Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Sleeve Pricing in Houston, TX

1. doxie
    doxie
    I'd like to get feedback on what the pricing for sleeve surgery is in Houston, TX. I have met someone who had the surgery (paid cash, no insurance) for around $11,000.

Anyone here done a price comparison of the area? or willing to share what you paid for the surgery and which doctor was used?

Of course, my most concern is having a highly qualified, experienced surgeon who will provide the best patient care. I do have BCBS of TX insurance which covers the surgery, but have to do the prerequisite stuff (weight management, dietician, labs, etc.).

If I do the surgery, it will be after the first of next year, as I plan to switch to a lower deductible and sign up for my flex cafeteria plan to save some tax $$. Plus, I will have plenty of vacation time again.
  2. Eleanor
    Eleanor
    I did some research in Houston. I decided to go w/Dr Ata Ahmad off of FM 1960. He does the surgery at Houston NW Hosp. I tried Dr. Brian Mirza, I really liked him, but he was out of network for BCBS(at least the 1 I have). I have a clause that does not cover any weight loss surgery. Dr Ahmad's offc was able to get me covered for the Endo, lab work, chest xray & anestesia. Since they found a hiatal hernia, the hospital I'm having the surgery in dropped $3k off (I guess it's covered by BCBS), here's what I ended up paying: $462 (coinsurance)for the endo, $700 anestesia fee for the surgery, $6k hospital fee for surgery, $1191.09 for my coinsurance for surgery, & $3k for the docs fees. Came up to: $11,353.09. It's been less than a month & I am scheduled to have surgery on 8/24/12. The price of Dr. Mirza was around $14k, not including follow up visits (at $150 each), also a psychiatric eval that costs $100 & at least 1visit with a dietician which will cost $75.
  3. Eleanor
    Eleanor
    1 more place I checked was Methodist Hospital (I went to their seminar), it was about $15k without including the anestesia or physician fees. Too high.