Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Welcome to December!

1. mlola
    mlola
    Say something about yourself, and why December is your month, what date you're getting it and who you Doctor will be.

Looking forward to making new sleeve-month mates.
  2. Charity
    Charity
    Hi! I'm Charity. I will be getting the VSG on 12/20/11 with Dr. Almanza! I am SUPER excited and hoping to meet some people who will be with him that day or around that day, because I am headed to Mexico alone. I'm 26, a pediatric RN, and am going over my Christmas break (I'm a school nurse at a special needs elementary school). I can't wait!
  3. mlola
    mlola
    Hi Charity! looks like we may be a week apart. i'm also going over Christmas break but i'm doing it after Christmas on the 27th. I initially planned on going with Almanza but decided I'd be more comfortable in a hospital setting so i'm going with Dr. Kelly. And the fact that Almanza's office would not be opened over Christmas completely sealed the deal for me.

Are you doing anything special to prepare between now and then? I'm doing lots of research and making lots of lists of all the things/foods/ supplements i will need post surgery. I want to be as prepared as possible. But i can hardly wait for December!
  4. Charity
    Charity
    Hi! I actually had a lapband placed in 2008 and had to have it removed, so this is my second WLS. The things that I needed post-op were chapstick, a book, my computer, Gas-X strips, Listerine strips, and sugar-free hard candy to keep my mouth wet. I made sure I had loose fitting yoga pants, a sports bra, and a loose fitting tshirt. Flip flops or shoes that you don't have to bend to put on were helpful as well. I plan on packing really lightly so I don't have to worry about heavy luggage.

I am really hoping to find someone who is getting sleeved the same day as I am so we can split a hotel room! $99/night isn't a ton, but it sure would be nicer to split!

I wish that it would just get here already! I see all the success stories and am eager to start on my path, too. It's exciting ot think that next summer, I may be drinking my Jeep, top off and sunglasses on, and a size 8 instead of a 24!

Where are all the other Dazzling Decembers!?
  5. arubey
    arubey
    Hi! I am Amber, I am getting my Sleeve December 14th. I am a graduate student in clinical psychology, and class breaks the thursday before that. I am 25 years old, have met a few people through support group who have gotten the sleeve who look and are doing amazing.
  6. Lupis
    Lupis
    Hello every one, my name is Marie and I will get my surgery Dec 9 with Dr. Juan Egana in tijuana.
    I can not wait for that time to come, I was supposed to do it in Sep. but something came up and I had to changed to Dec... Hope to hear from all of you and lets get going !!
  7. randi84
    randi84
    Hi I am Randi, I will be getting sleeved on Dec 16th by Dr Babineau in Tyler Tx. I am so excited. It seems the days are dragging by! I chose the 16th because thats what day they had left for 2011 and i really wanted to do it while my insurance deductible was already met, dont want to have to start over!!
  8. RighteousBabe
    RighteousBabe
    hi everyone. my name is jen! i'm 36 years old. i'm getting sleeved by dr. almanza on december 12th.

i'm going to mexico with 2 of my aunts...one of which is having the surgery with me (the other is our support system). why in december? well, it was just a good time for all of us to take off work. i live in ohio and am actually making a 2 week trip out of this. after the surgery we're going back to my aunt's home in arizona to recuperate before heading back to work. we'll be getting home right before christmas. the 23rd.

to prepare... right now i'm trying to whip my home into complete tip top shape so i don't have to worry about much housework right after i come back home. i'm making lists of things to take with me...things to have here at home when i return so that i'm prepared. ...and probably doing a bit more worrying than i should. (i've never had any sort of surgery before... let alone going out of the country to have it.)
  9. Pink Me
    Pink Me
    Hello! My name is Cena Dee and I will be flying into San Diego on the 8th - surgery on the 9th. Will be with Dr. Almanza and I picked December because of time off. Need to do it - but really scared. I'm 43 and a nurse in Tennessee.
  10. BraelynsGrammy
    BraelynsGrammy
    Hi,
    My surgery date is December 22nd. I am getting it done locally in York, PA by Dr. Monk. My physician referred me to him so I am trusting him. I am preapproved by my insurance. I chose the 22nd because I have already met my deductible for insurance and I don't have any idea if my company will have the same insurance next year.
    I can't express how much I am so ready for this surgery. I am tired of trying to lose weight only to be disappointed when I get on the scale. I have been to 4 out of 6 nutrition classes and the last three times I have weighed the same to the ounce! So disappointing considering I am making the changes that I will need to make once surgery is complete.
    It's nice to finally have some people that are having surgery the same month. It seems so far away!
  11. belleebutton
    belleebutton
    Kia Ora from New Zealand! I got my surgery date yesterday - Dec 6. I'm very excited entering into this new phase of my life. My surgeon insists that all his patients also be under the care of a clinical psychologist, a dietician and an excersise therapist. I have my first appointment with them on Nov 3 and start my pre-op diet after that. Feel like I should be tearing around putting my life in order... not too sure where to start!
  12. Tigergem86
    Tigergem86
    Hi everyone,

My name is Sara, im 25 years old. Im having my surgery done Dec 28 by Dr. Landerholm in washington. I am excited and nervous but much more excited. I.like this site because its given me some more insight into life after surgery. More than what i hear from other people i know.
  13. Clemonc
    Clemonc
    Hello Charity, I am CeCe and my date is Dec. 20,2011 also. Nervous !!!!!!
  14. Clemonc
    Clemonc
    Hello,
    My name is CeCe, im 49 years old. Im having my surgery done Dec. 20, 2011 by Dr. Almanza in Mexico. I am very NERVOUS!!!
    I will be going alone. I feel this is a new start in life.
  15. babigrl111
    babigrl111
    I'm 32, I am a legal secretary in California, getting sleeved on December 9th, my doctor is Justin Braverman. Cant wait! Only reason its scheduled so far out is because I gotta wait for insurance approval. So excited!
  16. JacqAttack
    JacqAttack
    Hi, Im Jack.... 31.... Nurse..... My Surgery is December 14th with Dr. Almanza. I chose December b/c its inbetween Semesters.... Hopefully I'll have enough time to re-coop b4 Spring Semester starts back up..... I'm Supa Excited! Looking for forward to a new way of life... We've all heard of new beginnings...well, this is my new Ending~ Good Luck to all & Happy December!!
  17. SKSSRN
    SKSSRN
    HELLO, I'm Sandi I am 32 and a Registered Nurse. I am scheduled for Dec. 2nd with Dr. Winterstein in Nebraska. I originally had a Lap Band placed in January 2010. It was removed in June 2011 do to complications. Insurance has been great as they will be covering my 2nd procedure also. So excited to get going again. Good Luck!
  18. scgal21
    scgal21
    Hi everyone! I'm Dee and I am scheduled to have a vertical sleeve on Dec. 8 by Dr. Ramos Kelly in Tijuana, MX. I've been chunky most of my life and after having 2 kids, found myself carrying around an additional person (albeit a small person lol). I've thrown around the idea of weight loss surgery for years and my insurance won't cover any form of wls under any circumstances...so when I heard it is affordable in Mexico I started doing my homework, and voila...here I am! I am going alone, and very nervous but looking forward to a new and healthier future! Look out 2012
  19. shaminthedevil
    shaminthedevil
    Hi, My surgery date is Dec 7. I see many that are around my date but no one on my date yet. No biggie. I am going through this here in Boston and have a great support system here. My step-father had a bypass 2 yrs ago this February so I am familiar with the Post-op needs both physically and emotionally. I am excited but just as nervous at the same time. December is my month as it will the the actual "beginning" to my journey, not just preparing for it. I hope to talk to you all and follow you as we take this journey :-D
  20. Camellia301
    Camellia301
    Jack, I am Camellia & we'll be there together!!! I am the 14th as well, I just booked a room a la quinta for cheaper than she quoted me which started a 89.95 for the 13-14th. I am trying to wait for the air fair to go down but will only give it til next week... I may even have to look into a different, I am from Jersey so I have Newark, JFK and Philadelphia airports that surround me.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a cheaper Newark flight as I am 20 min from there... I started with Jan 16 but then thought about school starting that next week and it's my last semester so I need to be healed and strong enough to take on that last semester.... I am looking forward to graduating 30-40lbs thinner.... God Willing. I am going alone but I am READY, anxious too, but definitely ready!! Everyone, I wish for us all to be well and blessed with Gods Speed of recovery, so we can get on with a healthier way of living!
    Camellia
  21. Cjaqtt
    Cjaqtt
    Hi my name is Christina an I'll be getting my sleeve done on Dec 3 from Dr Almanza in Tijuana. I feel like that was like the intro to a 12 step program. Sorry just giggling at myself right now. Am excited and nervous at the same time. I am trying to get all my holiday decorations done an up. That way when I come home I can just enjoy the kids and all the cool lights. I chose Dec because I found awesome airfare an asked if any of the dates would fit. The 3rd was open, so I jumped. My mom is coming with me an my husband is staying here to take care of our 2 girls. I would give up every Thanksgiving dinner an Christmas cookie for the rest of my life for the chance to be healthy an feel in control of my weight again. This was my chance so I took it. It's the first truely selfish thing I think I have done since collage.
  22. mlola
    mlola
    changed my date. Dr. Kelly is available on the 26th so I've moved my surgery up one day. Best Christmas present for me!!! Anyone else having surgery 26th or 27th with dr kelly wanna be surgery mates?
  23. Cherylin LB
    Cherylin LB
    Hello, I am having surgery on December 8 with Dr. Ramos-Kelly in Tijuana. I'm 64 and have spent my adult life on just about every diet. Each time I lost weight, I would gain it back plus more. I had looked into bariatric surgery many years ago and found it to invasive. When a friend told me about her experience with sleeve surgery, I knew I had found the right option for me. I will be going alone, but scgal will be having surgery with Dr. Kelly at the same time. I feel like a child waiting for Christmas, and a new life.
  24. merrowl
    merrowl
    Hi,
    I am having surgery 12/2 and am over 60. Anyone out there with Type 2 diabetis? If so lets compare notes.
  25. Gingaling
    Gingaling
    Hi all. I am having surgery Dec 8th all the way over in New Zealand (as I live here) On optifast at the mo. Chose Dec as I wanted it ASAP- I couldn't keep spiraling upwards over summer. I am 30 year old mum of 2.
  26. 5DogMa
    5DogMa
    Hello,

I'm having surgery Dec 7th in Sacramento with Dr. Steven Patching. UGH! Scared and excited and dreaming about this almost every night now. Wish I could fast forward 3-4 months ahead. In January we are getting my daughter sleeved so we can go through this together.
  27. Kelly Jo
    Kelly Jo
    Hello. My name is Kelly. My surgery date is Dec 7 with Dr. LaMasters in Des Moines, Iowa. My starting weight is around 300. My highest weight was 324 and I have been working the last 6 months to get some off before surgery. On a 1200 calorie/day diet now, and go to liquids on the 5th and clear liquids on the 6th. I wanted it done in December because of insurance primarily. My employer is changing insurance carriers on Jan 1 and I didn't want to have to start over again with insurance approval so I worked very hard to get all the requirements in and get on the schedule for December. I was just hoping for ANY day in December and found out last week that it'll be the 7th so I was very happy. I turn 40 on the 22nd of December so what a wonderful way to start my 40's.
  28. mamma2boys
    mamma2boys
    Hi, my name is Cori and I am having my surgery on December 13th in New Brunswick, Canada. I am 35 years old, have 2 kids, and am also taking my MBA right now. I'm feeling excited to have the surgery but I'm really scared too - what if it doesn't work? I feel like the surgery is my last hope. At 314 pounds, I need to make a change. I start my pre-surgery diet on Monday and the fact that I will still be on a clear liquid diet over Christmas is really hard for me. I was hoping to at least have pureed potatoes with my family on Christmas. But it will be worth it all for sure.
  29. geo344
    geo344
    Hello everyone, I am Geo, having surgery on 12/14. I'm 67 years, so I'm somewhat older than many who are having the surgery. It's just I have finally had it with the yoyo weight loss and gains. I've read a lot of the other posts from those who have had the surgery and I know this "tool" for the journey will really make a final change.
    I've had two previous dates, and both were postponed for various reasons. One involved changing surgeons, and one involved a family emergency. Hopefully the third time will be the charm and I will finally get my sleeve. I am SO ready. Some of my friends said I might as well wait until the Christmas holidays were over, but I'm determined to start with weight loss this holiday season. Since a lot of us seem to have December dates, we will all start off the New Year right.
  30. LesaLynn
    LesaLynn
    Hello everyone! My name is Lesa and I'll be having my surgery on December 5th in Houston with Dr. Clifton Thomas. Like many others I am soooo excited but scared at the same time. My doctor does not require me to be on a pre-op diet other than liquids the day before surgery but I am going to start on protein shakes this Monday. I've been wanting surgery for many years and can't believe it is finally here! I've done the research and I think the Sleeve is the one for me. I am so looking forward to a wonderful year ahead!! This is consuming every thought and every minute of my day lately. I will be so glad to get the surgery behind me and move on to the next phase. Our new beginning is almost here!! Good luck fellow Sleevers!!
  31. SuzieInTexas
    SuzieInTexas
    Hi everyone! My name is Donna, and I am getting sleeved Dec 20 in The Woodlands, Texas by Dr Turnquest. I am self pay, and my doc is doing this on a 23 hr outpatient basis. He has done several self pay patients this way with no complications. I'm looking forward to this new chance for a healthier life!
  32. cowgirljane
    cowgirljane
    My date is Dec 12th, because as of Jan 1 the new insurance specifically excludes the sleeve! Luckily, it does cover treatment for obesity so my follow ups will be covered.

I am so looking forward to starting this journey. I have gotten so fat i am just miserable now and not doing things I love to do.
  33. lauriej71
    lauriej71
    Hi! My name is Laurie and I am having my surgery on the 14th. My doc is Dr. Jim Givens in West Columbia, SC. I had been looking into the surgery for some time, but couldn't even entertain the thought of having it done because I was taking care of my mother. She passed away two months ago today and after some time to myself I decided to call the doctor's office and make an appointment. I got in right away on November 4th after seeing my primary care doc on the 2nd. I had my pysch consult on the 7th. A week later the surgeon's office called wanting my 5 year weight history from my primary so I called to arrange that. On the 22nd someone from the surgeon's office called to tell me they received the history and was about to send everything over to the insurance for approval. I was beyond shocked when someone called me back 20 minuted later to tell me that the insurance approved my surgery and scheduled me for December 14th.
  34. Roxann
    Roxann
    Hi everyone, my friend Joyce and I are having the sleeve done Dec. 17 by Dr. Ramos Kelly.
    I love this site, soooo much information here.
  35. Stacyj4
    Stacyj4
    Hello everyone. My name is Stacy and I am getting sleeved on December 21st. Dr.Mun at Kaiser Harbor City will be performing my surgery. I am excited,anxious,and nervous. I am ready to began this new chapter in my life. A new year, a new me.
  36. fluffydonna
    fluffydonna
    My name is Donna. I'm 27, married, no kids yet. I finally decided to have the surgery after years of gaining and losing the same 30 pounds. I really want to lose 100ish pounds and develop better eating habits so that i can be a heathy mom. It won't be easy but i believe I'm making the best decision for my health and future family. My surgery is Mon, Dec 12 with Dr. Hanafy in Auburn, WA. I chose Dec because A) we've maxed our coinsurance so the surgery will be free and 2) it was the soonest I could get in.

Best wishes to all and Merry Christmas!
  37. JOANNA
    JOANNA
    Hi ,
    My name is Joanna and I am having my sleeve surgery on the 5th of December, I am traveling with my husband but am still really really nervous. I picked Dr.Kelly to do my surgery and and confident in that choice. I started my pre-op diet at 402 lbs I am now 4 days out and have lost 23lbs yay... Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
  38. TDinWI
    TDinWI
    My name is David and I am having my sleeve done on December 12th with Dr. Garza in Summit Wisconsin. I learned about Gastric Sleeves from my primary Physician when he told me that I was borderline Diabetic. When I first asked about the Sleeves a nurse in the Surgeon's office who handles insurance told me that my insurance didn't cover sleeves, only bypass and lap bands. A few months later she called me and told me that she checked back and the insurance company and found out they had added sleeves as covered procedures. I could have had the surgery anytime after about mid November, and chose December 12th because I could start my pre-op liquid diet after Thanksgiving. It also allowed me to be off work during the Christmas Season and to be home with my kids when they are on break. Finally, by having the Surgery in December as opposed to early next year will allow me to have all the costs for the surgery paid for, as I have hit my yearly out of pocket maximum.
  39. m0nlca8252
    m0nlca8252
    Hello hello! My name is Monica and I will be having my sleeve done on December 15th by Dr. Phillip Chin thru Kaiser at St. Bernadines. I'm nervous, excited, nervous! :/ So glad I found this site, it's helped me with questions and some of the anxiousness! Yay for us, 2011's Sleevers!
  40. Leahnkylesmommy
    Leahnkylesmommy
    Hi my name is nikki, im 23 years old and i am having my surgery december 14th!!! I am so excited for this!!!!!!! I am down 13 pounds so far pre-op. And i live in new york so i am having Dr. Arif Ahmad perform my surgery!
  41. Leahnkylesmommy
    Leahnkylesmommy
    Why is everyone going to mexico!?
  42. Kelly Jo
    Kelly Jo
    Many people choose Mexico if their insurance does not cover the surgery. It is much cheaper there. Self pay in the States is a minimum of $12,000 is my understanding, depending on your location. It is under $10,000 in Mexico, and under $5,000 by some of the surgeons. It has also been in practice there longer and some of the surgeons there are more experienced than here.
  43. massietata
    massietata
    I'm Massie and my surgery is December 13. I'm getting it done here in Houma. I'm a teacher, and my insurance is covering most of my surgery!!!! AND I have enough sick days that I'll be off work until Jan 3.
  44. New Woman
    New Woman
    Hi, my surgery is Dec 5th with Dr. Rice (military doctor) in TX. I am looking forward to going down on the scale and no up. If I didnt do it on the 5th (finals are on that day but will take them later, already took care of that) then I have to wait till Feb and go through the whole pre-stuff all over again. Not wanting to do all the pre-work again and wanting to start the new year out right Dec 5th it is!!!
  45. couponmom43
    couponmom43
    Hi, my surgery date is Dec. 8th with local Dr. Keith Chung in Southwest Louisiana. I have had a long process getting surgery approved ,started this process in Feb. of this year. My insurance deductable has been meet and I wanted surgery as soon as possible. I have a week of vacation left and can take sick days off if I need to. I don't know what this next year will hold for me and insurance as I am getting a divorce. Sooo excited this has worked out, now I'm just scared for some reason I won't pass the pre-op test, chest x-ray and ekg!
  46. lisamarie0814
    lisamarie0814
    Hello! My name is Lisa and I'm scheduled for Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve revision on 12/14/11 with Dr. Almanza in TJ. My mom is going with me and she's from Mexico & fluent in spanish which will make things very nice (I speak spanish also but definitely not as good as she does!). I'm super excited and just hoping for a smooth surgery with the lap band removal and sleeve done all at once! I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow "sleevers" next week
  47. BettyBoop88
    BettyBoop88
    Hey all, I'm Brytni...I'm 23, and pending approval, I will be sleeved Dec 26th by Dr. Ritter. My mom works at the same hospital, and it will be free for us, so that's one of the reasons I chose him. Also, I went to the seminar back in May, and I was able to speak with a woman who had the lap band...she was very pleased with him. He seems very knowlegable and supportive.
  48. mlola
    mlola
    Wow... December is almost over and my surgery date is coming up fast, in just 4 days I will also be on the losers bench. I was all alone when i started this group back in August and now there's so many of us. Congratulations to everyone that's already had surgery and good luck to those like me that are still waiting.... and drinking pre-op shakes LOL.
  49. LadyBug36
    LadyBug36
    Hi.. My name is Lelia and I am 37 years old. I had my sleeve on December 9, 2011. Its been 13 days since my surgery and I am doing great! I had my surgery at River Oaks Hospital in Jackson, MS. It was a wonderful experience and I would refer anyone to Dr Carroll. I have done pretty good. I have lost down to 259 as of today. So thats 30 pounds total! I am excited! I havent been anywhere near 250 in many many years! Good luck to all of you! And Merry Christmas!
  50. CarolC
    CarolC
    Hello all. I'm Carol and I'm having my surgery next week, 12/28. I'm just starting to get nervous. I'll be glad when it's over and I'm on the other side of it.
  51. CatherineRN
    CatherineRN
    Hello!

My surgery is for the 30th, my insurance changes with the company I work for so getting it in under the wire. Excited it is only 7 days away, can't wait to be on the back side of this. Drinking my shakes and trying to stay positive with the holidays. My grandson got here yesterday so that has my mind on staying healthy so I can watch him grow up, so very proud of this little one. I am having the surgery here in TN where I work and with Dr Echols. We have a whole Bariatric program here at work that now is kinda up in the air with new ins changes. There are quite a few people who have had or going to have the sleeve, so hopefully we will be able to continue to support each other. I am so glad that I found this web site, nice to know you aren't alone.
  52. browneyedgirl
    browneyedgirl
    Hey everyone!

I'm getting sleeved on the 28th (just barely made it in the December group!) by Dr. David Kim in Colleyville, TX. I've been on the liquid diet since the 14th in preparation of surgery. Most days are good on the hunger level, but some days are hard to stick with the very restricted diet. My mom was sleeved by the same doctor on the 19th. She LOVES her surgery. I can't believe my surgery is in less than a week! Can't wait to be able to start the next stage of my journey.

Looking forward to relying on you guys for advice and encouragement as we all go on our journeys together.

Good luck to everyone. Praying for all of you!

Jenny
  53. swarizonaone
    swarizonaone
    I'm kris, got sleeved 12/07/2011.................................originally had the band (2006) and got a hernia and problems from it............so, a new procedure. Got the sleeve.................at first, didn't like the fact that I couldn't even get water down........but 21 days later, I'm moving right along.... loving every minute of it!
    Kris
  54. babybak0831
    babybak0831
    Hello! I'm Christy! I was sleeved on 12/13/11 in Tulsa and overall have done very well. One of he biggest problems I've had has been swallowing air when drinking fluids, A problem that I have partially remedied by using a straw, even though they advise against it. Also at 6 days post-op I felt a ripping sensation near an incision when I vomited, which the doctor said was probably a pulled muscle. It was sore for about a week then went away. My hospital stay was extended from the anticipated 1 day, to 4 days due to vomiting, but even with these concerns, no regrets! Good luck to you all on your new journeys!
  55. Live & Learn
    Live & Learn
    Hi I am Live and Learn and I had my sleeve on December 21,2011!
  56. Myrna519
    Myrna519
    Hello Group ! I am new to the site and look forward to making so friends. I had my sleeve on 12/27/11 and my surgeon was Dr. Mun. I have lost 59 lbs since my bariatric program began in August 2011. I have lost 27lbs since my bariatric surgery in December.
    Are there any others here who had their surgery on that date ? And if so, how are you doing ? I would love to know.
  57. Stacyj4
    Stacyj4
    Hey Myrna. I had my surgery on December 21st. I have lost 42 pounds since surgery and 38 pounds during options. Dr.Mun also did my surgery. Everything is going great. I had no complications. I work out 4 days a week. Trying to get in 5. How are u doing? Have u seen a nutritionist yet?