Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Answers please! BMI: 31.2

1. Caylee
    Caylee
    Hey Sleevers!

I've been on this site now for a couple weeks but just came across this Low BMI Sleevers group today! Super happy (even though it doesn't seem like many of us post on here often!)

A little bit about myself: I'm 24. 5'4. 182 lbs. My BMI is 31.2. I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Almanza in Tijuana Mexico on April 04, 2018. I started my pre-op diet today. I'll be traveling to Mexico alone, as not many people know that I'll be having surgery, so needless to say, I'm nervous. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with! (They're probably silly questions because I haven't found them answered anywhere else, but here it goes)

1.) Do we bruise easier? When I was shopping around for a doctor and hospital that would clear me for the VSG surgery, one of the sales agents told me that I was denied for surgery by their doctor due to my low BMI. He said the doctor doesn't like filling up people with gas with a BMI of anything under 34 because it causes deep bruising that can last a long time.

???

I'm very curious, has anyone on here experienced anything like this?

2.) Since I've decided to have the surgery before I've accumulated a bunch of extra skin, (and trust me, I'm on my way there!) will the gas cause the skin that I do have to tear? aka creating extra "stretch marks" (Another reason that sales agent gave me)

3.) Is the gas more painful for us? Maybe this is just a fabricated fear in my head, but I would assume that someone with a lower BMI would have less room for the gas to sit, potentially causing more pain?

Also ! Any updates on how you guys are doing post-VSG would be awesome! Even if you don't have answers to any of my questions above ^
    It would just be comforting to see how you Low BMI-ers are doing after your surgery!

Sending positive vibes

Cay
  2. Nadene17
    Nadene17
    BMI was 35 before surgery and now 27.4- 8 weeks out. No more issues with gas than anyone else, it will pass. No IT does not stretch your skin.
    Make sure you follow all i instructions pre-op and post-op and you will do great.
    It is a journey....but best decision of.my life and best medical care I have ever received. What an amazing team!
  3. gbear696
    gbear696
    I agree with Nadee,
    This gas is irritating but I’m confident it will pass. My BMI was 34.5; now I’m at 28, 13weeks out.
  4. Kara2
    Kara2
    Hi my BMI was 34 and I am post op 19 weeks out. I did remember belching a lot in the beginning, but nothing too serious. My scars are dark on my tummy but I am fair skinned as well. I don’t know about what they told you. I know My surgeon does sleeves as low as 30 too with a comorbidity. I am fine, I am not losing as fast but I was told that the higher the BMI, the more you will lose. I am down 50 percent if my excess weight. My surgeons goal for me is 136 and my goal is 130, since once we Plato we seem to fluctuate 10 pounds or so...at least that’s what I’ve heard. Congratulations on your decision, just follow all the rules post and Oreo op and you will do fine. I have a friend that was sleeved before me and she had a very rough time but she did what she wanted to do also. Good luck kiddo in touch.
  5. Terribj
    Terribj
    My BMI was 39.9 and tomorrow is my 4 year anniversary. My current BMI is 24.1
    I had no bruising, the painful gas lasts for a while. I am still more gassy than I was before.
    As far as skin - it doesn't stretch.. it sags once you lose your weight. If you are young you will have a much easier time with the elasticity. Once you are cleared...lift weights to build that muscle for the skin to wrap around.
    There are areas of your body you may feel "deflates" It has been an interesting journey to say the least.
    It is and will be the bet thing I've ever done for myself.
    Best of luck !!