you do something so drastic to lose a few pounds" comments. I started out at 199 but have lost and gained the same 40-50# for about 25 years (46 years old now). I have lost weight successfully my entire adult life...but I cannot keep it off. And the older I get, the harder it gets to lose it in the first place. I just got sick and tired of either being on a drastic diet, planning for my next drastic diet, mad at myself for cheating on my drastic diet or dreading being on another one. It's been a vicious cycle that has impacted my quality of life.

I have been lucky and I am healthy with the exception of the weight. So, I'm not sure anyone would understand me doing this. I was sleeved on 2/15 and am down 21# (part of that I lost during pre-op diet). I already feel so much better that I'm losing and this time it's permanent.
  6. cbchambers
    cbchambers
    I'm in the same boat 5' well really 4'11...lol and 194. I've been the same consistently for the past 15years and its not healthy I know. Thanks for all your information for peopole like me.
  7. VegasRNmom
    VegasRNmom
    I had the sleeve done at 191 pounds and I'm 5'5". When people don't understand my decision I explain that my weight had been going up and up since having children, my hunger was out of control, I'd tried phentermine, HCG, diets and exercise with some success but always with rebound weight gain. My goal is to lose 65 pounds and if you can imagine a 50 lb bag of dog food, that's a lot of extra weight to carry and wear around. Then they can begin to imagine my choice.
  8. JENGAR
    JENGAR
    Glad to read I am not alone my family and friends are not supportive I think I should just eat right and workout more. I have a great workout routine I run and spin at the gym but the constant hunger sets me back and I have always been in the overweight category never in the Normal range and have two comorbidities chtn and arthritis I like the analogy of the dog food bag. And they think I am nuts for going to another country
  9. saltlifenat
    saltlifenat
    I am at 209lbs now, which is my heaviest in life.
    My friends have ALL told me of horror stories---I simply tell them that I am tired of my thyroid problem continuously making me gain weight, and that I don't want to die from Diabetes like my Mom did at 49. I am 43.
    I have a friend that had the surgery a few months ago, and I use her achievements as a come back too
  10. krick1982
    krick1982
    Like so many of you, the few family members that i've told (mother, sister-in-law) are not supportive of my decision. They just think i'm trying to take the easy way out. My husband had the sleeve last february so he totally supports my decision. I currently weigh 200lbs.