Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

One week 'till January, lets REALLY discuss how we're feeling

1. TarotAces
    TarotAces
    One week left in December, and then it's the month of surgery for all of us. I don't know about you, but I am really starting to feel nervous, anxious, and excited. I don't have any trepidation or hesitations really, just a generalized anxiety and nervousness. I've started losing sleep as my mind is more and more wound up subconsciously. I notice my mind drifting to odd things at odd times; in the middle of a conversation about a non-surgery related topic I'll wonder how bad my 'bat wings' will be or if I'll have hanging skin at my knees.

I have definitely not met my personal goals these past few weeks. I had intended to start on a high protein low carb diet about a week ago, though it was not required by my surgeon, and can only blame the entire house being in a state of chaos due to the move and a slight laziness on my part over the last 2 days for not getting started. I mean, I'm not sure why I feel badly for not having finished unpacking and settling the house; the moving truck only got unloaded 3 days ago. According to my pre-op instructions I have until Jan. 1st to start my high-protein liquids with lean protein serving at dinner time, and yet I feel like I am wasting valuable time by not getting a 'jump start' somehow.

As you may have noticed, I am also starting to deal with my thoughts jumping off track rather frequently lately. I'm not sure if that's related at all to the nerves over the upcoming surgery or if it's just because of all of the other major life things happening or about to happen in my life (aside from VSG).

I've also noticed that no one who knows about my VSG (4 people closest to me) is really focused on it or making it seem like they think it's a big deal. I'm not sure how they REALLY feel about my having surgery and am unsure if it's a big deal to them or not and I find myself wishing that I had a person in my daily life that was going through this too so I wouldn't feel like wanting to talk about it and go over things repeatedly is a bother; and yes I know this is MY internal stuff and not actually coming from anything they have said or done.

Anyway, just thought I'd share what's going on with me inside my head a bit with you all in case it helps you do the same. I know we have people who support us in life, but I think it'd be nice to foster a closer connection with some people actually going through the surgery so we have people we can turn to in those moments of uncertainty, etc.

How is everyone else feeling? What kinds of things are you finding your thoughts center around? Are you sleeping normally? How are your family/friends (IF they know about surgery) handling/dealing with your upcoming surgery? Let's talk!

2. Leslieann
    Leslieann
    I have the same feelings. I start my preop tomorrow...Christmas day! I hope I can get through it. I find myself getting up at 3am, thinking about it. I'm just worried that I'll do something wrong.
  3. ollina
    ollina
    Hi TarotAces thx for sharing your feelings. My surgery is on the 16th Jan and I also only have 1 week of preop diet. I also had "plans" for the months/weeks ahead surgery but for various reason I haven't really changed my diet or increased exercise as much as I was planning to. I don't feel too nervous about surgery (yet) maybe things will change in a week of 2! We are going to Spain next week for a few days, then the week after I will have to start the preop diet. Sometimes I have random thoughts "what if something terrible happens during/after surgery". The thing is, rationally I am going with a very good surgeon and the chances of serious complications are limited. On the other hand doing nothing and let the weight go up will almost certainly lead to health issues given my family history of diabetes!
  4. griz9112
    griz9112
    Anxious and nervous as heck especially now that I am not preoccupied by the holidays!
  5. TarotAces
    TarotAces
    I've started having more trouble sleeping these last few days. Last night I laid in bed for 3 hours before I could fall asleep and I woke up 5 hours later; still thinking about surgery.

I've started my pre-op diet, early. I was told I need a 10 day high protein/low carb liquid diet and have decided that longer would be better. Not that I WANT to punish myself... but I really want to do what I can to lower risk of complications and shedding all the glycogen from my liver prior to surgery seems like the best thing I CAN do.

My surgeon says to start walking 30 minutes a day in order to reduce risk of complications, etc... but if I COULD walk 30 minutes a day I wouldn't be having surgery. My main reason for surgery is to lose enough weight that my knees and back can HANDLE going for a walk, so I can get healthy again. It's just been in the last 4 years that I became really incapable of much physical activity. I miss all the fun things like hiking and skating, but REALLY miss the simple things like not hurting so badly that I cry from carrying a load of laundry downstairs and across the building to the laundry room.

Sorry if I rambled, I think I've got a lot swirling around just under the surface of my mind and not having someone to REALLY talk to about all of it is kinda driving me batty.

So... 14 days from surgery for me, and the nerves are kicking in.
  6. BelleKreyol
    BelleKreyol
    Hi,

I'm a newbie to this site but having surgery early Jan. I am definitely feeling the anxiety and nerves. I can barely think straight these days. I have moments when I think what the heck am I getting myself into. And other moments, when I am excited to lose weight again and back to my post-lapband pre-baby weight. I know what I look like 80 lbs lighter. This time around I am just interested in shedding those 40+lbs I gained over the last 3 years.

Anyhow...glad to hear I am not alone.

Belle