Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

For everyone saying they got no post op instructions...

1. Mylifeinpink
    Mylifeinpink
    Didn't you all get the email from Lousie that explained week by week what you should get getting in, and what to expect from your surgery?
    I got a 30+ page PDF and had it printed prior to surgery, and it explains nearly everything post op.
    If anyone needs this, I can forward it to you, just email me your email address, and I will forward it to you right away.
    Or you can email me directly mylifeinpink at mail dot com.
    Happy Sleeving everyone!
  2. Itstimeforme
    Itstimeforme
    could you please send that to me gdjepm@hotmail.com
    thanks,
    Denise
  3. Ms.lovely65
    Ms.lovely65
    Can you email the instructions to me. Dprice9467@yahoo.com
  4. Kim247
    Kim247
    Can I get those too! kimberlys@pacbell.net
  5. losing4good
    losing4good
    I only got a 6 page PDF for post op, can you please email me what you have?

msnow28@gmail.com

Thanks in advance
    Mike
  6. Mylifeinpink
    Mylifeinpink
    I just saw this ladies, I will get on it right now! <3
  7. Mylifeinpink
    Mylifeinpink
    ......and gents! :-)
  8. Mylifeinpink
    Mylifeinpink
    Sent both to everyone! :-)
  9. Dyanne4293
    Dyanne4293
    I still have pre and post op instructions in my email. I can forward it to someone if needed. I had my surgery on 7/17/12.
  10. nonnis
    nonnis
    I just sent and email for you requesting you to forward the instructions to me please! I hope it is not too late and you still have'em, I saw your post just now, I was sleeve on July 2012.

I will really appreciate it, thank you!
  11. TrudyL
    TrudyL
    I also only received the 6 page post op instructions. They were supposed to bring us a going away bag of sleeping pills, antibiotics, milk of magnesia and post op instructions to our room he night before we left. I never received any of it and in fact had to call the nurse to remove my drain before I could catch the shuttle to the airport! If you could email that to trudycori@gmail.com I would be forever greatful!
  12. BrendaBear
    BrendaBear
    Hi there....my surgery is March 3. Could you also send me your 30 pages of info. ? Thanks so much. beemaber@gmail.com ♡♥♡♥♡
  13. AmberNurse
    AmberNurse
    could someone please send this to me too? Having gastric sleeve may 18th 2015. Thank you! adunnlpn99@gmail.com
  14. kerrikoplin
    kerrikoplin
    I would like it as well please. Thanks email.. kerrikoplin@yahoo.com
  15. Rosepetals65
    Rosepetals65
    can you send me the post op 30 page document rosepetals65@comcast.net
  16. Lynn54
    Lynn54
    Just had surgery 2/17/15 with Dr Almanza. Post op instruction were sent to you prior to surgery. I don't really remember receiving from hospital but I do have the paperwork. Got it just can't remember. If you went thru weightloss agents I'm sure they will send again.
  17. projax5000
    projax5000
    Hey if you are still sending it out I would love a copy of the 30 page post-op instructions...that would be great...I would appreciate it...thanks..by the way how are you doing? Is it all worth it in the end?
  18. projax5000
    projax5000
    oops I wrote above...lol email is projax5000@yahoo.com
  19. meme_mayham
    meme_mayham
    dawncote_bbv90@hotmail.ca
    i would like a copy as well
  20. sharonjohnson
    sharonjohnson
    I would love a copy of the instructions! Thank you for offering! sharonjohnsonmsw@gmail.com
  21. blemons
    blemons
    I only got a 3page pdf could u send these to me also
  22. HollyInTexas
    HollyInTexas
    Please send to me as well! Hh_tx@yahoo.com. I'm gettin sleeved on 4/11/15 and also received only a 3 page instruction pdf. Every little bit helps! Thanks in advance.
  23. Monker2001
    Monker2001
    I would love to get a copy as well. Thank you!
    a.neugebauer@aol.com
  24. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    please email them to me. I miss placed them
    KaychaBaez@gmail.com
  25. Delgado2000
    Delgado2000
    Can you please email me the instructions to? estherjamesdelgado@msn.com Thank you
  26. lashby
    lashby
    I would love to get a copy, could you please send one to me as well. Thank you
    ltvs24@yahoo.com
  27. gmlowery
    gmlowery
    I would like a copy as well. michellemlowery2@aol.com
  28. shimmerini
    shimmerini
    Can I have a copy ashcol@comcast.net Thanks so much!
  29. delmary07
    delmary07
    can you email them to me as well maryde07@hotmail.com thanks .
  30. PennyV
    PennyV
    Could you send to me too? pvisser61@gmail.com

Thank you so much.
  31. SomeGuyJeff
    SomeGuyJeff
    HMN HOSPITAL
    POST-OP INSTRUCTIONS

Congratulations on your new life!! In the next 4-6 weeks, there will be many changes. The staff is here to help you make this transition. Below are your post-op instructions.
    Make sure to finish your antibiotics. If you miss a dosage, continue with your next scheduled dose. Antibiotics are a very important part of your recovery. Cipro is a large antibiotic pill.
    *It is very important to walk around after your surgical procedure. This will help clear your lungs and stop blood clots from forming. If you are flying home, it is important to move around in your seat - stretch your legs, shift position, and so on. Try to get out of your seat, and walk to the bathroom, this will keep your circulation moving.
    *At this time, clear liquids are very important. Keep a bottle of water with you, and sip, sip, sip. Gatorade is fine for the first day or two. You may also water down juice. Baby juice is also very good. Sip slowly, do not gulp. Some people will tolerate cold and some may not. It will be your choice. Popsicles, Jell-O, broth, or any other clear liquids for the next week. You still need to try to consume 6-8 cups of fluid per day. It will be hard, but try. NO
    CARBONATED BEVERAGES, WHATSOEVER. Your incisions are
    still healing and carbonation (pressurization) is not a good idea.
    *Care of your Incisions: This is very important. Please shower daily. You may wash your incisions with antibacterial soap and water (do not use body wash). Wash your incisions first and use the soap only for your incisions. Do not wash your body first and then move to washing your incisions, to prevent cross-contamination. Do not use a wash cloth or loofah during your shower. After your shower, blot the area dry with a clean gauze and use an antibacterial spray. We recommend a product called “Wound Wash”. You spray it on after showering and then apply clean gauze. You can do this 3 times a day. Change gauze - Apply
    Wound Wash - Apply fresh gauze.
    DO NOT USE Neosporin, or any petroleum based ointments. These can sometimes trap bacteria under the skin, and also prevents incisions from drying. After showering, pat dry and let your incision air dry. Do not cover, unless they are draining, or open.
    When bathing, do not reuse towels. Wash your hands before and after cleaning your incisions.
    *Stitches: Your stitches are not dissolving; they will need to be removed. You may remove them at 10-12 days. Sometimes when they are removed, you will find the incision will open, do not panic! Keep it clean and dry. We all heal at different rates, this is normal. If your physician is going to remove your stitches, rely on his or her wisdom to know when it is time. He or she may choose to remove them at 7-10 days. If you do them yourself, wait until 10-12 days. It is advised to apply steri-strips (butterfly bandages) for a couple days following removal to assist in healing. If a wound does open after your stitches were removed, do not apply neosporin, but rather leave it dry and apply butterfly bandages. You are not supposed to re-stitch it after you remove the stitches.
    IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE A LAP BAND PATIENT, DO NOT REMOVE THE
    SITICHES OVER THE PORT (THE LONGEST INCISION) FOR 21 DAYS. YOUR
    PORT IS A FOREIGN OBJECT UNDER THE SKIN, AND WILL TAKE LONGER TO HEAL.
    *Lap Band Patients: At approximately 7-10 days, your port area may become red, irritated, and cause some discomfort. You may also notice it bulging. This is normal. At some point, your incision will probably open, and drain a clear, orangish, reddish fluid. It will not have an odor. This is also normal. You do not have an infection. It is a build up of fluid behind the port and it is not being absorbed by your body. It may drain for a day or two, or a week or more. This is normal. Keep the area clean with soap and water and cover with a pad to
    absorb the drainage. DO NOT REMOVE THE STITCHES WHILE YOU ARE DRAINING.
    *Fever: Sometimes after surgery, you may feel hot and sweaty. You may have a fever, but not a temperature. This is normal. Please remember, our temperatures rise in the evening. This is due to having surgery, and is not related to an infection. Please take your temperature to make sure this is what is happening. You are on antibiotics, you should be covered.
    *Medications: You will be given any medications the Doctor wants you to take. You should leave with your antibiotics, pain medication, and sometimes other medications, depending on the surgery. Please take all of your medication until gone. You will want to break the antibiotic in half before you take it. DO NOT CRUSH IT, it will make you vomit!! *General Instructions: Please do not push, pull or lift heavy objects for up to 6 (six) weeks after your surgery. If you need a Doctors note for work, please contact us.
    *Exercise: You may start walking as soon as you can. Take it slow, and increase your distance at a comfortable rate. Do not lift weights, run, swim, or any other exercise that will cause pushing, pulling or lifting for 6 weeks. After your incisions are completely healed with no scabbing, you may enter the water (no hot tubs or Jacuzzis for 6 weeks).
    *Contact: We enjoy all of our patients. You are members of our family, and we care about your success. If at anytime you have problems, or questions, please call. It is better to call and put you at ease, then to run to the hospital for no reason. Most problems can be solved over the phone. If we feel you need medical attention, we will ask you to go to your own doctor or hospital. We will do whatever needs to be done to make sure all of your needs are met. You are very important to us, and we want this to be a great success for you.
    We want to thank you for being a member of our family, and hope you have enjoyed working with us. Remember, we are here for you when ever you may need us. Please call and/or email us and tell us about your progress. Take pictures, and measure yourself, so you can also see the process.
    Page Break
    NUTRITION PLAN
    Immediately after your surgery it is very important to follow the eating and drinking instructions to allow the procedure you underwent time to heal completely at the surgical site. This has been estimated to take a month or more. It is also important, especially in the first weeks after surgery, not to overeat or swallow large bites of food that have not been chewed extremely well. Problems may occur if these instructions are not strictly followed.
    For Lap-Band patients: when vomiting occurs, the stomach may rise up above the band placement causing slippage of the band requiring re-operation.
    NUTRITION PLAN
    Your nutrition plan is divided into phases – each phase allowing you to adjust to your new gastric pouch.
    Bariatric Surgery Post-Op Information & Diet
    NO CARBONATED BEVERAGES FOR THREE MONTHS, or alcohol for 6 weeks.
    No heavy lifting or exercise for 6 weeks (walking is fine and encouraged). For the first 2 weeks, do not lift anything over 10 pounds, and for the four weeks after that, do not lift anything over 25 pounds.
    No hot tubs or Jacuzzis for 6 weeks.
    Wound care: clean daily, gently, using only soap and water, cover with gauze or band aid or butterfly bandages.
    Follow diet as outlined below.
    Eat slowly and chew thoroughly- chew at least 25 times!
    Avoid items with large amounts of sugars, especially those in liquid form. They are filled with nonnutrient calories and slow down weight loss.
    Remember the stomach can only hold 3-4 oz after surgery. You will probably feel satisfied after 2-3 tablespoons of food. Do Not Over Eat! Over time your stomach will stretch. It takes 6-9 months (possibly longer) for your new stomach size to stabilize and allow you to determine your normal meal amount.
    Stop eating when you feel comfortably satisfied. If ignored, vomiting will follow and you can stretch the size of the stomach. If you are unable to keep anything down and are having extreme difficulty staying hydrated, sip on Gatorade which also has electrolytes necessary for normal cell function. Once you feel better, return to non-calorie beverages such as water and flat diet drinks.
    Drink at least 6 to 8 cups (8 oz) of fluid per day to prevent dehydration.
    Stop drinking liquids 15 minutes before meals and resume 30 - 45 minutes after meals.
    Eat 3 small nutrient dense meals + 1 high protein snack a day.
    Introduce new foods one at a time in order to rule out any intolerance. If a food is not tolerated, reintroduce it in 1 week.
    If you cannot tolerate dairy, substitute Lactaid for milk. You can also try soy milk fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
    Add 1 sub-lingual B12 vitamin a day (available at all local pharmacies over-the-counter).
    If you experience heartburn or acid reflux, this will be helped by taking Milk of Magnesia
    Your diet progression should be as follows:

The First Few Days Post-Op::
    The day after the operation you will begin taking in fluids, but only drink a small amount at a time. Besides water, you should also choose liquids that have an adequate number of calories. To prevent nausea and vomiting, do not drink too much at any one time.
    Clear liquids only (liquids you can see through). These include broth, Jell-O, juices (apple, cranberry, and white grape), tea or popsicles. SEE SECTION ABOUT CLEAR LIQUID DIET for more details.
    1st Week Post-Op:
    The first and second week you will be on a liquid diet. Using a straw is recommended to avoid big gulps that may cause nausea or discomfort.
    During the first week, clear liquids are recommended (water, apple, and white grape juices are recommended).
    From the fourth day on, natural fruit juices (strained, no seeds or pulp) and gelatin (small chunks, chew and dissolve) can be added if well tolerated.
    Have all the clear water that you can in between "meals".
    Room temperature liquids during the first week are recommended (slightly cold gelatin is acceptable).
    2nd to 3rd Week Post-Op:
    On your second week continue with clear liquids and gelatin and add:
    Whole natural fruit juice, use synthetic sugar to sweeten (Equal, Nutra-Sweet, Stevia, etc.). Pear and Apple pure Soups (broth):
    Potato
    Tomato
    Lentil
    Vegetable
    Chicken
    3rd to 4th Week Post-Op (Home Soft Diet):
    Blended meat and poultry (the texture of baby food), soft poached eggs
    Canned and/or ****** baby foods that are low in sugar and higher in protein (meat and chicken) are acceptable.
    Low fat cottage cheese, sugar free puddings
    Unsweetened applesauce, pureed canned peaches (not in syrup), mashed ripe bananas
    Blended soft cooked vegetables, or overcooked and mashed with a fork
    Oatmeal, grits, farina
    Food Suggestions for Home Soft Diet
    Food Group Food Choices
    Bread, Cereal, Pasta, and Rice: 1-2 serving/s 1= cup
    Hot cereal (with skim milk) – unsweetened oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits
    Fruit: 1-2 serving/s 1 = cup
    Unsweetened applesauce, pureed canned / ****** peaches and pears in their own juice (not syrup), any fruit pureed without the skin, mashed ripe banana
    Vegetable: 1-2 serving/s 1 = cup
    Any vegetable (except corn) cooked soft and blended or mashed with the back of a fork. Make sure broccoli and cauliflower are cooked very well.
    Meat, Poultry, Fish, Nuts, Beans and Eggs: 2-3 serving/s 1 = cup
    Chopped up soft poached eggs or scrambled egg, egg salad with low fat mayo, blended meat, poultry, and flaked fish (fillet) cooked very soft and moist (mix with lemon, light dressing, a pinch of oil), blended tuna salad without vegetables, very soft/moist meatloaf (after one week), gefilte fish, and silken tofu.
    Milk, Cheese, and Yogurt: 3-4 serving/s 1 =cup
    Skim milk or Skim Plus, low fat or non-fat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, sugar free custards and puddings, non-fat unsweetened / low sugar yogurt, sugar free frozen yogurt, and sugar free fat free ice cream.
    Fats and Oils: Limit all Miscellaneous:

Canned soups, homemade soups (vegetable, meat, poultry contents should be overcooked or blended) - limit cream soups – Healthy choice, Progresso Lite, and Healthy Request, egg drop soup and Miso soup.

Sugar free Jell-O, sugar free popsicles (Dole, Starburst), Pedialyte popsicles, and sugar-free/fat free ice cream.

Artificial sweeteners which are acceptable: NutraSweet / Equal, Sweet n’ Low/ Saccharine and
    Splendid/ Sucralose
    Liquids: Sip throughout the day but not during meals. Try to drink at least 6 to 8 cups (8 oz) of fluid per day.

Flat diet soda, skim milk or Skim Plus, Crystal Light, decaf coffee and tea, all broths, any sugar free
    beverages, and water!
    4-6 Weeks Post-Op:
    All foods previously tolerated, tofu, fish and seafood, thinly sliced deli turkey or ham and other luncheon meats, slices of low fat cheese, unsweetened canned or cooked fruit, potatoes, squash, unsweetened cereal with skim milk or skim plus, boiled chicken in broth (cut up in small pieces), crisp toast and crackers, beans and peas, and lean, moist ground turkey and beef.
    6-8 Weeks Post-Op:
    Diced poultry (no skin), vegetable burgers, soft cooked vegetables, soft fruits (watermelon, honeydew, peaches, and plums), and well-cooked pasta.
    3. Months Post-Op:
    Rice, un-toasted bread, lean and moist meat and poultry.
    4. Months Post-Op:
    Veal, crunchy fruits and vegetables (including salads). Beef and pork can be introduced but poultry and fish are recommended due to lower fat content.
    The diet should always be high in protein and low in refined carbohydrates (white flour).
    Preferably, choose protein first, then fruits and vegetables, and then whole grains.
    STOCK YOUR PANTRY
    Before you have surgery, it is encouraged that you plan ahead and stock your kitchen with foods that will support your nutritional needs for the months following surgery. The following are suggestions to get you started.
    DRY GOODS
    Whey protein powder
    Vitamin/mineral supplements
    Natural peanut butter (for after you graduate from liquids)
    Almond butter, soy-nut butter (for after you graduate from liquids)
    Cocoa powder
    Benefiber
    Crushed flax seed (for after you graduate from liquids)

LIQUIDS
    Herbal teas
    Bottled water (non-sparkling) Do not drink Pellegrino or Perrier as it is carbonated and you must avoid carbonation.
    Crystal Lite
    No calorie beverage (non-carbonated)
    Ice Pops
    Smoothies (seedless)

FRUITS
    Sugar free frozen fruit
    Sugar free canned fruit
    Applesauce
    Baby pureed fruits

SOUPS
    Low fat cream based soups
    Vegetable soups