Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Are we getting excited yet?

1. thicknsweet
    thicknsweet
    I am. You know you're ready when the excitement is bigger than the fear. Let's all keep in touch and check in on each other. Anyone sweating this?
  2. Healthmyself
    Healthmyself
    I'm excited! Although the work has begun....off caffeine so I don't have to suffer those withdrawals post op. And start the liver shrink food plan on Monday
  3. Pam G
    Pam G
    Definitely excited...but still scared, too. I was talking to my intensive care nurse daughter, who let me know about all the horrible things that can go wrong with even the simplest of procedures!! She reminded me to give her my medical power of attorney and bring a living will with me to the hospital!!

My belly has been growing, even though I seem to be losing in other places, which makes me nervous about my liver being too large!

I'm also going to start drinking decaf in preparation for the no coffee. I thought I was going to start today, but ugh, I was dragging.....

May 27...hurry up and get here!
  4. foreversmiling21
    foreversmiling21
    I am excited and ready for the new journey. I encourage you ladies to watch some videos from Dr Matthew Weiner on u-tube...lots of great info. As far as the liver goes...Dr Weiner said he never puts his patients on liquid diets as the liver has to be lifted anyways and the little amount of weight that is lost is not significant enough which i thought was very interesting. My surgery is May 16th....25 more days. Can't some soon enough!!!
  5. Pam G
    Pam G
    http://www.thedavisclinic.com/blog

this bariatric center has goods blogs from their docs.. check it out
  6. Healthmyself
    Healthmyself
    Foreversmiling....agreed on the dr wiener vids....they are really good. I've watched quite a few and will keep going back to them as each topic relates to my journey.

It does sound like the liver shrink isn't that big of a deal. I'm doing it because my nutritionist thought it would be good to also cut out carbs and get used to smaller amounts, practice letting go of my attachment to large amts of food.... be more mindful, track my calories ....kind of a gentle gear up for the 3 day prior and post op nourishment plans. I think I'm carb addicted and was caffeine addicted. I didn't want the post surgical phase to be any more uncomfortable than necessary so getting those two things under control makes me feel less fearful of having withdrawals after the surgery.
  7. thicknsweet
    thicknsweet
    Yes, I have one week to go. Can't believe how fast it's creeping up on me. I've been working my ass off so I don't have a lot of time to focus on the surgery. I do have a plan though: starting tomorrow, I'm taking laxatives and just completely cleaning out. I'm moving to a raw vegan diet by tuesday to lighten up, help move old stool through and make life that mush easier post op. A few days before surgery, I'm going to drink a gallon of water a day because I can't drink a damn thing after midnight next Sunday and I'm usually a thirsty person in the morning... So lots to focus on and then it'll be here.
  8. Healthmyself
    Healthmyself
    Just a week ? Eeekk.
    Im 2.5 weeks out. Good ideas on staying really busy, and the colon cleanse. I should do that the weekend before I leave ...when i can stay home and close to the bathroom!
    You got this! Just keep reminding yourself you're the captain of your own boat and already know or can easily learn, what keeps it on best course. This will be an amazing journey!
  9. Pam G
    Pam G
    I'm jealous, I still have 5 weeks to wait!
  10. Alaska Girl B
    Alaska Girl B
    I am having gastric sleeve on May 30th. My husband is going with me. I am making lists right now if what I need to take with me. I have a list of liquids to purchase. I am getting a lot of great advice from reading others responses to their surgery and what worked for them. Sounds like nausea is something that happens to everyone. I am going to clean out my clothes closet in a few days. I am at work for two more days and then home for two. I am looking so forward to feeling and being healthy.
  11. Shirl
    Shirl
    Did I mentioned I am still super stoked!

I started this process on Thanksgiving week, I met with the surgeon just a few days before. I went through ups and downs of mostly fears of surgery, not able to eat whatever the f I wanted or drink whenever I felt like it. I found myself utterly attached to food, and had food funerals that made me gain weight initially, but as soon as I started to talk to my nutritionist I was able to work out some issues. Also, finding this forum in mid-March was really helpful too! reading peoples struggles pre, post and those on maintence really put things in perspective.

This month I started replacing breakfast and dinner with high protein shakes, ate mostly chicken and fish and salads for lunch, and healthy snacks in between. I also started taking my vitamins regularly, I bought the bariatric advantage cheweblas which are too sweet and generally discusting, but I blend them in my protein shake or disolve in my water and it flavors it just fine. I bought the Costco Women's multivitamin gummies and those are delicious! I double up servings. I also started taking extra biotin, but those are horse pills so I don't take everyday, but now that I know my surgery date will start up again. I also take Omega3 supplements. I have stopped caffeine altogether, I started about two months ago, and weaned myself off. I had major migraine headaches for a while, but I survived. I have been consistent with my food log for about three weeks now. Despite all this my weight has been slow coming off. I have lost a total of 13lbs since January. Considering that other than walking I had no formal exercise, I am happy.

I believe my surgeon's office will put me on a very restrictive diet two weeks prior, I have to go in this Friday and discuss the next steps. I am hoping to loose another 10lbs prior to surgery. The gastric sleeve is suppose to help us reduce 60% of our body weight so that still leaves me with another 40lbs I would have to work super hard to loose if I want to be in a risk-free health zone (presumably).

So I am fully aware that the gastric sleeve will not be magic wand, but a tool, that if I use right will help me achieve and maintain an ideal healthy weight for me. I have not been a normar slender weight at anytime during my adult life, so I do not know what that will be like, all I want is to live a healthy and balanced life in body, mind, heart and spirit.