Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Traveling to Mexico without a Passport

1. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I have seen many inquires and yes you can travel to Mexico without a passport. When you are traveling by land you can enter the country on your way back your doctor gives your driver a pass so that your driver is able to pass through a special line for those who have had procedures in Mexico. This line is a less than one hour wait verses the over 3 hours you can get in the regular line. When you cross they usually ask less questions and normally don't say anything when you cross without a passport and are only using your STATE ISSUED ID, AND ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE. I was able to cross without a passport and I only used my State issued ID and Original birth certificate. This was on 7/8/2012.
  2. sharon's-sleevejouney
    sharon's-sleevejouney
    WoW!! that's fantastic! Did you have to let you surgeons rep know this before you traveled? That is my hold up. I want to have my surgery as soon as possible, but was told that I had to have a passport! Is there anything special I need to do before I attempt this?
  3. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    No you don't you can just go as long as you have your photo ID and original birth certificate. No you don't need to know anything. When you go to Mexico and are returning your in a special line which does not question you because the line your in is for medical procedures so the boarder patrol agent knows you had a procedure done. You will be fine. DON'T FORGET THE ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND VALID PHOTO ID.
  4. sharon's-sleevejouney
    sharon's-sleevejouney
    Thank you I just went and purchased a certified copy.
  5. hope4me
    hope4me
    I don't quite understand why we are told we need a passport, but you are saying we don't have to have one? My surgery day is Dec 10.2012. and I was thinking what if my passport wasn't in by then. So this really is good to know just in case something hold up my passport.
  6. buckeye_girl
    buckeye_girl
    I was told also to get either a passport or passport card.... makes sense that we should be able to use birth certificate and state photo i.d. will definitely check this out
  7. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I just recently went and you don't have to have either but you will be able to cross with out a passport or passport card. I know this for a fact. I live in San Diego and my co-worker JUST came back with only her birth certificate and id.
  8. Mikajo26
    Mikajo26
    I am going to be taking two friends with me, should they get a passport?
  9. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    They can go with a birth certificate and government issued ID. If you live in Washington, Vermont, Michigan, and New York, states with enhanced drivers licenses you do not need a passport.
  10. Joanne1958
    Joanne1958
    Shoot wish I would have known that Phoenix just spent $170 to get a passport and get it expedited I sure hope I get it before the 16th of Dec. I had to send in my birth Certificate so don't even have that. $60 extra I best get it in time ha!
  11. Selah117
    Selah117
    Phoenixrise is correct. I just had my surgery 6 days ago in Mexico. All you need a valid state ID and a copy of your birth certificate. Check here to know more about the requirements: Mexico
  12. lindmar
    lindmar
    If anyone is interested...I live in WA state and just got an enhanced drivers license today for $15. They told me it takes 2 or 3 weeks to come in the mail and is good for Canada, MX & the islands.
  13. fleiniebop1
    fleiniebop1
    Is it srill the same??? Or stict about having it???
  14. DebbieD
    DebbieD
    I have spoken with several people who have had surgery in the last two weeks. One said they sternly asked her why she didn't have her passport and she honestly told them it had expired- let her through. When I found out that I could get scheduled so quickly and how long it took to get a passport without spending $$$$$$$$$- I'm going with my certified BC and license. Plenty of people have said that while a passport is preferable - the other works. Regardless I'm sure they won't keep me forever and HEY I'LL BE SLEEVED ANYWAY!
  15. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    When traveling to Mexico without a passport I can tell you this at the border we have first and second inspections. When coming back it is very possible to cross with a drivers license but it is very possible you will go to second inspection. If you travel with your drivers license and birth certificate they can allow you to cross and again you can end up in second inspection. I have crossed with just my ID, but HAVING YOUR PASSPORT will reliquinsh the need for second inspection. You do not know how long the border line will be and if you have to go to second inspection you can risk missing your plane. I just got my passport they do give you a receipt you can have them write your name on that receipt and it allows you to cross temp. over the border. When you cross they do ask what was your business in Mexico, based upon your answer and your agent you never know. Having a passport is just assuring a smoother process, where as not having it can cause delays. Hope that Helps -India