Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Hair

1. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
  2. hope4me
    hope4me
    Just wondering how things are going with those who may have had hair loss. or if any.
  3. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    It's getting old. I still have plenty of hair (too much hair, really) but that doesn't mean I enjoy spending so much time in the shower whenever I wash my hair , nor are the hairballs on the floor attractive. It's like having a bigass long-haired black dog who sheds all the damn time.
  4. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    @Dee You are silly for that one. It is funny you posted in this today, I was just talking to my friend about hair and surgery because she is a cosmetologist and she said she has written articles on this subject and hasn't posted it on her blog yet, I asked her to put some up then I CAN share the blog link to it so we could get a cosmetologist view on it and ask her from her experience what the process is like etc. from clients she worked with.
  5. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Silly? I think you might be mistaking grouchiness as silly!

I talked to both a nutritionist and cosmetologist a couple of months ago in the link above and they both said it will take about year to resolve. I really DO NOT want to put up w/ this for a year, but if you have no control, you have no control. I was also told to save my $ on supplements, they don't help-the hair is going to do its thing until it's done. Baratric surgery is a big shock to the system.
  6. Tracie_t
    Tracie_t
    For your hair, U can eat Edamame Peas they are good for your hair and nails... Are you can take Biotin.... My sister had the gastric bypass and she took Biotin and her hair never shed and its still think and pretty.... Hope this helps!!!
  7. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Like I said in my previous post(s) I'll be sticking to the advice of my hairdresser and nutritionist.
  8. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    @Dee, Silly yea I was laughing when I read the part you said about a long haired dog, because it made me think of something my mom always says about wet dog and hair. I think I rather have some thinnest then fatness. You can hide being bald you can't fake being skinny @Tracie I know a few people speak heavily on Biotin, but from what i been reading on some post is that some people who take it, they are not having any results where as others who take it are. I know this is an out there analogy but it is like when we have our monthly some of us bleed so heavy we become anemic while others go through it and don't. I don't know what I want to do with my hair. I was thinking of getting braids but that would be a hot mess if I am one of the few who loses her hair and then with the shedding from the braids that'll be a hot mess. I am just undecided.
  9. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    This is what's really weird about my hair, PR...it's thin, there's just a lot of it. So in theory it should help, in practice it doesn't Thanks for explaining the silly reference, I was like Huh?

I would NOT get the braids b/c you really like your long hair...I'd hate to see something happen to it.
  10. hope4me
    hope4me
    wow. I was just reading . And thinking at the same time. I 'm a to die braid wearer. and am I getting it. I may have to stop wearing them after the surgery? I will be staying on top of this on. with the braids my hair is now at a long length.( it has never been this long beofore) until I started wearing the braids. but hey thin hair, thin me. I could wear a wig right? lol
  11. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Girl I have a wig all ready...been been ready since before the surgery, and have many hats and look good in a turban. The only downside is that wigs and hats can be hot but the upside w/ a wig is your hair always looks nice. Don't forget to ask your individual hairdressers what they think, they may have ideas that we haven't thought of. I'm just a grumpy girl w/ fistfuls of hair all over her carpet, even though it doesn't show on my head. Will someone please buy me a Dyson Animal? I don't want to spend $500 on a vaccuum cleaner...
  12. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I was thinking of wearing a wig I am considering getting a Brazillian blow dry but they are so expensive (250.00). My hair has not started to thin, I am hoping I don't experience any issues with my hair at all. I am really leaning towards this blow out but it is so expensive. I know it last for four months but damn that is a lot of money. One salon is doing it for 79.00 for an introductory rate I am going to consider getting it done. We shall see. I am thinking with the extra protection it provides the hair it may help with the thinning.
  13. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Girl, I would not consider ANYTHING that will weaken your hair, including the BB. It won't provide any extra protection for the hair but the opposite. Remember I did this just before the surgery so I wouldn't have to mess w/ detangling my hair afterwards but when I wanted to do it again, my hairdresser told me to wait. Please be careful w/ your hair.

I'm hoping I can get my own mess cut today. Needs a good 2" off the bottom, which helps a lot w/ the detangling.
  14. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I don't know what to do with this. I want a natural look but I am in the process of starting my own business I want people to take me seriously. I may have to break down into a wig but if it gets too hot I will take that sucker off, plus I REALLY don't like to wear wigs. I considered a lace front wig but I was reading people was getting forehead cancer, I don't know how true that is due to the limited articles. I am still two months out and have not had any issues. I just washed, conditioned and combed out this mane of mine. I didn't have any additional breakage or hair loss. I wonder if I can pull off a natural curly look. I remember my sister had bought this special shampoo that when i washed my hair and let it air dry I was so shocked it left my natural hair in shirley temples with an air dry. I was so shocked and i know she doesn't remember what it was but that I wish I had again.
  15. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Forehead cancer? You need to stop reading those articles. No more reading that isht on Friday!

I actually do a version of what you are talking about w/ my hybrid hair (which would really be happy dreadlocking if I left it alone) I wash it with John Frieda's Curl Shampoo and Conditioner and let it air dry. DO NOT TOUCH your hair while drying, or it'll frizz. Since my hair is long, the curls are pulled down and sort of straightened on the top. They actually look good but they're such a PITA.
  16. hope4me
    hope4me
    I'm loving what you guys have to say about the hair. Thanks for sharing.
  17. perfectpeace1025
    perfectpeace1025
    I really need help ladies. I used to wish for thin hair but this is d**n ridiculous. My doc just tells me to make sure I take my vitamins, and increase my protein. I just bought some biotin, hopefully that will help. Only my husband and daughter know I had surgery. I go to the beauty shop every 2 weeks. My beautician thinks I put too much heat on my hair from blow drying and flat ironing after workouts. My WL doc told me that it will get better after 6 months if i take my multivitamins and increase protein. I do not believe this man, because he does not have black women hair. Do you think I should get braids or will it damage my hair some more?
  18. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I wouldn't get braids, girl you can rock a wig! The reason I wouldn't get braids is because our hair sheds. I have read posts from other forums of African American women some have taken Biotin and met their protein requirements and have lost their hair still while others haven't. I think it is all about your body if we are going to lose it we are going to lose it. I think the Biotin and Protein won't hurt to try it could help the process. Then again I am only almost 3 months out and I haven't experienced any hair loss yet and I am not doing either as I should honestly esp. the Biotin. I know it helps but I am not losing weight as fast as a lot of people I see on here so I don't think I am at high risk of losing my hair. I mean if anything it is growing, I am maintaining full thickness. I haven't lost anything. I did read it usually happens about month 4 but we shall see. I see your still in your third month going on your fourth. Maybe you can consult another beautician via the phone about what to do about this.
  19. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hi. Phoenixrise. Just wondering how you are doing. Just a question, since you are 3months out, what is your weight doing?
  20. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hi. Phoenixrise. Just wondering how you are doing. Just a question, since you are 3months out, what is your weight doing?
  21. hope4me
    hope4me
  22. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I am doing great almost at 3 months and I have not had any issues with hair loss at all. Sadly enough I got distracted while straightening my hair and not paying attention put the comb in my hair burnt a good chunk off in the back, that is the only loss of hair I experienced so far. Weight wise I lost almost 40lbs I tend to always hit a stall when I START my rag which I am seriously thinking about getting a depo shot for, but don't like the idea with messing with my hormones. I think the stalls is helping me not losing hair, because I am not losing to fast. I rather have my little stalls and know I am not depriving my body of any nutrients etc. because I am losing to fast. Looking in the mirror I could never see a big change but I recently put up a photo before and after I SEEN A HUGE CHANGE in my size just losing 35lbs. I can't wait to see what I look like when I lose another 35 lbs.
  23. hope4me
    hope4me
    Just as my name says. hope4me. Thanks so much for sharing, as this does help in many ways. Congd. on your weight loss I hope you are still around when my time comes. Here's to nothing but great things for you.
  24. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Just so you know...I didn't lose a ton of weight, didn't start out losing a ton of weight, almost exactly as Phoenix has. I told myself that I always lose a (little!) hair when losing weight, and not to worry. Well, after the 4th month I started losing hair like gangbusters. Just so you know it MAY happen. It may NOT happen to you, but you'd be in the minority as it happens w/ most folks.
  25. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Damn. This software needs to be fixed! Phoenix, please delete all the excess posts, I've already told Mediahound.
  26. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I know the software has MAJOR ISSUES!!! It is like that for all groups. Yeah I am actually starting to lose this time on my rag which is weird. Then again I just started to do what I am suppose to do. I started walking 3 days ago and really started to watch what I eat. I have not had any hair loss but I am still watching it. I am watching for breakage. I know it is possible I could lose hair but so far so good. I am staying open minded about the fact, BUT for now I am going to enjoy not losing anything as of yet.
  27. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Oh, I agree and hope you have as little loss as possible, I just didn't want you to be devastated if it did start happening-trying to prepare you for all possible scenarios. Thanks for the deletes, I know they're a pain!
  28. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Oops, it wouldn't let me edit-I meant to say that I always lose some hair after surgery, I'm losing my weight very slowly, so maybe the hairloss will be minimal for me. No way! Firstfulls of hair, every week, starting later around the 4th month.
  29. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    There appeared to be LESS Hair in the drain this week. Let's hope it's not a fluke! Everybody's hair, stay strong!
  30. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I am still hair strong 3 months and 1 day out. So I guess this is about the time people lose hair 3-4 months if I don't lose any hair I am getting braids. Doing these twist and wearing a rag is just too much for me. I am trying to stay natural with my hair. I want to grow my hair out especially in the front it is driving me mad. If I can get about 4 inches in the front I will be happy. Braids is about to be what I am going to do. So far ladies and gent, the hair is holding strong. I will keep you all updated if it falls out.
  31. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    4.5 months is when it started coming out for me, it's about 2 months, 6.5 now.
  32. hope4me
    hope4me
    Good for the hair staying strong. are you still making progress? Still counting down my days lol.
  33. hope4me
    hope4me
    Dee are you still losing ( hair) or did in fact it stopped? How are you doing with your weight?
  34. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    hope, like my last post said, there's less hair in the drain, but I don't think it's done falling out. Less hair is fine, though, I get SO tired of cleaning up after it. I'm doing okay w/ my weight loss, but I lose slower than most. There's a thread where Phoenix asked us all to list our weight loss that you should check out cuz you'll have more than one person's info.
  35. hope4me
    hope4me
    Ok Dee better news about the hair loss, hope it will stop all together soon for ya. and I must have missed that thread or forgot about it. I will check it out.
  36. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    There was still hair in the drain this week, but less.
  37. hope4me
    hope4me
    Less is always better (smile).
  38. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Again there's less in the drain, plus 3" less on the bottom from a haircut Tuesday. I should have made it 2" (It's to my shoulders now but has a lot more curl and body, the extra inch would have weighed it down and kept it a little straighter.) but whatever. It is what it is and I don't have to worry about it for another 6 months. That doesn't mean I don't have to keep buying products and messing w/ it in my various ways (In a way I have to mess w/ it more when it's shorter) but at least I don't have to cut it for another 6 months. Averages out to about $10+ a month, not bad.

So have hope! I'm 7 months+ out now.
  39. hope4me
    hope4me
    Hi Dee I bet that hair is beautiful. Thanks for keep us up on your progress with your hair I hope that all is still going well with your weight too. Talk to you soon.
  40. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Almost forgot to mention that my hair loss stopped as of last week. So that's about 9 months post op, but it only started about 4 months post op. I knew hope4me and others would want to know, but remember we're all different. I can't wait till summer when I can get a texturizer. I was leaning towards relaxer but I don't want to be in the shop every 6 weeks.
  41. perfectpeace1025
    perfectpeace1025
    Hello all. I am 7 months out and my hair is so thin and weak!!! My beautician is trying all these treatments on my hair but nothing is working. I am getting my protein and taking my vitamins. My hair is so bad I feel like crying. The only reason I don't is because I lost 91 pounds and my weight is the reason I am going through this journey. I a black woman's hair is important. I just don't know what else to do.
  42. SheShe
    SheShe
    What about dreadlocks. Anyone with natural locks? I have 3 feet long dreadlocks....will they start to fall out? They are very healthy now. I'm wondering if I should be prepared to cut them all off and start over.
  43. hope4me
    hope4me
    I'm only 5 months out. and so far my beautician says it is looking good. I've always had thin hair so should mine start to fall out I guess I would really be a mess. This thought bothers me, But the weight loss make wiggs sound pretty nice. LOl Anyway right now I'm still wearing my braids as I have in the last 3 years. sheshe I don't know about the dreads but I've heard that others notice by combing their hair. I don't know if you would see this as you don't have to comb through them. And if it is like those that I heard about. your hair may thin out but seem like this would not make your dreads fall out. Just my thought. My breads comes down every two weeks sometime three if I'm not in to get them done. I was taking Biotene long before the surgery so I don't know if this is a help or not. And maybe I have not been out long enought to know. I just know what could happen with the hair through others and I keep in mind that I may have to deal with it. So I hope all of you stay strong and here's to everything falling in place for all of us.
  44. ms.t
    ms.t
    Hi every one I'm new on the board. Just call me Ms. T I had my surgery on 4/10/13 I'm doing well had my 2 month check up and they said everything was fine but my protein was low, so I need to work on that and thank goodness I haven't had any hair loss yet but I use a lot of natural product like coconut oil and Olive Oil it seem to help.
  45. ohdear
    ohdear
    hi I'M 'OHDEAR" surgery date was 12-17-12, Just notice in June and July how my natural afro has shed. the weight is coming off. I have started back taking biotin. wish me luck in growing my hair.