Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Please introduce yourself

1. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
    My name is India, I live in San Diego, I was sleeved 06-JULY-2012 and started at 273+ and I am 5'6. It was the best choice I made in a long time. I have not had any problems with my sleeve at all. I have been losing at a good pace. I am more concerned about what I lose on a monthly basis over a weekly or daily basis. I created this group in hopes we could share our experiences. I have been really trying to keep my eyes open on women who share similar make ups as I do so I can set a realistic weight goal for myself. I know as a black women I can weigh more and look less, I think black women feel more comfortable at weights that fill us out. I hope everyone takes a chance to introduce themselves. ARE GET SOME GOOD THREADS STARTED. It should be a community effort to answer some real questions about African American Health, Beauty, and Weight Loss.
  2. kimmyiet
    kimmyiet
    Hi Phoenixrise,

My name is Kimberly and I live in Houston TX and will be sleeved on Aug 30th. My highest weight 250lbs and i'm looking to lose about 100lbs. If you don't mind me asking, how has the surgery changed your outlook on life? Thanks for making this group.
  3. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Welcome, kimmy! I started at a weight just 5 lbs. above you, and even though I lose slowly, I'm at 187 today. A whole 'nother world opens up when you sleeve in so many positive ways.

Phoenix, I'm really glad you started the whole "AAs weigh more" thing cuz even while I'm mixed I look quite respectable at 170 lbs and I've always wondered about that when my white friends and Mom were worrying about getting to 110 lbs. 110 lbs. will not look good on me in this lifetime, and I always theorized that part of the reason I got fat was as a teenager I was starving myself because I was "fat" i.e. not skinny like my white Mom. If you starve yourself you set up binge behavior, which, if you don't get treatment for it, will either turn into bulimia or make you fat. And I'm 5'6, too! We'll definitely have to compare notes as we lose weight-my Dr. says I'm medium boned, how 'bout you?
  4. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    My outlook on life is SO MUCH DIFFERENT. For me I lost 20lbs almost 1 month later.I know I am pretty, (I hope we all feel that way) and as I lose weight I am just like whoa an even prettier girl is emerging. I feel like I have the limits I placed on me are disappearing. I can imagine what I will look like in 6 months. I been noticing so many black women that have started around the 200's really look good after 6 months. So I can't wait for 6 months to pass. Trust me you will feel this as the point your life changed. Your self esteem grows with every pound you lose. I hated shopping but now, I am starting to look at clothes. I APOLOGIZED in advance to my friends if I become a "you can't tell her nothing" type female, because I feel my head starting to get a little air in it. LOL I think once i get to a point I can wear a TWO PIECE. WATCH OUT!! This is me getting my confidence back and more, it's a fresh start YOLO!!!
  5. tprincess
    tprincess
    Greetings!

My name is Vanessa and I live in Houston, TX. I have the surgery November 2011 and so far have lost 115lbs. I am feeling pretty fantastic and really look forward to having a more productive life. I did not have any problems with the surgery except for the usual period of time my body was getting used to the changes. Lots of trips to the bathroom for both ends. Sometimes still have problems though if I don't watch what I eat. I am extremely happy I had the surgery. I am so looking forward to the future. Glad to have found this group and hopefully we can support each other along the journey.
  6. Sunflower
    Sunflower
    Hi everyone, I started out at 280, and got on the scale at just over 210 today! Surgery was on March 10th. This has been quite a journey! It's interesting that yo u mentioned how we can weigh more and look good because when I tell people how much I weigh they don't believe me. They always say they would never have guessed I weighed that much. I'm hoping to get down to 140, but we shall see. It's been a long time since I was at that weight. Thanks for forming the group, and for inviting me to join--and how did you know I'm black? LOL
  7. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I truly get more inspired from gents, and ladies especially that have been sleeved a few months longer than I have. I try to invite all the women and men of color to the forum if they haven't found it themselves. @tprincess 115lbs is amazing in that's in 9 months? I tell you I am truly inspired about what I will be looking like in 6 months. @Sunflower I knew you were half black because of a thread Dee had about posted on here with a link for hair. I wanted to really get a lot of perspective on this surgery from everyone off all shades and especially sizes. I look forward to HEARING MORE about everyones journey. I stay glued on here to know what to expect. Thanks everyone who introduces themselves. I HOPE WE GET VERY ACTIVE IN OUR POSTINGS. You all just have no clue how inspiring it is for others to read your posts, and become informed. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE KEEP POSTING and CREATING NEW TOPICS TO DISCUSS!! I look forward to it
  8. Sunflower
    Sunflower
    Oh, OK! I remember that thread--was a while ago. Well thanks, Phoenix, for forming the group and for inviting me. I live in the Sacramento area, and like you, I can agree that this was the best decision I've made in a very long time! Having gone the lap band route and being thoroughly disappointed with it, (and even blaming myself for it not working), my only regrets about the sleeve is that I didn't do it three and a half years ago when I got the lap band. I could mope around and say that was time wasted, but instead I choose to put it all down to experience and time to learn and grow. And yes, the posts others make are very inspiring and educational. I always learn something, or get a good tip when I log on and read others' posts.
  9. ChanFlow
    ChanFlow
    Hi ladies and gents!!

I am a early 30's gastric sleeve vet. Loll, (2+ years). I am totally happy with my results. I have lost 90lbs and am currently 171lbs. I am a weight that I haven't seen since I was a teenager. I still have my shape but I did loose some mass in my buttocks and breast. However, I still in double digits when it comes to clothes and still shapely. I admit my results are not atypical of any weightless surgery. People I meet for the first time have no idea I was bigger than my current size. Anyway, I'm looking to connect with anyone who has had the sleeve or thinking about it. I here to support.. Yeah GS!!!!
  10. shaun1976
    shaun1976
    Hi Everyone!

I am a 36 year old wife and mother to four children ages 15, 14, 11, and 7 from Alabama. My surgery is scheduled for Monday, August 6, 2012. Think I have all of my first week supplies. My mama is coming to help the hubby with the meals...
  11. Brady38
    Brady38
    Hello everyone,
    I'm from NJ and I'm scheduled to have my surgery on august21. I'm excited nervous anxious... I'm not a big drinker and I'm a little concerned about being able to stomach enough protein drinks after surgery.
  12. BabyGirl817
    BabyGirl817
    Hello everyone, I just getting started with the process of getting sleeved. I talked to my wls and i am set up with the psychiatrist and i will be seeing my nutritionist for the 3rd time on the 23 of Aug. I am hoping the time will go fast and I will be smaller and healthier by this time next year.
  13. Stacyj4
    Stacyj4
    Hello everyone.My name is Stacy. I am 33 years old and I am almost 8 months post op gatric sleeve surgery. Last summer I reached my highest weight of 275.I wanted to cry when I saw that I was almost 3 pounds.I knew I had to do something. Having the surgery has been the best decision that I have ever made.I finally decided to put myself first for a change.I had to take classes at Kaiser for 3 months to prepare for my new healthy lifestyle. During those 3 months I lost 25 pounds. I lost another 13 pounds waiting to be scheduled for surgery,which took another month. On surgery day I weighed in at 232. I am now 150 pounds and couldnt be happier. My hair thinned out for a while, but Its growing back now. My boobs are a little deflated. I can handle it. My husband isnt complaining. I exercise 3 to 4 days a week for 30 to 45 minutes. Ive been blessed to not have much loose skin. Im healithier now at 33 then I was when I was a teenager.
  14. PHATDIVABBW
    PHATDIVABBW
    Hello Everyone! My name is Lewanda. I am 43 yrs old. I was sleeved on 5/17/12, my starting weight was 448 and I am currently 391. 57lbs in two mths is a blessing. I've always carried my weight well. I've been a big girl all my life. OFG (Original Fat Girl) My goal weight is 250lbs. That would be 198lb loss! I'm bottom heavy with curves so we will see if my goal changes when I get to 250. I don't want to be skinny. I want to be healthy. It's funny seeing most of you start at my goal weight. LOL
  15. hope4me
    hope4me
    well hello everyone, I'm Kathy from Texas, I have been doing a lot of research on this surgery. I decided to go for it. I have spent far to much time yo yoing and it has only lead to other problems as I am makig to many trip to the Dr. My Dr. has not tried to help me in this matter, he says there is nothing wrong with where I am. but I know he is wrong. I'm obesed and I'm not happy with myself. I will show him that I'm going to be loving me some me buy taking my life back. So you will be hearing a lot from me. Oh by the way my surgery is set for Dec 10, 2012 Here's to all of us meeting our goals.
  16. taeinga
    taeinga
    Hi.. I'm Tae, from GA. I'm 38 and I live with my husband of 12 years and our 3 young boys. Big boy is 7 and twins are 3. I started researching lap band 3 years ago when 2 friends had it done. My surgeon suggested VSG instead and I'm very happy she did. I have only two more appts and will submit for insurance approval after those (last one is in 2 weeks). I anticipate that I'll be having surgery around mid October. I've actually gained since I started looking into vsg. I'm now at 300. So, just today, I've committed to trying to lose a few pounds between now and surgery time. I'm excited to be here and hope to make a few friends along this journey. My real-life support is not so great.
  17. ebonylove
    ebonylove
    Hello All

I'm Ebony a 5 ft 5 in *** pound woman from Michigan. I have tried every diet / fad that I have learned about. I am the mother of 3 boys and recently divorced after 14 years of marriage. I have been told that I don't look a pound over 160 however I have triple d's and very huge thighs so I guess that's where most of my weight comes from. I have surgery on Saturday 9/1/2012 in TJ Mexico, I'm packed and really enjoying the pre op diet. A little overwhelmed but ready for change.
  18. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Hi Ebony et al, I've posted on this thread before but realized today that I never really introduced myself. Here's my intro at post #1
    http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/g...ves-first.html in the Kaiser group that I created awhile ago-much has happened since my initial introduction-like I got sleeved!

Ebony et al...this surgery will change your life! For the better in so many ways.
  19. Missing_Link
    Missing_Link
    Greetings Everyone,
    I am 37 year old mother of a 20 yr and 1 yr old. Currently going thru a seperation and it seems as if God has decided to change my life all at once. The sleeve was an added bonus to a life changing decision. I was sleeved on 8-21-12, with a lab band removal and hernia repair. Although this has been a dramatic guttsy move to better my life style, it is well invited and exciting journey. My support system will be this community and a couple of friends and family members. I should and will get thru this stage of the transformation with a lot of prayer and self examination. I am truly excited to see myself a year from now , 100 lbs lighter and healthier.
  20. MBMP
    MBMP
    Hello everyone! Happy to find this group. I haven't had the surgery yet, waiting for the final step before approval. I have been contemplating getting the surgery for 3 years now. I knew I didn't want Bypass, so when I read about the sleeve I was convinced that was the route I would take. I look forward to asking questions from you all and sharing stories and support. Thank you!
  21. Sweetpea142
    Sweetpea142
    Hello everyone, Im Kadejia, a new sleever (5 months) and Im very happy with my decision to do it. I have been overweight for a long time and my health wasnt getting any better if I didnt do something. I had the band for the past 3 years but that didnt work for me and I needed something more invasive. I am very impressed with the sleeve progress so far. Im following all the rules and have changed my eating habits and taking control. Im very happy to be on the LOSER'S bench! lol.
  22. sasssy
    sasssy
    Hey All I am Renee and I am from NJ. I am the mother of an 19 year old and a 4 year old. I banded back in 2010 with disappointing results to say the least. I had my band removed 7/9/2012 and on 8/27/2012 I had the sleeve and a hernia repair. I am 9 days post op and feeling great. On surgery day I was 283 and yes no one ever thought I weighted that much. I am looking forward to this journey of a healthier lifestyle and to continue to be there for my children and their child.
  23. Zetagirl66
    Zetagirl66
    I am Eleasha. I was just sleeved on 8/21/12. I was at 310 lbs pre op I am now down to 285 25 lbs in 3 weeks. Amazing I am still working on getting in the protein and water. I am excited and looking forward to the new possibilities that being at a healthy weight will bring.
  24. dakidgotgame23
    dakidgotgame23
    Im a 27year old father of two and married. My wife has been supportive greatly. I had surgery 9/6/12. Started at 319lbs and im now 309lbs. Hope to get down to 240lbs. I played college ball at 250lbs. Id feel great at 240lbs!
  25. Tracie_t
    Tracie_t
    Hello,

My name is Tracie. I am 35 and have been overweight ever since I can remember. I am going on the 28 of this month to get sleeved and so far I am very excited, but scared at the same time. I know I have to do this becuase all my sisters on my dad side is 400 plus and I am so scared that I will get that size. Like I stated I have always been big but I was proportioned. But after having 3 kids and as I get older its hard for the weight to come off. I will be coming alone cause I dont have a support system and actually I would rather go alone. So, Im here to get and offer support to anyone. If you are on facebook my name is Tracie Thibodeaux. Im not gone lie, at first I thought all this was a hoax to get your money, but as I;m reading all the post everyone has the same doubts as I..... Well guys I have a short time left but will keep all of you posted... We are all African beauty Queens!!!!! Thanks dolls!!!
  26. regiefortheworld
    regiefortheworld
    hello...i have not been sleeved as of yet, but plan on doing so in the next few months. i am single w/no kids and tired of being fat...plan and simple...ive done and tried it all...i look forward to reading all the encouraging post and subjects posted.
  27. Jos1yn
    Jos1yn
    Hi, I'm Joslyn, and I'm from the suburban Chicagoland area. I am currently about 285lbs and 5'3 (and a half!, LOL) I was never overweight until I got pregnant at 25. I identify with Jessica Simpson's struggle to get the weight off, because she is my height and curvy like me, and when you are short, gaining 60-70 pounds has nowhere to go but sideways! It didn't fall off they way I thought it would after I was pregnant, and I ate through my pregnancy as if food was going to be illegal the next day, and I needed to destroy the evidence. The doctor warned me it wasn't going to come off, and he was right! Fast forward 16years later and eating my way through a painful marriage, single parenthood, working two jobs, going to grad school, etc. etc.. and I packed on at least 75 more lbs to cope. I am going in for surgery on Tuesday, September 18th, and I'm looking forward to getting that hot momma back that I used to be. I miss her! I also have sleep apnea and it makes me feel ashamed that I have gotten to the point that I'm so fat that I stop breathing when I sleep and have to wear an oxygen mask to bed to function. So yes, I want to be fly, of course, but my health improving is very crucial and paramount to me, as well. My daughter needs me around. OK, thanks for "listening" and for this group. Much love and success to all!
  28. Nursedee
    Nursedee
    Hello group, my Name is Dee and I live in Charleston, SC. I plan to have the sleeves as soon as I can settle on a doctor in Mexico. I am 5'7 weighing 193 lbs. today. I know most people don't agree with my decision but it is my decision I've been battling my weight nice I was 15 yrs old. I've been as heavy as 213lbs and got don to 183 lbs and now I'm back up. I need this because I can't get over this hump. Please share your experience if you've have used a Mexican doctor. Thanks
  29. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hi Nursedee. and welcome. You know what you've been going through, and you sound so much like me, It seem the older I get the more I keep messing up trying to diet going up and down. (The yo yo thingy). I have done a lot of research on the sleave, and have chosen my Dr, in Mexico. I'm not afraid. I'm waiting on my day. I hope you get more responses. shortly. But if you are planning on Mexico I don't see it being a bad choice. Good luck.
  30. hope4me
    hope4me
    Oh you can also join one of the groups that address their experinces with the Dr. over there and their surgeries. I hope this helps,
  31. Kee77
    Kee77
    My name is Keshia 35 Yro mom of 4. I am getting sleeved on 9/25. Wish me luck!!
  32. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Hi to all the new arrivals!
  33. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hello Kee77 and welcome I pray that all goes well with you. You will be ok, I can feel it(smile).
  34. Maia0628
    Maia0628
    Hello all, my name is Maia from Michigan. I am a 39, married mother to 2, 18 year old college students. With the kids out trying to get their lives in order it is now time for me to take care of myself and put myself first for once. My husband is as supportive as he can but does not understand. I am 5.3 and 230ish, I am darn near round as I am tall. I have always been "thick & porportioned" but now I am miserable and out of control. I had a hystorectomy when I was 27, I was 170 at the date of surgery and the weight jumped on me like a freight train HARD AND FAST. I have tried everything I could to fight my obesity I have yo-yoed to the point that I now ashamed to see family who I don't know what weight they saw me at last. The look of shame it too much, I am in my 2nd month of requirments for my insurance company so I am happily hiding out for the next 4 months until my surgery. I need God and medical intervention to help me do what I cannot do for myself.
  35. perfectpeace1025
    perfectpeace1025
    Hello,
    I am 34, married, with a soon to be pre-teen. Had my surgery on June 4th. I am doing fairly well. Went to my PCP last week, her scale said I weighed 227, that means I lost 71 pounds. I will wait until I get to my WL doc scale. I am so happy with the results!!!!!! I hate that I still have DDD cups, but hopefully that will be over. Just want to introduce myself and tell you guys I am happy to join the ride and experience this journey.
  36. MontyW
    MontyW
    Hi, My name is Monty I'm 46 yrs old and I'm from Kansas City, MO. I was sleeved on 5/30/12. I started off at 312.5 lbs and was 292 lbs the day of surgery. I currently am down to 240 lbs. I still have a long way to go as my goal weight is 160 lbs, although I probably would be happy at 170 lbs. I'm 5'7" so I think that's fairly reasonable. I haven't had any complications thus far, besides being anemic and my potassium a little low. I have been terrible about exercising but I do plan to start soon. I think this has been one of the best decisions ever. I just regret not doing it sooner.
  37. Manefocus
    Manefocus
    Hello all, my name is Sharmane, I am 36 an 5'5 1/2, my highest weight was 276, my surgery date was 9/20/2012 and I weighed 257 lbs, I went to the doctor's yesterday and weighed 248, so I see progress. Btw, I live in Maryland now, not far from Washington D.C. I am so glad I decided to have the surgery. I haven't had any problems, I'm getting better with getting my fluids and protein in and I have been walking daily since my 3rd day post op. I am focused on this new healthy lifestyle, I want to be here to see my children grow.
  38. Elyne
    Elyne
    Hi My name is Edlyne I am a mother of 2 girls 15 and 8 years old. I chose to have the gastric sleeve, after I saw how difficult it would be to be 40 years old and at 400 pounds.
  39. hope4me
    hope4me
    welcome Elyne. I think I've been around long enought to say that Ithink, lol. I felt that same way, and decided to do something about it. Here's to better things for you.
  40. PRPisces021972
    PRPisces021972
    Hi! My name is Faye and I am not African American but I am Puerto Rican. I am 40yrs old 5’5 and was tipping the scale at 407lbs before my surgery. I was sleeved on 7/24/12 and my current weight is 352lbs. I have lost 55lbs so far and I am beyond trilled about that . I joined this group because I have always felt that African American culture and Puerto Rican cultures have a lot in common, from food to struggles and way of living. So I can relate. I, as many of you have said don’t want to be a tiny skinny woman. I have curves and a shape to me that I feel will make me look awful if I lost too much weight. I’m not quite sure how much I would like to weight and the end of this journey but all I do know is that I love the way I am feeling lately. The change in my health is awesome and being able to do things I was not able to do in a long time is a wonderful experience. Being able to get down on the floor without having to worry how I was going to be able to get back up after playing with my 4 yrs old was extremely amazing.

Having this surgery has given me a new lease and outlook on life and I plan on living it up to the upmost. Good look to everyone on their journey and I look forward to being able to learn from each other.
  41. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    WELCOME everyone I do so appreciate everyone who introduces themselves and participate in the group. @PRPisces You don't have to be African-American as long as you can relate to the struggles. I do understand I like how you said " I’m not quite sure how much I would like to weight and the end of this journey but all I do know is that I love the way I am feeling lately" That is how I been feeling I don't know what the ideal weight for me is, I just want to be happy. I been losing weight and feeling great. I use to HATE TO HAVE MY PICTURE TAKEN now I am changing because I really don't think I look so bad now in a photo.
  42. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hello PRP, and welcome.Please keep us up on how your're doing. As I'm waiting on my turn, It just helps me to come and see how others are doing. Congd. on your current weight loss. Keep up the good work.
  43. shakka17
    shakka17
    Hello everyone. My name is Shay I and I will be getting sleeved hopefully during the first week of April 2013. Currently I weigh 235 pounds and would like to get down to 145. I am so happy to have found this group ad look forward to any advice or guidance that anyone can give me. Thank you
  44. shakka17
    shakka17
    Hello everyone. My name is Shay I and I will be getting sleeved hopefully during the first week of April 2013. Currently I weigh 235 pounds and would like to get down to 145. I am so happy to have found this group ad look forward to any advice or guidance that anyone can give me. Thank you
  45. bigsexy
    bigsexy
    Hello to All...Im Lala aka BIGSEXY ...Im a 45 year old , 5ft11, 400+lb female BOSS in Michigan. My surgery date is Oct 15th...AMEN....Im to excited to be nervous lol...Im the divorced mother of 1...26 year old son thats a Pro Boxer here in Michigan. He blessed my with a 1 year old grand daughter I named ZaHara ...OMG ZeZe my heart...She is the split image of her dad...Im proud of my son he is raising her while her mom furthers her education in Florida...Ive been in Michigan my whole life...I travel the country often following my son...After I turned 45 this year I noticed my weight was up and my health was declining ....The LORD told me old girl its time for a tune up...I been on it every since...My goal is the next 2 years is all about me and getting me healthy ...Im going to love my sleeve like Ive never loved a man before...lol...Pray for me yall...Im very outspoken and open minded...I dont mind chattn...Huggz Luv BIG
  46. fateggplant
    fateggplant
    Hello I'm Dionne...living in Dallas TX....newly sleeved Friday 8/24/12...went back to work Monday 8/27 for the first day of school. Ive lost 36 lbs in 6 weeks. I've had no problems with the sleeve other than the GAS issue. Life is great! just trying to make it to the under 200 mark....
  47. fateggplant
    fateggplant
    Hello I'm Dionne...living in Dallas TX....newly sleeved Friday 8/24/12...went back to work Monday 8/27 for the first day of school. Ive lost 36 lbs in 6 weeks. I've had no problems with the sleeve other than the GAS issue. Life is great! just trying to make it to the under 200 mark....
  48. fateggplant
    fateggplant
  49. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hello and welcome to all of the newcomers. I haven't been sleaved yet, but I have found this to be a very good place and source for information. Here's to better health.
  50. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Hi to the newbies, I'm 6 months out from being sleeved, we have a thread on hair (b/c we all know how important it is to us!) poke around and ask any questions if they come up. Welcome!
  51. jehinman
    jehinman
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Julie and I am from Parsons, Kansas. I started at 239 pounds. I am losing slower than I would like and having problems with nausea and vomiting. That being said I still think that I made the best decision as I can walk stairs without labored breathing, and I feel better overall. I am currently at 192 pounds and my desired weight is 140-150. I was very glad to see this group and will keep checking and updating this blog. Good Luck to everyone.
  52. queentrinae08
    queentrinae08
    Hello,
    My name is Leslie. I am currently in Orlando. I am considering getting the surgery. I have always been on the thicker side but it became an issue during my second year of college. My weight has now become the source of unhappiness. I hide behind my smile and positive attitude when I'm around friends and family but behind closed doors I am truly unhappy. I am hoping that by getting this surgery I can become the person I know I can be.
  53. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hello Julie and Leslie. welcome to the group. I have gain tons of information here and there on this site as well as this group. I can tell you. Just feel free to ask anything you like. You will always get an response. Take care.
  54. Thoneytt
    Thoneytt
    Hello all,

My name is Trina and I'm in Sacramento, CA. My current weight is 242 and I'm 5'4. I am scheduled for surgery on Monday...completed my pre-op today. Tomorrow, I start my liquid diet for the next two days. I am so excited for the surgery as this has been a long time coming.

I am happy that I found this group. It's good that I have people to relate to in more ways than one.
  55. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Welcome!
  56. monchel
    monchel
    Hello ladies.. I'm 26 a wife and mother of 2 little girls (Deja 6, Jayla 4). I'm from New Orleans, La and I currently weight 276 and Im having my Sleeve done today Oct 16, 2012. I,m actually sitting in the hospital typing this. Excited and Nervous not scared to loss the weight. Nervous of how I will look overall not really worried about the skin issue that most people seem to have issues with but more worried about seeing myself smaller being that I have always been a thick girl. I've been so comfortable and confident with myself for so long I'm worried that I won't like the new me!!!1
  57. Ladylucksbestfriend
    Ladylucksbestfriend
    Hi Everyone! I'm Traci living in Central Fl (orlando area) by way of Jackson Mississippi and weigh 203 and am currently doing my pre-op diet for my surgery on Thursday of this week. I'm excited and can't wait to share information on what I learn and to learn about yalls experiences.
  58. seerphyllis2
    seerphyllis2
    Hello everyone,

My name is Phyllis I live in cordova tn. I have just been approved for surgery. I will be doing lab work and having other test done then we will chose a date. I hope before the year is over. My heaviest weight was 310 and I am currently at 260. I am excited and nervous as well. I am a Surgical nurse so that's even more pressure. I am glad I found this forum. I see people talking about hair loss. I have sista locs and that is a concern for me. how much time did you guys take off before returning to work?
  59. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    @Seerphylllis, Welome to the forum first off. I think you should ask the nurses group how long it took for them to go back to work they would know better than we would. I don't know anyone on here who has mentioned sister locs, but there is a few hair threads on here. I haven't had any hair loss yet and I am JUST over a hundred days out.

@everyone else welcome to the forum thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves. Though many people have not I can tell you all, I encourage you all to really take the time to introduce yourselves. I met so many great people on here that I talk to many of them via AIM, Facebook, Email, texting and we keep each other encouraged. We talk about everything not just weight loss stuff. You will be surprised how much your journey will take you when you have others to share it with. A lot of people on these forum are really well educated, and have given me advice for ventures I have in my own life. I am learning so much more than just about weight loss. I am venturing to my own business and I have people on here helping me with it and answering questions I have. I have met like I said some great ladies and gents I look forward to meeting more. I say don't be shy really make the most of what your doing. God puts people in your lives for a reason. Each one of you gives me motivation even if I have not had the time to personally speak with you, you all serve as a reminder of where I am trying to be.
  60. wtiger17470
    wtiger17470
    Hey everyone I'm Tyeisha Sims originally from Chas, SC now living in El Paso, hubster is military. I've wanted the sleeve for as long as I can remember. Researched it for years and I'm finally getting it 10-29-12. I look forward to sharing experience with the group as well as learning.
  61. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Hola chica, join the party.
  62. mekac1290
    mekac1290
    Hi Everyone

Im Meka from Dallas, TX I am researching having the gasrtic sleeve done in Mexico because my insurance dont cover it. Anyone who has done the same I would love to here how your journey is going.
  63. hope4me
    hope4me
    HI wtger17470 and meka1290. welcome to the group. I'm awaiting my surgery, I look forward to the day. I hope we can all be of help to each other.
  64. Mesmerized22
    Mesmerized22
    Hey Everybody!! I'm Sophia from Queens, NY. I recently received the news my insurance has approved for me to have the sleeve and I couldn't be happier. I'm now so anxious to get a date OMG!! I don't have the family support I wished for but my mind has been made up for a while now. After going through all the pre op testings only made me more determined to do it. As much as I love my mom watching her body deteriorate and becoming a prisoner in her body because of her weight only makes me want to throw myself on the table more and more. I want to live the life I know that's out there for me. I'm so grateful to have found this forum I can't tell ya!
  65. HeyMo135
    HeyMo135
    Hello!
    I'm Mo..from VA. Just starting the process a few appts over the next few weeks. I think i've decided to go thru with it...but i think change my mind daily lol.
    Glad to have found this group..i hope all are doing well!
  66. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hi Sophia & Mo Glad you have found your way here. This is a great place to be if you are planning on sleeving or just wanting information. I'm still waiting on my turn but there are plenty here that have already startd their journey. So feeel free to jump right in.
  67. luvle1gh
    luvle1gh
    Hello all, my name is Leigh from Philly, I've recently had my sleeve done on 10/22/2012, so far so good I'm truly excited ,and happy I did it, like mesmerized22 my mother is not as supportive as I would hoped she would be, she struggles with obesity and a variety of illnesses. I did not want to fall into the same struggles that she has, I basically wanted to break this generational curse that has plagued my family for soooo long. I haven't always been overweight, after my fourth child 19years ago I've been overweight, no longer willing to stay trapped in this body after being diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure a year ago I decided to take a stand. I'm hoping my journey will inspire my mother whom i luv soooo very much to take a chance and live longer.... Good morning everyone I pray all is well with each and everyone of you...Blessings
  68. tabby38
    tabby38
    Hello everyone, my name is Tabatha and I am from Maryland. I was sleeved on 10/2/2012. So far the experience has been very challenging but great! I weighed 288.5 on the day of surgery and today I weigh 265. I have two children ages 22 and 20 who are very supportive.
  69. vminnie
    vminnie
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Valorie from charlotte at this time I'm at my all time high in weight, so getting married 9 years ago was my downfall, we made really bad decision as a couple with food choices. So I have tired every diet thinkable, and it ends up the same lose a little and gain a lot. So,I hope as my body starts to change my mind will keep up. A few time my Dr. has said that I was borderline diabetic, blood pressure is excellent for my weight. My journey offically starts on 10/31 that's when I start my liquid diet real nervous about this. Pray for me please.
  70. srj1129
    srj1129
    Hi my name is SRJ1129 and I am from philadelphia PA I am having surgery on 11/01/2012 at first I was scheduled on 10/26/2012 but that was chaged due to a rise in my blood pressure. I am a type 2 diabetic who is insulin dependent. I was put on a pre opt diet for 2 weeks I lost about 20lbs now I am really ready.I am a wife and mother I have 1 daughter and a grandson on the way in February 2013. My husband is very supportive also all the ladies in the Dr office are very very supportive. I pray each day that every thing goes well .
  71. mztj1999
    mztj1999
    Hi all, my is Traci and Im in Santa Clara, Ca by way of Chicago. I was sleeved on 10/3/12 and have no regrets at all. My highest weight was 237lbs, 225 day of surgery. Today Im 205, still learning how to eat and when. Im 42yo divorced mother of two boys 22 and 19, my oldest just made me a grandma last week. And I chose the sleeve to improve my health so that I can be around for my little Noah.

Im glad I found this group as I know we AA's face different challenges on so many levels. Lets rock our sleeves together!!
  72. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Welcome ladies, thanks for taking time to introduce yourself and let us know about you and your journey. Hopefully we can all be here together and learn from each others weight loss. There are many beautiful people in this forum who are a pleasure to speak with and they give input if they know the answer or give you the best advice they can. Feel free to create threads and get involved. I try my best as well as many others to stay active an answer questions you may have. Again thank you for taking time to introduce yourselves and like mztj said let us ROCK OUR SLEEVES TOGETHER!!
  73. hope4me
    hope4me
    Welcome all of you. This is truly a great place to be.
  74. taeinga
    taeinga
    Welcome all!!!!
  75. dreamsleever
    dreamsleever
    Just joining. From Michigan but living in Kentucky right now. I am a Zeta. I haven't been approved yet but I am so ready.
  76. dreamsleever
    dreamsleever
    Just joining and can't wait until my surgery is approved
  77. 1hotdiva
    1hotdiva
    Hi everyone new to this site!! Had my re-birth or lets say sleeve done on July 10th 12. I am a single parent, hard worker, native of St Louis Mo and lookin forward to chatiting and making new friends
  78. ebony
    ebony
    Hey Lovelies,

Greetings from London. I hope to not cause offence but i wanted to know what the sleeve was like for a black woman so i thought, why not join this group and interact with people. I am 320 pounds and I am hoping to lose weight. I am due to have surgery in a few days (oh my)) . if anyone wants to be friends that will be great as i would like to know ig you are able to lose weight quickly as i keep being told that i would not loose as much as women of other races. nice to connect with all if you.
  79. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    @ebony, Welcome to the AA group, and as far as weight loss it varies for everyone. I am down 52lbs and each day I am dropping, and I am 4 months out. People who are heavier starting out lose more than people who are not as heavy. Also for many of the AA women I talk to we seem to have about the same amount of weight loss with diet and exercise as non-AA's it is more overall studies say we lose less than non-AA's. I had the same concerns as you about AA losing vs. other races which is why I created the group to get a cultural perspective. I also did some of my own research on the issue and looked further into that (posted it in the group) from what I am seeing is that a lot of our weight is not actually fat and that AA's have denser muscle mass and a greater total muscle tissue weight than whites. The recent article i read stated "most equations that predict relative body fat were derived from predominantly white samples, biological variation between the races in these body-composition indexes has practical significance. Systematic error can result in the inaccurate estimation of the relative body fat of blacks, and therefore of definitions of obesity, if these inherent differences are ignored" A lot of those BMI, Body fat calculators do not account for the extra muscle mass we have, nor our heavier skeletal weight. I was all happy I purchased a fancy scale to tell me my body fat, muscle percentage to find out those types of scales are really not predictable because it is telling me my body fat % and muscle % as if I were a non-AA, so now I don't even really care for it. We tend to think we are more overweight than we actually are. In what I GATHERED was that we are not necessarily losing less than whites we just don't have as much fat to lose than whites. You can't compare a non-AA that is 5'5", 270 lbs to a AA who is the same height and weight because the AA is going to lose less than the non-AA because the AA has denser muscle mass and more muscle tissue so technically though they both weight the same they do not weight the same because of the AA's has more skeletal weight, and denser muscle mass which in return could account for an additional let's say 14 lbs that is part of their composition so of course the non-AA will lose more. Which explains why many AA's can look good at heavier weights than non-AA'S. Well hope that sheds some light. for black women, risk OF HEALTH issues don't increase until a BMI reached was at 33. Due to our weight is distributed more in our thighs, hips and butts it also helps with health factors.
  80. DANA H
    DANA H
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Dana from the big NY. I am looking forward to my sleeve surgery on Dec 18. I ahave heard good things about the surgery. I am a former Lab Band patient and think this is a better choice. Looking forward to hearing from you guys about your experiences so far.
  81. kebo7605
    kebo7605
    Hello Everybody!!!!

My name is Kim, I'm 33 years old. I've been fighting with the fat demon since I was BORN. I've been on and off diets, my smallest was maybe 185, my biggest 265. I have noooooo clue how much I weight, I'm actually really scared to get on the scale in fear I may jump off a ledge. I have an appointment on Tuesday in Philly just for the informational session....I'm excited and nervous all the same time.
  82. lupusbutterfly42
    lupusbutterfly42
    Hello Everyone,
    I am a 41 yr old young lady and Im interrested in having the gastric sleeve. I live in Ft Lauderdale, Fl. and would love to interact with individuals that could pass on some do's and dont's and where to get information about what to bring etc. I havent set a date yet because I am just getting my nerves up again to try and move forward. I plan on having the surgery with DR Mario Almanza...I am very scared, but oh so ready ( if that makes any sense).....
  83. LadiWobs
    LadiWobs
    Hello Everyone, My name is Ladi I am currently on my pre-op liquid diet. I weigh in at 254. I am 29 about to be the big 30 (Jan 5) my surgery date is Dec 12. I am located DMV area
  84. tbrownperkins
    tbrownperkins
    hello my name is candy, I am a 50 year old African american waiting to have gastric sleeve surgery.
    I am also a heart patients waiting to have open heart surgery. is there anyone else out there with a heart condOrion waiting to have the surgery
  85. gabrielle48
    gabrielle48
    Hello my name is Anthony and I am 48 years old African American Male who lives in Orlando, Fl. I was sleeved on 11/12/12 along with my wife. we both are doing great. Its three weeks post op for me and i am 30 lbs lighter and it is exciting. I am looking forward to what is ahead and so is my wife. we did it together in TJ Mexico with Dr. Garcia is it was a great experience. I would do it again in a minute! It nice to see so many beautiful black women who care about their health. You have to take care of yourself first, before you can take care of anyone else. A GOAL WITHOUT A PLAN IS A WISH! Good luck ladies and God bless. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  86. euvette
    euvette
    Hello Ladies my name is Eugenia, I live in Little Rock, AR. Im a newbie here, I just had surgery. 9 days ago and down 15 lbs so far. Looking to lose maybe a 100 more.
  87. mspumkin
    mspumkin
    Hello Everyone, My name is Pumkin I am currently on my pre-op liquid diet. I weigh in at 239. I am 40 yrs old my surgery date is Dec 17. I am located Ohio area I guess this is my birthday present my birthday is Dec 22, yay yay yay I wanted to have a 40 birthday party I just did not like the way I looked by the time I turn 42 I should be ready
  88. Anewme74
    Anewme74
    Hi I'm 38 years old from CT, I just had the sleeve on Dec 6th, 2012. Came home in a lot of discomfort from the gas but it has subsided for the most part. THANK GOODNESS!!!! My starting weight which is my highest weight is 272 and I'm 5'5". I look forward to my second chance at life. Carrying this weight really has put a damper on my life. I barely go out, only when there's a function and I HAVE to go, I don't do amusement parks. Let me rephrase, I don't get on the rides unless it has a big bench seat, I can't wait to get on the airplane and fit comfortably in the seats and the list goes on and on. My weight goal is 145. I can't wait to be overall healthy and I'm ready for the rest of what the world has to offer.
  89. movingforwardinlife
    movingforwardinlife
    Hello everyone im Viola.I got sleeved on 12/3/12 and lost 21lbs already i feel great, cant wait to start working out.......Me and my sis started this journey together and it is the best decision we ever made.hope to meet everyone soon ttyl
  90. cassandra
    cassandra
    hi,im cassandra im from fla.im 32 yrs old with 3 kidds..i have diabeties and hypertension...my weight is 240 pds,im 5"0 feet tall.im more of an apple shape.my goal weight is 130 pds.but my height i suppose to 115 i dont want to be that small.i want to be sleeved because i want to watch my kidds get grown and become a grandma..i all want to live longer and have a healthier live without the diabeties and hypertension..im going to Mexico todo my surgery with Dr.Alamaza.
  91. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Welcome ladies, if you have any questions please feel free to ask or PM (Private Message) me
  92. Browneyedskinnygirl
    Browneyedskinnygirl
    Hi there my sistas and brothers!!! I was sleeve nov 28 2011... It's been over a year!!! Thus was this best decision I made in life. Only thing is my daughter and I was supposed to have it together. It was her dream and she wanted use to do it together. I was approve via my insurance and she was not. I guess due to her age. She's 17 now ane was 16 at the time. Well I've bust my tail to get this money together and we are traveling to Mexico in the 19th!!! Days away!!! Her surgery is with Dr. Almanza... She's excited and I am too!!! I had been having a hard time with her depression and deeing my success in losing the weight. It made me feel really bad as a parent. I'm where I want to be I weight 165lbs and if I lose too much more u will look sick lol... My white fiends say that I look like I'm 130lbs. I'm a black women with curves so that really was a compliment. I'm now finding my happiness in this works mans after my daughter take down a few pound I will be so happy!!! I just want her to smile. She's so beautiful... Too pretty to be so unhappy... So wish us luck y'all!!! By the way I live in Dallas, Texas but I'm moving to Tuscon, Arizona at the first if the year!!!
  93. new_me
    new_me
    Hello all, I am 45, married with a son who's 13. I will be sleeved tomorrow and I could not be more excited to begin this new chapter in my life! I love this site! There are some amazingly supportive people on here and I am just blown away by the genuine concern that is demonstrated. I an usually a hermit of sorts, very private and I never thought I would join a support group. I realized that no man is an island and I needed to connect with people who truly understand this journey. So I am looking forward to the exchange of thoughts, tips and ideas. Be blessed, new_me.
  94. thinnerme
    thinnerme
    Hello all! I'm Aimee, 25, from the Dallas, TX area. I was sleeved on 11/12/12 and I'm currently down about 30lbs. Best decision I made in my life! Two weeks pre-op I weighed in at 284, @ 5'3 but now I feel great and excited to continue this weight loss journey!
  95. vmb
    vmb
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to this group. I have surgery Jan 31st with Dr. Q. I hope everyone had a great Christmas!
  96. Newme2013
    Newme2013
    Hi Y'all!!

My surgery date is 2/16/13 with Doctor Quinones and the days can't go by fast enough!! So glad I found this group!!
  97. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Hello ladies I spoke with my fellow Dr.Q sleevers and trust me the time flies and at 4k trust me you got a steal of a deal before the years end. I will be in touch with you ladies and welcome to the group.
  98. licia
    licia
    Hello All, I live in Atlanta, married, mom of 3, and was recently sleeved on 12/27/12. Simply looking to learn, share and connect with you wonderful ladies.
  99. ThruThickNThin
    ThruThickNThin
    Hi all...I was sleeved on 12/26/12 I am taking it one day at a time. I get stronger every day and continue to lose weight like I was doing on the pre op diet. By this time next year I hope to be at goal weight. The sleeve sure feels funny for me. I get that restriction when I try to swallow too much liquid at once. So I am figuring the volume I can swallow. Also drinking is much easier sitting up straight then lounging in recliner with bad posture for me. I bought 2 ounce and 3 ounce solo cups to help me with portion control and too keep track of the volume of liquids I consume. I am already under 200 pounds so I know the loss will go slower for me. But if I can work that 2-5 pounds a week I will be satisfied with that. Getting in the proper amount of protein from liquid shakes is the hardest part. I am able to consume a larger amount of liquid each day. Walking helps remind the body to burn fat not muscle so I try to stay active.So I get on my treadmill and turn on Apple TV and watch my favorite video jams and before you know it I've been on the machine 20 to 30 minutes. Keep on keepin on y'all!
  100. Newme2013
    Newme2013
    Hi new sleevers! Congratulations on taking that big step. I am so proud of you. Please keep us posted on your progress with your new sleeve. My date for my sleeve is February 16th and it can't get here soon enough for me. TTNT you sound like your off to a good start and so do you Licia. I'm also starting under 200 lb but it's still going to be a heck of a journey for me as I have been fighting my weight for the past 20 years without success. My mom died last year with HBP, diabetes and renal failure and that would probably be my lot if it were not for VSG.

You post oppers you are forging the way for us pre-oppers and I am so happy to hear and see all your successes and challenges. Please keep the stories of progress coming. It's giving me the hope I've been searching for all my life and the excitement and happy anticipation to get through the next 7 weeks.
  101. Vickie
    Vickie
    Hey Everyone...My name is Vickie and I am getting sleeved on February 18...I am a single mother of 1 daughter..I currently live in Jackson, MS. I am so excited to be here and share this journey with you all...
  102. Newme2013
    Newme2013
    Welcome Vickie. I'm just a couple days ahead of you on 2/16/13. Its both exciting and scary!
  103. makeupbar
    makeupbar
    I just had surgery on Monday in Atlanta. I am doing very well so far. This is my first day home been going up down steps. Walked to mailbox--no complaints
  104. Loveme2013
    Loveme2013
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new here. My name is Nicola and I am from Phila, PA. I am 49 and mother and grandmother. I will have my surgery with Dr Almanza, March 1st. I just wanted to say something and I also wanted to find out about others who have had the sleeve. I am glad to have found this site, hoping to find new people and possibly new friends. I have a lot of support in my family. I am doing this because of health and personal goals that I would like to accomplish in the future. I have lots of grands that I want to share myself with. I am loving myself and it feels great but it will feel better after my surgery. I pray for all that will be having their's soon and other who are already sleeved.
  105. mzjones7
    mzjones7
    Hello Everyone! I hope all is well! I have made the decision to be sleeved. Currently in the process of all the pre-operative diagnostics testing. So far so good. I reside in Mansfield, TX. I am so excited about this journey, getting to know others, sharing thoughts/words of wisdom and most of all encouragement. I am doing this for me andmy health. I have 2 teenangers that are very active in sports. Let see about me... BMI 47 - height 5'7" - weight 297 - health condition : high blood pressure. Wishing all the best and looking forward to chatting and encouraging you all. mzjones7
  106. winningbylosing
    winningbylosing
    Hello , I haven't been sleeved yet, hoping for February 28. I am here hoping to find information on what i can expect that my dr, can not tell me or by some measure understand.
  107. sonyasq22
    sonyasq22
    Hi everybody, I was sleeved on 1/8/13. I have no real complaints other than gas pain. I am really struggling with getting my fluids in and I am not a shake person. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have to do liquid diet for 21 days.
  108. NiniCakes
    NiniCakes
    Hi All! My name is Nini and i'll be 29 years young on the 30th of this month. I have a 21 month old son Noah, we're from NyC and i'm pre-op (just beggining the journey to get a surgery date) my appointment with the wls is next week Wednesday. I'm 5'3, 270lbs, and type 2 diabetic. So I want to make this change for my life now before I turn 30 and make a commitment to a healthy lifestyle so that i can be an example to my son. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's journey!
  109. smith0679
    smith0679
    Hello All. My name is Ryan and I was sleeved on November 19, 2012. Since then I have lost almost 90lbs!!! I can really see and feel the results! This is the best chioce that I have made.
  110. Christian
    Christian
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Rasheka I live in Michigan and was sleeved on November 19, 2012. I am really enjoying the fact that my big muffin top is shrinking. I have had a few issues but I am working threw them and ready to get that cury figure back. I will be 40 this year and want to be the 40 and fabulous female I feel that I am inside.

I was looking for reciepes to use and found this site and so glad I did. Reading some of the post I want to say thank you for encourging those that are thinking about doing this and for those that are getting ready be encouraged.
  111. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Welcome everyone
  112. Valerie B
    Valerie B
    Hi Everybody my name is Valerie, I live In Delaware I'm 34 yrs of age and about half way through the process with a couple appointments left. I am so excited and nervous but very anxious to have this procedure. I have been heavy since my teens. and have tried everything in the book to loose this weight. I'm so glad I found this cite I love hearing the success stories and seeing the support that is given here.
  113. takia04
    takia04
    Hi Everyone. My name Is Ta'Kia. I am 26 years old from D.C. Like most, I have been dealing with my weight my whole life. In 2008, I lost 65 lbs (got down to 165) and of course I have gained it all back plus 50lb!! I am in the beginning stages of the process (psychologist, nutritionist, ect.) so I have some time. I am told I have to wait three months with my insurance. I've only told my mother, grandmother and boyfriend about my decision about the weight loss surgery. My mother and grandmother does not agree with my decision to have the surgery but I have to do what is best for me. I am just glad my boyfriend of 8 years is supporting me on this journey
  114. Siddeeqah
    Siddeeqah
    Hello everyone my name is Siddeeqah pronounced SA-DE-KA..I reside in Roanoke, VA...I'm currenlty in the phase of loosing 10pds more and awaiting for my approval...I have been heavy all thru my teens..started having children and the weight didnt really budge so I have constantly tried to get this weight off b/c all it has done is hender my health a little bit..(sleep apnea)...so im looking forward too really getting this process going even though i kinda started..with the slim fast...but anywho...enough of my babbling....
  115. demkidsmom
    demkidsmom
    Hi AA sleeved, my name is Ann and I live in Cedar Hill, Tx. I was sleeved Feb 4th and I'm so glad I did it. I My heaviest weight was 332, before surgery I was down to 315. Six days out n I'm down 7lbs. Fyi I'm 5'8 and set my goal for 170/175. I really fought myself about this but I know I made the perfect choice for me. When I first made the GS choice the nurse tried to convince me to do the lap band. Uh no if I have to come back on a regular basis I knew I would fail. My only real struggle was saggy skin, but if I'm correct in my small research black snapsback. I really did this as a kick start. I love working out I needed something to help the lbs. I'm so stoked about my future. Good luck and congrats to all. I'm grateful I found this site and this group. I really want/need ppl I can relate to. Thank you so much for reaching out to women of color.
  116. Truecarm
    Truecarm
    Hello my name is carmella and I live in Cincinnati Ohio, I had my sleeved on Feb 6th. I struggled with my weight all my live and decide on the sleeve I was just tried of all the yo yo diets that didn't work. Getting this done was the best thing I done, I weight 285lbs when I start this journey, now I'm down to 250lbs, my goal is 175lbs, not trying to get down to skinny size but size I'm feel right and health to me.
  117. thirty30
    thirty30
    Hello everyone my name is Jihan and I am from Louisville KY. I just had my surgery a week ago and was glad to stumble upon a site where I can read other peoples ideas, struggles, and triumphs. I am so afraid and glad at the same time to have had the surgery. I'm ready to start my new journey into becoming a better healthier me. I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and I hope that as my walk continues I will be able to maybe help someone else with something that I post. Good luck everyone. God Bless
  118. Mrs. AKA
    Mrs. AKA
    Hi I am Mrs. AKA. sleeved on Election Day 11/6/12 and its now 4 months later and lost 30 pounds. Absolutely love my body. I started at 198 pounds for a 5'1 person. Now I am 162.i work in the health care field and I have inspired so many obese women to loose weight. prior to surgery they were trying to talk me out of having surgery. Now they see the results and they are stunned!
  119. Sophotia
    Sophotia
    Hey Im Alicia.... Sleeved 7/24/12.... Have lost 65 so for... 35 more to go. I hate typing on my iPhone ... If u have any questions for me just mssg me. Glad to be here with y'all
  120. brekia2000
    brekia2000
    Hi all my name is Shakia. I am so excited I found this board. I should get my surgery date next week. I am a little nervous mostly about the first two weeks after surgery. I can't wait to suck up knowledge from all of you.
  121. bchica
    bchica
    Hi my name is Tamara and I had VSG in Bogota, Colombia on 10/1/12. I am down 44lbs starting weight was 266.6. I feel like it has been slow going for me. I carry my weight is hips and I think that area is taking a minute to catch up!
  122. swatson
    swatson
    hello my nmae is shelia i'm in dallas, 5days out till surgery,not scared just tired of this liquid diet! i weigh 240lbs and i hope my transition goes smooth.i can't wait to start anew!
  123. kenya
    kenya
    Hi my name is Kenya, I live in Chicago, IL. I have not been sleeved yet. Hopefully when I return to the doctor on March 15th all my test results will be ok and ill get my surgery date. So everyone give me all the advice on good shakes and purree meals.
  124. 50Faye50
    50Faye50
    Hello everyone my name is Faye! I am a newbie here - my surgery is scheduled for March 21st. I am excited and nervous all at once, but am very interested in the perspectives of other African American women. Those who have begun their journeys and those like me - on our paths. I look forward to sharing my experience as well!
  125. Ossa
    Ossa
    Hello everyone, my name is Ossa, I am a 38 year old mom of 2 and I live in Grand Prairie TX. I am scheduled to have surgery 4/23/2013. I am glad for this forum ans excited to embark on this journey. I weight 303 lb.
  126. Danimedi
    Danimedi
    Hi guys!
    My name is Deedee. I just got my surgery date for 4/23/13. I am excited and nervous. I hoping to eat less and lose the weight. I've read about people saying that they are not a success story. I'm hoping to be one. This is my last resort... I feel if I don't do something now, I will only get bigger with age and with medical complications from carrying all this weight.
  127. shrnsleeve
    shrnsleeve
    Hi, my name is Sharon. I am having gastric sleeve 5/27/13, in Mexico. I am also excited and nervous as well. I just want a healthier life with less pain from arthritis pain, and to live more actively. I'll be 46 this year and people always tell me I don't look my age when I tell them I have grown children, and I always reply that I wish I felt as young as I look. So I am looking forward to feeling a lot better after the weight begins to drop
  128. NewMe_KCB
    NewMe_KCB
    Hello All,
    Thanks to the creative minds who started this blog and allow women with similiar/common lifestyles and/or body make ups that can be mutually discussed among this blog. I appreciate the effort placed and look forward to learning and sharing with each of you.

My name is Kimberly and I reside in Memphis, TN. I am a wife and mother of 3. I work in corporate America in the Healthcare Industry and decided to make this committment in June/July of last year. I knew this is something that I wanted done and had to be done if I want to watch my daughters and other family members grow, mature and enjoy life. i was diagnosed with hypertension 7 years ago, and it has not gotten better-steady but never cured. That is one of the main reasons why I am pursing this process. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
  129. NaturalRadiance
    NaturalRadiance
    Hi everyone. My name is Latoya and I live in South Carolina. I was born and raised in the South so southern comfort food for most families is daily meals for ours. I was always large, even so from birth, but a bad diet and lack of exercise had definitely kept me large. My weight ballooned out of control in the past year due to an immobilizing injury but I was obese before the injury. I have decided to get the sleeve to save my life. I have always been confident and comfortable with my weight, that is until it started affecting my health. I now am on medication for hypertension and have a maternal predisposition to diabetes. I have to change my life or lose my life and I chose to live. I pray that this journey is just what I'm expecting it to be and I pray that I will soon be renewed.
  130. Waliyah
    Waliyah
    Hello to all. My name is Waliyah and I had my gastric sleeve on March 12, 2013, I have lost 15lbs so far but it has seem to stall there. I do exercise by walking which is all that can be done right not, did anyone else have this problem? or am I rushing it?
  131. Dimplesluvyah
    Dimplesluvyah
    Hello. I had gastric sleeve on March 27, 2013, I was banded August 2008 and as a result of gastric band complication I had to have band revision and decided on the gastric sleeve.
  132. iamrandi
    iamrandi
    Hello. I am going to be sleeved on April 13, 2013. Thanks everyone for posting. It gives me insight on what to expect and do before and after the surgery. I'm a 45 year old single mother of 2 with health issues beginning....i thought now is the time to get this done before I end up having more issues and more weight to lose. Glad this site is here and this group is within it. I'll be posting more during this journey for any new people joining to give you more perspective on this journey. Started my liquid diet today and have to say I'm not hungry at all....these Advantedge carb control shakes are keeping me full along with a lot of water. Anyway, take care African-American Sleevers and I'll post again soon.....
  133. dartis2000
    dartis2000
    Hello My name is Debbie and I was sleeved on April 1, 2013. I'm glad there is a site for us. I will make sure all my friends join.
  134. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Welcome ladies and gentlemens.
  135. sleeve326
    sleeve326
    Hi, my name is Gloria and I am 8 days post-op sleeve. I had to stay in the hospital for 4 days because I ended up getting a sinus infection and all the drainage was in my stomach...so disgusted. I am doing so much better now. Any advise you guys may want to share?
  136. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Hello ladies and gentlemen I know I introduced myself but I wanted to update everyone I started at 273 I am at 188 and I had surgery on July 6th of 2012. I lost over 10 sizes and I wear a medium or Large depending on the sizes. Designer brands us AA's might be a bit bigger in. I know by BMI standards I am still overweight but i feel good and I love the size I am I am now a 12 but i can fit a 14 it all depends. I have not had any aftercare either since surgery due to I have no insurance right now but I am happy and healthy from what I can see. Take care I will keep you all updated.
  137. NellieFL
    NellieFL
    Hi Everyone. My nickname is Nellie and I am in the pre-surgery clearance phase. I hope to have my schedule date sometime in early May. I want to celebrate my 50th day (June 14th) with the knowledge that my life is just beginning again! I'm at my highest weight right now of @ 320lbs. and just disappointed that I'm not able to enjoy my life to the extent that I would without the weight. I have so much to be grateful for and so much living yet to live, I cannot and will not allow this weight to keep me on the sidelines of my life anymore! Watch out - here I come!
  138. Dazzlyn
    Dazzlyn
    My name is monik I currently live in Lancaster, ca. Will be starting my orientation soon for gastric sleeve converting from lap band.
  139. Sanctuary
    Sanctuary
    Hello everyone. My name is Yolanda from Houston Texas. I haven't had the surgery yet but I am ready. My employer just changed to a new insurance and so I will have to be a self pay. I entertained the thought of going to Mexico but I am scared as I have no support and negaholics all around me who have shared nothing but hypotheticals and supposes that have convinced me to not mention the surgery any more. Which is sad because family and friends are supposed to have your back. I'm 40, 5'2 and 224 lbs. I have no medical issues except I snore like an old man and have recently been given a cpap machine.which I know it is because of my size G breast and excess weight. My parents are both diabetic and have high pressure. I don't want to be strung out on medications... I need advice on physicians and some cheerleaders.
  140. sleeve326
    sleeve326
    HI My name is Gloria and I am from Alabama. I had my sleeve done on April 1st. I
    Have been doing great. I am able to drink water and no nausea. I have my first post ol appt on Wednesday and I am excited. I want how much weight I have lost. I will keep you posted and will have pics soon.
  141. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Welcome all. I am now 188lbs. From 273. Not even a year out but I feel great. I wear a 6 in panties and a 12 in pants. It is still amazing filling out forms putting mt weight out of the 200's. If you ever need a friend hit me on here with a number.
  142. curlycheryle
    curlycheryle
    I have just joined the site and am interested in how the sleeve works for African Americans? My name is Cheryle. I am 46 years young and should be scheduled for surgery around August or September. Just waiting on insurance approval.
  143. kagomechina
    kagomechina
    Hi everyone. My name is Victoria. Im 33,5'6 and 274lbs. and live in the Sacramento area. Im having my sleeve on 05/31/2013 in Mexico and sooo thrilled. Thanks for adding me to the group!
  144. kagomechina
    kagomechina
    @Sanctuary if you need info on surgery in Mexico holla at cha girl. Im a self pay. the website im using is weightlossagents.com you can see videos on youtube with testimonials as well. I did a lot of research on this company and its good. Its only 4800 for the sleeve but it dosent include airfare. hit me up on here or facebook at https://www.facebook.com/victoriawong07?ref=tn_tnmn
  145. kenyatte
    kenyatte
    Hello, my is Cokey. I relocated to San Diego 5 years ago from Michigan. A Michiganian to my heart. My surgery date is April 23, 2013 @ 9:20 am.
  146. MRSC37
    MRSC37
    Just wanted to say HELLO ! to the group! and introduce myself. Looking for some people to become friends with on this sight. I'm from Nashville. As of today my paperwork just got sent to the insurance company today!! super excited! wife and mother of 3 girls. looking forward to take this journey and looking to learn from others and even help other with moral support and friendship! So, Thanks
  147. MRSC37
    MRSC37
    Sorry, Forgot to tell you my name LOL !! My name is Tiffany !
  148. mzposie
    mzposie
    Hello, I'm new to the group. I had my sleeve done on 1/25/13. When I started on this journey back in July 2012 I was a whopping 410 lbs! I am now down to 340! And I have to say I feel and look so much better. Once I actually get under 300, I don't think I'll know what to do with myself

My goal is to get down to 170 - 160 pounds. I want to keep my curves, just in the right places instead of all over the place! I've been thinking of getting a trainer to help me try to avoid hanging skin. So far I'm loosing about 10 lbs per month, which is pretty good I guess. I'm taking my sorority sister's advise and joined this group to help give me ideas of how to stay active. I have to admit I get frustrated at times because I miss certain foods like pizza and cheeseburgers (red meat is no longer a friend of mine). But I have to keep reminding myself that being healthy is more important than eating junk food! Although, I have had the occasional cookie...somethings you just can't let go of .
  149. MarshaD
    MarshaD
    Hello all my African-American Sleevers! I've been hanging around this site for a while since I decided to get the sleeve in March. My insurance has a really high deductible and a lot of time wasting hoops that I have to go through so I decided on self-pay in Mexico. I feel very confident in the surgeon that I chose. Dr. Ariel Ortiz @ Obesity Control Center in Tijuana, Mx.

Currently live in Sacramento, CA; I just turned 34, mother of a 6 year old son who I absolutely can not keep up with. My desire to have another child is what motivated me to finally get the surgery. To have the energy for 2 kids I know I have to get the weight off.

I am a reformed WLS hater, I just couldn't understand why I couldn't just diet and exercise to get the weight off. This is the first time I've ever had hope and could see a future beyond morbid obesity, so I surrender to the surgery. I have yo-yoed a few times but mostly its been a steady climb to nearly 300 lbs with some fast gains after a divorce and having a child.

I've always carried my weight well so I'm not exactly sure what my goal weight should be. The smallest I ever was an adult was 170 and I was barely an adult @ 19 years old. At 170 I looked 140 (so glad to be an AA). We carry it, but we do carry it well!

Highest Weight: 290 - March 2013
    Pre-Op Liquid Diet: 276 Current
    Goal Weight ~165-175

Surgery in exactly 1 week!!! So glad to meet all you AA sleevers and blessed to have the support!
  150. 619Diva
    619Diva
    Hey Everyone, My name is Asha (long A) :-) I'm from San Diego, CA. My heaviest weight was 248 now I'm @ 240 & I'm 5 "5. I'm not sure what my goal weight is but my only concern with being sleeved is loosing 2 much weight. As an AA woman I like being thick but I need it 2 be in a healthy range I don't want 2 look sick or 2 skinny. I have not been sleeved yet but I'll be so exstactic just 2 get a surgery date. I've read a lot of stories & view plenty of testimonies and many of them sound like my own. This AA forum seems 2 be the place for me I am so looking forward 2 the positive words, the encouragement & a ton of useful information. For everyone who has been sleeved & the ones that's waiting like me "GOOD LUCK" on your journey & may you continue 2 be Blessed.
  151. B3Sassy
    B3Sassy
    Hello everyone, my name is Tiffany. I'm from Burlington, NJ, I am 39 turning 40 next month, I am a mother of three and a wife of 16yrs. I have just received my dates, my pre admin is may 23rd and surgery date is June 12th. This site has been a life saver. I've learned so much and it has calmed alot of fears I had about being sleeved but I just believe that this is the best decision I've made regarding myself.
  152. Lalaangeleyes
    Lalaangeleyes
    Hi everyone- My name is Diana and I live in Los Angeles. My excitement, fears, nervousness and journey begins on June 14th. This site has been very helpful. Between finding the best protein shakes to buy and where to buy to what to expect after surgery. Have a blessed day!
  153. Godzchyl
    Godzchyl
    Hello, My name is Liz and I live in Fresno Ca. I had my surgery March 6 2012. For the past 4-5 months I have noticed thinning in my hair. My nails are strong and growing, but my hair is.....UUGH! Just bought all kinda do grow greases and oils, plus Biotin (never taken it before). Any one with hair loss or thinning hair?
  154. IamNotMyCurves
    IamNotMyCurves
    Hello all! My name is Tysha, born and raised in Compton CA, currently residing in Las Vegas. I am a ER Nurse, wife and mother of 4 little ones (all under 9). I recently joined the "loosers team" 3 weeks ago today. Hoping to find help, support and friends here!
  155. lil78baby
    lil78baby
    Hello everyone my name is Danielle I live in Las Vegas NV from Carson Ca. I am 38 yrs old and will be sleeved on May 31st in TJ Mexico.
  156. Loodi1990
    Loodi1990
    Hi all my name is Tasha I was sleeved May 8th so I'm still in my first phase. Live on Long Island NY, I just can't wait until I see and feel some results, I'm currently 338lbs around 5'3 and 22 years old so I'm ready to set my future right.
  157. Tarheel2012
    Tarheel2012
    Wassup ladies (didn't see any brothers on)...I'm GT and don't know how I've missed this group! I''m 15 months out and doing great!
  158. Tynettamd
    Tynettamd
    Hello my name is Tynetta...I live in North Carolina.....I'm 30 , a wife, and mother.
    I had lapband in 2008....undbanded 4/24/2013 due to many complications.....set for sleeve July 2013

I lost 90lbs wit the band...gained it back and more....currently 353....was 346 the day before I was banded.... My goal weight is 200-210.
  159. AmazonQueen
    AmazonQueen
    Hello Everyone,

I am Rae! I completed my last task for pre certification today. I am hoping to submit to my insurance company within two weeks. It has been about 3 months since I attended the informational about baratric surgery so things have moved along at a steady pace. I look forward to learning and sharing oh and losing!
  160. Dee4113
    Dee4113
    Hi, to all. My name is Deidra, friends and family call me Dee. I will be sleeved in Mexico in about two weeks- June 4th. My decision to be sleeved is for health reasons coupled with the fact that I am over a hundred pounds overweight. I have not been able to lose the weight consistently and keep it off for the long-term. My highest weight was 250. Today, the scale said 238. I am following the pre-op diet-started on Monday. Not really hungry but having headaches. I have been taking tylenol. This site has been very informative and helpful in soothing many of my fears. Glad to be a part of it. I am prepared and ready for surgery-like a real soldier!! Take care-All.
  161. bejeweled
    bejeweled
    My name is Marlo and I am scheduled to have the surgery on Wed., June 5th. I thought about it back in 2009 and chickened out, fearing major surgery which was stupid of me so I am back for it now. My ideal goal weight would get me to a size 14/16. If I can't make that, I will happily take 18/20.
  162. cdudley
    cdudley
    Im Crystal from Atl Ga and will be sleeved on June 24th in Mexico by Dr Q... so ready to have my surgery and get a new life... nice to meet so many people with the same things in common and share goals we all need to reach.... Prays and Blessings to us all on this journey...
  163. Alisha M
    Alisha M
    Hello all. My name is Alisha and I am just beginning the process for obtaining a gastric sleeve. I'm glad that I found this group as I will benefit from hearing your experiences. I am 5'3" and sitting at 215 lbs. right now. I had never had a problem with weight until I had my kids who are now 14 and 12. I never thought I would be struggling for this long to get rid of the weight either. Totally excited to have this surgery and hopefully it will be before my 41st birthday in October.
  164. tbrown9
    tbrown9
    Greetings everyone!

I am happy to have joined this fourm and am looking forward to recieving so much knowledge that will help me on my journey. I will be getting sleeved Aug. 4th and am both nervous & excited at the same time ( which I hear is normal). My BMI is under 40 so I was a candidate for the single incision vertical sleeve procedure. Anyone else having or have already had that done? I would love to know how well you healed after surgery. Thanks all!
  165. ydnarb34
    ydnarb34
    Hello everyone my name is Brandy, I'm 35 from Houston TX. I'm the mother of three and have a wonderful husband. I'm new to this group and glad it's here I hope everyone is having as much success that I'm having and we all achieve our goals! I was sleeved on March 18, 2013, my new anniversary date. It's been amazing I'm at week 11 and lost 38 pounds and going. Be encourage and be bless!
  166. Loodi1990
    Loodi1990
    Hi all it's me Tasha its been almost 1 month since my surgery and I lost a total of 35lbs, I'm so happy and excited. I'm just walking and doing my stretching when possible.
  167. jackj
    jackj
    Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm hopefully 5 weeks away from surgery with 1 more diet/nut visit in a couple of weeks. Look forward reading all your post, thoughts, and recommendations.
  168. shaah
    shaah
    Hey everybody my name is Shaah and im from NJ. im 39 years old and im 5'2. My starting and highest weight was 238. I was big, I couldnt fit anything, my ankles were swollen, my pressure was high. I felt terrible and unattractive. I never wanted to go out and just didnt care too much about how I was looking. I had been working out, watching what I ate and still the weight kept coming. I finally got sleeved on Jan 4, 2012 and it was the BEST thing I have ever done. My current weight is 181 and i look and feel amazing. more energy, making better food choices, being accoutable for what i eat. I work out and I am just so happy.
  169. ms.t
    ms.t
    Hi my name is Thayer just call me Ms. T I live in Delaware I'm 48. I had the sleeve 4/10/13 my starting weight was 260 now I'm down to 218 yay (so happy).
  170. janelle0673
    janelle0673
    Hello! My name is Janelle and I was sleeved on 06/05/2013.When I initially started out I was weighing 289 and I am 5'5". I have a set of boy/girl twins that are 10 years of age and decided that I wanted to stick around for them. I wanted to be active in football and dance as they are. I didn't want to be the large mother that was too tired to take either one of them to practice or recitals so I decided to do something about it. In the past I've tried many diets and while they worked for a short period of time I needed something definite. It's been almost 3 weeks since my surgery and I have to admit I'm doing great. When I went in for my 2 week check up, I lost 24 lbs. and that felt really good to see and feel.
  171. ABrandnewme2013
    ABrandnewme2013
    Hi Everyone! My Name is Denise. I'm a 34 yr old mother of 5..I'm getting Sleeved tomorrow June 24th 2013. I'm excited to start this new phase but nervous as well. I'm 5'3 and my starting weight is 240, at my heaviest I was 265.....I'm looking forward to dropping this excess weight. My goal is about 150-160Lbs. Oh and I'm in Philadelphia!
  172. Smiley4Life81
    Smiley4Life81
    Good morning everyone!

My name is Megan I'm 31 and I am from Baltimore, MD. I am in the process of my 6-month pre-sleeve process and hope to have my surgery in September (maybe October depending on scheduling at the time).. I am a single mother of 3 with a supportive S/O whose happy with the way that I am but I am not as happy as I used to be many years ago with me. I currently weight 258 and my goal is 175-170. I have been thinking of doing surgery for years and thought that I could just diet and over come it but haven't been completely successful with it.. lol.. I am excited, nervous and anxious for my time to get here. I know that it will be here in no time. I look forward to getting to know everyone and sharing our journeys.

Take care and have a blessed beautiful Sunday.

Megan
  173. Mikamom
    Mikamom
    Hey everyone! I was sleeved on 6/20/2013 and am doing well. I live in Colorado but am originally from MD. I started my journey at 234lbs, I am now 211 . I can't wait to reach my goal weight. Best wishes to you all!
  174. RST84
    RST84
    My name is Neisha. I am from the suburbs of Chicago and I am going to have a sleeve on the 15th of July. I am terrified but excited. I
  175. LadyAngela
    LadyAngela
    Hey Ladies and Gents, my name is Angela and I am new this group, I am sharing and learning more and more about the VSG, I am ready for this change, I was banded in 2012 and it has failed me, and I am just unsuccessful with it, but I thank God I have another opportunity to get my weight under control, I am scheduled to have my Revision to VSG next week on Friday 7/12/13 @ 9:30...I have been on my Modified Atkins Pre Op diet 2 1/2 weeks, which is most duable compared to the liquid diet, I probably will do 3 days of protein/liquid diet instead of the one day before surgery, is anyone having surgery on around 7/12/13...just trying to stay close and get and give support, Best Wishes and Blessings.
  176. LadyAngela
    LadyAngela
    I got a questions about hair, well as black women the obvious for surgery would be braids right, but I am planning to get braided up Monday and my VSG surgery is this Friday 7/12/13, so my question would be "my hair will be really tight and did anyone get braided up week of surgery and if so did they have additional headache are totally uncomfortable with tight braids, seem like post surgery you wanna be able to just lay your head down without your scalp totally tender and irritated...any advise or suggestion for surgery do!
  177. rupriceless
    rupriceless
    Hey everyone, my name is Tamara. I live in North Carolina, and had the sleeve done on June 25. I'm so excited about my new journey and wish you all the very best life has to offer!!!. Let's get it!!!
  178. msnycia2u2013
    msnycia2u2013
    Hello, my name is Nycia. I am scheduled to have the surgery on Wednesday July 10, 2013. I am excited to find a forum for African Americans. I look forward to hearing from the already sleaved and assisting my future sleevers. I am 39 years old and weigh 236, some fill this is to light to be sleeved, however I have rheumatoid arthritis and my RA doctor suggested a loss of 80lbs would assist with my joint pains. Unfortunately, i am unable to work out because I ache, I ache oh I ache. there is no cure for RA but I hope with a controlled weight my pain and mobility will be delimited.
  179. JOYCECANADA
    JOYCECANADA
    Hi Everyone
    I see that this is a form for AA and I'm from Canada with no Black support. So I'm hopping to maybe
    find a New Sister or Brother that will embrace me. I find that the Black Community to be wonderful
    and spiritual some thing that I love.
    I have my surgery on July 22 in Mexico Wow. I'm so excited for this life changing experience.
    I hope to hear from some one God Bless and take care to all my Sisters and Brothers.

Cheers
    Joyce
  180. sosoul2
    sosoul2
    Hi, all let me just first start off by saying that its good to know that I am not in this alone. I know I am not the only one who has heard this saying, (You have such a pretty face). I'm like saying to myself go ahead and just insult me already...lol. Now finally I want everything to catch up. I've always looked actually smaller than what I am. I've got that hips, thighs, and buttocks problem.
  181. revewp
    revewp
    Hey everyone. Glad to see this forum for AA and how candid everyone is in sharing their journey to a healthier you. I have been on my weight loss journey (seriously) for the last 8 months. I started out at 400 lbs (but I still looked quite nice looking if I do say so myself....lol.) I am now down 50 lbs and getting prepped for my sleeve surgery on July 23. I am excited and a bit anxious. Excited for the continuation of my weight loss, and the joy of seeing a 2 in the hundred column again, instead of the 3's and 4's. I am anxious because I in 39 years of life have never been in the hospital, surgery, been put under anesthesia, or any thing. I know trust and believe that God has it all under control, and so I am placing my trust in Him. I am a resident in Sacramento, and am excited to learn more from all of you.
    Blessings
    EWP
  182. mscandyapple305
    mscandyapple305
    Hi every one my name is April from Hot Miami, Fl and I have not been sleeved yet but I am getting all the approvals for the process and awaiting for my surgery date! I do have a high blood pressure and currently working on trying to get it under control! hit that friend button!!!! and lets keep each other encouraged
  183. Stefyb71
    Stefyb71
    Hi, I'm Stefani from Cincinnati. I'm hoping to get a surgery date in the next week or so. I've been on this journey for a little more than a year and despite some set backs, I'm ready for my day! I'm 42, 5'6" and weigh 286. Hope everyone is doing well, pre and post-op!
  184. 1SlimLady
    1SlimLady
    I am from Bklyn, NY and I am getting all my pre-approvals done!

Hoping for Aug. 17 through Aug. 31st. Two weeks vacation...

Only EGD and sleep study left.

Wishing everyone luck!
  185. binalyn
    binalyn
    Hi. I'm Bina from the Atlanta, GA area. I've got my approval and a surgery date of 8/27. I just have a EGD left do and it's on! I was pretty relaxed until my sister filled my head with horror stories! I'm single and live alone. How much help did you need after the surgery?
  186. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Welcome everyone and yeah we hit 500!!
  187. Sunlilly
    Sunlilly
    Hello all! My name is Nikole and I was sleeved on July 10, 2013. I have had a very difficult time since day 1. I have a very low pain tolerance and i am still on pain meds. I want to embrace this new life but the last couple of days have been extremely hard. It's been my experience that men respond easier than women but my guy friend is not African American either so I'm not sure if that's playing a part. They say each person is different. I'm glad to be a part of this group
  188. iglamdiva
    iglamdiva
    Hello I'm Camille- reside in the state of Texas, I haven't been sleeved as of yet finishing up my last few appointments before submitting to insurance for approval. I currently have the lap-band which was a total fail for me so, I will be transitioning to a sleeve before the end of the year. I'm super excited to start this journey to a healthier lifestyle.
  189. tenadaley
    tenadaley
    Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I am 31 years old weight 260 trying to lose 110 pounds I look foward to the support and i am very happy to be here. I have one more doctor appointment before my doctor submit my paper work to my insurance company I hope everything goes well. Keep me in your prayers please. Once again Thank You.
  190. asweet310
    asweet310
    Hi everyone I'm new to this site. I'm 43 years old from Memphis and I had my surgery last Monday August 26th. I'm feeling great. still little sore in the stomach area but other than that I'm fine. I began this journey in February 2013, my weight then was 268 (5'3). August 10th I weighed in at 250. As of today I weigh in at 234. I'm looking forward to losing more. How's it going for you all?
  191. Jerzygirl
    Jerzygirl
    Hello everyone, new here...I'm 48 years old, I live in NJ and I'm hoping to have my surgery sometime in October. I've gone through everything and passed...still have to do my stress test and my nutritionist visit over the next two weeks, but I don't forsee any issues that will halt my surgery. I'm a 4x cancer survivor and currently in remission. I finished chemotherapy this past spring and waited with baited breathe so I could move forward with my WLS... so far so good, I've gotten a clean bill of health ... currently my weight is 332lbs and I'm 5'9... when I stated this journey back in August I was 346lb, so I lost a few since then...just by cutting back on junk, eating more protein and drinking more water.

It's quite nice to meet everyone..and I look forward to reading everyone's story...
  192. Khalia74
    Khalia74
    I'm a 39yr old single mom of two boys 19 & 2 yrs old. I'm 300lbs at 5'7 I've been overweight since 1997 when I got the depo shot kind of changed my life I've been fat ever since lol I live in Northern California

I am in the beginning steps of trying to get approved for surgery. I now have to see a psychologist and wait for my medical records then we can submit for pre-authorization
  193. Armygirl76
    Armygirl76
    Hello everyone I am a 37 y/o Army Vet. I am still active duty and have been for 9 yrs. I have been deployed 3 times. I am 5'5 and I weigh 185. I know some may say that's not a lot, well I should weight 140. I have been dieting and trying to get there on my own only to loose about 15 lbs and it creeps back up on me. Being in the Army we have to meet certain weight standards. Well right now I am borderline to failing the standard and can be kicked out the Army if I fail. Well I am still nervous as ever and still doing research. I will be self paying and more than like having my surgery in Tijuana because more than likely in the US I will not be qualified to have the procedure done. So if anyone in here has been sleeved in Tijuana, MX please share your experiences with me please. I am thinking of going to Dr. Poma of LIMARP or Dr Ortiz at Obesity Control Center in Tijuana. These two doctors have been designated as an International Center of Excellence by the US based Surgical Review Corp. So any advice given would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if you loose weight quickly or slowly being sleeved.
  194. Armygirl76
    Armygirl76
    I forgot to mention where I am from. I am from Stone Mtn, GA but currently stationed in El Paso, TX at Fort Bliss.
  195. KayCeeBee
    KayCeeBee
    Good Afternoon All,

My name is Kay and I am new to this site. Hoping to give and receive encouragement, enlightenment and be empowered. I am scheduled to have my surgery in December (2013). I look forward to communicating with you all. I am already encouraged by the positive responses that are posted. It refreshing to know that we as a People can interact positively with one another. Praying all will have much success. God Bless. Kay
  196. leafswife
    leafswife
    Hello my name is Shawn. I have been heavy all of my adult life. I have tried every diet it seems. I have finally come to the d decision that I need a more permanent way to achieve weight loss . I'm tired of the ups and downs. I'm hoping was will provide me with a better tool to keep the lbs. Off for good, so I can live a healthier life for my family.
  197. KayCeeBee
    KayCeeBee
    Hello Ladies,

My name is Kay. I am in the process of preparing my so for sleeve surgery in December of 2013. It was refreshing to not read how others feel on their blogs, but also be able to join in on the conversation. Praying this will enhance my experience as I travel this weight lost journey inner acting amongst those who have walk or is presently walking the path. Thank you for such a beautiful site.

Your Sista

Kay.
  198. ForMeAndMySon
    ForMeAndMySon
    I'm Vernell and I was sleeved on 9.5.13. I'm 46; 5'3 ; starting weight 284. Looking forward to being in this group.
  199. Blackbry63
    Blackbry63
    Hello all

My name is Lisa. I was sleeved on 7/2/2013. I started at 231 lbs, 10 weeks later I have dropped 41 lbs so far, down to 190 lbs and still shrinking. I'm trying to workout at least 3 times a week. One of the reasons I considered the surgery was to take some pressure off my joints I have Arthritis in both knees and my lower back. I turned 50 yrs old this year and was determined to get fit. I must say I would redo the surgery again in a moments notice. I have been completely pain free, knees and all for the past two weeks. Im feeling and looking better. Still struggling a little with my protein and water intake but increasing it daily. Like most of us I too fear the loose skin and hair loss, and as an African American woman Im trying to hold on to my curves somewhat. Im glad to see a forum that addresses issues I relate to as an African American women. I just want to say hello to everyone, I hope you are enjoying this journey and wish everyone luck in reaching their personal goals. Take care.
  200. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    @army girl Dr.Ortiz many like him because I believe he was US certified (much of his experience is from the US) his price is stepper and Dr.Pompa haven't heard much about her but I hear she is a fine surgeon as well. But if you go to Obestiyhelp.com i believe they have reviews of her on there which were mixed as far as good and bad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast