Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Hi! I Have Bipolar Disorder!

1. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    I had the gastric sleeve 5 wks ago & my thoughts aren't always rational. I've been on meds for 12 years & I'm high functioning, but I'm never cured & I'm never afraid to seek help. I also suffer from severe anxiety. I'm very open about my disorder to prove to people that I'm not crazy & to stop the stigma. I'm just one big ball of emotions that I have to control with meds so I can function. I'm really hoping that people will join this group without hesitation & not be ashamed. I need people to talk to who can relate. Whatever Mental Illness you may struggle with, please let's band together & help one another. The Gastric Sleeve is not the easy way out for anyone. Nothing is ever easy for anyone who struggles with Mental Illness. I'm begging for a support group of this nature, not only for you, but also for myself. I look forward to people joining & uniting. I know I am not alone. This group is not monitored by a physician. If you are suicidal, please seek immediate medical attention.
  2. dbcherish
    dbcherish
    Hi Hennessy! I so glad to see this group pop-up. I'm haven't been diagnosed as Bipolar but I do have a (undetermined) mood disorder accompanied by characteristics of OCD and Severe Anxiety. I've not yet had surgery but this has been a concern of mine. Food has always been my coping mechanism for my emotions but I'm concerned with finding new tactics post-op. How have you dealt with triggers since being sleeved?

Note: I have a open prescription for medication but I prefer not to take it so I undergo regular psych visits
  3. Lynette Gee
    Lynette Gee
    Hi all I have chronic depression and anxiety disorder for over 20 years
  4. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Oh my, I just wrote 5 long paragraphs, and my computer decided to do a windows update and restart my computer right as I was finishing. Just letting you know I'm thrilled to have people join this group. I went into great detail about different scenarios that might affect you after you get your sleeve and how to handle them, but it's 3:30 am where I live and I can't bare the thought of typing it all over again tonight. Uggh! I promise I will get back to you guys very quickly. I'm looking forward to the bonds and friendships and helping each other out! In the meantime, feel free to post anymore questions and concerns and I can include my responses when I get back on.
  5. glaciereux
    glaciereux
    Hello everybody,
    I have bipolar ADHD & severe depression with plenty of compulsive trends in the mix.
  6. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Hi! Welcome glaciereux! Wow, that sounds like a horrible struggle with all of that going on I hope you are doing ok and able to receive treatment or have access to it. I can't imagine have all of that going on. Have you received your sleeve yet? Hopefully that helps with the compulsive eating. I can't imagine it not, it's so restricting. Can't say that it will help with the compulsive shopping. I've been struggling with that a lot lately. I don't know if it's the Bipolar or the shear excitement of losing weight and buying clothes in smaller sizes instead of buying to go up a size or 2 or 3! I think it's a mixture of both. I think the sleeve has somewhat sent me into a manic tailspin. Meds aren't controlling it. I'm elated about the weight loss and agitated very easily. Maybe because my body thinks it's being starved? I don't know. What I'm more interested in is, how are YOU doing and handling things either before or after the sleeve?
  7. Jollymom
    Jollymom
    Hi. I also am bipolar. I am being successfully treated now but only within the last year have I been doing great. I take three meds and they are just the right combination. I have not had my sleeve yet. My surgery is 8/17. I am excited and scared. Thanks for this group.
  8. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Welcome JollyMom! I'm so excited for you! You must update me on your progress after your surgery. Nothing to be afraid of other than dying young from obesity We're here for you and I'm glad you FINALLY found a drug cocktail that works. You are very fortunate. Looking forward to hearing more. Any questions or concerns, just ask, ok? I will be following your progress and write me anytime day or night
  9. ClNDl
    ClNDl
    I also have bipolar 1 and i get injections of risperdal. I love the injections, once every two weeks and no pills to remember every day. My sleeve operation should be this coming january, I'm in the early stages I guess lol.
  10. newme12
    newme12
    HI, I LIVE IN NE TEXAS, AND HAVE SUFFERED FROM CHRONIC MAJOR DEPRESSION, FOR SEVERAL YEARS. ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED IS
    WHEN SOMEONE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHY I DO SOME THINGS I DO. I LOOK THEM STRAIGHT IN THE EYES, AND SAY "I'M MENTALLY ILL, BUT
    I TAKE MEDICATION FOR IT." USUALLY THAT CUTS THROUGH A LOT OF CONFUSION AND LETS THEM OFF THE HOOK. it also lets me
    say no to something i really don't want to do. I HOPE THIS SURGERY WILL WORK FOR ME.
    MY GIRLS (ages 31 and 33) are so excited for me, and one of them even paid for air fare to mexico for my friend
    and me. the hardest part was to talk to my husband, but he has been supportive, and since this is self-pay will pay for the surgery.
    he still doesn't get it about the lack of motivation some times, but he's a work in progress. we have been married only 40 years. lol
    thanks for this group.
  11. Molly03
    Molly03
    Hi everyone,
    Nice to be here. I'm currently trying to decide to sleeve or not to sleeve even though I have 98% decided to do it. My 2% of uncertainty is because I only have minimal contact with people who, like myself have bipolar. I have uncertainty and want to be 100% at ease before going through with it. I would really appreciate whatever input anyone has from the initial stages to the longer term affects on bipolar of the sleeve.
  12. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Molly, you must definitely go through with the surgery, and don't look back. It's a really good way to help people like you and I. We can no longer eat out of emotion. Our bodies won't allow it. If we do, it will hurt or you will throw up and after 2-3 months of that, you just give up and try to remember to eat. I have to say,I've exchanged my addiction for shopping for clothes. Not good for my bank account, but a little more healthy. I've had some issues with my meds not absorbing and had to make adjustments. There will be changes, but GOOD ones.
  13. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    You won't even be able to keep up mentally with how much your body changes physically. My own Aunt and Uncle who have known me my whole life, didn't even recognize me at the store the other day, and I'm like REALLY????? I still don't see what other people see, but I do love the physical freedom, movement, that i haven't experienced for a long time. As people who suffer from Bipolar disorder,we are well known for slow suicide or killing ourselves slowly without recognizing it, but if you truly want to live, the sleeve is the best for you. Lap band slips and I know SEVERAL people that didn't lose more than 20-30 lbs. The bypass is not an option AT ALL since you need that absorption for your bipolar meds. Let me know what your concerns are, and help ease your mind. I'm glad to have another Bipolar
  14. greifelt
    greifelt
    Hi everyone! I am so glad to see this group as I have rapid cycling bipolar disorder and anxiety problems. I am on a regiment of medications and know I will never go off and I am okay with that. I too speak openly about my illness as it is up to us to get rid of the stigma associated with mental illness. I am only in the beginning of this process as I have my seminar on Monday. I went to a seminar in the past for banding and chickened out. I need the support of this community to help me through all of this.
  15. Yrollam
    Yrollam
    Hello,

I have rapid cycling bipolar I disorder, gad, and PTSD. I am currently stable on my med regimine, that is making me gain weight. I am seeking the sleeve and have my first appointment with the surgeons office on oct 19. I can't wait to get the process moving.
  16. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    It's great to see that you all are so in touch with your illness and realizing that you must always take your meds. Mental illness is so prevalent yet very few will admit to it. I'm so glad to have such a great group of people to relate to who have nothing to hide. For those who have not had the surgery yet, get excited!!! It truly is one of the biggest fixes to our illness, other than taking our meds. I'm so glad you joined and posted. Keep looking forward because life will get better!
  17. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    It's great to see that you all are so in touch with your illness and realizing that you must always take your meds. Mental illness is so prevalent yet very few will admit to it. I'm so glad to have such a great group of people to relate to who have nothing to hide. For those who have not had the surgery yet, get excited!!! It truly is one of the biggest fixes to our illness, other than taking our meds. I'm so glad you joined and posted. Keep looking forward because life will get better!
  18. Amy_H
    Amy_H
    Hi all. I have been diagnosed bi-polar with depression and anxiety. I'm scheduled for surger on Monday Aug. 5th. Has anyone been able to come off their meds after the surgery. My husband seems to think that my body will produce more serotonin so that I might not need them. I can't imagine life without them. Good luck to all on your journeys.
  19. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Amy_H

I'm sure your husband is nothing but supportive, but the answer to your question no. You must never ever stop taking your meds. You're saving your life with this surgery and those meds are saving your life as well. If they work do not even try to make any changes, or you are in for a long hard battle, as I am sure you are well aware Thinking of you today and hope your recovery period is as comfortable as possible! Congratulations!
  20. ximmia
    ximmia
    Hi there, I'm rapid cycling bipolar 2 (which I know doesn't technically exist until the next DSM) and the one thing I did was make sure I took care of my mental health before I tackled my physical. This took a couple of years but was definately worth it. I'm in such the right headspeace it's amazing. And I agree with Hennessy that you want to stay on your meds and keep close contact with your pdoc. Mine has told me that dosages might change, but I'm not doing anything without her sayso. Good luck to you all!
  21. LadyJay
    LadyJay
    Hi all. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I was sleeved in August 2013. Mental health issues run in my family. I have been diagnosed with Bi-polar, anxiety, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). I take my meds faithfully and have been pretty much stable for the past year. However, this time of the year is always difficult for me. I'm in tune with my emotions and I know that I am starting to get the 'winter blues' and I'm a bit worried. I am thrilled that I was sleeved, it was one of the best decisions I have made in my life as I have lost 36 lbs so far. So, how's everyone doing? How do you stay balanced?
  22. forfourpaws
    forfourpaws
    Hi all - I just signed up on this site tonight, and my surgery is Dec. 10!

I am thankful for this group. I have bipolar disorder and major depression, and I always say I have the "double whammy" of the last acceptable discriminations -- weight and mental illness. I'm glad one of those will be addressed at the hands of a surgeon in a few weeks.

It sounds as if several of you have altered your meds a bit because of the surgery. After researching the surgery for years, I pulled the trigger on it rather quickly, so I haven't seen my "head med" doctor since. I'm a little nervous, so walking through my meds with her and discussing any potential issues will help a bunch.

Best to all of you.
  23. jennak89
    jennak89
    Hi, I have Major Depression, ADD/ADHD, Pervasive development disorder, not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS a form of Austism, learning disorders. PTSD, SAD, Anxiety Disoder. Well I did have many of them, they went away with surgery. Now I just cope with the others most co-workers don;t know I have these, I am learning to adjust to my PDD, and fighting the stigma about mental illness and educating others.
  24. Poji
    Poji
    Hi - I too have bipolar disorder...this has been a rollercoaster for me too...I've had to change one of my meds (Wellbutrin 300 XL) because my body wasn't absorbing it...So now I am weepy...Best of luck everyone <3
  25. cssamo
    cssamo
    I know the feeling. I hope you all have a great day today.
  26. ellymae71281
    ellymae71281
    I too am Bi-Polar but I deliberately let myself forget the rest of the things that they said about me...Something to do with PTSD, personality disorders, inability to get along with others...

I just ignore it all and do my best to live each day the best I can....

Without that diagnosis, I don't think I would have ever gotten obese...ironic now that I think about that...
  27. thinmeskreamin
    thinmeskreamin
    Been fighting depression for years, and been off meds over a yr. Didn't care for my last doc anyway. Looking forward to a new doc to go withthe shrinking bod, help me keep my head together. Always felt good when my weight was down. Cannot express how much stress has had me weighed down this last few years bad this past month.
    However, I'm ready forw the trip to Mexico, the surgery, and the aftermath.
  28. cssamo
    cssamo
    I have had Severe Depression for a couple of years now. Also, said to have Bi-Polar NOS. I really hope that after I have my surgery, that some of the pain in my thoughts will go away.