Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

16 days until surgery

1. BelleKreyol
    BelleKreyol
    Good afternoon...

My name is Belle and I will be having surgery Jan 2017. You can check my blog post to hear a little more about how I got to this point. I will be having a lap band revision in Cancun Mexico. I am excited and nervous all the same. I know I need to get my band out and get back on my weight loss journey. But I worry about my children, the possibility of death and everything in between. Like many of you, I haven't been able to sleep well. Otherwise, I feel very prepared. I have gotten quite a few things on my list including Gas X, Pepcid, Heating Pad, etc.

As for my weight, I put on a few pounds since Thanksgiving. I will be starting my pre-op diet, so I suspect I will go back down to 197. I was 204 last week, just checked today, I'm like 202.

I'd love to hear about your journey. Anyone headed to Cancun during this period?

Belle
  2. TarotAces
    TarotAces
    Hi Belle! Sorry it took me soo long to respond to your post. I did see it a while ago but got pretty busy with family stuff.

I'm not sure if anyone in the January 2017 Sleevers is having surgery in Cancun (you could always look at the members list to double check). I know there is a group here for your specific surgeon, and if you have surgeon specific topics you need advice, etc on that'd probably be your best bet. But don't let that stop you from posting here! I'd love to be part of your support and have you as part of mine.

As far as my journey goes my pre-decision to have VSG info is mostly on my about me page. After that, it's been kinda crazy. lol

I decided to have VSG, chose Dr. Almanza as my surgeon (mostly due to cost and the location being easy for me). Once I was approved for surgery I secured financing to cover the cost and set my date. That all happened over about 8 days, decision point to 'paid'. Kind of felt like a whirlwind; which I was and am still happy about. I can't imagine having to wait years at this point. It also didn't give my brain much time to do its usual overly analytical stuff and has effected my sleep quite a bit. My somewhat anxiety prone brain is having a field day LOL.

After surgery was 'paid' I had a few days to prepare myself for a cross country move. I flew to TX to pick up my Ex, who is still one of my best friends, and all our stuff in a big UHaul truck; and we drove back out here (WA state)... through Winter Storm Decima... RIGHT through it! 20 degrees below zero.. Ice everywhere, crazy winds, snow... it was an experience for sure. Once we got here we had an entire 2 bedroom house to unload into an apartment. That took a week. And I'm STILL working on little stuff getting where it should be.

My surgeon is requiring me to do a 10 day pre-op liquids diet, which I decided to start 5 days early. I am glad I did. I have lost 13 lbs in preparation, SO FAR, and am pretty sure the glycogen in my liver is exiting rapidly and that will definitely make my surgery easier. Doing the extended pre-op liquids diet is making me feel like I am accomplishing something toward the surgery, and is easing my brain in a weird way. It's also given me a lot more energy and I have noticed an improvement in my mood over the last week. (The first 3 days are the hardest, truly. And after that the only issues I have are mental desirings of foods I shouldn't have; which I am really proud of ignoring)

My liquid pre-op diet outlined in a blog post I made if you're interested.

Now, surgery is one week away and I am MOSTLY ready. I am thinking today I will start thinking about what to WEAR for travel down, travel back, and while I'm there. It'll be cold here, and warm there which complicates 'packing light'. Also knowing I need abdominally loose fitting clothes is making my brain work extra hard. (I'm sure you can tell by now the types of anxieties that are keeping me up nights; good news is it's NOT really worry about dying on the table or anything, anymore.)

Well, I think that pretty much covers my journey. LOL.... I didn't mean for my post to be so long. I guess I needed to 'get it out' and share. So, thanks for asking.

I'd love to hear more about your journey as well. I value the opportunity that these forums have given me, all of us, to create a support network that I wouldn't have otherwise as a Mexico VSG patient.
  3. BelleKreyol
    BelleKreyol
    Great to hear from you. When I hear people say wls is the easy way out, I think to myself they must not know what we go through to prepare. Hearing you talking about moving miles in a winter storm all while getting your body ready for surgery reaffirms my belief that we are stronger than we know. There is nothing easy about this process. For me this is my second time around the block since I am a lap-band revision. My band slipped and I had to remove the liquid, leaving me with little restriction. But the process is still very similar to prepare for the VSG. In 1 week I will be in Mexico. The diet is not easy, but what else can I do but get through it.

Belle
  4. jenny53669
    jenny53669
    1 more week! It is getting so close. I'm really excited, really scared at the same time! I watched an episode of My 600-lb life last night (which probably isn't a great idea right before surgery) and it was the one with the twins. I don't like thinking about the actual surgery but hey, we'll be asleep during it!
  5. BelleKreyol
    BelleKreyol
    My feelings are a ball of hot mess. Some days I am calm other days completely a wreck. My pre-op is going ok, except the scale isn't moving much. I did notice my clothes are looser. I must be losing inches. I also have been exercising on my elipticle. My hubby took me walking early yesterday morning. I just want the week to be over already so I can be done with this. I am ready to say byebye to my port especially since I've always hated the lump it caused on my tummy even after a TT.

Hope you guys are doing well!

Belle
  6. DonnaH
    DonnaH
    My surgery is tomorrow and i am a nervous wreck. Excited and scared. Hope everyone has a great surgery and easy recovery.
  7. BelleKreyol
    BelleKreyol
    Good luck Donna! I travel today.
  8. Leslieann
    Leslieann
    Good luck on the traveling to everyone...you'll be back home before you know it!!!!!
  9. TarotAces
    TarotAces
    Sorry for my lack of response until now. I've been wrapped up in my post-op adjusting. (infected incision/suture sites that grew over the sutures before they were able to be removed is, so far, my only complication and that is clearing up now that the sutures are out)

I'm SOO happy for all of us and this great start to our new lives. I wish us all, all the best in building new lives that support us and make us happy and healthy.

<3