Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

I have made the decision for surgery in Mexico. Now which surgeon?

1. Nursesrock99
    Nursesrock99
    Hi

I am a 39 year old Registered nurse, mom of 6 and I also care for my grandmother full time in my home. I have started looking into surgery for about 6 months. My insurance actually covers weight loss surgery but they only will cover the BI-Pass. After careful thinking I have decided that the bi-pass is not for me. A coworker had surgery with Dr. almanza and has had a great experience. I am nervous about reading some reviews although I am aware that people may have complications no matter who the surgeon is. I am looking for advice on surgeons in mexico. My husband is not very supportive of this decision,mainly because of his fear of me having surgery in another country and being so far away if something went wrong. I could really use advice and encouragement.
  2. princabessa
    princabessa
    I researched and I am very happy with my decision. I went with Dr Almanza and it was the best decision of my life. I follow the other sleevers from my day 4/11/15. We are all doing very well. he is thorough and knows what he is doing. I would highly recommend him. I would have stayed one more day. I had to use the bathroom a few times on plane home but that was it. I had surgery sat and I shopped for five hours on Monday in downtown Tijuana/ Good luck. I went from 212 to 150 and I feel great. I feel a little stuck at 150 but now I just need to minimize carbs, increase water and start working out!!!! Best of Luck to you. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I am 45 and feeling fabulous. donna
  3. RoDean
    RoDean
    I had my surgery with Dr. Almanza in Mexico, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself and my health. I had zero problems and I am so very much healthier and happier than I ever thought possible. My husband loves my new self confidence. He went with me, saw and experienced everything I did with the exception of the surgery itself and he was very much at ease by the time they came and took me to the operating room.
  4. Teriona
    Teriona
    Thank you guys for the response even though I did not ask the question. I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Almanza and is quite excited myself. I have one week to go! Pray for you guys.
  5. Luann
    Luann
    I went with Dr. Alejandro Lopez. He has vast experience with bariatric surgery and I felt more comfortable with him having a reasonable cap on max number of surgeries per day. There are many qualified & experienced surgeons in Mexico. Juan Corvala is probably top of the line from what I have read, as is the facility as far as Tijuana goes - Hospital Angeles. Hindsight being 20/20, if I had it to over again I think it would have been more comfortable with paying a bit more & having my surgery at this facility. Would be good with choosing Dr. Lopez again but would not return to mi doctor hospital.
  6. Erikaash
    Erikaash
    I went through be-lite and went to star medica in Juarez. The care was top notch and I stayed in the hospital for the entire trip. I was turned off by the place that sends you to a hotel to recover!
  7. Tray9112
    Tray9112
    Hello,

I had surgery on 11/16/15 with Dr. Almanza. He is great and the staff was great as well. The hotel was nice and I am a snot when it comes to hotels. You will be fine the facts are that it is a major surgery and things can go wrong. I was worried as well when I read some of the reviews but I knew 3 people that had went to him and were very happy. I am down 40 pounds it isn't easy but it is worth it. You will have moments after the surgery that you question what you did to yourself because eating isn't fun anymore. But as you start to see the body that you have always wanted you will know you did the right thing. Wishing you the best in your knew life.

Tray
  8. Beautiful
    Beautiful
    I am having surgery today with dr Almanza , so far so good not nervous at all just ready and excited
  9. Nursesrock99
    Nursesrock99
    Has anyone heard of Doctor quinones? So far I'm even more confused who to pick. Almanacs, Ortiz, ponce, quinones? Sigh
  10. Munecagirl85
    Munecagirl85
    I had my thru belite.com as did a couple of my friends w zero complications. Nor have they. Dr rodriguez and his parnter 6800 plus 50 for meds and ofcourse ur plane ticket mine was dlne nov 10 at star medica in jaurez mexico and i went alone and had no issues
  11. Kindle
    Kindle
    I went to Obesity Contol Center. It is an International Center of Excellence in TJ. My surgeons were Dr. Ariel Ortiz and Dr. Arturo Martinez, both Bariatric Surgeons of Excellence. Dr. Ortiz is also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and has actually taught laparoscopic surgery technique in the US and Canada. Fantastic care while there - the entire staff is dedicated exclusively to bariatric surgical care, they were friendly, incredibly helpful, skilled, and spoke perfect English. Easy, pain free recovery...back to work in 7 days.

The followup communication is also great. They have been available for any and all questions I had both before and after surgery via phone and email, including the surgeons, cardiologist, nutritionist, anesthesiologist, office manager and followup Doctor. Much easier to get a hold of than the US surgeon that removed my gall bladder. They keep tabs on me as well, just got a couple emails from them checking on my progress at two years out!
  12. kendraavant_ortiz
    kendraavant_ortiz
    My daughter and I both had dr. Almanza. Everything went well we are both doing fine and she just had her this past week with Beautiful.
  13. pauldarosaranch
    pauldarosaranch
    I'm am a LPN. Going on 2/8 with a friend that is an RN. We have several friends that have already had dr almanza do their surgery. All nurses. Yes he has some bad things that have happened. But I have worked with many surgeons that have had issues. Bad things will happen with every dr. Every surgery is a chance.
  14. Stacy'sSleevedLife
    Stacy'sSleevedLife
    I have heard great things about Dr. Illan, Dr. Zalvaza and Dr. J Lopez. I was sleeved in Tijuana 3 years ago but do not recommend my doctor. I am down 124 pounds.

Good luck

Stacy