Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Following Up/Current Situation

1. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Hey everyone so I haven't really posted since my last post "Mexico. Up to this point" in which I shared my experience with Dr. Almanza thus far.

I was happy with how everything went in Mexico and didn't think much of it. On the day that I left Mexico and travelled back to FL I was very fatigued, constant cold sweat, and had issues intaking water as I wanted to. I didn't think much of it, I figured I was obviously going to feel this way since I was traveling 12 hours and no longer connected to Fluids. I got home at 12am FL time on Saturday the 6th. I left Tijuana Friday the 6th at 1:35pm.
    When I got home, I tried to get some fluids in and knocked out. I was so tired I slept well over 12hrs but it wasn't straight through, I was awake a few hours at a time I between.

Sunday the 7th I felt horrible! I was nauseated, it was physically painful to drink any fluids so I was just eating ice chips. Then where my drain was starting leaking dark red mucusy blood, no pus, and after about 3 minutes of it gushing the fluid was clear again. I know when a drain is removed it's normal there may be some leaking because there's still a lot of inflammation and all that fluid needs to go somewhere. I was surprised of the amount but not concerned because again there was no pus or foul smell.

Later in the evening on Sunday the 7th I spiked a sudden fever. I was pale, I was weak, I was extremely fatigued. I called WLA and was advised I can take Children's Motrin (FALSE, after a sleeve no Motrin/Ibuprofen of any kind should ever be taken). I didn't know at the time so my sister went to the pharmacy, got me Children's Motrin, I took 15mL/3teaspoons of it and went to bed. I did help my fever. On

Monday The 8th I felt the same, and continued with on and off fevers, at this point my mother was like "we're going to the hospital, you can't even walk without feeling dizzy"
    I go to Celebration Hospital, FL because it's in my neighborhood and happens to have one of the top Bariatric Surgeons and Centers in the Nation. Lab work can back with my white blood cell and platelets count very high. I had a CT Scan, XRay,Blood Culture and a series of other tests done. I was immediately started on fluids and admitted.

The Bariatric Surgeon informed my family and I of the heart breaking following. There was both Air and Liquid in the upper part of my stomach, an indication that there is a hole in my new pouch. I am now inpatient in the Bariatric Unit, I have a PIC Line and I can not eat or drink anything orally for minimum 5 days. They are giving me all my nutrition via PIC Line in order to let the stomach rest and heal on its own. This morning, I was informed the hole in my stomach is at the top and it's due to the pouch not being properly sealed. He was unable to determine if it was due to surgical error OR if it slightly opened after. Either way he said, it shouldn't have opened if it was properly sealed in the first place (obviously he's favoring that it could have been surgical error)
    Nonetheless, I'm alive, in good hands and doing any I can do to help in the process! I'll be here for a while!

Just wanted to give an update!
  2. Cyndy-loo
    Cyndy-loo
    OMG - I am so glad you are on the path to recovery. Hope everything goes well.
  3. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    I've lost 20lbs since my pre-op diet.
    I would recommend for anyone who is doing well but feels "sick" or is having and issue with their fluid intake, pressure etc. Visit your local hospital where they can do all sorts of test to ensure your new pouch is ok!
    FYI I was also informed, pouch leaks tests, leaks are not liquid, it's Air and it's not always accurate. Also. Contrast Fluid should be at least 8oz.
  4. Shanelle
    Shanelle
    Glad you are ok and you were able to catch the leak quickly! I'm seriously freaking out about this though, I'm supposed to go in for surgery in a week with Dr. Almanza as well... It makes me wonder, why do they bother doing the leak tests in Mexico if they aren't doing them correctly?
  5. JMiller
    JMiller
    Girl like I told you on the phone I am so glad you are okay and so much of the experience pissed me off. I think they have us the wrong medicines and gave them the wrong way. Needless to say I won't be going back to Mexico for anything else
    In the future. Hugs and prayers hang in there. Call me and keep me posted
  6. SoReady4Change
    SoReady4Change
    I am so sorry this happened to you. I had surgery with him on June 4th. When they showed you the xray how did it look. Please continue to let us know how you are doing. Based on what you have stated, I will look to see if I experience any of that. So far, I have been able to drink w/o difficulty etc. I was able to even swallow my pills. I am praying for you. You will be fine.
  7. aldugan
    aldugan
    I pray you get well soon and all works out!
  8. Ann2
    Ann2
    Good gosh! Soooo glad you are in good hands and that your mom is in your corner on this. Good for her!

Welcome home.
  9. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Thanks everyone!
    These hunger pains are horrible! My stomach is so upset with me! No eating or drinking is not hard but my stomach pains are.
    Doing it all for my pouch!