Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Is your Sleeve a secret?

1. LizzySand
    LizzySand
    I'm curious if ya'll told everyone about your sleeve, o if you preferred to keep it private.

I told a few people that would have to know b/c I would need their help after surgery (my mom and in-laws) and of course, my husband.

I didn't tell anyone at work and I'm wondering when people are going to start asking why I'm not joining them for lunch anymore. (I work in a small office and we usually all go to lunch together).

I told everyone I was having surgery to correct my hiatal hernia and that is it.
  2. SkinnyMcKinney
    SkinnyMcKinney
    I am not really keeping it secret - I just don't mention it unless asked specifically.
  3. Nebraska
    Nebraska
    I have only told my mom and husband. I feel this was a private decision for me.
  4. Megand
    Megand
    Mine started out as a secret but a big mouth overheard a discussion with my boss and now pretty much everyone knows. I go back on Monday and I am quite anxious now because everyone is expecting me to be skinny overnight. I am personally going for healthy.
  5. LizzySand
    LizzySand
    Megand: I would be so ticked! I am sorry that happened to you.

I really wanted to not tell anyone but my husband. But I had to have my Mom and In-Laws help. My Mom thinks I should tell my sister b/c her feelings may be hurt if she finds out about the surgery later.
  6. brooke925
    brooke925
    Hello Guys,
    I TOLD ONE PERSON. The only person that knows about this surgery is my 21 year old daughter. I hate it when co-workers gets into each other's personal lives. If they will talk about each other to me, I know (with out a doubt) that they will talk about me to each other (which I'm sure they already do) lol! Anyway, I give them nothing! My family is very opinionated and I feel that I already know what their responses would be.
    My daughter has been against this from day one... out of fear, she really didn't want me to have this surgery. If I didn't need her to drive me from the hospital, she wouldn't know either. I'm not at all afraid that she will say anything to anybody. #1, she knows how I am about attention on me and #2, she's a college student with more important things to talk about. Hence, the reason I am on these sites! lol! I really need and want to talk to other people who will understand where I coming from with this surgery.
  7. rageddy
    rageddy
    Only my immediate family knows.
  8. Firebreak
    Firebreak
    I am open with everyone about it. Everyone at work knows, and all my family knows. My wife didn't agree that I should tell people, but I felt that they would figure it out anyway and I would rather them talk to me then behind my back. It has been a very positive experience for me so far.
  9. Irishnurse13
    Irishnurse13
    Initally I told my boss, my Mom and dad. But my mom has a huge mouth and she felt it was ok to tell everyone else in my family. At first I wanted it to be private, I'm not sure why. I guess it was the fear of other people judging me for my choice. Anyone else feel that way? I thought I would get the "Oh, you lost weight, BUT you had surgery" Like it was the EASY way out. Little do they know this has been the hardest thing I've ever committed to in my life. But, I'm at the point where I don't care what other people think. Well at least for the most part! LOL
  10. usarmy
    usarmy
    I kept it between my immediate family and my boss. I knew she would not tell(mil) but two of my closets coworker( whom we have all been struggling over our weight together) did not know until I called them after I got home from the hospital. Because I have known them for years I already knew how they felt (not for it). This is my journey, my health my family. This was not going to be a group decision. Yes they felt betrayed but they also knew me and why I did what I did. I go back to work 23Rd have lost some noticeable weight. I was so stress I brought the book weight loss for dummies and will Xerox the part about dealing with coworkers. All want be happy for you even if it's saving your life. Bottom line I wouldn't have Changed a thing. I'm sure I'll be the lunch topic for that day.
  11. Jbnelson
    Jbnelson
    Yes and no. I had surgery with my mom and she has told a lot of people. Personally I have told only a handful of people. I lost most of my weight a few years back. I am ashamed to admit I went surgery after gaining most of it back. Maybe when I get down a bit more I will be more open about it.
  12. Cakemaker
    Cakemaker
    yes and no....only my immediate family husband and close friends knew before my surgery but now 7 weeks out my mother tells anyone who mentions my weight loss so i kind of cant be bothered any more.. if people know , they know ....if they ask me specifically about it i will chat about it....for me now its not about hiding the surgery but not wanting to do the whole Q&A with every single person when they find out..... so if i can get away with saying "protien diet and no more soda" i will lol
  13. Ali72
    Ali72
    I am very open about it. All my family/friends/coworkers know I the procedure. I do not mind any questions they have. Especially from those who want the surgery but are not sure what it entails.
  14. eladams
    eladams
    I was very open at first when I was banded, but had some pretty negative backlash that I was not equipped to deal with at the time... I was just revised to a sleeve on October 27th, and I am very open about the sleeve. I had already lost 120 pounds with the band, and had dealt with some of the things that I was not able to deal with at the time of the band... If someone has an issue with my surgery, that is their problem, not mine. I found this time around that people are genuinely curious about the process, and actually had several people ask for referrals to my surgeon
  15. lwmatch
    lwmatch
    Wife and my sons know. Nurse at my work knows. To anyone else I am getting two hernias repaired, which I actually am, lol. Both of my sons have been sleeved with good results.