Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

When did you experience Hair Loss?

1. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I am a month out and I have a good length of hair for a women of color. I was wondering for those further out when did you experience hair loss if you did experience it. What type of hair loss? Is it like when you take your braids down and ALL THAT hair you lose. Is it that much hair loss? Does your hair thin? Does it look like those girls with no sides? I mean can someone elaborate on what Hair loss means? I am hoping I don't experience this but in case I do I would like to know what to expect.
  2. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Mine started just about a month ago, at the 4 month mark, which is typical. I wash my hair once a week, and that's when it comes out, about a loosely held fistful. I'm not tripping cuz I have a lot of hair AND a wig I bought beforehand that I brought to show the hairdresser I wanted to relax my hair what I wanted it to look like. Plus, I look good in turbans although I prefer hats w/ wide brims. Not worrying until there's something to worry about. More details in the hair thread I linked a few days ago.
  3. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    You know your right duh! You did put a link for hair. Sometimes when I am at work my mind be half there. LOL
  4. PHATDIVABBW
    PHATDIVABBW
    My hair is thin anyway. I wear a lot of ponytails. I'm thinking of getting a short cut even before my hair loss starts.
  5. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I don't want to lose my hair it is down my back. It's all natural, that is a great achievement for a black girl. I guess if I did it once I can do it again
  6. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Yeah, don't worry, it will grow back. My hair is about bra strap length and that's only cuz I cut it religiously...I don't like the long look on me so much anymore but shoulder length is flattering.
  7. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
  8. leah
    leah
    I started losing hair at 4 months. I mean hand fulls of hair. It finally stopped almost exactly when I hit 6 months. Thank God. I thought I was going to go bald.
  9. hope4me
    hope4me
    Can someone tell me, what is it that causes the hair to fall out?
  10. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Weight loss surgery can cause protein and iron deficiencies in your diet, if you don't stay on your nutritional intake. Hair can grow back shorter & thinner as the normal hair cycle is disrupted & the root is weakened. Weight loss also causes changes in hormone levels. These fluctuations can cause hair growth to be altered or stunted. After significant weight loss the body will continue to adjust its hormone balance until it stabilizes at more normal levels when the patient reaches their weight loss goals. Typically, if they lose any at all, patients can expect to start losing their hair between three and six months after surgery. Some patients may lose it sooner and some much later.It will start to regain its former thickness about a year or 18 months after surgery when the patient’s weight and eating patterns have stabilized. Gastric bypass patients have a higher chance of losing hair than banding or gastric sleeve patients as the restriction and malabsorption of calories is greater.
  11. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hi Phoenixrise: Thanks so much for that info. I have been reading so much, not just here but whereever I could find. I came to the group because I felt I will benifit from doing so. I have set my surgery date and it is still a few months away. I saw this conversation about hair loss and I thought I would ask the question. It is better to get and idea of what may happen ectt.. than to get to that point and it happen, and not knowing what is going on. I have placed that in my notes. I hope that all is well with you. Take care..
  12. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    My surgery was great and I am doing fine I did hit a week and a half no weight loss, I actually gained some weight. I wasn't worried I knew I would lose again, then a few days ago I lost the weight I gained and an additional 3 lbs. I been gathering information for my weight loss journey too. I am only a month and a half out and I am hoping my hair does not thin out or get any shorter. If so I have to consider how I am going to start wearing my hair.
  13. hope4me
    hope4me
    Keep the post coming. whom ever start to experince the hair lost. I think this help those of us who have not yet reached that point. Take care all and God bless.