Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

What vegetables have you tried?

1. RockyPeaches
    RockyPeaches
    I'm 2 months post-op now and afraid to try most veggies. I've had asparagus 2x, cut into small pieces and did ok. I made zucchini and yellow squash "noodles" and it left me gassy and uncomfortable (cooked). As did cooked baby spinach. Cooked onions also don't sit well. I used to eat A LOT of veggies. Now I'm nervous to try lettuce, carrots, or anything raw, but I feel like I'm getting hungrier and want something other than meat, protein shakes, dried chickpeas and cottage cheese. For fruit I've had watermelon, grapes, and apple, but I'm trying to have less than 30g of sugar per day, so I'm not reaching for fruit.

What veggies have gone down okay for others? Anyone try brussels sprouts? Raw carrots? Salad? Peppers?

I hope everyone's doing well
  2. Christie13
    Christie13
    Sorry you are having a rough time with veggies. I have been so fortunate that I've done well with all my veggies. Maybe if you have them in a veggies soup with broth?? Just a thought. I have been avoiding fruits since my nutritionist has me on low carbs. Our bodies are adjusting to everything so it is not uncommon to have some digestive issues. So do they make you sick or what is going on when you have the veggies? Are you eating too much too quickly? I know I can still only eat a little bit. So I eat a bite or two and then have to wait a while and then go again. How about you?
  3. laurel
    laurel
    I seem to be able to eat everything. My problem is eating too fast.
  4. RockyPeaches
    RockyPeaches
    I can eat 4-6 oz usually. I haven't had soup since the liquid phase since I don't know if chunky soup is ok. The veggies so far give me gas, I'm not in pain, but it a weird discomfort, especially with the squashes. I am a quick eater which I need to work on, though nothing happens.
    Have you tried raw veggies yet or only cooked?
  5. Marian
    Marian
    I have trodd lettuce, bell pepper, green onions, cucumber and tomatoes raw. I was a bit apprehensive too, but it was really no problem. I have had several boiled veggies also no problems. But I can't eat much.
  6. Patricia7
    Patricia7
    Good Morning All:

Jumping into the Veggie conversations, I have had the zucchini noddles and I don't seem to get gassy, Califlower semi mashed hasn't bothered me, but I can't eat raw peppers at all or carrots weird how these same veggies were fine before but not now. I have been staying away from fruit because of the sugar but the ones that I am eating is fresh blueberries and raspberries along as a snack on some days. It usually about 4-6 of each and that seems to be going ok.

Like most I am really hesitant to start lettuce as well. I understand its a empty filler. I recall my nutritionist said it was ok to eat (9 weeks post surgery) but that it will fill you up fast. What I didn't like was that as much as we need to chew the lettuce it still doesn't break down as quickly. I recall before my surgery that I had a stomach ache if I ate to much salad. Im introducing it in little increments to try and get past this. Has anyone noticed that the type of lettuce has made any differences?

Laurel & RockyPeaches: YES - eating to fast is a big problem for me as well. I try and try to slow it down and almost get much in my mouth before I swallow the food - but still after eating I get that large lump in my chest that tells me I ate to fast. Do you get this as well? I wonder when this will go away. Other than sitting with a stop watch for every bite - this is the one thing that has challenged me every meal. Its a habit after 53 years I have had and I guess Im not going to change it over night.
  7. Christie13
    Christie13
    Yes to lettuce. Iceberg lettuce has always given me indigestion. Plus it is the lettuce with the least nutritional value. I've always eaten the darker lettuces and have never had issues with them. They're also more nutrient dense. I have been able to eat them now with no issues. So far though, veggies (cooked or raw) haven't given me any issues.
  8. Cherub
    Cherub
    I have cooked carrots and then chopped them in a food processor. That worked great. I have not tried others but want to try brussel sprouts soon as they are my favorites. I am 2 1/2 months post op.
  9. Christie13
    Christie13
    Mmmmm roasted brussel sprouts are the best!!!
  10. Patricia7
    Patricia7
    oh Ya, brussel spouts are great, Not sure Im ready for the the gas that comes with them. Funny though Califlower doesn't bother me and I HATE Broccoli.

I tried small glass of white wine last night, three small drinks and I felt it.. Weird. I was a big Red wine drinker but stopped fully drinking in October. My nutrionist said no alcohol because of the effect if would have on you, Didn't expect that.
  11. elle77
    elle77
    Green Beans, Mashed potatoes ( in the soft stage and sometimes before the gym or I have dizzy spells.) Tomatoes, Onions, Avocado, Green Onions, Cilantro, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Lettuce, & Cucumbers.