Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Ins requires 6 month diet first.

1. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    I knew my insurance required a prior 6 month diet, but really thought my Dr would be able to sign off on that because I go every 3 months for blood work. We do discuss my weight and he has assisted me with a variety of ways to try and help me lose weight. The ins though wants documented visits of at least 1 time a month from the last 6 months. So I start with the orientation on the 29th to meet with everyone and start my time. She said I will meet with a nutritionist there and it's ok to lose or stay the same for the 6 months, but the insurance doesn't want to see a gain. I'm guessing they think if I can't follow this diet I wouldn't be able to follow a diet after the surgery. Oh well, maybe I will lose some weight. I was expecting at least a 3 month weight, but not 6 months or more.

Oh well, my husband should be ready to take care of "me" by then.
  2. blklab70
    blklab70
    Don't lose hope. My insurance did not require the waiting time, but I know a lot of them do. Meanwhile you can study and think about how wonderful it will be when it happens for you! The time will go by fast. Keep us posted on how you are feeling.
  3. flowergirl
    flowergirl
    It's ironic that ins. companies want you to lose weight before you get a weight loss process done. If you could lose the weight on your own, you would have by now. My ins. would not even cover it, and that's why I went to Mexico for the sleeve surgery. One year out and I'm 97 lbs down and four clothes sizes. Have not felt this good physically in a long time. Think about not going the ins. route. Take care and good luck. Lisa
  4. blondie12au
    blondie12au
    I think it is done differently here in Australia. Ins. does not cover much but I did not have to do anything prior to having the gastric sleeve except choose when I would like to get it done. It was just about one of the very best things I have done for myself. Hubby and daughter were against me getting it BUT I did it for me NOT them. I have now lost over 20kg and am very happy girl. xxxcoral
  5. ChrisJ
    ChrisJ
    I did the 6mo. thing and had no net loss. Ins. ruled to cover my surgery. Yippee! 3.5 weeks and I'll be on the losers bench. The 6 months goes by fast. Take that time to learn all you can about life after sleeve. Good Luck!
  6. parisshel
    parisshel
    Isn't it interesting how protocols differ not only per doctor but per country? Here in France there is no pre-op diet or program to follow. You could eat a huge dinner before showing up at the hospital the next morning. They don't subscribe to the idea that the liver has to be "defatted" before surgery; which is one of the things I've been seeing a lot on this forum...that the reason one does even a 15-day protein drink program pre-op is to get the fat off the liver.
  7. barbarak33
    barbarak33
    The health care pros that I met with during the six-month waiting period said that it's more of a mental preparation period as well as a time to take a refresher course on nutrition and exercise. With the number of diets that we've been on in our lives, it seems that we'd be pros at all that! I'm still the same person I was before the surgery--I still crave sugar--but I choose to make better decisions about what I eat because I want to feel GOOD for the first time in YEARS. The surgery is a blessing and it's up to me to remind myself of that.
  8. DebbieNTexas
    DebbieNTexas
    Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm better about the wait now. My insurance only pays 50% of all costs, but I need that 50%! I'm really excited about meeting the staff and nutritionist, etc and just getting things started! They said I will be there about 5-6 "hours"! That was a shocker. It starts at 7am and about a 40 min drive, so I'll be up at the crack of dawn because they want you to have breakfast and bring a snack.