Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New Elevation, New Titration, New Mask, Good Sleep

1. notfat4ever
    notfat4ever
    Greetings fellow OSA groupers,

So last night I got the first good night sleep since I first got my CPAP machine in 2010. I haven't used it in almost the entire time. The mask was not the right type for me and it was not worth the discomfort. Them as I began to retain the weight I was trying to lost I started to use it again. Low and behold, I broke the mask. That being said I packed it up and put it in the closet.

Since then, I have relocated out west to 6000+ feet above sea level and with no mask I just did not care to use it anymore. Also, to get the new referral from my PCM for a new mask was like pulling teeth...I am not a dentist. Finally, I got everything because my bariatric psychologist would not sign off on his part of my pre-op paperwork with the new info from LinCare.

continued....
  2. notfat4ever
    notfat4ever
    That said, I was shown how to reset the machine for elevation or altitude. Problem was she was working with a 1972 machine and mine is 3008 model. So advanced is my model that it adjusts automatically up to 12,000 feet elevation, thank you very much Dr. Drozd.

It is the A.M. and I am refreshed. Not groggy, not exhausted and achy. I switched how I wore my mask last night and it worked like it was supposed to. Word of caution, 3 nights ago I almost suffocated myself by not taking the time to fix the mask into my nostrils correctly. I could not breathe and I do not know how I did not die? I too my trazadone, lunesta, xanax and claritin. I should be Heath Ledger dead right now. Praises Be to God and I adjusted the fit before the meds kicked in last night so here I am alive and reporting.

The Revolution Must Be Televised
    Kristin Out!!!
  3. bytheriver
    bytheriver
    Im glad that you finally were able to establish a relation with your c-pap machine. I have been trying for a month, it is more like marriage, lol. I started with a mask, but then, we switched to pillows and finally, on Monday, I used it for 5 hours. I still have to keep working with it because last night, we were not too good and there is that time when it misteriously appears on the floor, like at around 3am. So you can imagine. I still take a nap at lunch time, I go out to my car and nap, but i don't have narcolepsia, thanks God! I hope that soon, I'm able to sleep with it, well.
  4. compact
    compact
    Hi you two -- I have been using my machine for about 3 years now and wouldn't be without it. I sleep so much better with it and am so much healthier. Of course I still hope I may not need it after WLS, but for now.. it's gold.
    Keep trying. My body is so used to it now that I usually fall asleep within minutes of putting the mask on and find the air supply comforting. I know my brain is happier not dealing with the threat of oxygen starvation hundreds of times a night.
    Happy dreams,
    Nel
  5. carol62
    carol62
    Hi I also have had to make sure that i wear my mask as if i don't I get extreme migraine headaches...Doc said headaches are caused by lack of oxygen so I am happy to wear it for now but plan to be re tested once i get to goal weight.
  6. ltlsqueak
    ltlsqueak
    I don't wear mine like a should. Maybe every other night for about 4 or 5 hours. I forget to put it on and I know my boyfriend must find it "unsexy". LOL If it will help me lose weight, then I will certainly start to wear it.